PL W FA Premier League

Bournemouth 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 03 November 2018

Thought we deserved the win overall & Sanchez played very well today- hope his form continues as he had quality & tenacity today

They were saying on the commentary he is, not sure though

Just googled and red some stories. He had a pretty rough career that seems to tough him up. Now playing for Wales under Giggsy.
Edit: Just watching his last season highlights. Impressive.

Last edited:
The player ratings in the MEN are interesting...

David De Gea

Started solidly but got lucky when he misjudged what appeared to be a harmless Adam Smith cross that rolled past the upright. 6

Ashley Young

His inconsistency continued as Bournemouth's pace breached the United full-back. Tried to gee up teammates. 3

Chris Smalling

It was the archetypal Smalling performance from the moment he haphazardly swept at thin air. Seemed as though he and Victor Lindelof spoke different languages. 4

Victor Lindelof

Looked scared on an afternoon of regression. Supposedly United's best technical player, he seemed to find spectators more often than teammates. 5

Luke Shaw

Junior Stanislas took advantage of his ball-watching to assist Callum Wilson. A shaky performance from the left-back but improved in second half. 6

Nemanja Matic

Gave the impression a deflated ball could roll past him. Has been out of sorts for months and a demotion is overdue. Could only get better in second-half. 3

Paul Pogba

Beckoned teammates to press but was short of volunteers. Ineffective on the ball at times and not as energetic as he could have been. 6

Fred

Pep Guardiola cannot have seriously considered signing him, could he? The £52million misfit is still yet to produce an acceptable performance. This was his poorest. 1

Juan Mata

Caught out for Wilson's goal by ball-watching. Far too pedestrian with the ball in attack as Bournemouth overwhelmed United at the opposite end. 3

Anthony Martial

Made it five Premier League goals in four in the only saving grace of United's horrendous half of football. 6

Alexis Sanchez

Salvaged a woeful first-half by creating Martial's equaliser. Was a downgrade on Marcus Rashford and Mourinho may recall Romelu Lukaku once he regains fitness. 5

Subs

Ander Herrera

Improved United. 7

Marcus Rashford

Atoned with his goal. Improved United. 7

Jesse Lingard

Wasted a great chance. 5
That Fred rating WTH, 3 would be fairer. MEN likely only watch 1st half highlights -- Fred's good plays are not included I assume.

Fair enough with the rest.

That Fred rating WTH, 3 would be fairer. MEN likely only watch 1st half highlights -- Fred's good plays are not included I assume.

Fair enough with the rest.
I thought Fred played well, but our back line isn't good enough to indulge a Fred-like player. We need two of Herrera, Fellaini, and Matic in our midfield to produce anything close to defensive stability, it seems.

Funny how little credit Pogba gets but when he makes a mistake it’s all highlighted. He’s the one player we probably would be lost without.

Seriously we need lighten his defensive workload it’s like using a Bentley to ferry firewood

Only saw the second half but Man. United were actually on top I thought, looked far more likely to score. Only heard the first 20 minutes on the radio.

Important win but you lot need to come much quicker out of the blocks with Juve and Man. City your next two.

Yup but starting slow has been a consistent pattern this year sadly

I think we should play Alexis as Number9 if we want to get the best out of him !! Chile did that, Arsenal did that and both benfited from that.

Bit on Fred is disgusting.
'Disgusting' has to be the most annoyingly overused word on this forum. Disgusting is what happened at the KSA Embassy in Istanbul or the words that come out of the mouths of the likes of Trump, Ford, Bolsonaro and Johnson. It's not really an apt word to describe a player rating.

'Disgusting' has to be the most annoyingly overused word on this forum. Disgusting is what happened at the KSA Embassy in Istanbul or the words that come out of the mouths of the likes of Trump, Ford, Bolsonaro and Johnson. It's not really an apt word to describe a player rating.

Yes perhaps the wrong word. Couldn’t be bothered to edit it though.

This is just plain weird.

No one who started got higher than 6?
I posted the half-time ratings and some of the ratings were a lot worse. They certainly seem to have a bee in their bonnet over Smalling. They really do not like him and there definitely seems to be a difference of opinion over Fred.

Watched the second half again. Wow Pogba was immense. He spearheaded and bulldozed every attack of ours. As a team if you ever have a player like that on your team it pulls something out of you that you never thought you had. Sheer will power

I wouldn't take the MEN ratings seriously

They've had agendas against certain players down the years and continue to do so

Looks like they've just plucked some random off on here to do the ratings :lol:

(no offence lads:))

Nothing I saw made me think we can break into the top four. Horrendous first half: we could have been three down. Pogba this world-class player who thinks he can walk back into the Juve side was outplayed by an almost unknown kid. He wasn't much better in the second half. Fred: utter rubbish. Matic: poor. Our midfield is a joke compared with the sides at the top of the PL let alone in Europe. As for the defence: when is the club going to wake up and realise Young and Smalling are not defenders or any quality? For the umpteenth time we hd very little width or pace. No one was truly outstanding but there were some positives: there were glimpses of Alexis Sanchez (rather than his brother Albert who I fear we signed!!), Martial scored again (although I thought he disappeared for long periods of the game) and Lindelof was pretty good again. We created som good chances (with woeful finishing) Man of match probably Shaw

Watching that Brooks kid there on MOTD, looks like a talent. Apparently a United supporter growing up even though he was in the Citeh academy.
I agree, I'd take a punt and buy before he becomes well known and expensive.

