FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Blackburn Rovers 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 February 2017

Shiva87

Do we have that though? Our best striker is 36 year old and we can barely afford resting him. Same thing about our DM (Carrick is our best option). Meanwhile our best defenders are Bailly whom, despite his inexperience, he was able to easily brush off competition quite easily and a makeshift winger.
Yes we do. Squad wise - we are very strong. Its getting the best out of the squad that's been hard and Mourinho has been working on that for a while. I don't see why you are so worried after the results we've had since November. It was always going to take 3-4 months for the squad to get stripped off the LVG brainwash.

Zlatan is among some of the best strikers of all time, and at 36 - he is still better than many 28 year olds! His body is holding up - and everyone at the club knows it is a short term fix. Next summer, he will be gone and we'll have two options - Promote Rashford/ Martial or buy big. (I imagine it will be the latter). Till then - I don't see a problem with playing him and keeping Rash as back-up. At least Rashford will get opportunities in his preferred position on days like yesterday.

Carrick hasn't been starting in the last 2-3 premier league games. Granted - If Jose wants to play 4-2-3-1 in big games - he may need a stronger (Matic/Kante) type DM instead of Ander. But Ander has been playing very well this season. Carrick in big games also goes AWOL coz teams have figured that he struggles under the press.

Bailly has the ability to be one of the top defenders. Jones and Rojo have had very good seasons so far. Its only Smalling who was underperforming, and he is coming around now. Valencia is dominating right back and all we need there is a back-up (which TFM + Darmian can do well). LB is the biggest problem area in our squad, and that's not a bad position to be in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yes we do. Squad wise - we are very strong. Its getting the best out of the squad that's been hard and Mourinho has been working on that for a while. I don't see why you are so worried after the results we've had since November. It was always going to take 3-4 months for the squad to get stripped off the LVG brainwash.

Zlatan is among some of the best strikers of all time, and at 36 - he is still better than many 28 year olds! His body is holding up - and everyone at the club knows it is a short term fix. Next summer, he will be gone and we'll have two options - Promote Rashford/ Martial or buy big. (I imagine it will be the latter). Till then - I don't see a problem with playing him and keeping Rash as back-up. At least Rashford will get opportunities in his preferred position on days like yesterday.

Carrick hasn't been starting in the last 2-3 premier league games. Granted - If Jose wants to play 4-2-3-1 in big games - he may need a stronger (Matic/Kante) type DM instead of Ander. But Ander has been playing very well this season. Carrick in big games also goes AWOL coz teams have figured that he struggles under the press.

Bailly has the ability to be one of the top defenders. Jones and Rojo have had very good seasons so far. Its only Smalling who was underperforming, and he is coming around now. Valencia is dominating right back and all we need there is a back-up (which TFM + Darmian can do well). LB is the biggest problem area in our squad, and that's not a bad position to be in.
With all the names we've got, more then 1/2 of our EPL goals and nearly 1/3 of the EPL assists came from the same 2 players. If you divide Mou's man with the rest then the slice grow bigger and more damning. We'll being carried by the same people time and time again, some of whom are old, very old. Meanwhile Bailly beat opposition with such easiness that's its almost ridiculous especially considering the hype around our CBs.

For 3 years we barely challenged for the EPL and that despite our star studded team filled with internationals, new Duncan Edwards, white Peles etc. SAF used to say one thing. The league table doesn't lie. We deserve to be were we ended and we ended there because we're not good enough

Acole9

Outstanding
Bit of a worrying start but the substitutes come on to save the day. Blackburn played well, don't know how they are where they are.

SalfordRed1960

Anyone know the United fan that got kicked out the blackburn home end. Looked like he took a good few punches once the stewards had hold of him. Seems he had an 8 year old with him.

Shiva87

With all the names we've got, more then 1/2 of our EPL goals and nearly 1/3 of the EPL assists came from the same 2 players. If you divide Mou's man with the rest then the slice grow bigger and more damning. We'll being carried by the same people time and time again, some of whom are old, very old. Meanwhile Bailly beat opposition with such easiness that's its almost ridiculous especially considering the hype around our CBs.
And those two players are a permanent part of a 5 member attack! It's not obscene that they are responsible for 50 percent of the goals. One of them is the focus of our entire attack.

Bailly was bought because he is better than what we had. If that was not the case, we should'nt have bought him. Don't see why that's bothering you so much.

Our squad needs 2-3 additions in the summer, including a replacement for Carrick and Zlatan. That's obvious. For the here and now - it's much better than what we had last season!

The league table at the end of season doesn't lie. We are not there yet. We are not that far away from 2nd spot, and we're playing well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
And those two players are a permanent part of a 5 member attack! It's not obscene that they are responsible for 50 percent of the goals. One of them is the focus of our entire attack.

Bailly was bought because he is better than what we had. If that was not the case, we should'nt have bought him. Don't see why that's bothering you so much.

Our squad needs 2-3 additions in the summer, including a replacement for Carrick and Zlatan. That's obvious. For the here and now - it's much better than what we had last season!

