POLL: Negotiation over Martial's contract extension have stalled | Times: United to hold fresh talks

Would you like to see Martial sign a new contract?

• Total voters

Martia11

I would be absolutely devastated even if any one of De Gea, Pogba or Martial leave and now there are exit rumours surrounding all 3.......

JK-27

Our top scorers from our current squad:
  1. Mata - 39
  2. Martial - 36
  3. Zlatan - 29
  4. Rashford - 29
  5. Valencia - 25
Not bad considering he's been on the wing most of that time.
This table doesn't paint the good story you think it does. Mata, a midfielder who is not renowned for being a goal scorer, has scored more goals than Martial, despite only being at the club a season longer and playing in midfield.

Rashford has played a lot less games than Martial, but has scored nearly as much (and been on the wing most of the time).

Zlatan has scored nearly as many goals in his one true season than Martial has in 3 seasons.

This table actually shows what a relatively poor return we've get from Martial considering his talent.

Number1

You can't say Martial isn't as good as people think and then start going on about Rashford. Surely they're both in the same boat, but I think many would accept Martial is the better of the two.
Would they?

I'm not saying Rashford is perfect, but he's only 20, but i believe even a 20 year old Rashford is better than a 22 year old Martial and Manchester United are much stronger with Rashford on the pitch than Martial.

A 19 year old Martial over a 19/20 year old Rashford that's tougher to call, but that's the problem, people are still seeing the Martial of 3 years ago, not Martial how he is now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I want him to sign a new contract. He's part of our attacking problem though (along with plenty of others). Despite his pretty decent stats being pushed around, his movement and general contribution to our play isn't great most of the time.

JK-27

If we lose Martial just because we brought in Sanchez to play on the left, we will have made a massive mistake. Put Sanchez on the right or centrally ffs. The left wing didn't need improving, Martial was doing well there.
Martial isn't a winger though, that's probably why he's stalling, he wants to be a striker and wants gaurantees he's going to get to play that role. He's a square peg in a round hole.

Bale is a winger, Sanchez is a winger. Imagine Lukaku up top, with Bale on the left and Sanchez on the right (and they could swap sides during games to confuse and torment defenses). That would be a front three of round pegs in round holes, how it's supposed to be.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This table doesn't paint the good story you think it does. Mata, a midfielder who is not renowned for being a goal scorer, has scored more goals than Martial, despite only being at the club a season longer and playing in midfield.

Rashford has played a lot less games than Martial, but has scored nearly as much (and been on the wing most of the time).

Zlatan has scored nearly as many goals in his one true season than Martial has in 3 seasons.

This table actually shows what a relatively poor return we've get from Martial considering his talent.
Mata is renown for being a goalscorer, in fact it's one of the main aspects of his game, he is more a finisher than creator which is why he has almost as many goals as assists.

Silas

Would they?

I'm not saying Rashford is perfect, but he's only 20, but i believe even a 20 year old Rashford is better than a 22 Martial and Manchester United are much stronger with Rashford on the pitch than Martial.

A 19 year old Martial over a 19/20 year old Rashford that's tougher to call, but that's the problem, people are still seeing the Martial of 3 years ago, not the Martial of the past 3 seasons who's been shite for 2 of those seasons and marmite for this season.
What is Rashford better at, apart from making runs? Honest question.

Shite for two seasons? He was pretty good in his first, relatively poor in his second and now he's in his third, which was going well. When was this other shite season? Stop rewriting history.

L1nk

If he's smart he should wait to see how this season finishes, same with De Gea, I want them to sign new contracts of course but who knows where we will be come the seasons end. In particular i wouldn't begrudge De Gea a move if we end up outside the CL again.

Silas

Martial isn't a winger though, that's probably why he's stalling, he wants to be a striker and wants gaurantees he's going to get to play that role. He's a square peg in a round hole.

Bale is a winger, Sanchez is a winger. Imagine Lukaku up top, with Bale on the left and Sanchez on the right (and they could swap sides during games to confuse and torment defenses). That would be a front three of round pegs in round holes, how it's supposed to be.
If you read the reports, you'd know it's the club that's stalling, not Martial. I think he's happy to stay. The agent talking to Bouhafsi is probably just a way of telling United to hurry up.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Jose needs to be partially blamed for this. If he can't handle young players , he should just go. I am sick of our policies where we just become a home for retirement. All good for immediate success, but these guys are our future - Pogba,Martial and Rashford.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Really i love the guy

But at his current level, we could do better. Thats why i voted no

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's been shunted out of the team and position for a shiny new player, who as yet hasn't replicated his form of previous clubs.

If he doesn't sign on with us, and goes on elsewhere and fulfils his potential it would be rather annoying.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He's been shunted out of the team and position for a shiny new player, who as yet hasn't replicated his form of previous clubs.

If he doesn't sign on with us, and goes on elsewhere and fulfils his potential it would be rather annoying.
It would be infuriating...

Solo Toure

I am optimistic that Martial and DDG will both sign contract extensions.

If we want to be back where we belong and become League champions and a European powerhouse then we need to keep our best players period.

Number1

What is Rashford better at, apart from making runs? Honest question.

Shite for two seasons? He was pretty good in his first, poor in his second and now he's in his third, which was going well. When was this other shite season? Stop rewriting history.
It's not going well though, he was sat on the bench from August to November and still gets criticised from pundits and fans and Sanchez as just taken his position, you know a position "which was going well" for Martial, but this tells me it hasn't been going well and even the manager isn't convinced by him.

