Manchester United 3:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2023

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
What a win. Didn't really expect this. Finally some happiness.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Good Ebening Indeed!!! Have missed this feeling since forever. I hope things change for the better now.

Also, f**k Onana. Massive downgrade. Should've kept Dave!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Great 2nd half!! Just one question though. Why not start a bit better?

JTRI

Same again next match but this time from the first minute.

redom

Didn't see that coming at half time, mainly because I didn't think we'd be able to keep them out on the counter while we over committed to attack but we managed to maintain an attacking threat pretty much the whole time and kept them quiet too, I think they switched off at half time thinking they'd been gifted the 3 points and couldn't respond when they needed to.

killerboi2

Villa were awful second half and indeed most of the match, glad the team made them pay.

Hopefully none of this "we have turned a corner" nonsense from the fanbase. The team still needs a major clearout.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fair play to Evra. Only one who dared suggest this United team could come back and win 3-2!

Rustyspider13

This fecking team. We're Man United, we never give up. Thanks for repaying the faith tonight United.

The Oracle

Two soft goals to concede, but a brilliant response from the team.

Really happy with the 3 points :devil:

Todd

How did that just happen?

The most unlikely second half of football I've seen in ages. I cannot believe we turned around 0-2 against a good side.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolutely made up for Hojlund.

That villa side is absolutely suicidal, I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't score against them, but we had a proper reaction in the second half.

Sign of good things to come hopefully!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Nothing like a good comeback win :drool: So happy!!!!!

Garnacho was excellent! Very happy for young Rasmus.

always_hoping

Plenty of character and togetherness shown in that win. I thought the performance was good even at 2-0 but let down by the finishing and gifting two goals to Villa.

What a way for Hojlund to get off the mark in the Premier League has been fed on scraps all season in truth.

Still no win in in seven attempts for Emery in Old Trafford the smug git.

jadaba

Fantastic turnaround, it really took a lot to accomplish this against a Villa team who are no pushovers, especially when our confidence and spirits have been in the gutter, so we really ought to applaud this from the players.

Especially pleasing to see that we did not crumble or panic after scoring, especially after the third and into those 9 mins of injury time. It easily could've been a jittery and nervewrecking finale but credit to them they didn't panic, kept shape and kept ensuring that Villa weren't able to build momentum.

Rockets Redglare

That’s exactly what I expected from us under Ten Hag, we were unreal in that second half.

So happy for Hojlund and you can see what it means to the whole team, loved seeing Onana run the entire length of the pitch to celebrate with him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’ve been asking us to pick two ball handlers in midfield in Mainoo and Eriksen, because we weren’t defending anyway, so may as well be good on the ball.

And what do you know? Better attacking performance than at any point of the season. Having actual midfielders.

Far too much is made of physicality. Technique and spatial awareness is where it’s at.

Glorious second half performance.

united for life

Fecking epic. It was one of those games where 2-0 down never felt like a loss. We played well in the first half but fell into offside a lot (6 times) and forwards missed chances. Second half was just perfect football.

- mainoo, fantastic. The game is so fast, yet he is so calm on the ball. This boy loves the club.
- rashford is a good footballer when he works his arse off!
- bruno was very good across the game. This man doesn’t get tired. Always contributing.
- garnacho played really well on the right. Can he make it his?? He had a fantastic game. Man of the match
- hojlund…. Get the feck in!!!! Finally

We actually fielded 8 academy products today. Insane!!

Superunknown

That second half was great. Felt much closer to what I thought we'd be like at the beginning of the season. Better chance creation and much more clinical finishing. Well done, lads.

DanielofLeyland

Turning point? Could be, great performance, great comeback. ETH holds on to his job.
Been said a lot when our turning point will come. I've never been convinced but we have seen a desire to win today I haven't seen all season. We pressed like demons that second half.

We are prone to mistakes but this shows we can overcome them if we have to desire and resilience to want to. Hopefully we will see more of this United and less of the poor mentality that has meant comebacks like this haven't been possible this season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Plenty of character and togetherness shown in that win. I thought the performance was good even at 2-0 but let down by the finishing and gifting two goals to Villa.

What a way for Hojlund to get off the mark in the Premier League has been fed on scraps all season in truth.

Still no win in in seven attempts for Emery in Old Trafford the smug git.
Just needed that superb assist from McGinn, and early Cole like no time to think about it, just instinct.

ken11

Thank you for that Xmas present, lads. I missed this feeling for so long.

LDUred

There were times in the first half where that was up there with some of the worst we've seen this season. Abysmal, Soccer Aid style football with no structure, players trying to do it all by themselves charging forward, players not pulling their weight, players not on the same wavelength running into each other's space. It was so disjointed.

But things did pick up towards the end of the first 45 and you always felt United had a way through. Having Eriksen there does give us added creativity but Villa were also wide open so not time to be getting carried away.

Hojlund did seem to receive more of the ball today. Maybe it's because of Eriksen coming back in.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa
  • 16% Man Utd 0:2 Aston Villa