EL D Europa League Play-off 1st Leg

Barcelona 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 16 February 2023

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The passage of play circa. 60 minutes which lead to Wan-Bissaka’s deflected effort was absolutely sensational.

I haven’t watched it back since but from memory there was 3-4 quick, one-touch passes from our left-back area of the pitch, up through midfield and into a scoring position on the edge of Barcelona’s penalty area with our right-back taking the final shot.

We rinsed them time and time again in the transition. What a terrific, encouraging performance.

Buchan

People criticising De Jong (which I get as he was largely uninvolved) must consider how good he’d look under Ten Hag and also the transformative effect he’d have on our game.

We are one elite press-resistant ball-carrier in the midfield from being exceptional in that area of the pitch. I think De Jong would be incredible for us and I really hope we go in for him again this summer.

cyberman

People criticising De Jong (which I get as he was largely uninvolved) must consider how good he’d look under Ten Hag and also the transformative effect he’d have on our game.

We are one elite press-resistant ball-carrier in the midfield from being exceptional in that area of the pitch. I think De Jong would be incredible for us and I really hope we go in for him again this summer.
De Jong fails in every European night for them though. Yesterday wasn’t a one off. He doesn’t look that press resistant to me

Jeffthered

Super football match, everything about it... both teams a little too open (I think there were 30+ shots in the match..??) so, there is still work to do, definitely... but we look a team now, highlighted by the fact we still have some limitations across the sqaud... but they look like they are enjoying the new football environment... the attitude of DDG, Shaw, Varane... Casemiro.. Rashford.. this rubs off on Wurt, AWB, the others.. to play for Man United means you have to have some nuts about you, don't fold, moan, whinge etc... you get on and get out there, compete and express yourself. It's great.

Was a fair result in the end.. and the return will also be a shoot-out (because Barca will be better.... no doubt)

Tapori

What I loved was the frenetic fearless and organised chaos of our attacking play. Variety yes but we need even more methods of playing too.

Xavi was full of praise for us and it truly was a classic and reminiscent of our Champion's League 1999 Group Matches with LVG's Barca.

SuperiorXI

I missed the game :(

Just watched the highlights on YouTube and it looks like we were hanging on at the end and didn't really get that many chances... is that a fair assessment? Doesn't sound like it.

Tapori

It was the few occasions playing top tier Spanish teams and Barca where I didn't feel were just below their level waiting purely for the counter all the time. We matched them and rose at key moments.

Progress

Tapori

Just watched the highlights on YouTube and it looks like we were hanging on at the end and didn't really get that many chances... is that a fair assessment? Doesn't sound like it.
The match had many phases. It was like basketball in a way.
Towards the end Barca did, naturally playing at home, turn up the pressure and we had to defend BUT we had many decent transitions; the Garnacho one especially where if he gets better control he has a chance to run through on goal and Rashfords extra chance.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah, a shame both teams couldn't play with their best players. It will be even worse for us in the 2nd leg without Dembele, Gavi, Pedri and probably Busquets. That's why I expect a lose against you guys next week. We needed a win yesterday to have chances to advance. Still, it was a very exciting game between both clubs as always when we meet. EL doesn't interest both clubs I think.
Yes, true. It depends if Xavi can learn from yesterday's game and adapt. Because to be honest, I think United were unlucky not to win yesterday. And before the game I expected we would lose.

If Xavi adapts his approach then he could win.

Fluctuation0161

I think barcelona 2008-2009, and 2010-2011 who shutdown united in champions league final, is more untouchable than today team
Yes. But they are not the weakest Barcelona team you've ever seen though? Which is what you said in your original post. Unless you stopped watching them for a season or two. :)

SuperiorXI

Please find the whole match and watch it. You'll be thoroughly entertained.
The match had many phases. It was like basketball in a way.
Towards the end Barca did, naturally playing at home, turn up the pressure and we had to defend BUT we had many decent transitions; the Garnacho one especially where if he gets better control he has a chance to run through on goal and Rashfords extra chance.
I'll try and find it somewhere, gutted I missed it as from the sounds of it it was an unbelievable game.

KjaAnd

There was a brief spell where we were hanging on at the end but overall, I would say we had the better chances. Definitely went toe to toe with them. Very entertaining game.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Xavi was full of praise for us and it truly was a classic and reminiscent of our Champion's League 1999 Group Matches with LVG's Barca.
it reminded me of the 1999 games too ,breathtaking stuff it was an a throwback to what made both Utd and Barca such great sides to watch. The match at OT could still go either way but i think the lads will be well up for it. I am actually quite relaxed about the end result of the tie either way, but will hope its another entertainment fest like that again.

