EL W Europa League Play-off 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 Barcelona

Post-match discussion

Thu, 23 February 2023

Redfrog

It’s not more important than the three trophies we’ve won since Fergie but this result over two legs feels like the most significant moment for me for some reason. Barcelona are a top top team and look likely to win la liga and we beat them deservedly. Better team first leg better team 2nd half today
Yeah, because the manner was very good overall after the two games. Instead of playing like a small team as we almost always did after Fergie, we went toe to toe with them. That made the tie very exciting for everyone watching. Love this United.

Lee565

You're welcome premier league, after a week of woeful performances from the other Premier league sides in Europe, United have smashed it by beating the top side in spain

Slon

Gotta feel for Lewa, he had the special treatment tonight.
I love the fact that we were very physical. Obviously very good with the ball but physical part I enjoyed the most.

Baneofthegame

I would say as well, outside of Koundes header, can't remember Dave having to do too much.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Don’t let anyone say that was a game of two halves. It was a game of two Man Utds.

Barca were fairly comfortable because we were shit, but they didn’t really do anything either. Second half we absolutely battered them. Easier game than Leicester

Hag is the one

I’m loving my life

Despite their attempts to shithouse us through the first half, we stepped it up and outplayed the snivelling rancid fecks and shoved their cheating where the sun doesn’t shine. Hopefully their financial situation worsens now and they deservingly go defunct.

Cloud7

Imagine beating Juve next. :D That would only make it better.
They want to make Europa exciting so I’m sure we will be facing Juve before long.

To be fair, having beaten Barcelona I would say we are the best team left in the competition and we should be winning it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Missed the match bc of work and meetings…..just saw the score. get the fuk in there!!!!

how was the match and atmosphere?
Awesome. First half was tough and cagey. Ref gave us feck all. Second half we went at them like mad. One of the great matches.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Some would praise EtH. Some would praise Antony, some would praise Fred.

Frankly, it’s obvious the reason we won:

I will not be watching on Sunday.
Everyone has a role on this team, you’re playing yours well. Respect the sacrifice.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Fcukin love it!! Was pissed at HT with the ref but believed that we can turn it around. The lads were brilliant in the 2nd half. Fred never stopped running, Bruno woke up. Can't fault a single player in the 2nd half. Absolute mentality monsters:devil:

Baneofthegame

Gave MOTM to Fred as well, fantastic second half, could say the same for Casemiro, Martinez and Varane as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Couldn't live with our pace and intensity in the second half. Great subs, great goal from Antony, and a great win. What a night!

Now roll on Sunday!

Redfrog

Casemiro and Varane, 2 men with 9 champions leagues between them, giving their absolute all for Manchester United in the last 32 of the Europa League. Something truly special is building here.
And Varane retiring from international football to only play with us make it even better.
I think it’s the best way for him to manage his body and have a good 5 years with us.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
We love you, United. We do.

Oh, United we love you.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I predicted on Tuesday that we'd go behind but the team that defended better would win and Varane and Martinez turned in world-class performances, maybe as good a CB- pairing in game as our very very best. I love Martinez's passion and how it syncs perfectly with Varane's coolness. I absolutely f@cking love Varane and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves from enough people in the caf.

Of course, Cas was very good too and DDG made two very very good saves although I stick by my criticism as an all-round keeper. His shot-stopping remains among the best, most of the time.

Antony had possibly his best game for us - he does only seem to score when he can curl it past a keeper, or at least across them. I thought Garnacho made a huge difference too - and loving the blond bombshell look ha ha

Must say, I didn't realise some of the other teams who were also in the play-offs and now not so unhappy at not being seeded for the last-16 draw!

Kudos to the boss too. What a feckin difference it makes to have someone who knows what they are doing and who buys the right players! It would be nice if we played well in both halves though, ha ha (Fred in the second half of both games sums it up)

Brilliant although not sure I'll get to sleep now...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Fantastic match over both legs and we showed a lot of quality and grit to win it. Nice to see a Europa tie that good, pretty sure I haven't before.

The Original

Garnacho needs to be taught how to manage a game. A couple of times when he should have gone to the corner he gave the ball away with loose passes into the middle, leading to dangerous counters. Should know better.

Edit:

He played very well overall to be fair, and he's currently one of my favourites but for someone who's shaping up to be a very important part of the season despite his youth, he could do with improving the decision-making aspect of his game.

Last edited:

Winrar

That second half was as good as anything I've seen from United in god knows how long.

Al-T

What EtH has done in such a short space of time is phenomenal. Truly phenomenal.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I predicted on Tuesday that we'd go behind but the team that defended better would win and Varane and Martinez turned in world-class performances, maybe as good a CB- pairing in game as our very very best. I love Martinez's passion and how it syncs perfectly with Varane's coolness. I absolutely f@cking love Varane and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves from enough people in the caf.

Of course, Cas was very good too and DDG made two very very good saves although I stick by my criticism as an all-round keeper. His shot-stopping remains among the best, most of the time.

Antony had possibly his best game for us - he does only seem to score when he can curl it past a keeper, or at least across them. I thought Garnacho made a huge difference too - and loving the blond bombshell look ha ha

Must say, I didn't realise some of the other teams who were also in the play-offs and now not so unhappy at not being seeded for the last-16 draw!

Kudos to the boss too. What a feckin difference it makes to have someone who knows what they are doing and who buys the right players! It would be nice if we played well in both halves though, ha ha

Brilliant although not sure I'll get to sleep now...
Echos how I feel, not sure I can sleep now.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s not more important than the three trophies we’ve won since Fergie but this result over two legs feels like the most significant moment for me for some reason. Barcelona are a top top team and look likely to win la liga and we beat them deservedly. Better team first leg better team 2nd half today
Even without the result, the progress is just so significant. The result is the icing on the cake.

Tiber

What a win. Tax free Qatari mansions for the whole squad!

I've been a long term Fred critic but he has been so much better this season

redshaw

Brilliant response in the second half. I felt ETH would regroup the team and make the right sub. To be fair this tie has swung back and forth and I've loved our goals and attacking verve.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 50% of 410 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Barcelona win
  • Draw