I did enjoy the 2nd half of Sanchez down the centre, with Martial and Rashford as the inside forwards. It brought fluidity and movement that Bournemouth could not handle. I'd like to see this as the template going forward

I did enjoy the 2nd half of Sanchez down the centre, with Martial and Rashford as the inside forwards. It brought fluidity and movement that Bournemouth could not handle. I'd like to see this as the template going forward
Yea, watched the match again on MUTV this morning. Always looks different in the cold light of day.

Actually the first 8 minutes or so was not too bad. Then BM really got a grip. They played brilliant; looking back, United did really well to beat them. And you are right about the second half. The forward line is stuttering into life like an engine revived after a long lay-up.

Slowly (too slowly I know), you can see a team emerging. Martial, Mata, maybe Fred. PP. Rashford and Sanchez. The defence we all know, needs work. Watched Arse and Pool yesterday- only for Van Dijk it was a mauling.

Yea, watched the match again on MUTV this morning. Always looks different in the cold light of day.

Actually the first 8 minutes or so was not too bad. Then BM really got a grip. They played brilliant; looking back, United did really well to beat them. And you are right about the second half. The forward line is stuttering into life like an engine revived after a long lay-up.

Slowly (too slowly I know), you can see a team emerging. Martial, Mata, maybe Fred. PP. Rashford and Sanchez. The defence we all know, needs work. Watched Arse and Pool yesterday- only for Van Dijk it was a mauling.

Agree with this.

As bad as Matic was for the majority of the match, Once Herrera came on he actually played much better.

Go back and watch the last fifteen minutes and see how much better he was with his movement, interceptions and passing.

As bad as Matic was for the majority of the match, Once Herrera came on he actually played much better.

Go back and watch the last fifteen minutes and see how much better he was with his movement, interceptions and passing.

I think Herrera's introduction brought a more dynamic element to our play, and I feel that with Fred alongside Herrera our whole game would benefit greatly, actually attacking teams with pace. Matic is more controlled, and would probably be better suited to European games, but rest him for Prem games. Another element with Herrera and Fred could be a possible pressing game, both players can and will put opponents under pressure, but it would have to be a concerted team effort with the strikers and other midfield partners. The problem to me is still the balance in defence, would love to see Dalot play, when fit, and I have always been a fan of Baillie, but seems out of favour at the moment. I feel that we would still give goals away, whatever back four we play, but our attacking would be so much stronger, and sustained.

Funny how little credit Pogba gets but when he makes a mistake it’s all highlighted. He’s the one player we probably would be lost without.

Seriously we need lighten his defensive workload it’s like using a Bentley to ferry firewood
Fair comment. But there are 'buts'. I suspect that for the last 12 months there has been a 'storming and norming' thing happening between Mou and PP. Lately (after a very difficult patch) they seemed to have settled on a balance in which PP does a bit more defensively and positionally (fair enough), and he gets some time as an attacking player. Paul will have learnt from this. His stint as captain, as a DM, etc., all this seems to be part of Mourhino's approach to developing what was a very selfish egocentric personality into a more rounded team player, who better understands his own role and that of others.

I must have seen this game different than others. Bournemouth should have blown us away in first half, and we would not be even talking about a comeback then.

We are far too shaky in defence, and Matic is not playing up to standard. Maybe a 4-2-4 might suit us better, with a more tight midfield and someone helping Matic or someone in his place.

Fair comments from everyone on the panel. This team is made for an attacking football under the right guidance just need someone who knows their trade when it comes to coaching an attacking unit and can instill confidence to go out and beat any team out there by taking the game to the opposition.

I must have seen this game different than others. Bournemouth should have blown us away in first half, and we would not be even talking about a comeback then.
True, we did well in the second half but there’s no getting away from the fact that we had a massive slice of luck to still be in this game after the break.

Good result in the end. But aside from some stuff in the second half, it was pretty poor viewing as we've come to expect. First half was dire aside from the equaliser. Bournemouth played some great stuff, especially when considering the players at their disposal. Howe is definitely a good manager.

Fred was decent in the first half but his silly dive near the end of the half was the shits. Honestly can't be fcuked with players like that wearing our shirt. It's embarrassing.

Herrera played well when he came on I have to say, unlucky not to score with his effort from the edge of the box.

Rashford got the winner obviously but was pretty poor all in all. Hopefully kicks on from here.

Can't say anything has really changed with regards to the situation the clubs in. Team still looks poorly coached/drilled and we're winning matches in spite of that.

Just seen the match on catch up. You can see the shoots of recovery slowly emerging. I just hope they can maintain it and not revert to type the next 2 big games coming up.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 374 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd