PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 February 2016

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This game illustrates why rival fans call us bottlers or chokers. Can't believe that this lot beat United 3-0 and Bayern Munich 2-0, then went on to lose 4-0 to Southampton, 3-2 to United and conceded that god-awful 90th minute equaliser at Anfield. The choke's upon us indeed.
I think the reaction of some Arsenal fans has been a bit OTT (not all of it, Walcott deserves most of the stick he's been getting as well as other players) - I mean you are still in the title race and could very well still win the league - but yeah, as a stand alone performance in a big game when you're in a title race, it seemed really odd just how little your players bar Ozil and Welbeck were up for it. Might have just been over-confidence due to how our team looked on paper, but yeah, didn't seem like you were prepared for the intensity we brought to the game at all.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Every time he surged forwards, full of speed, bristling with enthusiasm and intent, a sense of panic coursed through the visiting defence. Rashford left them in a blur. Disorientated. And ultimately, badly defeated.
All that audacity, fearlessness and excitement contrasted with Arsenal’s angst and disappointment. When they needed to step up their limitations and foibles were exposed.

Sums up Arsenal over the last 10 years perfectly

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think the reaction of some Arsenal fans has been a bit OTT (not all of it, Walcott deserves most of the stick he's been getting as well as other players) - I mean you are still in the title race and could very well still win the league - but yeah, as a stand alone performance in a big game when you're in a title race, it seemed really odd just how little your players bar Ozil and Welbeck were up for it. Might have just been over-confidence due to how our team looked on paper, but yeah, didn't seem like you were prepared for the intensity we brought to the game at all.
Compared to this place this season, it's tame

Parma Dewol

Still on a high after that. Atmosphere was electric and seeing Rashford hit two in the space of three minutes was surreal. Incredible game, fantastic result and a fitting end to a fabulous week.

A lot of people reckon attacking football is the United way, but maybe youth has more to do with United's history. It was great to see so many young players lighting up Old Trafford.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
The head on me today after the celebrations yesterday:lol:, even with City winning a trophy it felt our win meant more.

Didn't catch MOTD, did they happen to show Rasher's goal line block at all? I'm told sky didn't show a replay of it and couldn't see it well from my seat. Anyone have a good view? Would be even sweeter if he should have been sent off for handling it:lol:, 2 goals an assist and a save Dave would have been proud of:cool:

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Let's face it. We've been shit since December, when we beat City at home. The reaction of Arsenal fans is justified. This is us bottling it completely. A couple games aside we've been flaccid. Most attackers have failed since then and the defence was awful yesterday and against Barca post 70 minutes.

Danillaco

Wow, this is the best moment of a very disappointing season for me. I promissed myself I wouldn't watch another United game this season, but as I don't keep my promisses I watched the last two.

I almost can't remember why I was so mad, but as I cheer, I can't stop the feeling I'll be soon remembered. Damn you LvG.

But what a day it was yesterday, great game.

And Wenger was not wrong, we had a very experienced midfield. So much, in fact, we even played them as both CBs.

Siorac

This game illustrates why rival fans call us bottlers or chokers. Can't believe that this lot beat United 3-0 and Bayern Munich 2-0, then went on to lose 4-0 to Southampton, 3-2 to United and conceded that god-awful 90th minute equaliser at Anfield. The choke's upon us indeed.
Didn't you predict an Arsenal defeat anyway?

Rednails

The head on me today after the celebrations yesterday:lol:, even with City winning a trophy it felt our win meant more.

Didn't catch MOTD, did they happen to show Rasher's goal line block at all? I'm told sky didn't show a replay of it and couldn't see it well from my seat. Anyone have a good view? Would be even sweeter if he should have been sent off for handling it:lol:, 2 goals an assist and a save Dave would have been proud of:cool:
Yes MOTD did show Rashford's block in slow motion several times. The conclusion was that it was accidental and unavoidable. I thought it was too.

Spock

The NBC crew went back and forth on the Rashford handball shout and in the end concluded it was not a handball. What hadn't been noticed the first time through the video was that the ball came off a deflection fro Schneilderlin two feet away from Rashford.

