PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 September 2023

bdspeedy

How much has he played? He's 6th choice and had to play against a top side at their ground. I suppose that's on ten Hag but if Lindelöf was injured what can you do.
It's elder abuse to even have him out there. As much as I never want to see Scooby Doo again, we could have used him over Evans or Maguire. Feck the Glazers.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Arsenal is a more accomplished team. Better pressure, well placed on the field, more quality when moving the ball.
United have to improve to have options for greater achievements.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Christ, Evans looked miles off it
Yep, he looked like a 35 year who was just released from a club that were relegated last season.

I'm not sure why we gave him a contract if this is the level he's at. It certainly can't be because of nostalgia. Oh hell, we all know why; because he was free. The drop in quality below Varane and Martinez is absolutely insane.

Having said that I'm very confident that our attacking play is going to get much better this season with the options we have. In terms of build up I'm quietly confident. Defensively we're fecked.

Rustyspider13

I know people are gonna crucify that performance especially after that scoreline, but I thought we gave Arsenal a proper game. We lost by a deflection off of our 5th choice CB and didn't win because of a marginal offside. Arsenal are better than us in possession, but our gameplan was solid and on another day it works.

If Martinez is out for any length of time, we're screwed. I think it's time for Casemiro or McT in defense as Lindelof and Maguire just bring the worst out of each other. I'm dreading the game against Brighton already.

I'll end it on a positive note, Hojlund looks great. I know he didn't get a real chance at goal, but his physical presence showed what we've been missing. Lovely flick for the Garnacho goal too. Gonna leave the Caf for a few days, don't need the reactionary threads alongside the usual media narrative.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Just sad to see Maguire on the pitch. The incompetence that he’s in his 5th season.

Big games are fine margins but under ETH we are finding new ways to lose them. Seriously just see it out after that disallowed goal. Useless cnuts.

Widow

We are shite and the fact that Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea had a bad season last year made us look better than we actually were. We got pumped multiple times and scored few goals, I'm sorry but even after spending many millions, we still look a million miles away!

sirAlexsglasses

ETH needs to stop being a **** when it comes to his comments about the red and var, he constantly says “the refs have a tough job” whilst Klop Pep etc will dig them out as much as he can without punishment. I honestly believe that refs know that he won’t say anything so there’s less heat. We also need refs to be mic’s up and explain their decisions , people lose their jobs, titles etc on their decisions yet they don’t have to explain anything, meanwhile managers and players get dug out all the time.

DavelinaJolie

Feel sick about that. I thought we played well actually, and that Garnacho offside was utterly deflating.

I hope Lindelof is injured, because taking him off was a ridiculous decision otherwise (not that I hope he is injured)
Yeah the offside really took the wind out of the sails.

Thought we played pretty well all things considered.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Antony was a good outlet down the right when they pressed harder and he drew fouls and kept possession well. He is also pressing very effectively and winning the ball a lot, not just today but so far this season. I think Hojlund will enjoy playing with him.

He tracked back twice and made 2 key interceptions.

Calling him a passenger is disingenuous.
Imagine £90m for a player to "win fouls"

IrishMcD

So poor from Evans man
To be expected. People seem to have forgotten how poor he was when he was here in his prime. An error a game almost guaranteed. The fact we brought him back at his age after a season he could barely stay fit for, says everything about the state of our club. Club is rotten and only going to get worse

SirScholes

Can’t understand why people are saying we played well, I thought we were negative from the start and never looked like taking the game to Arsenal.
When was the last time we went away to one of the top teams and played them off the park?
Our passing and pressing is still shoddy and way off the top teams.
Rant over.
maybe do it when you don’t have a load of injures?
because we were about 1cm away from winning this game

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Maguire and evans. It’s only right we lose.
I thought we played ok, 3-1 is harsh.
Liked the look of hoijlund, but we are miles off where we want to be away from home.

United492

Could've won, should have drawn. Decent performance overall in my eyes but a concerning back 4 at the end.

