EL L Europa League Semi-Final 2nd Leg

AS Roma 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 06 May 2021

spiriticon

Only in the second half. DDG was motm.
It was bad enough to lose us the match from a winning position. If I were Ole I'd be kicking boots in the dressing room.

Good thing we spanked them for 6 in the first leg or it would have been squeaky bum time.

Pjisared

Massive problem with our squad players, just not good enough. We actually missed the calming presence of Lindelof.
Bailey Teles Williams protected by Matic, and Fred not forgetting Pogba. Absolutely gash, a car crash waiting to happen. Thank feck for DDG, Bruno and Cavani. We could easily be out now.

BorisManUtd

I'm worried about the fact we conceded 5 goals against this Roma side. But at least players did the job and got to the final.

Lord Zlatan

We don't have a second gear. its either go full pelt or be really shit.

Big reason why we keep going behind in games too..
Big problem.. but other than that.. finals.. great..
Think you've nailed it with that assessment. The reason for it i think is lack of real leadership in the middle of the field.

ex and

Our defence were atrocious. They were asleep from the first minute to the end. Our first half performances have been abject except home against Leeds. What do are mgr and assistants say?

UpWithRivers

Well what did we learn that we already dont know. 1. Pogba cant play in a 2 in the midfield and especially at the right of midfield. 2. DVB is not a LW. 3. Changing 3 of your back 4 around isnt the best plan. 5. De Gea is a top keeper when he is on his game. Apart from that we're in the final!!!!!

Infra-red

No injuries, no red cards and through to the final, so it's job done.

Crazy game, though - we were a total shambles. Roma deserved to win and should have had 5 or 6. De Gea MOTM.

MrBest

VDB man, don't know if it is lacknof confidence, lack of playing time, different style of football...whatever it is, not working.
1200ish minutes the entire season which is like 14 games, we have played over 50 games so far as a team. Put it down to a lack of confidence, fitness and faith from the manager. He looks like a player that needs a arm around his shoulder and a squeeze of the cheeks.

pascell

Yeah pleased to be in the final but we certainly saw tonight how big the drop off between Shaw & AWB is to Williams & Telles. Don't know what has happened to Alex since that first game in Paris where he played so well
Confidence looks shot with Shaw being no.1 and he's barely played so probably rusty. It seemed tactical at times from Ole that Telles would tuck in and van de Beek track the winger, it was really odd.

Gator Nate

So.... Williams-Bailly-Maguire-Telles is not our best back line.

DeGea made some great point-blank saves, but two of those goals, I felt, he should have stopped.

Cavani. :)

Lose 3-2 on the road when going in with a 6-2 lead... job done.

You can't rest most of the squad and expect no drop off. We're fine. I can't help but think going into a second leg up four is probably going to affect you negatively on the mental side.

Anywho, on to the next match.

AndyMUFC

Weird game but job done in the first leg. De Gea is still by far our best keeper on his day. Donny just didn’t do enough yet again.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Doesn't matter in the end, but how can they spend fecking years scrutinising both Cavani goals and then just give this one immediately without even fecking looking at it?

Bocca9978

It was bad enough to lose us the match from a winning position. If I were Ole I'd be kicking boots in the dressing room.

Good thing we spanked them for 6 in the first leg or it would have been squeaky bum time.
Ole will be pissed. In the final and off we go.
Could be worse. Ask Arsenal:devil:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Maybe it could be a blessing in disguise for the final. We wont get too cocky.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Great to finally get past the semi-final stage and I'm excited for the final. Nice for Ole to get that semi-final hoodoo off his back, as well. Cavani is incredible really. His off-the-ball movement is world-class.

But there were some truly horrific defending out there from us tonight. They could've easily had another 4 goals. I mean, we could have had one or two more, to be honest. Just a crazy game and hopefully we can sort that out for the final

And how about that second-half performance from Telles? Fecking hell

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Bit of a weird game. I think we would have won if we had to, our subs turned the game in their favour. DDG, Fernandes and Cavani were all excellent.

Abraxas

The defending was extremely poor tonight, we could have conceded 5 or 6 quite comfortably. This type of thing is often said in hyperbolic fashion but tonight that was absolutely the case with the quality of chances Roma created. We were somewhat fortunate they didn't tighten things up on the scoreline. We seemed to have a massive problem in defending the wide areas, a real lack of intensity from the full backs and midfielders to cover those areas causing all sorts of trouble in the box.

We must do much, much better in the final or we will make life difficult for ourselves. I think we will, I think the players went out in slapdash fashion tonight knowing they only had to turn up. We did play some good stuff at times ourselves but the defensive work really put us in the mire in this particular match. I think this is why it was a frantic game, we just turned up to play a game of football and Roma had to push on.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Can anyone explain Roma's third? Looked clear offside to me?

sideshowbob

I think we need to give Ole a lot of credit tonight - could have been a lot messier had we started with more changes at the back.

Other than Cavani and De gea, the players that come out with credit after today should be the ones that didn’t play. We look so much more defensively solid with Lindelof and Mctominay playing. Two players that get a lot more hate than they deserve.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I don't understand why anyone was worried. Cavani's 2nd sealed the deal.