The league table at the end of season doesn't lie. We are not there yet. We are not that far away from 2nd spot, and we're playing well.
Its is, especially since one of them is 36 years old. He shouldn't be playing as many games as he does, especially since we've got the amazing Rashford and the white Pele around.

In my opinion the biggest challenge United face at the moment is to get rid of the dead wood. We've got too many players, on ridiculous salary, whose here not because of their performance but because of hype or simply because we can't get rid off. We've got other players who are simply too broken to rely on.

A clear out is needed. It will free spaces to new players, it would also free salary to our team and hopefully give youths a chance

marlowe78

People are going to get on me, but I think this was pathetic from us. I actually delayed posting here because I thought I might be overreacting but two days later I am feeling pretty much the same way. I'm not trying in any way to diminish the goals (Mikhitaryan, Rashford, Pogba, and Ibra were all superb in creating them), it's how lackluster the starting XI was that got on my nerves.

In the last few minutes of the first half, I asked someone I was watching the game with where all of this 'depth' is that people keep going on about. We have players in the squad with a lot of career minutes and who have won things but their current quality is another matter. Against a Championship side - and a very poor one - I could count about 3 players (Mikhitaryan, Rashford, and Herrera) who I thought acquitted themselves and even then, that's being generous. I rate our overall performance as a 4 out of 10 and would give the squad element maybe a 1 or 2.

The shocking thing is that the squadies are themselves backing up players whom we think aren't of the right quality. And these backups themselves offer no alternatives to the regulars, they are just kind of 'there,' names on a roster sheet. Like was mentioned in this thread, these players are getting paid serious money while offering little or nothing at all to the team.

So many poor performances and sub-par players. Where do we start?

Martial - I feel he should be nailed on for the starting XI but a disgusting performance from him. Showed absolutely no interest in a game that he should dominate. What was he playing at?

Smalling - had a good aerial game but keeps betraying the fact that he's not as good as we think he is. Shits himself whenever the opponents have an odd-man advantage in the box. Makes the backline look chaotic whenever he's in it.

Young - has a good worth ethic, and that's about it. Actually kind of hilarious to see him trying to play Valencia's role. Has no business playing FB for a full game.

Darmian - I'm now sold on the idea that reincarnation exists and dogshit can be brought back in the guise of a footballer. Not even worth the ink needed to write him into the lineup sheet. Can't believe I had hopes he'd take the RB position from Valencia.

Carrick - will always be one of my all-time favorite United players. Time is up for him, though. Drifts in and out of games, struggles against the better teams. His game is becoming restricted to spraying passes onto the wings a la Rooney.

A few of you might remember when we poked fun at Chelsea after they brought on their big names to beat our reserve players in the League Cup during SAF's last season. Well, this weekend we had to bring on over a 100 million in talent to beat Blackburn, which IMO deserves just as much ridicule. It looks like another clear-out is coming, but you wonder how much of one because we're targeting Grease Man for another 100 million. With Jose rightfully wanting to play rough in selling our players, my guess is that we'll be stuck with a few of these until their contracts expire.

I'll end with some positives. We came from behind, which is encouraging. Pogba showed us another glimpse of the player he can be. I liked Rashford's performance, thought he was energetic and took his chance superbly. And we're through to the next round. Chelsea away...*pulls J&B out of desk drawer*

Last edited:

Jaxdan

I was actually surprised Mikhitaryan was voted MOTM. I'm a fan of his, and yes I see a very bright future for him at United, but other than the great pass for the assist, I saw too many poor touches, lose passes and giveaways from him. Maybe I'm watching a different game. For me it was Ibra, because the moment he and Pogba came on it was like flipping a switch. The choppiness went away, and we were then in control of the match. Bright side lately has been Pogba's performances also. He is definitely upping his game.

roseguy64

A quick thought regarding people decrying the quality in the squad and how we struggled to beat Blackburn.

Let's see the lineup against Blackburn, then Wigan and then Reading:

Smalling, Rojo, Romero and Martial have started all of them. Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Mata, Carrick, Fellaini and Young have started two of the fixtures. That's 10 players right there who've been involved in the majority of the matches in the FA Cup. All of the fixtures have been against Championship sides.

So the players who whipped Reading and Wigan are now rubbish cause we needed Pogba and Zlatan to save the day despite the previous two games.

Jaxdan

The players aren't rubbish. We have a deep squad and I was very happy when the starting XI was announced. But their play wasn't as I would expect from them. It happens, we won, and we move on.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
A quick thought regarding people decrying the quality in the squad and how we struggled to beat Blackburn.

Let's see the lineup against Blackburn, then Wigan and then Reading:

Smalling, Rojo, Romero and Martial have started all of them. Mkhitaryan, Rashford, Mata, Carrick, Fellaini and Young have started two of the fixtures. That's 10 players right there who've been involved in the majority of the matches in the FA Cup. All of the fixtures have been against Championship sides.

So the players who whipped Reading and Wigan are now rubbish cause we needed Pogba and Zlatan to save the day despite the previous two games.
Also, major factor: Blackburn was an away game.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Blackburn win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Blackburn 0:2 Man Utd
  • 22% Blackburn 0:3 Man Utd