Sick and tired of Rashford bottling challenges though.

quadrant

That's a sore one, the way victory seemed snatched away from us, but there was a lot of positives today.

I thought we looked good on the ball in deep and central areas. The ability of Onana and Martinez in particular to hold the ball in central areas for extended periods was promising. You can see we wanted to build up slowly from deep and then transition quickly, but the ball tended to fizzle out as soon as it reached the halfway line. But it's a base at least and prevented Arsenal from exerting extended periods of pressure. Once Martinez went off and Maguire came on we just couldn't do that anymore, and it's noticeable Arsenal ramped up the pressure after that.

The big problems are still up front. Martial was totally absent, he looks shot. Antony gets involved but lacks any end product. Rashford was ok, but isn't the kind of player to get involved in build up at the best of times.

If Hojland was fit from the start to replace the missing Martial; if Amrabat was playing instead of Eriksen to screen that first goal; if we had Varane and Martinez seeing out the game instead of Maguire and Lindelof/Evans, does that change the outcome? I feel like it might.

So I'm not going to toss myself off a building for that performance, even if the way it ended made it somehow sting more than if we'd performed worse.

TheRedDevil2019

Felt sick with that VAR decision. No way was that offside, not in a million years and that's after I saw the red line and matched up the defender with Garnacho.

Guess it cancels out our lucky call against Wolves....

Josh 76

Can’t understand why people are saying we played well, I thought we were negative from the start and never looked like taking the game to Arsenal.
When was the last time we went away to one of the top teams and played them off the park?
Our passing and pressing is still shoddy and way off the top teams.
Rant over.
You are living in the 90s. How was this team supposed to take the game to Arsenal. With the players he had to pick from, I think ETH did well with his tactics.

Last season Arsenal had 23 shots against us. ETH was never going to take the game to them.

BrayRed

Wasn't a 3-1 game at all.

We score the goal that's ruled out and the game is done.

Not ideal having Maguire and Evans finishing the game. Hopefully nothing serious for martinez and lindelof.

Overall thought we played much better than recent weeks. Martial offers nothing and Hojlund looked good

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I don't know, I think we played well enough to even win. (and should've won)

Everybody did the best they could, Eriksen played his best game for us, ran all game. Can't ask for more. They all did well. Absolutely shite ending but feck it. When the effort is there I just can't moan. You guys have fun.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
What is the worst thing could happen to our defence this season? To have varane and lisandro injured early... and thats exactly what happens after only 4 games

Cantona in disguise

Went into the game playing a right back at left back against one of the best wingers on the planet and ended it with our last two CBs in the squad depth chart on the pitch and people are complaining about the manager after a fluke scoreline that was a bollock hair away from us having a 2-1 lead with 10 to go?

Oh it's the Cafe, I forgot for a second.
got to say i agree with you. This was a good away display from united. The hyperbole on here is mad. Football is all about fine margins and anyone who has played the game even at lower levels realise this. You win some of them and its great you lose some and it sucks.

Ekeke

Terrible performance but on course for a good result till Evans came on. Overall it could have been a smash and grab steal of 3 points, just about hanging on for 1 point, or as it turned out we tried to use the squad and the plan came apart at the end and we leave with 0 points and werent hard done by

Red Royal

Bloody football. Our most promising game and we lose 3-1 into an international break. Oh well a lot to look forward to suddenly

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What were we better at compared to last season at Emirates? We were cowardly then and we were cowardly today. Just sat back and tried to absorb the pressure. Where's that pressing we were promised? Where's the ability to keep the ball and dominate possession? There's no signs of it either and that's the worst part after spending close to 400 mil in 2 summers.
I think what you're saying here would apply to the first half. I thought we were shite overall, and didn't get our foot on the ball and couldn't string two passes together.
But I thought we played well in the second half and was finishing the game quite strong. They were extremely fortunate. That was not a 3-1 game. No chance. One of the tightest offside calls you'll see, and a deflected goal for them. And we finished the game with Johnny Evans and Harry-fecking-Maguire as our CB pairing.