- Note to Ole: don't play Telles and Williams in the same match
- I wish we had a 26 year old Matic, we would be so good
- Why does Cavani have a band aid on his face? Must be a really bad zit.
- Worse game by Shaw in a long time but who cares
- Greenwood was pretty sloppy
- DDG was very good and lucky
- Too bad our unbeaten away streak is over

Job done and on to a FINAL!

always_hoping

Those two ties reminded me of Liverpool v Roma semi final a few season ago.

Liverpool won the first leg 5-2 v Roma and lost the 2nd leg 4-2. Liverpool went on to lose the final against Spanish opposition, hopefully history doesn't repeat itself for United.

Huddersfieldred

When everyone was saying “United are in the final” and “job done” I KNEW it wasn’t going to be that easy, I’ve followed United far too long to think that was it. Whenever the task should be easy, we seem to make life as hard as possible. Had DDG not been on the pitch I genuinely believe this could have been a very different story. We didn’t play the basics, and we seem to shit it every time they came forward, granted they played a very high press, but we knew they were going to do this and come at us with everything including the kitchen sink. This should have been so so simple. Sit tight, don’t lose an early goal, they have to come out ans play, pick them off on the counter and hopefully bag a couple of goals and kill of any lingering hopes. But.......well that’s just not the United way is it, I hope they have their act together for Villarreal as they are the masters of this competition and really will test and expose any weakness......which are glaringly obvious.

Ace of Spades

Can anyone explain Roma's third? Looked clear offside to me?
Looked off, but the reffing just seems shit all around.

Cavani could and should have had a hat-trick at least.

The midfield needs to be sorted, not sure why Pogba was played there while VDB was played wide, would have been better to switch roles. Still, we really need to get a proper DM.

Telles and Brandon had poor games, but tbf both have not played a lot. Williams especially needs a loan where he can play week in week out.

Would have loved to see Elanga get a run out instead of Rashford, although with the way we were playing in that second half I can understand why he chose the safe option.

DDG was great. Bruno as always was creating chances as well.

Abraxas

Taking off the full backs certainly had a pretty horrendous impact in this game, and it was very strange having VDB as one of the men tasked with offering protection from wide areas when he appears to have little athleticism to track people. The pair that came on looked devoid of sharpness and they weren't getting much help. We got killed down the flanks. I don't think Williams and Telles are poor players but there was a noticeable drop off in quality and match readiness which is slightly concerning as we'll need them over the coming games.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Scandalous performance.

Hopefully that's the last of such performances atleast in europe.

man united 4eva

Taking off the full backs certainly had a pretty horrendous impact in this game, and it was very strange having VDB as one of the men tasked with offering protection from wide areas when he appears to have little athleticism to track people. The pair that came on looked devoid of sharpness and they weren't getting much help. We got killed down the flanks. I don't think Williams and Telles are poor players but there was a noticeable drop off in quality and match readiness which is slightly concerning as we'll need them over the coming games.
Best post on here so far tonight... 100% agree... :)

redrobed

Bitterly disappointed. How do we turn up and play like that in a semi final. We’re Manchester United.

Phil Osophy

Congrats to the guys for reaching the final, the first one for Ole as a manager at United. But today it was unacceptable from every angle and it has to be said, even considering the advantage in hand and some expected speculation.

I hope we see our best face in the final again, we lift the trophy and I can forget quickly that this game existed.

Ceteris

Now we should all understand why Ole plays MacFred in midfield and my God Telles is bad

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Looked off, but the reffing just seems shit all around.

Cavani could and should have had a hat-trick at least.

The midfield needs to be sorted, not sure why Pogba was played there while VDB was played wide, would have been better to switch roles. Still, we really need to get a proper DM.

Telles and Brandon had poor games, but tbf both have not played a lot. Williams especially needs a loan where he can play week in week out.

Would have loved to see Elanga get a run out instead of Rashford, although with the way we were playing in that second half I can understand why he chose the safe option.

DDG was great. Bruno as always was creating chances as well.
This. I really don't understand why Ole doesn't give it a go. VdB's brand of 'hot potato' football, or 'lava ball' as someone else put it, might actually be better suited to playing a bit deeper, when there's less pressure to create and he can get away with keeping the ball ticking. He's too limited technically and physically to play that inside left role.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This. I really don't understand why Ole doesn't give it a go. VdB's brand of 'hot potato' football, or 'lava ball' as someone else put it, might actually be better suited to playing a bit deeper, when there's less pressure to create and he can get away with keeping the ball ticking. He's too limited technically and physically to play that inside left role.
Agree with this, makes sense to try him alongside Fred.

Josh 76

Bitterly disappointed. How do we turn up and play like that in a semi final. We’re Manchester United.
It was the second half when the game was done and the two reserve fullbacks were not up to speed. Wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Devil may care

Shoddy performance with a few nice pieces of play, job done overall but we made a bit of a farce of it.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

At least it was entertaining. Could easily have been 4-4 or more.
Not acceptable losing focus like that even with a big lead, i hope Ole makes sure they know that.

Well done on getting to the final!

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 69% of 245 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win