g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 December 2014

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Put us down to earth after all our players started to bellow out War Cries about the title race. Just shut up, our level is average and we should be excited with a 4th place finish.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Well we had to drop points somewhere.

1-1 is OK. Looking forward to the next match.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Very poor. After they went down to 10 men we should have been all over them, instead we got worse. In the last 10 minutes of the game did anyone of our players besides Wilson have a shot? It was genuinely awful. Nothing good to say about it so I won't bother adding anything else.

United22

Blame has to be split between Van Gaal and the players. Players played with absolutely no intensity after Villa were a man down, they should have smelled blood and gone for the win but somehow the opposite happened. Don't think I've ever seen that before, the 12/13 Fergie team would have easily won this game in this situation. On to Van Gaal, his first 2 substiutions were spot on, then he completely fecked up putting Young on the right (our best attacking threat on the left) and putting Wilson on who did feck all. Extremely, extremely disappointed with the draw, almost as bad a loss in this context

ManUnitedCanuck

I'd like to see much more penetration in our play. We are happy to pass it around the back 3 and our opponents are happy to let us. Then we have 3 sitting back so it's hard to out man them in the attacking third.

To win this league you have to win matches and we seem to be looking to win each one by a scoreline of 1-0.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
RVP always has a late goal in him, they need to watch 2012 - 13 highlights and then leave him on.
I was thinking that too, what a strange substitution that was.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well, at least LvG now realises that Fletcher is finished as a first team player.
The other positive is that Falcao finally played for 90 minutes.
There are no more excuses for not starting with Falcao (ie. injury, match fitness or whatever reason).

Damnit. We needed 3 points here.

Zoo

2 points dropped. Really disappointing. Van Gaal can talk about performances to go with the results but if if he continues with this shite 3-5-2 people will get fed up quickly.

Mersault

Hoof it to Benteke. Like playing Tony Pulis' Stoke. Horrible team.

Yes I'm bitter.
I actually thought when they went a man down we started to play a bit of hoof ball, not making our numbers count (apart from one or two times down the right)

Ludens the Red

Beyond pathetic, like above and beyond, that last 20 minutes was embarrassing. Against ten men, no composure, no urgency, no belief, barely a chance created. I'd like to know what exactly Mata and Di Maria were doing in that last 20 minutes because I generally forgot they were playing.

Woodenlung

Absolutely disgusting performance. Villa a man down and still looked more likely to score than us. Don't care if Young got an assist, he's pure shit and wasted so many chances to do something.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Put us down to earth after all our players started to bellow out War Cries about the title race. Just shut up, our level is average and we should be excited with a 4th place finish.
Yeah, getting top 4 is the aim. Far from a title winning team just yet.

Glanville95

Very abject performance. Particularly disappointed with how our intensity and pressure went out the door after Agbonlahor's red card.

Mata was invisible again. Like playing with ten men away from home.

Devil may care

Very disappointing, I thought after Falcao equalized we'd push on and win, but we created next to nothing in the last 30 minutes and I think LvG made an error bringing Valencia off, he should have brought Young off as he looked like the crowd had gotten top him after the red card incident.

We have too many players who want to make the safe pass and njot enough that are willing to commit the opposition defenders by driving with the ball. In truth Villa were as close to winning that as we were even with 10 men, Evans looks unbelievably shaky.

2 points lost.

Leg-End

If we beat Newcastle on Friday and takes points away at Spurs I won't care about this result.

2 points dropped. It could have turned out differently if we started the game like we did in the second half. The lack of tempo and urgency put us on the back foot. Even after the red card we allowed Villa and their fans to time waste when we should have been turning up the pressure. A draw feels like such a missed opportunity for us.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Should have done better with the man advantage, thought LVG made some strange subs and we never needed to play the 3-5-2 from the start.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
The inability to mount any sort of significant pressure to try and get a winner against ten men was pathetic. No coherence in our attacking game at all, it's just playing the ball around hoping someone can do something of note. We will get away with it a lot simply because we have great players capable of producing something, but it's an indictment of LvG that we still aren't able to attack better.

Count Orduck

Meh, it was coming. We'd fluked our way to six wins in a row when only against Hull were we actually worthy of the win. We should have had nine or ten points max from those six fixtures the way we played. It was inevitable luck would stop sliding our way sooner or later and we'd get a result we actually deserved. Even then, I don't think we did, because we were so bad that Villa should have won.

Natener

Felt like our players thought we had the game won once Villa went down to 10 and just slacked off. It's was still at bloody 1-1. Just rubbish display from there on.

RORY65

Probably not the worst thing for the team, a point away from home is never a disaster. The reality is that we've looked incoherent for much of the season, especially when we've played 3 at the back, and have been relying on individual quality as we were towards the end under Ferguson. 6 wins in a row was great but it's way more important that we actually start controlling games and having an actual 'philosophy' rather than just having no midfield, a ropey defence and hoping our forwards can feed on scraps and our keeper can bail us out.

I actually just wish we'd create some chances, no matter the players we have and how much money we throw at it, we still don't make anywhere near as many chances as the other top sides and it's not much fun seeing a side tossing around with no invention.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We did nothing to test a 10 man Villa side. That is not decent.
they didn't have 10 for the whole game though.

we looked clueless and out of the game at 1-0.
sometimes you have to just be grateful you didn't take a defeat

Bojan11

Beyond pathetic, like above and beyond, that last 20 minutes was embarrassing. Against ten men, no composure, no urgency, no belief, barely a chance created. I'd like to know what exactly Mata and Di Maria were doing in that last 20 minutes because I generally forgot they were playing.
Despite the players we had our tactic seemed to be to play through Ashley Young. Bizarre

Raw

Credit to Villa though. Harsh red and they still could have won.

We missed Fellaini, please get better soon.

Cina

I said before the game we wouldn't win. It just felt like it'd be one of those days.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Young on the left was great.

Young on the right not so great.

Good to see Falcao get a goal
Fletcher is done which is a shame but he just looks all sorts.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 425 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Aston Villa 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Aston Villa 1:3 Man Utd