CL L Champions League Group A

Bayern Munich 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 September 2023

Zed is not dead

Very hard game to analyse.
Literally half the team is unavailable, yet we managed to look the better for a good chunk of the first half, a penalty worthy foul on one of our player doesn’t get checked.
Then as usual they score on their first shots in targets and our keeper decides to have a howler (or several, depends on how severe you are).
We come back but our mood gets instantly killed by a very soft penalty.
We still manage to get two goals and concede one on a counter where the keeper once again may or may not have done something better.

I’m really hoping players will start to come back from injury

djembatheking

Expected really, so many key players missing and no one on the bench. Scoreline flatters us but Bayern were always getting the 3 points so things might improve when we get a few players back. Made up for Hojlund getting off the mark. Just glad we didn`t get smashed by a big score.

sirAlexsglasses

up until the Onana clusterfeck we were doing ok, then…..as usual, we folded like a deck chair. Shit officiating and VAR has cost us at least a draw, we were not good, but FFS when will we get the run of the green for any decisions , and how weak mentally is this team, as soon as we concede their heads go and they shit themselves. Erikson is a liability he really is, gave away possession far too easily after we scored setting up their attack leading to the goal.

tompo18

Two poor sides, although they do have a couple of decent players.

Did anyone else see Jerry Springer on the Bayern bench?

cyberman

Could have won the game if Utd were a serious team. Bayern played that half arsed as if they were playing a bottom of the table team they could beat at will while having some fun along the way. It reflected badly on both teams.
Strange game. They scored 2 when we dominated, scored their third when we started off the second half pegging them back and we scored 2 at the end even when we ran out of steam and Bayern were cutting through us out wide .
At least we aren’t boring

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We could’ve beaten them on another night. The ref was awful, him and onana gifted them two goals. But we don’t help ourselves at all.

HackeyC

Ref couldn't wait to blow full time. Goal by Bayern at 91, game restarts 90 seconds later. Free at 93:40. United score immediately. Where did the 2 minutes go?

Steve 007

Gutted. Goal keeper howler aside we were on top then 2-0 down. Brave start to 2nd half and the VAR idiots complete their review and then review again. We deserved a draw.

Giggsy13

3 goals away at Bayern and we still lose. Our defending is shambolic. We have injuries yes but wtf is ten Hag instructing our players to do

RomfordRed75

Very strange game....conceded 4 could have been 8, but bar a howler from Onana and very very soft pen we may have got something out of it!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We were the better team up until their penalty. We were genuinely abysmal out of possession after that point - Bayern could have scored 6 after that point alone. I guess it’s difficult to keep believing considering that shocking decision but when we have bad spells in games we really are downright shoddy.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Hypothetically, if you didn't watch the game you may think we were unlucky and could have scraped something.

Watching the game makes you hate this team for being so pathetic. Impossible to sum up.
\Come on we weren't pathetic. Against Brighton yes, but not tonight. Lots of work for us to do but some encouraging signs. Let's leave the negativity.

Kevzter

Onana handed them the game early. That bullshit penalty call didn't help us...it was laughable actually. On the bright side Rasmus got his goal and Rashford finally passed the ball...which is a miracle in itself, let's hope he learns from it. I didn't expect us to win this game...well like many others here I expected us to get hammered but it was alot closer than expected. Thank got ETH gave up on that diamond midfield.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Really beginning to despise Eriksen. He needs to get the Maguire treatment. I hope he gets binned once Mount and Amrabat are fit.

siw2007

We lost, conceded 4 goals but 4 3 away isn’t that bad. It threatened to be a thrashing but we’ve kept the score line respectable. Positive is that we kept going to the end which is important. Disappointed with the penalty, for VAR to wave it away then change their mind was cruel. There of course areas where we are rubbish, too slow in midfield and can’t/won’t track back into our own box.

If we can score 3 against Bayern, we can do it against Burnley. Need to get the heads right and get the job done at home at the weekend.

Abhinav

Good start -> miss chances -> bad error -> lose our head & concede more -> fight back -> lose our concentration again -> bad ref decision -> rinse and repeat.
Story of our season so far. Poor preparation, questionable signings, poor organisation, weak mentality, injuries, bad luck, poor ref decisions all leading to a disastrous start to the campaign.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
When they brought in Coman, we could only bring in McTominay.

That says everything about how far we have fallen as a squad. Fe*k the Glazers.

If only Ten Hag could be backed by proper scouts, proper owners and proper top management. Our club is a clusterf*ck of mishaps.

Cathy Ferguson

Shocking from Onana and really stupid by Eriksen. We might have got something from this game otherwise even though Bayern were the better team.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We’ve committed individual errors that one way or another led to goals in every single one of the last 3-4 matches.
Yup. Up until those goals the opponent wasn't doing much of anything. We're just not hard to play against when we're losing. We take risks that leaves our midfield and pushed up full backs exposed. Our system is built to win games and take advantage of opponent mistakes which is much harder to pull of if we keep giving away goals and going behind.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Better than expected but I felt Bayern were in control, no way we were going to win this.
What is annoying is that there are glimpses of good football and then again we make really stupid errors.

Kinky Melinky

I'm absolutely fuming at the refereeing today. With a pen rightfully given to use who knows how that game develops. Losing by one goal hurts so much knowing you deserved a goal but were denied.
I think you're forgetting the number of chances Bayern had. They hit the woodwork twice! They also dominated the 2nd half, passing the ball about comfortably bar the odd break away we managed to grab. I think we did the best we could do never stop trying to make something of the game, but there is no way we deserved to win that game.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
4 losses this season already. Ten Hag has his work cut out to turn this around.

Rustyspider13

I don't want to see Casemiro-Eriksen as a pairing again. It's too slow. I know we've got players injured, but Hannibal could've done a better job than Eriksen tonight. At least with him we'd get some unpredictability. We have to try something different instead of just throwing them on together and seeing the same shit again and again.

Rashford and Bruno were bad. Reguilon, Hojlund and somehow Martial were good. Onana made a howler. McT is lazy. The rest were so so. The penalty decision was atrocious. The scoreline both flattered us and reflected how close the game was for periods of time. We can beat these lot at home provided EtH actually sorts our glaring issues and we get some players back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Annoying to lose to a shit ref decision and a keeper howler...

But then I feel like Bayern could have got more goals if they wanted to

MyBloodIsRed

How badly do we need Varane and Amrabat in the squad? Hope when they come back they can stay fit for extended period... we looked knackered at the end and had no subs to come on

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Bayern Munich 3:0 Man Utd
  • 10% Bayern Munich 3:1 Man Utd