It was a good no call.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Didn't you predict an Arsenal defeat anyway?
Yes. Anyone who's watched us in the past two months would've known that something like this was bound to happen. Still doesn't make it easy to take. I'm tired of reading United fans moan about their team after barely three seasons of being off the top. For us it's same shit different day.

tarjei2k

What are you doing on here if you can't take a slagging?
Wow, are you really so precious about this being a United forum that you've gone blind to opposition fans making valid points?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wow, are you really so precious about this being a United forum that you've gone blind to opposition fans making valid points?
If you can't call a bottling team bottlers on your own bloody forum, something has gone a bit wrong

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, I decided to check our Arsenal's popular forum (Arsenal's equivalent of Redcafe), after our win against them.
And like us, they have a thread running called "Wenger Out". In fairness, they have had to put up with the 4th place trophy for around 10 years, so they are completely justified.

I particularly enjoyed this comment.

I swear winger's transfer strategy is to just turn on fifa, close his eyes, hold down the joystick, find a random team, scroll down again to a random player, and bingo!
:lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Rooney holding the team back? End of a legend.
This really does seem to be the case.
Most of us have been pleading for him to be benched but LVG refuses to do this, unless he is completely incapacitated (as he is now).

Is it a coincidence that Rooney has been out of the team and in our last 2 games, we have scored 8 goals? It may be. But I still don't want Rooney ever to play for MUFC again.
I believe as long LVG is here, he will keep picking Rooney, until he gets sacked. Rooney's injury is preventing LVG from playing him and in the process is saving LVG's neck.

tarjei2k

If you can't call a bottling team bottlers on your own bloody forum, something has gone a bit wrong
You can, and I wholeheartedly encourage it. It's cringeworthy when one posts the exact same post three times, though, whether you root for MUFC or are an arse.

mark_a

Having watched the highlights a few times, I'd put the LvG dive down to the general diving & conning the ref Arsenal did over the 90 mins, but re-watching that, the incident directly before was Herrera not fouling Sanchez, who clearly goes down easy. There doesn't look contact to me & I've just gone back over it several times. He's clearly conned the ref there, could have got Herrera sent off.

Craig Pawson really should have been less naive, the free kick leading to Welbecks goal looked really soft to me. Definitely hitting the deck easy.

I'm not sure why Ramsey got away with the push on Herrera? I'm sure the other way around & Herrera would have got a red.

The foul on us outside the box that we wanted a penalty for, why wasn't that a yellow for an Arsenal player? Cynical tackle on the edge of the box?

Obviuously, beating a 12 man Arsenal was sweeter, but if they'd snuck a 3rd, the ref would really have helped that.

RaptorSlo

Wow, this is the best moment of a very disappointing season for me. I promissed myself I wouldn't watch another United game this season, but as I don't keep my promisses I watched the last two.

I almost can't remember why I was so mad, but as I cheer, I can't stop the feeling I'll be soon remembered. Damn you LvG.

But what a day it was yesterday, great game.

And Wenger was not wrong, we had a very experienced midfield. So much, in fact, we even played them as both CBs.
To be honest, between Mata, Herrera, Morgan, Blind and Carrick, we had a lot of experienced midfield on the pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be honest, between Mata, Herrera, Morgan, Blind and Carrick, we had a lot of experienced midfield on the pitch.
Wenger should have a go if it's that easy.

Play Coq and Ramsay at centre back, get a couple of youth team fullbacks in, start with a rookie striker, and have a right mid who himself is only a youngster.

if it's that easy,..

RaptorSlo

Wenger should have a go if it's that easy.

Play Coq and Ramsay at centre back, get a couple of youth team fullbacks in, start with a rookie striker, and have a right mid who himself is only a youngster.

if it's that easy,..
It's a joke. No need to work yourself up for nothing.

Spock

After seeing Varela play at RB, I dont want Valencia anywhere near the RB position again.
Agreed. Varela's crossing was sensational. What I like most about his crossing is that he doesn't take a first touch to tee up the cross. He whips it in before the central defenders have a chance to mark Varela's target.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Varela has actually impressed me more than any other player. No wonder Zidane was praising him so much.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 86% of 915 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 715 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw