PL W FA Premier League

Aston Villa 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 February 2024

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I think a measure of where we sit in terms of actual quality, we have a mediocre squad with a few stars, sits right about in that Aston Villa, Spurs area

Injuries permitting we may get 4th/5th realistically, I think we are a 5th to 8th team right now, I think part of our problem remains the manager regardless of the current run of results, we could have easily lost yesterday, against wolves and lets face it against Newport county, I am not a doomsayer, and results build momentum regardless of how you come by them, but I am also not getting carried away, we were 8 points behind Villa at the start of the game yesterday, 9 off 4th I just do not think we have what it takes to put together enough of a run of results to really push on, fortunately we have only City and Liverpool in the next 10 matches so we should get 8 wins from 10.... I would not be shocked if we only got 4!
There's alot of effort in here to find some strains of negativity.

Fave part is claiming we nearly lost to Newport. Which we didn't.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

I think watching games on TV with constantly negative analysis or commentary has a drastic effect on how people view performances. Keane and Neville are relentlessly critical of United for obvious reasons considering their standards and the focus on us being poor rather than any other team being good is pretty standard media engagement tactic by now too*. Not to say we haven’t been mostly crap this season, but once the narrative is set, and constantly enforced by the in game pundits, it’s easy to just go along with it…

You often watch games live and come out baffled by why everyone online seems to have watched a wildly different game. I watched this in the pub so didn’t hear any commentary or stay for the punditry, and I thought it was a perfectly decent away win. We were on top for periods, let them back into it too sloppily, but in general our passing was a lot more effective than usual and so we always seemed like we could score. The idea we were ‘terrible’ is bizarre

* (I remember the Arsenal game this season for example being a generally pretty decent away performance we were a whisker away from winning being portrayed as some kind of calamitous collapse cos we conceded two goals in ludicrously extended added time whilst pushing forward for an equaliser… when that’s …just what happens in football!)

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

A lot of people have tied their colours to the ETH out mast so when we start performing better they feel like they have to ignore it. Maybe it turns out he is a good coach after all and not all his signings were awful (we can all agree that some were.)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think watching games on TV with constantly negative analysis or commentary has a drastic effect on how people view performances. Keane and Neville are relentlessly critical of United for obvious reasons considering their standards and the focus on us being poor rather than any other team being good is pretty standard media engagement tactic by now too*. Not to say we haven’t been mostly crap this season, but once the narrative is set, and constantly enforced by the in game pundits, it’s easy to just go along with it…

You often watch games live and come out baffled by why everyone online seems to have watched a wildly different game. I watched this in the pub so didn’t hear any commentary or stay for the punditry, and I thought it was a perfectly decent away win. We were on top for periods, let them back into it too sloppily, but in general our passing was a lot more effective than usual and so we always seemed like we could score. The idea we were ‘terrible’ is bizarre

* (I remember the Arsenal game this season for example being a generally pretty decent away performance we were a whisker away from winning being portrayed as some kind of calamitous collapse cos we conceded two goals in ludicrously extended added time whilst pushing forward for an equaliser… when that’s …just what happens in football!)
Think that bizarre Wolves game which you nearly completely messed up but won has given you the resilience you've lacked for most of this season when conceding. Two pretty decent wins followed with one comfortable and another you had to dig in given we dominated for large spells.

With us dipping and Spurs being Spurs and having a pretty tough away schedule you're properly in the CL race for probably first time since August as you can now actually score 2-3 goals in a game without having to totally dominate.

Mockney

Think that bizarre Wolves game which you nearly completely messed up but won has given you the resilience you've lacked for most of this season when conceding. Two pretty decent wins followed with one comfortable and another you had to dig in given we dominated for large spells.

With us dipping and Spurs being Spurs and having a pretty tough away schedule you're properly in the CL race for probably first time since August as you can now actually score 2-3 goals in a game without having to totally dominate.
Also - and you’ll probably have a better memory of this than me - but I can’t think off too many times we’ve played you at VP and you’ve not been on top for periods. Villa away has always been a tricky fixture. Even during the Fergie years my abiding memory has been of games we had to dig in, come back to draw or win from 0-2 down, or even the occasional embarrassing defeat. I rarely went in expecting an easy win. Especially not now.

I think the post-City squad quality doping era - which admittedly is the standard now that we have to try and reach - has made people believe dominating every aspect of every game is somehow the norm for successful sides when actually the norm is (or at least should be) grinding out results by weathering periods in numerous difficult away games against tough crowds and up for it players.

Last edited:

Gordon Godot

A lot of people have tied their colours to the ETH out mast so when we start performing better they feel like they have to ignore it. Maybe it turns out he is a good coach after all and not all his signings were awful (we can all agree that some were.)
Or maybe its just looking for some balance. He's got a long way to go and some of the excuses for him were laughable for a club of this stature. Beyond having more players back there is no real evidence on the pitch of a well coached team and certainly no sign of one that can dominate the ball and possession as the top teams do.

Gordon Godot

Also - and you’ll probably have a better memory of this than me - but I can’t think of TOO many times we’ve played you at VP and you’ve not been on top for periods. Villa away has always been a tricky fixture. Even during the Fergie years my abiding memory has been of games we had to dig in, come back to draw or win from 0-2 down, or even the occasional embarrassing defeat. I rarely went in expecting an easy win. Especially not now.

I think the post-City squad quality doping era - which admittedly is the standard now that we have to try and reach - has made people believe dominating every aspect of every game is somehow the norm for successful sides when actually the norm is (or at least should be) grinding out results by weathering periods in numerous difficult away games against tough crowds and up for it players.
Try watching Spurs with a manager whose been in the job for a third of the time of ETH and has a team playing exciting football and bravely playing out from the back. We apparently need some perfect set of conditions to grind out results with 6 defenders on for the last 10 minutes. Its not about 'dominating every aspect of every game', how about not looking wide open with players in acres of space within two minutes of scoring. Or the same issues every single week.

NLunited

My random thoughts after the game are:

1) Hojlund and Varane have been playing pretty regularly for a while. But, adding Maguire for Martinez and Casemiro for Amrabat/Eriksen gives us 4 really tall, physical players and we look so much more dangerous on our corner kicks and so much better defending the opponents. When McTominay comes on to add a 5th player who is good in the air we begin to look really dangerous in these situations.

2) Without Martinez our ability to play out from the back against a high press falls off a cliff. When he and Shaw are both playing we are very good at moving the ball up the left side of the field. But, when Martinez is out we completely lose the ability to do it. Doesn't matter whether he's replaced by Maguire, Lindelof, Evans or Kwambala. None of them are anywhere near his ability at shrugging off a pressing opponent and picking out a forward pass. It has an enormous impact on the overall play of the team. It's a real shame he has been available so little this season.

3) I thought Dalot was very good both in attack and defence this game. He's really quite fast and made some good recoveries on defence. He did have one dangerously poor clearance near the end of the game but I think he was really tired by that point. Despite his effort Villa were having a lot of success attacking the gap between Dalot and Varane and I don't think either Dalot or Varane were to blame. I think either Garnacho or Mainoo or perhaps both were not positioning themselves properly to help defend that space.

4) After they scored, the stadium was really noisy and the crowd was giving lots of energy to the Villa players. They had a couple of chances soon after the goal. But, then Onana took the ball out and just stood on if for about 20 seconds and waited because no Villa player was pressing him. Then Varane and Maguire each did the same thing, rinse and repeat for what seemed like about 5 minutes. At first I was getting really annoyed that no one was showing for the ball. But, then I noticed the stadium had gone completely quiet and we had taken the sting out of the game and the home crowd. Then we went up and scored. I don't know whether they were told to slow things down by ETH or if it was the Madrid players or Onana and Maguire but it was a really pro move to settle things down at that point in the game and not something United has done often in similar situations in recent seasons.

5) Rashford seemed to be trying in the final third today. He was running at the defence and taking people on which was sort of encouraging. But, when we don't have the ball he was still so low energy. A few times our guys would press and make one of their players rush a pass so that the next player receives it in a bad position and makes another poor pass and we begin to look like we've got them under pressure and then they play it out to the player Marcus is covering and he just stands off him and lets the player calmly slow things down and re-set. He must be such a frustrating player to try and press along side. And he makes no effort to challenge for 50/50 balls or even balls that are 25/75 in his favour. So frustrating to watch.

6) I really hope Shaw will be good to go by next weekend.
Nothing random about these thoughts; excellent post mate.