We're getting ravaged by injuries.

Ekeke

Neither did Onana, they had a couple of shots and one at him. We carried plenty of threat and just made some wrong choices at the end.
We had 3 or 4 threatening attacks, 1 goal and 1 offside goal.

Arsenal had loads and Saka missed a sitter. Right call on the penalty though

Sara125

Arsenal away and the CB pairing while we are still chasing a win is Evans and Maguire. I cannot believe I have just typed that sentence in 2023.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Undeserved loss. I think the draw would be the fair result.

Still having players like Martial, Maguire and Evans is pretty damming for the club football structure. I don't think there's any clear strategy. It goes by instinct, stop gap or improvise. United is clearly behind other clubs in what concerns a clear football project strategy. Just like it feel behind in training and stadium infrastructures.

Glazers really need to feck off.

FerociousCorgis

On reflection I think my summary of this game wasn't that we looked good but that we did a good job of making arsenal look bad

Lights Out

How fecking spawny are Arsenal though?! Absolutely fecking detest them

Swearing Budgie

Garnacho’s finish was ace but if it stood it would have been a real smash n grab. Arsenal were the better side throughout and played much more positive football.

We padded the possession stats by dangerously twatting around with it at the back.

Gutting but a fair result.

Wish we would practice some sort of attacking patterns at Carrington.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, what was the scoreline again genius?

Also, I was not aware we count offside goals now. Do you want to start counting every touch in the penalty box next to show us we are better?
You seem to be upset about this being the same pattern as last season. I figured reminding you of that disallowed goal might help you understand the difference. Evidently not.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Easily our best performance of the season so far... I thought we we brilliant in the second half. Held them all the time and then hit them on the break. I reckon VAR got the offside wrong - they decided very quickly and without lines. But as soon as it was ruled out, I knew we'd lose.

Unlucky deflection but still think Onana could have done better - it didn't take it a long way from him. I feckin hate arsenal fans.

Not sure why people are blaming dalot and there's no way they'd have got the third if the second hadn't gone in. Might also been OK if we'd had our two starring CBs.

Have to say, still waiting for Onana to make a big save, maybe the block earlier?

Rasmus showed some promise but maybe now people here will understand why I think Garnacho can play through the middle.

I thought a draw would have been a fair result. City will tear Arsenal a new a-hole

Barthez

Still not convinced by the angle utilised for the VAR check. It was all very rushed

starboy

Result looks like disaster, but it could also be 2:1 for us and three points. I don't think that Arsenal played some super game. They will be top class when they will get someone like Haaland, proper striker.
Honestly, it looks like solid nightmare so far. Plenty of injuries, terrible performance in first 4 PL matches.
One thing which really annoys me, that if one of our player has ball and other players are staying and waiting. I am looking at this for 10 years minimum and no coach or analyst or whoever is pretending to work there see that. Is that so hard to see? Why other teams can do that but not us?
Individually was probably Dalot our best player, solid performance by Hojlund.

always_hoping

Nobody should have any doubt anymore about how much of lucky general Mikel Arteta is.

At best Arsenal deserved no more than a draw out of that match, ridiculously lucky to end up winning 3-1. VAR with a another huge say in a match Garnacho appeared to have scored the winner on 88 minutes and having seen it a few times I'm not sure where VAR seen it as onside

No luck in matches with Ten Hag or with injuries. Away to Arsenal and finishing the game with Evans and Maguire was always a recipe for disaster

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Positives: Dalot played well on the left, Hojlund is looking like a good target man. Very strong. We also defended quite well, Saka and Martinelli were nowhere to be found for the majority of the game.

Negatives: Eriksen was absolute garbage and it's a shame Amrabat wasn't available today, we should have brought him in way sooner. Martial shouldn't ever start when Hojlund is fit, I don't share this vision of slowly integrating a new player when your other option can't do anything right. And why the feck did he bring in Evans? Was Lindelof injured? Because he was solid today apart from that awkward spinning ball situation.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% Arsenal 3:1 Man Utd
  • 12% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd