PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 February 2024

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
1. Horrible performance.
2. Ten Hag is just a bad manager.
3. I really dont care if we win or loose anymore.

Martinez and Shaw out and we are back to panic mode defensivly.
1. Performance wasn't great but Villa rarely lose at home, we were desperate for a win which was more vital than a good performance.

2. He won a trophy, got to a final in another competition and came 3rd last season, when the team were all available and fully fit.

Strange that most of the team are now back available and we've won 3 league games in a row for the first time in ages, while being unbeaten in 6 games in all competitions.

It's really extraordinary that people write him off and won't give him the benefit of the doubt when he's been missing half of the squad for most of the season.

3. Do you really even support Manchester United, because no one with that attitude is truly a fan, you sound like nothing more than a spoilt, petulant child.

tomaldinho1

Big, big win to keep our season alive basically.

Villa could've scored 1-2 more no doubt but never thought it was a 'smash and grab' like some people suggest. It was open for either team to win it at 1-1 and we did. Great 3 points against a side above us in the table. And away at home, those wins rarely ever happen these days so will enjoy it.
Im very happy we’re basically at 2xG as an away team at a very difficult place to come. We know we’re a bit too open with the injuries we have and it’s quite clear Lindelof coming on changed things negatively for us. I wonder what the xG angainst us was in the first half versus the 2nd. Injuries have eased but that’s 2 LBs out and Martinez still and our two best defenders in Martinez and Shaw.

Villa absolutely dominated City in that same fixture. The fact we’ve come away with 3 points, quite an even game and with some big names missing is a very good result.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think you misunderstand if you think this lvl of play will give consistent results.
I would rather loose and play consistantly good, than play like this and get odd lucky results.
In my 30+ years of following United, this is the worst version i have seen so far.
Bad manager coupled with unlikable, fotball stupid players.

If we dont make massive changes this summer, nothing will change.
ETH cant even set up a defence properly.
The spelling is 'lose' by the way. But you're probably a bit thick or a child or both, judging by your last couple of posts in this thread. :houllier:

Fts 74

Not a great performance, but delighted with the win.Even when they equalised I still felt we had a goal in us buzzing when McTominay scored and to be fair I've given him plenty of stick but he's scored a few important goals for us this season fair play to him.

A lot of work still needs doing but for now I'm enjoying us scoring a few and winning.

NLunited

Villa is a good team; they were favored for this game.

We weren‘t perfect as we were sloppy in possession and missed some of the runs Villa were making, but started the game well, got a deserved lead, showed grit defending and went to find a winner when they equalized.

Overall we played well tactically, except for not seeing their runs in midfield and not making the most of the space in behind their backline. We sure tried though.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
yeah. I dont actually think we have been better than Sheffield United this year, just fortunately accumulated more points.
Hilarious.

So question, if we end up ahead of villa in 2 games time, using your logic, does that make us better then villa this year?

Reiver

Although we did win, I can't take any joy in it as we didn't play like the best team ever. And I'd rather never see McTominay in a United shirt again than come on and score the winner. Its a disgrace that is.

tomaldinho1

Horrible performance.
Ten Hag is just a bad manager.
I really dont care if we win or loose anymore.

Martinez and Shaw out and we are back to panic mode defensivly.
Very strange thing to say and then come and comment in a forum.

‘Guys, I don’t care anymore. Look at me!’

Very difficult place to get points, it wasn’t one of the fans of total football but it was a resilient display with a few key names out. Away at Pool, City, Arsenal and Villa this season I don’t really care how we play if we draw, win. It wasn’t even that bad though, seems an overreaction.

Ollie Derbyshire

Decent game but it showed again that we need legs in midfield, Casemiro, Mainoo and Bruno are fine for this season but it’s a very slow midfield three against a lot of dynamic, athletic and quick midfields in the PL.

Overall we did ok, held on at times and gave the ball away way to often. But we are playing more like a team to me even if we gave a long way to go.

tjb

Granted but you can't turn form on and off you have to play your way into it. If results keep coming over the next few weeks the patterns of play will improve with confidence.
But we cannot guarantee that it will. Nothing this season suggests that it will improve. Even with improvement, is the pattern good enough to get us where we want to be? Time and money are two of the most important things; we can't continue to waste both without evidence that we should. This for me, is why we've been terrible over the last ten years. Not players, but the failure to react to underperformance. We take too long to make decisions because we want to give everyone a fair shot. The truth is, as a business, we simply can't afford to keeping having and throwing away seasons due to poor systems, poor managers and poor players.

Like the players, the manager has to prove to us that the performances the team produces on the field are good enough for him to stay long term. For United, in February 2024, that, not simply getting into the Champions League for another group stage exit, is the most important thing.

I want to see patterns of chance creation; I want to see us move the ball to the opposition half; I want to see a good buildup; and I want to see control in games. I want to see these things because they indicate that we can consistently win games well enough to challenge for titles. That we can get 40+ goal difference and 80+ points. I want to see that the system Ten Haag employs works well even when players aren't in the starting 11. That the system works well enough for us to have rotation within the squad. These things aren't currently there, and similar to how we're judging player performances, I don't think top 4 should matter enough. In a year, we won't remember this win, so in the grand scheme of this, the temporary relief of a win isn't important. At this stage, its essentially like being happy with a win in a friendly.