Mockney

Try watching Spurs with a manager whose been in the job for a third of the time of ETH and has a team playing exciting football and bravely playing out from the back. We apparently need some perfect set of conditions to grind out results with 6 defenders on for the last 10 minutes. Its not about 'dominating every aspect of every game', how about not looking wide open with players in acres of space within two minutes of scoring. Or the same issues every single week.
None of that was a defence of ETH as the true chosen one tbh. And personally I prefer to wait a season before deciding how incredible such instant transformations will ultimately pan out. Many were saying similar about ETH at this stage last season (the Barca games were literally this week a year ago) compared to the likes of Ole or Jose… even Conte at Spurs started well. Chelsea fans were saying how amazing Poch’s instant impact was in PRE-SEASON!! People also said the same about Artea, before he suddenly became ‘Lego-Pep’ and then just as suddenly didn’t again. Brendan at Liverpool too etc etc

Who knows how Ange’s Spurs will pan out. He’s doing great atm but really it’s still far too soon to say he’d do anything similar at a club with more pressure and a far more entitled calibre of player. Poch at Spurs & Chelsea is a great example of a certain type of manager only working at a certain profile club.

And this isn’t about ETH, merely about the wildly different ways people view specific performances.

Last edited:

NLunited

Possession based tactics don‘t fit this club and these players; we tried it with Van Gaal. It caused a fecking mutiny.

We have done Villa twice, Spurs were beaten by them. They also did Pep in.

Cheaty is boring to watch: they had two shots on target against Everton; they were fecking dull and toothless. I have more faith in ETH‘s tactics.

TomSkalle

I dont know what copium most of you guys are smoking, but that game yesterday was horrible and just shows how far we are from the top of the table.
It really doesnt matter if we got 3 points, because the way we play atm we can win or lose any match.

We have no defensive control, and we cant control a lead if our lives depended on it.
We are not press resistant, we cant play out of our own defence, and we have no reliable attacking pattern.
What they are doing on training is beyond me, and how ETH sets up the team is beyond me.

And yes, i understand that people think this is something to build on, but in reality it isnt.
Just horrible to whatch.

Last edited:

Scanny

Possession based tactics don‘t fit this club and these players; we tried it with Van Gaal. It caused a fecking mutiny.

Cheaty is boring to watch: they had two shots on target against Everton; they were fecking dull and toothless. I have more faith in ETH‘s tactics.
Cheaty bore me witless too.

TomSkalle

He also misspells ‘consistency’. Troll, not worth your energy
This is the 3rd post that mentions im stupid or a troll for mispelling since yesterday.
This isnt a English only forum is it?
Im Norwegian btw, whats your excuse for beeing stupid?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is the 3rd post that mentions im stupid or a troll for mispelling since yesterday.
We are definetly missing the point if we're having a go at you for spelling in a second language.

Far more to go on than that.

tomaldinho1

Big, big win to keep our season alive basically.

Villa could've scored 1-2 more no doubt but never thought it was a 'smash and grab' like some people suggest. It was open for either team to win it at 1-1 and we did. Great 3 points against a side above us in the table. And away at home, those wins rarely ever happen these days so will enjoy it.
Worth pointing out on this, we were comfortably ahead on xG at half time with Shaw on the pitch.

It also shows a bit of an xG issue. We would be about equal but McT's goal is rated as a really difficult chance, yet it's a header form the 6 yard line?

TomSkalle

We are definetly missing the point if we're having a go at you for spelling in a second language.

Far more to go on than that.
Well thats the joke isnt it.
On a forum where fotball is discussed, my spelling is the topic, because most of you know im right.
I guess the thruth hurts.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I feel you have to be of a certain generation to still hold this view. Nowadays if you concede more than 2 or 3 decent opportunities to any opponent you've produced a ragged performance and can't control games.

Gordon Godot

So we spend £400m and have the highest wage bill and cant resist a press, cant play out from the back, cant control possession. Players cant do this, or cant be coached to do this? Did Spurs have the perfect squad for Ange or did he work with what he had. The ETH excuses list seems to be endless. Lets also be clear, its Villa. Villa on a solid season with an experienced manager, but Villa. Remind me what their squad cost?

TomSkalle

I feel you have to be of a certain generation to still hold this view. Nowadays if you concede more than 2 or 3 decent opportunities to any opponent you've produced a ragged performance and can't control games.
No but conceding 4-5 opportunities inside 5 min, wich we did yesterday at some point, and have a goal difference of ZERO in february, and no recognizable pattern of play, tend to make people with half a brain somewhat worried.

cyberman

No but conceding 4-5 opportunities inside 5 min, wich we did yesterday at some point, and have a goal difference of ZERO in february, and no recognizable pattern of play, tend to make people with half a brain somewhat worried.
They didn’t have that many chances. A lot of chances were running towards our box and either getting crowded out or getting blocked by our defenders successfully closing the shot down.
If you’re worried about going away to Villa and not controlling the game then you really haven’t been following any football outside of United games. There’s a reason the top 6/7 teams have an absolute shit away record v the rest. I think we’re only one win away from City over the last season and a half?

lex talionis

Concern about living dangerously is worried, but Villa were a tough opponent who and we ground out glorious victory.

Time to start winning more comfortably though.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Or maybe its just looking for some balance. He's got a long way to go and some of the excuses for him were laughable for a club of this stature. Beyond having more players back there is no real evidence on the pitch of a well coached team and certainly no sign of one that can dominate the ball and possession as the top teams do.
I would say the improvement in Dalot, Hojlund, Garnacho and McT and the emergence of Mainoo all point to a very decent coach. We won't dominate possession until we get a younger player than Casemiro and a less peripheral one than Bruno. That will take time. ETH started from an extremely low base after over a decade of mismanagement at every level of the club.

TomSkalle

They didn’t have that many chances. A lot of chances were running towards our box and either getting crowded out or getting blocked by our defenders successfully closing the shot down.
If you’re worried about going away to Villa and not controlling the game then you really haven’t been following any football outside of United games. There’s a reason the top 6/7 teams have an absolute shit away record v the rest. I think we’re only one win away from City over the last season and a half?
They didnt have that many chances?
I mean, is it possible we didnt whatch the same game?
Pure luck, and MoM goalkeeper is the only reason we got anything out of that game.
And btw, it doesnt have anything to do about playing away against a difficult oponent, it has something to do about how we actually looked in that game.
We had absolutly no defensive control, we lost ALL control in the match as soon as we scored and tried defending our lead.

We dont look good on the ball, we cant play a passing game, and we are not that good at counterattacking, we are not good at defending, and we are not scoring enough goals.
So what are we good at?

Atleast under Ole we had control most of the time defensivly, and had a good counterattack game.
But under ETH, we are just not good at anything?

We brought this guy in to play passing fotball Ajax style, but have ended up playing a mish mash of style fotball, that has no pattern of play at all?
He has bought 10+ players, but still people are making excuses for him for not playing a passing game?

I was really glad when ETH became our manager, but enough is enough.
And yesterday, i mean its just no excuse.

Gordon Godot

I would say the improvement in Dalot, Hojlund, Garnacho and McT and the emergence of Mainoo all point to a very decent coach. We won't dominate possession until we get a younger player than Casemiro and a less peripheral one than Bruno. That will take time. ETH started from an extremely low base after over a decade of mismanagement at every level of the club.
Mainoo was a youth product, come off it. He's a credit to our academy which does seem to be on the up. Same with Garnacho though he's had more time with the senior squad. So now we need to spend more than the £400m to get a younger Casimero, so why did he buy Mount? Or indeed Casimero who was already aging. The club is a mess but the quality of the squad is often underrated, nearly all are seasoned professionals. And improvement in McT, have you actually watched him in midfield this season? He can deliver the odd goal which is good but he should never start a match.

Seriously, a couple of wins and the fan boys are back. Its nice to win a few games but the same weaknesses as last season and the start of this season are still there.

cyberman

Pure luck, and MoM goalkeeper is the only reason we got anything out of that game.
And btw, it doesnt have anything to do about playing away against a difficult oponent, it has something to do about how we actually looked in that game.
We had absolutly no defensive control, we lost ALL control in the match as soon as we scored and tried defending our lead.

We dont look good on the ball, we cant play a passing game, and we are not that good at counterattacking, we are not good at defending, and we are not scoring enough goals.
So what are we good at?

Atleast under Ole we had control most of the time defensivly, and had a good counterattack game.

We brought this guy in to play passing fotball Ajax style, but have ended up playing a mish mash of style fotball, that has no pattern of play at all?
He has bought 10+ players, but still people are making excuses for him for not playing a passing game?

What other chances? The point blank Onana save and scuffed shot just before our goal?
you can talk about patterns of football all you want but your point means little when this was against a top 5 side and nobody consistently plays well away to those sides. The most unsustainable way to play is to set out to control those games with this weeks buzzword phrase of patterns of play and controlling the game.
Literally no other team in the league does this yet let’s pile on Ten Hag for winning away to Villa?!
You have an argument as whole that I fully agree with but to come out with this after a tough win v Villa is fecking absurd.

Mockney

Tbf I think the 0 GD thing is absolutely a fair and sensible criticism. We’ve been shocking up front this season… but then isn’t the fact we seem to have finally found a settled forward line and scored 17 in the last 6 exactly what people are being positive about? The main reason there’s a little small hint of optimism around the place now (which doesn’t even translate to a defence of ETH) is that our strikers are actually scoring goals. If you can’t find positivity in us NOT doing the thing you’re most negative about anymore, then it’s fair to say you’re not looking to.

You could simply just wait until we go on another bad run to moan rather than inserting your moan template into a relatively okay run of form where we’ve averaged 3 goals a game & our 20 year old striker has 6 in 6

Last edited:

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

So what are we good at?

Who would you hire as our 'next' manager?

Cantonagotmehere

Graem Le Seaux hates us and is unwatchable here in the States. Too bad he does the commentary with Campion (sp?) who I enjoy. Thank goodness Arlo White took the money and hit the LIV tour. He sucked eggs.

Fts 74

I dont know what copium most of you guys are smoking, but that game yesterday was horrible and just shows how far we are from the top of the table.
It really doesnt matter if we got 3 points, because the way we play atm we can win or lose any match.

We have no defensive control, and we cant control a lead if our lives depended on it.
We are not press resistant, we cant play out of our own defence, and we have no reliable attacking pattern.
What they are doing on training is beyond me, and how ETH sets up the team is beyond me.

And yes, i understand that people think this is something to build on, but in reality it isnt.
Just horrible to whatch.
Here you go again, give it a rest or go and support someone else deary me.

Zed 101

Did you watch the Newport game.... and I said could have easily lost, in that we played badly enough to lose...

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s not your spelling. It’s your trolling. Support the team if you are a supporter

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I just watched highlights again. The face on Dracula … after last minute winner

JB7

Did you watch the Newport game.... and I said could have easily lost, in that we played badly enough to lose...
I was at the game and I'm sure you're on about a different game. We went 2-0 up, missed a couple of big opportunities to go 3/4-0 up, they scored a freak goal and we were a bit wobbly for 5 minutes after half time, during which time they equalised and after that we got back on the ball and pretty much dominated the game. It wasn't a great performance but there wasn't a person in that ground that ever felt like it was going to end in any other result that a United win, it was a matter of when rather than if.

IIRC their only chance of note after the equaliser was a shot from about 40 yards that Bayindir didn't even bother diving for so I'm genuinely interested how you think we could have lost the game without the opposition ever coming remotely close to going ahead.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought first half was a decent performance even though Villa probably deserved to be level on balance.

Second half was similar except it had Lindelof playing at left back in it, which was (unsurprisingly) an unmitigated disaster. Villa kept running down our left and cutting balls back freely into our box, and really we should have lost purely through the amount of openings that caused. I don't know what Lindelof was doing and I know he isn't a left back, buy, what WAS he doing?

We showed good character to come back and score again, and actually seemed to get a hold of the game again for a bit the 5-10 minutes before. We also were pretty decent with the ball all game, just FAR too vulnerable without it once Shaw went off.

Sometimes you can be lucky and also decent at the same time, and I'll take that as its a big step in the right direction from being lucky and unfathomably rubbish.

Also though there is no way any team in the top 4 brings their version of Lindelof on at LB at half time, ever. Tottenham are the only team who even have players who are that vulnerable.

This is our problem and was also last season. The drop off as soon as we pick up a few injuries is less a drop off and more a bottomless chasm. If we lose a fullback it's a disaster. If we lose a CB it's Johnny Evans. If we lose Casemiro it's Mctominay or no midfield. If we lose a forward in any position Antony is the back up. Apart from Hojlund no one who we signed in the Sumner has done anything to address this. At best they've replaced players who have left but haven't added any depth in quality. At worst they've just become one of the ones you hope we don't have to start.

Demon Barber

This TomSkalle person - dear me! He may well be Norwegian, who knows? He is clearly a troll though (Norwegian) It's equally funny and annoying.

"I was really glad when ETH became our manager, but enough is enough.
And yesterday, i mean its just no excuse"

No excuse. For winning. Away. Again. ???

The Urban Goose

Why do I imagine a unhappy person writing this in there mums house, while eating chocolate bar bought from a petrol station?
No idea; maybe daydreaming at school instead of paying attention during your English class? I recommend you focus on the latter.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 267 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Aston Villa 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Aston Villa 2:2 Man Utd