I loved the ETH yellow card too, there is some fight in our bald wonder.

Tapori

it reminded me of the 1999 games too ,breathtaking stuff it was an a throwback to what made both Utd and Barca such great sides to watch. The match at OT could still go either way but i think the lads will be well up for it. I am actually quite relaxed about the end result of the tie either way, but will hope its another entertainment fest like that again.

I loved the ETH yellow card too, there is some fight in our bald wonder.
Yes for sure

NLunited

We got more clear chances than Barcelona, we should have won. At 2-1 we could have finished them off, but we were not composed enough.

Hag thought we should have scored four.

In the end I‘m happy we got a draw. Our team is still developing.

jackal&hyde

I was expecting a bit of a back to reality situation but was very happy to see a United that were more then a match to arguably the most in form team in Europe. We are moving in the right direction to say the least and I can see how much better we will be with a couple of quality additions plus more training.

Rashford, Casemiro, Varane, Shaw were superb. The play in transition is exceptional. The spirit is as it should be.

The negatives: we have issues keeping on to the ball, partly due to individual quality, AWB, Fred, Sancho not being at his best yet, Bruno trying to do to much to compensate for a lack of creativity from others, partly because the team needs more training to keep formation/ positions to have passing options, something that ETH pointed out.

Maticmaker

The match was what European Football is all about and two teams steeped in its history gave us excellent entertainment. United more than held their own and should have finished with a 2-3 or even a 2-4 result.
We are improving there is no doubt about that.

IRN-BRUno

Entertaining game, slightly disappointing in that we created more than enough chances to win but I guess Barcelona could say the same.

Wasn't really expecting us to go through but with a few more players back for the 2nd leg we should be favourites now.

Buchan

De Jong fails in every European night for them though. Yesterday wasn’t a one off. He doesn’t look that press resistant to me
I accept your first point to be fair.

I do think, however, he’s being misused and under-used at Barcelona and a move here, to a manager who clearly rates him and knows how to get the best out of him, would be a roaring success.

Imagine a trio of Casemiro, De Jong as the line-breaking ball-carrier and say Fernandes ahead of both feeding balls to our front three… I think we’d be exceptional and well on our way towards the summit of English and European football again.

the gafferjs

I did not see the game so I cannot comment on it.

Even though I did not see it, I knew I could come on here to see the default slating of certain players and the overhyping of certain other players.

Andy Mitten touched upon it the other day in a podcast, people are far too reactive on what they have just seen and or jump on bandwagons, especially on line.

The Team got a great 2-2 Draw and should finish the job at OT, that is what we should be speaking about, not slating people for not being amazing every game. There is no player on this earth who is amazing every minute of every game, anyone who says there is they would be lying as its not possible.

NLunited

I accept your first point to be fair.

I do think, however, he’s being misused and under-used at Barcelona and a move here, to a manager who clearly rates him and knows how to get the best out of him, would be a roaring success.

Imagine a trio of Casemiro, De Jong as the line-breaking ball-carrier and say Fernandes ahead of both feeding balls to our front three… I think we’d be exceptional and well on our way towards the summit of English and European football again.
Imagine being one of the best progressive ball carriers in the world and being told not to dribble.

Redbandito

The way Rashford is finishing right now, and with him effectively holding down the 9 yesterday, having Sabitzer and Antony back should hopefully spare us having to watch Weghorst. The options off the bench were extremely limited, but man that guy can’t play at this level…especially as a CM.

Buchan

Imagine being one of the best progressive ball carriers in the world and being told not to dribble.
Crazy, right?

I get the impression that De Jong would relish the challenge of coming to United and being a vital component of the team in our (hoped) revival; it’s the other stuff (personal life, Barcelona - Manchester lifestyle comparisons etc.) which have me sceptical about whether the move happens.

I have no hesitation in thinking he’d be a supreme recruit and the last piece of our midfield puzzle.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Xavi called us Manchester. He didnt even acknowledge the existence of his bald senior's club.

rio vander vidic

Supports
united
Yes. But they are not the weakest Barcelona team you've ever seen though? Which is what you said in your original post. Unless you stopped watching them for a season or two. :)
Honestly i only watch barcelona full match if they face united..wich is 1998-1999 CL

That's so little reference barcelona match for me..hehe

And those two finals its so unfortunate for united

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 72% of 300 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 277 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win