CL L Champions League Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 0:1 Atletico Madrid

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 March 2022

Redfrog

If you think it's feasible to change a whole starting 11 in one summer. Then fair play.
Probably not but it’s not because we can’t change them that they should be in the first 11.
If Shaw show some form from last season, he is twice the player Telles is.

El Zoido

The only consolation out of this is that Atletico are one of the remaining teams in this competition who can stop the dippers from winning it. So go on Simeone and do your shithousery tactics on them this time
They’re not that good, Liverpool will wreck them.

Steve 007

Keane and Scholes agree we should get Simone. No thank you. No, no and no. We’ve already had Mourinho, we don’t need that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only consolation out of this is that Atletico are one of the remaining teams in this competition who can stop the dippers from winning it. So go on Simeone and do your shithousery tactics on them this time
Except they've beaten them twice this season already.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
I think this CL fixture was square from start. Both Man Utd and Atletico have dissapointed, although Atletico had done so a bit more because they won La Liga last year.

Nevertheless, I had the sensation Atleti would win. With all their mistakes and hard tactics, they still have a better play as a team and have shown a better progression during the season (Herrera and Kondogbia replacing Koke and Saúl has been the most noticeable change in midfield, and Suarez and Griezmann being changed for Correa and Joao Felix/Cunha). Even their bench seem resourceful for these last stages of the season... I cannot say the same for United.

United does not even know which manager will be leading the team next season. A crucial decision must be made soon into renewing/dismissing several players and get to know which others to add and United is very very far from having decided their manager. Only thing is certain is that Rangnick will not continue and it seems his incentive to keep United 4th will dwindle. Why would he care if he won't be guaranteed a job?

A moment like this needs leaders, and I don't see any in United at the moment.

MrSingh2002

Probably not but it’s not because we can’t change them that they should be in the first 11.
If Shaw show some form from last season, he is twice the player Telles is.
Luke Shaw has had one good season in 7? If that's not enough reason to understand they're not dedicated enough to improving then nothing is.

Redfrog

Luke Shaw has had one good season in 7? If that's not enough reason to understand they're not dedicated enough to improving then nothing is.
Probably but on the form he was last year he is better then Telles. By the way I think we need an upgrade on both. I was just pointing Telles is really average player as are our 4 full backs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
They’ve already lost to them twice in the group stage, although one of them the ref had an absolute mare, and they had to play the majority of the other leg with 10 men.

Hughie77

People moaning about United rhythm, it is difficult to get a rhythm going when Atletico insisting of falling over and rolling around and then the referee falling for it each time. It makes sure there is no flow to the game. Like City fouling opposition players to stop them getting going. They are a poor side and this is the only tactic they have. That was why we needed to score the first goal. They are cynicism at it's worst.
Agree had to score 1st, you new what they were going to do from the first leg. And a weak ref fell for everything they did, its difficult then. Elanga chance goes in its a different game. Small margins, and yes there a bang average team they new it but there game plan worked through a weak ref.

UTD_Since_1978

Atletico weren't that good really, I thought that was a very winnable game for us but we blew it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What the feck happened from last season though? How do you get from being a half decent team to improving it with genuine quality and then get so, so much worse? Maguire, Shaw have very good tournament at national level and they come back as league one players. Half the team or more looks like they've forgot how to play football. I've never seen such a monumental drop in performance from an entire team before. Even our so called ability to rely on individual quality is gone, for the most part.
Who knows? Its like the euros from the summer made almost all our key players from the previous season shit.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Hansi Flick. He did work miracles with the team after the sorry football Bayern played under Kovac. But he also had incredible players available. Lewandowski is the obvious example, a 2 time Balon d'Or winner in his prime (if we had lived in a fair world). But he was also able to call upon the incredible Kimmich, the perhaps GOAT of goalkeepers Neuer, Alaba who has replaced Ramos so well he isn't even missed and so on.
He's a better manager than the guy who replaced him. You played the best football in Europe in my estimation.

MrSingh2002

Probably but on the form he was last year he is better then Telles. By the way I think we need an upgrade on both. I was just pointing Telles is really average player as are our 4 full backs.
I agree. It's a case of a manager picking the two he feels suits the style of play best. Ralf seems to like Dalot and Telles whereas Ole went with Shaw and AWB.

Neither pairing have won f all so this one could be debated all day. Guess we have to see what the next manager wants now.

copen1945

Atletico's midfield two of Koke and De Paul worked well. Koke was pushing forward, and De Paul staying back. They occupied the middle, and United couldn't go through them. When Griezemann dropped into space, the overload in the middle created problems for United CB's, especially Maguire, and our midfield two. Koke and De Paul aren't young and cannot be cheap, but I wouldn't mind one or both in United's squad.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
He's a better manager than the guy who replaced him. You played the best football in Europe in my estimation.
Yeah, most definitely. Nagelsmann is to impressionable and prone to overcommit offensively just like his idol Guardiola.

The reason Flick left was integrity + opportunity to take over NT. Key Players left, he wanted adequate replacement but all he got was a war with the technical director in possession of the wallet.

Nagelsmann is currently frustrated for the same reasons but he knows he is young and that it's best for him in the long run to keep a smile on his lips, otherwise it's back to Leipzig or wherever.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hard to say. Defensively, we were also very vulnerable under Flick.
The overall quality of the squad dropped quite a bit since the win if the CL.

Thiago, Coutinho, Perisic, Martinez, Alaba and Boateng all left, being replaced only by Sané, Upamecano and Sabitzer. The latter two being quite underwhelming so far.

Maticmaker

We keep hearing about different managers for United, but honestly what manager could get our current squad into shape? I would suggest he would be someone who wears a large pointed black hat, dresses in black robes, carries a magic stick(which he calls a wand) and is known by the name of Merlin!

big_jeffstar

Yeah and 4 minutes of injury time was a joke. One of their players took a full 30 seconds to take a free kick at the start of that time too, which was pretty hilarious but I guess that's what can happen. I'd be happy if it was us doing it. Referee needs to be stronger, he was a joke.
You’d think we’d get wise to that sort of shithousery, but it’s almost like these players have never played football before sometimes, they look list against absolutely any team that is organised or has a plan to win the game, it’s a massive problem really

Aresma7

Mata for Maguire was such a baffling substitution. Maguire is more likely to get you a goal from a corner or something than current Mata.
not really. Mata more likely to have an assist or score from a free kick. Maguire does f*** all. How many goals does he have from a corner by now?

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
I by no mean want to insult anyone or start a quarrel, but how the hell is it possible for a person to support a football team which so obviously plays ugly anti-football?

Don't get me wrong, at least Atleti has a game plan compared to United, but it just hurts my brain how dirty and unsportsmanlike at times Atleti plays. I know results is the only thing that matters as well, but this is just next level.
I don't care for the dirty tricks, but I can appreciate defensive play and think dominance in a game can be achieved in more ways than one. Tbh, Atleti can do better, but they're finally hitting some form so I'll see what happens.

It's not always beautiful (but sometimes it really is, especially when Felix and Lemar get things going), but I definitely think it's not ugly.

I don't even care for the results that much either, I just support them mostly for basic reasons like any other club's fans, in my case because I liked Torres in a PES 4 demo, other people just join their parents to the stadium next door. Plus I don't watch football that much anymore, so I am literally less bothered by the bad games. And when I happen to turn a game on in the background and there are great moments or there is great tension, I'll enjoy it.

They've been worse, they've won with even more luck, but this one wasn't too bad.

lex talionis

A shitehouse result by a shitehouse club. But did we deserve anything more than we got? Not a chance.

UTD_Since_1978

Could've been a Manchester derby in the QF, now City have to put up with them instead, I hope they have better luck than we did...no I don't, I hope Atletico do a number on them.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 240 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:1 Atletico Madrid
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Atletico Madrid