PL D FA Premier League

Bournemouth 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 13 April 2024

justsomebloke

Full backs being compact is not a problem, Evra always used to tuck in. If you're not sure leave the space on the outside not the inside.
Generally speaking, arguably so. But again - once Dalot pushes out, Kambwala has to follow. Also, you don't really see a lot of those huge, open vistas down the flank when other teams are playing. Also, you can be as compact as you want, but the back four still needs to shift sideways more than they did when the ball goes out on the flank. Also, our extreme compactness in our own third clearly has quite a lot to do with the absurd number of shots we are allowing. But by now I'm well into several other issues. :)

Melville Red

Play like that against Coventry and we will lose.
Then will Ineos take action so come summer they can appoint someone straight away after the final game of the season, honestly I don’t know what to expect when I watch this lot but consistently isn’t one of the options, well we are beginning to be consistently shit.
Why does Hag always play Rashford?

bazza3727

Højlund had a shocker today. Whoever it was here saying he can’t hold the ball up was absolutely correct today. Feel like he’s been a lot better at holding up and playing in teammates, but today he was awful.
He gets the shit kicked out of him every match because of the role he's asked to play and because refs let defenders get away with murder!!

Maticmaker

Also, our extreme compactness in our own third clearly has quite a lot to do with the absurd number of shots we are allowing.
There is no proper functioning midfield and hasn't been for some time.

This is now made worse because Casemiro is effectively playing his own game, the one he wants to play, which can be effective in odd moments, but does tend to expose Mainoo, who copes well enough for his age and experience but he needs someone to cover his back.
Also Rashford, and Garnacho, and when he's on the pitch, so does Antony, they all play their version of what they should be doing, which only includes running back and covering, when they remember, or if ETH or someone else from the sidelines reminds them. There is something of an excuse for Garnacho, because he does deliver fairly regularly, the other two don't.

At the other extreme is Rasmus, he cannot get a pass from his wing men, so strays at times all over the place looking for an opening and unfortunately when a ball is eventually played down the channels for him, he is often caught blindsided and he has come around the defender, instead of making the defender go around him. Gradually as the balls that do get delivered don't 'stick' with him, Rasmus gets even more marginalised.

It's not only annoying but also heartbreaking to watch these simple errors being replayed over and over in every game.
You begin to wonder if they do all train on the same pitch?

tomaldinho1

It also looks like no one else on his team understands what he's trying to do and what he wants.
It's no different to when guys like Cavani came, they started off making so many runs and then just kind of give up because there's nothing through the centre that's not a long ball and Hojlund has far less knowledge of where to move and how to make space than Cavani did even as an old fart. Hojlund clearly seems to me to be someone who can play off the shoulder, play on the break and will make a good poacher. He's not a hold up guy, he's not someone to drop deep or dribble. He's basically Lukaku but with hopefully a much better attitude and touch (no bad thing, he scores goals).

Wing Attack Plan R

It's no different to when guys like Cavani came, they started off making so many runs and then just kind of give up because there's nothing through the centre that's not a long ball and Hojlund has far less knowledge of where to move and how to make space than Cavani did even as an old fart. Hojlund clearly seems to me to be someone who can play off the shoulder, play on the break and will make a good poacher. He's not a hold up guy, he's not someone to drop deep or dribble. He's basically Lukaku but with hopefully a much better attitude and touch (no bad thing, he scores goals).
As much as I loath Lukaku , he was a good player. If we got a 20 year old player with a better touch, a better attitude, and Lukaku's goal scoring potential, we got a deal.

tomaldinho1

As much as I loath Lukaku , he was a good player. If we got a 20 year old player with a better touch, a better attitude, and Lukaku's goal scoring potential, we got a deal.
Agreed. Think the attitude not the ability was the main issue with him.

Gator Nate

Please god just give us some no name Spanish attacking coach who can start over next season with no European football, we have to find the joy again
Well, to be fair, no one outside the top six in La Liga have scored as many goals as we have in the EPL, but... Only three teams in all of La Liga have given up as many goals as we have.

For as bad as we are at scoring goals, we're giving up way too many. If we were keeping clean sheets, there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints about the lack of goals.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
One thing I've noticed with most of our opponents is that they look like they enjoy playing their football. Bournemouth displayed this throughout the match and every player showed enthusiasm and teamwork. Our players usually look like they just want the match to end. That's on ETH and it's why I'm surprised he has not been sacked and an interim manager is not in place. I really fear we will get to the FA final and get embarrassed by City or Chelsea.

Kaizane

One thing I've noticed with most of our opponents is that they look like they enjoy playing their football. Bournemouth displayed this throughout the match and every player showed enthusiasm and teamwork. Our players usually look like they just want the match to end. That's on ETH and it's why I'm surprised he has not been sacked and an interim manager is not in place. I really fear we will get to the FA final and get embarrassed by City or Chelsea.
I said this to my mate as we were watching. Bournemouth looked like they were having fun. I never had fun playing against far better teams, but I always had fun when I was playing for the better team.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 168 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Bournemouth 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd