Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2023

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It was also great to see Edwin van der Sar in the directors box

ClassAct147

A rare experience for our lot to have that feeling of confidence and passion flowing through their veins once the equaliser came. Now if they can only remember that feeling, repeat it and totally abolish their brain dead lack lustre performances. Playing for United is about giving your all in every game. Long past time they realised it!

Overhaul FC

What a great game to have been at Old Trafford for.

The question has to be why did the players have to go 2.0 down and get booed mid game to start playing with intensity?

Overall the game was there for the taking with Villa's high line and it was great to see Garnacho drive the team forward in the 2nd half.

Varane, AWB, Mainoo and Garnacho were exceptional.

Varane better not be sold by the club. He's the best Centre Back we have.

Cantonagotmehere

I've got that weird feeling that only United can do to you.

I don't know what it means, I don't know what the future holds but I know exactly how I felt when Hojlund scored and I know exactly how I felt at full time and I'm very, very pleased to be a United supporter.

For every 'easy' 1 or 2 nil win we've had over the years....nothin beats winning like that.
It's the journey mate. Dark days recently but so many highs before. I am here through thick and thin. The fight back to being 'relevant' again should be something.

CasaStreets

Loved Dalot’s reaction to going 2-2, ran straight over to the celebrating huddling and waved them back to restart quickly and go for the win.

Whatever his shortcomings are, I’ve always found he has a tremendous attitude on the pitch.

TheReligion

Abusive
People on here never learn. It was like Mourinho when they came back against Newcastle. Delays the inevitable. We're still shite until we start winning comfortably and having a positive goal difference, it's all a waste of time.
What a depressingly poor post straight after a great comeback win against a very good Villa side.

JagUTD

People on here never learn. It was like Mourinho when they came back against Newcastle. Delays the inevitable. We're still shite until we start winning comfortably and having a positive goal difference, it's all a waste of time.
Except we absolute dominated a very good Villa side and deserved to win where against a very poor Newcastle, we were fortunate to win.

Very different games.

Oscar Bonavena

Delighted for the win when it looked like game over in the 1st half, almost more delighted Hojlund scored his first PL goal.

One thing ETH can say is the players are still playing for him, there was no downing of tools tonight.

Being brutally honest, a more streetwise cynical team than Villa should have seen that game home. Continuing to play a high line against us was suicidal but that's how Villa play. Would we have scored 3 goals against a team playing a deep lying blow block to defend a 2 goal lead? From this season so far, I'd have my doubts.

Good win. Not getting carried away. Forest away is another tough test and I've been brought crashing down to earth enough times by this team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was nothing like that game.

DSG

Delighted for the win when it looked like game over in the 1st half, almost more delighted Hojlund scored his first PL goal.

One thing ETH can say is the players are still playing for him, there was no downing of tools tonight.

Being brutally honest, a more streetwise cynical team than Villa should have seen that game home. Continuing to play a high line against us was suicidal but that's how Villa play. Would we have scored 3 goals against a team playing a deep lying blow block to defend a 2 goal lead? From this season so far, I'd have my doubts.

Good win. Not getting carried away. Forest away is another tough test and I've been brought crashing down to earth enough times by this team.
Delighted for Ten Hag. Delighted that Villa continued to play a high line. We really needed that win.

It’s clear to me that this squad needs two ball playing pivots in midfield. I really liked Eriksen and Mainoo pairing. Looking forward to watching Casemiro and Mainoo play together. It seemed Eriksen was very good at dropping deeper to support Mainoo and move the ball forward. We had a lot of balls into space — many times we were offside, but we kept at it. That’s how this team has to play.

‘Still need to figure out how to score against a low block.

sphagnum

Second half was probably the best we played this season.
Best we played since I can’t even remember when. I didn’t even know these players had that performance in them - and that does change something. Doesn’t mean we’ll see it from them every week (or ever again even) but we know for sure now that they’re capable of it. So that’s the level we/they should hold them/themselves to.

I haven’t enjoyed a half of football like that in so long that I’d almost forgotten what it felt like.

Stig

A unpopular comment.

Ganacho is greedy.
..... all strikers are
.....he scored two and we won.

Yes, and he's greedy and runs down blind allies. But today it worked.

A question , if a player gets the ball first but is out of contro and clatters someone isn't that a foul ? If yes, why was Martinez not sent off?

sphagnum

A question , if a player gets the ball first but is out of contro and clatters someone isn't that a foul ? If yes, why was Martinez not sent off?
I had no problem with that. He went for the ball, got the ball and Rashford followed into it - it wasn’t dangerous or reckless or against the rules in any way. He did his job. I’d be very happy with our keeper if he made the same challenge.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Very good won especially as we were 2 down. Need to see that degree of effort and passion every game.Delighted Tassie scored .

LukeChadwick36

My New Years Resolution is to be more active on this site. I always come here to gauge my own feelings against, what i feel are, likeminded fans who disproportionately allow a football club to dictate their mood.

Anyway, tonight was just fantastic. My 7 year old boy sat up late as a Christmas treat to watch the match. He was beside himself with excitement even when we found ourselves 2-0 down. He kept positive throughout.

The second half is one of the best experiences iv had following United. Seeing his reaction to both Garnacho goals (his new favourite player) and Hojlunds winner was just incredible. It ended with him begging me to let him ready the Man Utd Annual at bedtime to find out more about his new heros.

Something felt different about tonight. We played well enough and found ourselves down but didnt just give up as so many times before.

Onwards and upwards for 2024. Seeing the blind support of my son tonight has made me remember why i love this club in the first place.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Stig

Anyone else thinks Garnacho is our biggest talent since Rooney and Ronaldo? Our future will be build around Garnacho, Mainoo and maybe Hojlund. Not around Bruno and Rashford.
No. Not at all.

Not related bit is Evans better now than when he played for us preciously ?

sphagnum

No. Not at all.
I’m cautiously excited about Garnacho. Not making any predictions yet, but he’s the most exciting thing about our team right now. He’s the only player who seems to have the ability to pull something out of the bag that the oppo can’t predict or handle. I think he’s got all the potential to be something pretty special.

Not related bit is Evans better now than when he played for us preciously ?
Yes, I think he is.

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
A unpopular comment.

Ganacho is greedy.
..... all strikers are
.....he scored two and we won.

Yes, and he's greedy and runs down blind allies. But today it worked.

he seems to have that streak and spark that ronaldo had in his earlier years. Good on him. He won't be consistent but he's the inspiration for the team right now.
Just hope he doesn't go the way of januzaj.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say up the Reds.
MUFC is some club.

ehizario

We won yes, great spirit! But Ten Hag out still. One game won't change my opinion of him, 10 games at least!

ehizario

...and I think it's a criminal offence, replacing De Gea with this clown Onana. Absolute downgrade! Can wait for him to leave for AFCON while the other goalie gets his chance. Hopefully the super Eagles beat Cameroon again at the AFCON

Yakuza_devils

Is it safe to assume Garnacho is the real deal going the path of Rooney, Ronaldo rather than Januzaj, Ravel Morrison, Greenwood?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very much needed win for this team. We are going for a bounce.

Garnacho is going to be some player there. Very happy with Hojlund first league goal.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
This team has so much potential. Goes to show what a top manager can do with these boys.

MyBloodIsRed

Garnacho needs to be starting on that right side!!! what a star we have on our hands.

so happy for Rasmus. Not just a goal, but the game winner will do loads for his confidence. I also thought Rashford ball to Garnacho while was a hair late or Garna was just too quick was great sign that I think we can get this attack humming in the new year

UTFR!!!

r0663664

Worships Man City
We need Diallo, Casemiro and Martinez back so ETH has options. Seriously, I don't want to see Antony and McTominay play. Need Mainoo to partner Eriksen or Casemiro, need Garnacho or Diallo on the right. Rashford looks like he somewhere back. I think there is a small glimmer of hope for top 5 if we put on a winning run.

Wing Attack Plan R

Couple notes:
1.) that Martinez tackle on Rashford was fecking two-footed studs showing. Yes, he got the ball first, but if that were a United player (say, Casemiro), straight red.
2.) If the scores had been reversed, and Ten Hag gave up a 2 goal lead, he would have been absolutely pilloried in the press.
3.) Onana actually made a couple good saves, despite the statuesque performance for the first. 60th minute, soon after we scored, got down and deflected the shot, then a moment later came out and pushed a ball away in the air. He wasn't great, but he was good.
4.) The players really put a shift in 2nd half, like they knew Ten Hag would get the bullet if we lost.
5.) Pretty incredible we had 8 academy products play tonight. There was a lot of talk about how our academy was shite, particularly when compared with city, but how many players have City brought into the first team? And we've still got Hansen-Aaøren, Shoretire, Will Fish, Charlie McNeil, Joe Hugill, Alvaro Fernandez, and others coming through.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Is it safe to assume Garnacho is the real deal going the path of Rooney, Ronaldo rather than Januzaj, Ravel Morrison, Greenwood?
Greenwood and Morrison were the real deal. Legal troubles aside, they both were amazing talents. I wouldn't be surprised if Greenwood comes back, too. He'll have the wife and child in all the photos, just needs a good PR manager.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Great comeback after it looked like it'll be another one of those miserable nights. Cheered me right up.

Villa played right into our hands and for an Emery team left unusually large spaces behind, which played to our strengths and allowed our pacey attackers to get in behind and hurt them. Our attackers struggle against packed defenses but have shown they can be good when they have space to run into. Eriksen back helped a lot as he is our only central midfielder with vision and passing to see those runs. Bruno also looked the best in weeks.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 16% Man Utd 0:2 Aston Villa