Wezzaldo

Jesus some people just love to be negative. We used to win ugly under SAF all the time. Any chance of having one victory to celebrate with people trying to suck the enjoyment out of it.

tjb

So we put in crap perfomances but win games we keep the manager

We put in good performances but lose games we sack him

Perhaps there's some logic there but I'm damned if I know what it is!
Between now and the rest of the season, what are we even playing for? Top 4?
Tbh I'd sack him both ways, because we haven't done well all season.
However, I'd have more hope with performances than with results.

lex talionis

I guess it's not a universally shared feeling but I was delighted we took all three points. It was a must win match, Villa were a wounded animal and we've just lost our best player probably for the rest of the season. And we were outplayed between the boxes but we got the win. There's really need for negativity on this occasion.

Kelly15

Pulled out a win against a team away from home that is above us in the standings. What's not to like? Brillant from the boys today. All around a good performance. Defended well and took our chances. What more could you ask for? Away from home in that hostile environment. Always was going to be a tough game. But to get all 3 points is fantastic. This run of games will gives the boys some confidence for the rest of the season. So exciting, we have some real gems on our hands.

Hughie77

Very good win, Shaw goes off Lindelof all over the shop gave them more impotence to attack the left side.. Dalot has been very good last 4 games or so, that first time cross was spot on so was header. People will say Villa deserved more, that's football though how many games Have utd lost in same vien as villa were today.

Take 3pts and get moving.. hope Shaw is OK not to serious.. Big player

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Niche opinion - I thought the performance was decent. Lots of good passing and one touch football.

croadyman

Buzzing with our first away win to a top 6 side since Spurs in Oct 2021, thought we had blown it when Luiz equalised. Fair play to McTominay for popping up with another late winner.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I was celebrating the winner big time. Looks like not all United fans find joy in winning

Gordon S

3 wins in a row is a pinch me moment, fantastic!
But what the hell Erik, this is not even close to sustainable, Villa carved us open at will for long spells. We have some players back and some players finding form but his tactics just doesn`t work. We are carved open again and again by the stronger teams in the league. Some good stuff here and there from Onana, nice to see, Dalot again, great cross for the winner, Höjlund is getting to terms with prem, much needed, Garnacho lively again, could have scored again today.
Kobbie is just a quality player, simple as that, could probably play almost anywhere, but i would actually prefer if we switched him and Casemiro. Kobbie adds more deeper in midfield and Casemiro more higher up the pitch.

Wheato

Getting tired of watching opposition teams dominating us for the majority of the game. We look like we are their for the taking, and I want us to step up and control games, take authority with our senior players. The amount of times we gave the ball back to Villa, because we'd run out of options. That sort of thing is criminal in a top league. You play it around until you see gaps or spaces to play into. Watching them hoof hopeful balls into the air. Who does that in modern day football? That's championship football. We need to be much better than this.

Want to see us dominate Luton and get a hat full of goals.

Spoony

The People's President
Getting tired of watching opposition teams dominating us for the majority of the game. We look like we are their for the taking, and I want us to step up and control games, take authority with our senior players. The amount of times we gave the ball back to Villa, because we'd run out of options. That sort of thing is criminal in a top league. You play it around until you see gaps or spaces to play into. Watching them hoof hopeful balls into the air. Who does that in modern day football? That's championship football. We need to be much better than this.

Want to see us dominate Luton and get a hat full of goals.
Awww shucks we won again.

matt10000

I think you misunderstand if you think this lvl of play will give consistent results.
I would rather loose and play consistantly good, than play like this and get odd lucky results.
In my 30+ years of following United, this is the worst version i have seen so far.
Bad manager coupled with unlikable, fotball stupid players.

If we dont make massive changes this summer, nothing will change.
ETH cant even set up a defence properly.
Oh the irony, spelling football ‘fotball’ and saying ‘stupid players’ in the same sentence……

Why do you say ‘stupid players’ by the way?

Nickosaur

The posters whining would no doubt have been the first to bring up the stats about how crap our away form is against the top teams had we drawn/lost.

Poor performance, late winner, massive result. Should be over the moon ffs!

AndyMUFC

Huge win. Started well and they took over after our goal. Second half especially wasn’t great and Lindelof coming in for Shaw caused us a lot of problems, but we somehow managed to nick it.

With how good they are at home, the three points is the only thing that matters today.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We beat a side above us in league away from home. Why are people complaining?

The Purley King

Delighted with the win but far from convinced with the performance.
We lack any sort of control in midfield, which more often than not wins you games.
We had a lot of last ditch blocks, villa players 6 inches from controlling a pass and scoring. That isn’t sustainable long term. We also conceded possession so many times and control of the game in the middle of the park.
Onwards and hopefully upwards I guess but we have a long long way to go.

croadyman

Douglas Luiz clearly needs to have a chat with Alan Pardew about dancing too early against us

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 267 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Aston Villa 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Aston Villa 2:2 Man Utd