PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Tue, 26 December 2023

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Fair play to Evra. Only one who dared suggest this United team could come back and win 3-2!
There was something different about this game that I weirdly could see where he got the optimism from. First half we had so many opportunities that slightly better decision making or timing a run better looked like there were so many goals to be had.

Paul778

Villa played quite open but having Erikson on was a big difference for us. The difference in speed of progression was huge.

Unam333

Fair play to Evra. Only one who dared suggest this United team could come back and win 3-2!
I suggested that as well. Based on the first half I really thought we could get a result. The performance in the first half was actually quite good and very encouraging. We played even better in the second half.

SER19

We have huge problems and a million things to really harshly rant about, but it was clear nobody had given up in that match. I dont know why so many people were insisting that we had. Anybody could see the players were still going.

Great win and the winner couldnt have been to a better person. Hopefully gives him a huge lift. Villa hadnt dropped a single point from winning position this season and have a good defence, that second half showed some real grit and I really didnt think we had that in us. Huge credit.

Mainoo excellent. Fernandes drove us on well. Rashford looked refreshed. And yes Onana's passing makes a difference, bizarre criticism of him again in this match.

Castia

Brilliant game that

Felt like the 'good old times' in the second half

Best ive felt watching United since the cup final last season

jadaba

On another note, I'm pretty certain that Hannibal wasn't wearing shinpads when he came on :lol: his socks were basically down to his ankles.

MrBest

Well I didn't expect that at half time. Was fearing 3 or 4 to them. Great second half, garnacho will be one player. Evans though, 37 and looking like a 30m signing right now.

yamo123x

Happy with the win.

But when the players put in lacklustre performances away to west ham, Newcastle and then turn it on tonight...it gets me thinking

It shows me It ain't the manager it's this group of players...they do it when they feel like it

Bobski

Finally Erik drops McTominay and we are so fluid. Definitely a great win coking back from 2 down. Garnacho can stay on the right and Rashford on left. Eriksen and Mainoo in midfield has so much control and creativity. Let's start winning games with this XI.
Doesn't hurt playing against a team who are basically allowing free runs on goal from 45 yards all game and banking on getting the offside right.

Great result but most teams aren't going to defend that way, it is everything Rash and Garnacho want.

JediSith

Good result against a poor Villa side.
Nonesense. Great result against a very good Villa side that no one expected us to beat before the match started yet alone when we were two down.

Dannn411

No more experimenting please. TWO deep midfielders with the CAM pushed up to join the front 3 in the attack fot the foreseeable future. We created so much more openings today just because of this obvious but simple change.

Also, no Mctominay again from the start please no matter what happens. He is the direct cause of all our problems.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
First time SJR's footballing men were watching from the stands, this was a massive massive game for EtH. At 2-0 down, I thought he was going to 'be sacked in the morning'. He has bought himself a new clean slate with that comeback win.

There's going to be a different kind of energy in that dressing room, now - a new belief that goals will come. Could be the start of something if we capitalize on it.

BorisManUtd

Only started watching around 55th minute so obviously brilliant performance from that point until the end. Great for Hojlund as his 1st PL goal proved to be a winner in a 3-2 comeback. Great night in the end and happy that there's still some life and hope in this team.

Ekeke

Credit to the youngsters especially in the 2nd half. Mainoo our best CM - didnt do a great deal going forward but kept the ball moving with simple passing and as the deepest midfielder his main job was competing and winning the ball. He did okay in the first half and then in the 2nd half he raised that a level and won several balls in the air as well as on the floor.

Garnacho for the constant threat and getting the 2 goals as well as motm and Hoijlund for taking his chance when it fell to him and scoring the winner

wolvored

TH should be bollocking them saying why couldn’t they play with that tempo every game and in this one first half. So glad for H to break his duck

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Cost me money but I’m genuinely happy for you guys.

Mainoo, Eriksen, Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho, Hojlund is the way to go. They all have decent touch

I don’t know where that came from. At half time I wouldn’t have taken 50/1 on us winning; it looked hopeless. It feels good to have the adrenaline pumping again. It’s something to give us the optimism we so badly need. ETH will be feeling very relieved tonight. Can we push on from here? We have to.

Doracle

Happy with the win.

But when the players put in lacklustre performances away to west ham, Newcastle and then turn it on tonight...it gets me thinking

It shows me It ain't the manager it's this group of players...they do it when they feel like it
It’s the manager dude. We played a sane midfield and had our best two wide players playing on the correct sides. We also got Bruno playing in a position where he can influence the game. Not a surprise we suddenly looked a competent attacking team.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Knew we would win at 2-0 down somehow. Villa can f3ck off and do one as well.

Viva Garnacho and robbing this from @JagUTD as well Merry Rasmus :)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good result against a poor Villa side.
Stick to keyboard mate. This is how Villa plays always. That's Emery for you. High press , high line and quick vertical transitions mostly. They still created lot of chances

If you have doubts, just go and check their previous matches.

JediSith

Doesn't hurt playing against a team who are basically allowing free runs on goal from 45 yards all game and banking on getting the offside right.

Great result but most teams aren't going to defend that way, it is everything Rash and Garnacho want.
Have Villa not beaten City and Arsenal this season? Maybe we just outplayed them in the 2nd half. Bruno was the orchestra I thought he could never be.

90 + 5min

Funny how some after a win suddenly blame McTominay when first half was non existent without him.

As you said, this was game made for them. Hit and run. There will be games where other team just play with low block and you need someone who is little bit different if I say in other words.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Coudn't be happier.

Let's make the level of play in the second half our standard

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 303 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results