Take a look in the Martial thread to see not everything is all rosy with him and opinions are mixed, he's a marmite player.

JPRouve

Scout
Something that I find incredible is that in the league, Martial scored 9 goals in around 1300 minutes, while Lukaku has scored 12 in around 2200. And Martial is heavily criticized.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He'll never fullfill any potential under Negative Jose so he may as well leave for a club and manager that's going to let play in his best position and get the best out of him

Silas

It's not going well though, he was sat on the bench from August to November and still gets criticised from pundits and fans and Sanchez as just taken his position, you know a position "which was going well" for Martial, but this tells me it hasn't been going well and even the manager isn't convinced by him.

Take a look in the Martial thread to see not everything is all rosy with him and opinions are mixed, he's a marmite player.
Sat on the bench from August to November, yet he's still been the most productive attacker after Lukaku. How would you describe our other attackers' seasons, if one of our most productive players has apparently been poor? Has Rashford been shite too? We only bought Sanchez because he suddenly became available. It wasn't a case of us needing to strengthen on the left, as Jose already explained ("when a top player becomes available, you try").

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm convinced he will sign but that's not my worry.
My worry is that I can't see any quality attackers prospering the way things are going, much less a young one.

Adisa

Sat on the bench from August to November, yet he's still been the most productive attacker after Lukaku. How would you describe our other attackers' seasons, if one of our most productive players has apparently been poor? Has Rashford been shite too? We only bought Sanchez because he suddenly became available. It wasn't a case of us needing to strengthen on the left, as Jose already explained ("when a top player becomes available, you try").
You're beating a dead horse.

NFM

Hopefully Martial and Pogba get sold in the summer for big bucks and United bring in players who are suited for premier league. Two proper CMs and a RW would be good replacements for these two 'fancy dans'.

Number1

Proof Martial is still getting criticized from pundits:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-suggests-Mourinho-lost-patience-Martial.html

Quotes from Gary Neville also in that article criticizing Martial again (for about the 3rd time this season).

Also in the above article is a stat that Martial as started "just 10 of their 23 Premier League matches".

People laughed when Carragher said the above, but since Sanchez signed for United, he's started on the LW and Martial as been shifted out to the right, he called it.

Last edited:

Adisa

Hopefully Martial and Pogba get sold in the summer for big bucks and United bring in players who are suited for premier league. Two proper CMs and a RW would be good replacements for these two 'fancy dans'.
So you'd trust the coach that made the decision to spend 89m on the player in the first place?

Morpheus 7

Anybody that doesn't rate or want Martial to extend is clueless. He's got the potential to be the best around, even rival fans see it.

van Nistelrooy

We should extend his contract of course, but we should by no means be held to ransom over a hike in his salary. Martial is a great player who has more potential than anyone in our squad, but he needs to be more consistent and show-up in the big games to warrant further financial reward.

Although, I wouldn't blame him for looking for a way out. Constantly being benched for the likes of Rashford and Lingard is mind-boggling at times.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's shown so much potential under a manager who had no attacking impetuous and anthoer who is one of the most negative managers in the world. I hope to one day see him at Old Trafford under a competent manager who doesn't need to sacrifice attack for defence. Both him and Pogba.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah, but Lukaku puts in a shift & Martial isn’t arsed, didn’t you know!
Can you imagine what could happen if he was arsed and given more than 60% of Lukaku's playing time? 60 goals per seasons?

Adisa

We should extend his contract of course, but we should by no means be held to ransom over a hike in his salary. Martial is a great player who has more potential than anyone in our squad, but he needs to be more consistent and show-up in the big games to warrant further financial reward.

Although, I wouldn't blame him for looking for a way out. Constantly being benched for the likes of Rashford and Lingard is mind-boggling at times.
We haven't offered him a contract after meeting his agent (and probably telling him to expect an offer). That's the source of his disappointment.
He hasn't held us to ransom.
I'm confident he will sign but my worry is how we get him to fulfil his potential.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor

That doesn't bode well for contract renewals for any of our players bar De Gea

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually dont rate him massively so I wouldn't be fussed.

Silas

Well to back up everything I'm saying, proof Martial is still getting criticized from pundits:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-suggests-Mourinho-lost-patience-Martial.html

Neville as also really criised him again (for about the 3rd time this season).

Also in the above article is a stat that Martial as started "just 10 of their 23 Premier League matches".

People laughed when Carragher said the above, but since Sanchez signed with club, he's started on the LW, he called it.
Interesting that you didn't/couldn't actually address my post. What Neville says is irrelevant really; he some sort of bias against Martial because of a price tag he wasn't in control of. Rashford on the other hand gets a free pass.

Pundits aren't gospel, so telling me a couple of others don't rate Martial doesn't make a difference to your argument when I could easily find two random people saying the opposite.

@Adisa Yeah, not sure why I'm bothering again.

Adisa

Interesting that you didn't/couldn't actually address my post. What Neville says is irrelevant really; he some sort of bias against Martial because of a price tag he wasn't in control of. Rashford on the other hand gets a free pass.

Pundits aren't gospel, so telling me a couple of others don't rate Martial doesn't make a difference to your argument when I could easily find two random people saying the opposite.

@Adisa Yeah, not sure why I'm bothering again.
Pretty sure Neville would be the first to say selling Martial is stupid.
He wants more from him, that's understandable.
He's 22.
I can't take anyone saying we shouldn't extend seriously.