PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Mon, 02 May 2022

tomaldinho1

Lovely performance albeit Brentford are safe, Ronaldo dropping off a lot with Mata, Bruno, Matic really made it easy for our midfield. We actually kept the ball.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Bittersweet. People will say it’s only Brentford but Arsenal were rubbish and we gifted them the three points.

All those completed passes :drool:

Sviken

Good performance but I'm mad that they refused to do this for the last four months.
I hope the players think this performance grants them amnesty for the absolute shit they served the whole season. ETH has to clean this whole place out and build on players that actually bothered to play football.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Maguire,Shaw,Rashford,Lingard,Sancho and Pogba are holding us back. Get rid of the lot of them. Martial as well.

So much better without them and their lack of effort.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This was probably the best we've looked all year (other than Leeds games). Bruno shouldn't play in the midfield again. He looks so much better on the wing and will score and assist more from that position. Mata in the #10 was fantastic. Why we only tend to play Mata on the wing is a huge head scratcher. He showed today that he should have been playing more this year. Great game, great result...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This was great, and I'm 100% convinced the positive atmosphere would have been there if we had the same energy without the goals.

Commentator on Sky said ETH's been talking to the players. That and the fact that the downing tools (mostly English) contingent wasnt playing was a massive boon.

Get those fecking clowns out of our club and we can start enjoying football again next season regardless of trophies.

Brentford was shit btw, it has to be said.
Really? How would he know that?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Really weird to see us play well. Like a memory of some time long ago.

MUnchies

He was waving and I hope it doesn’t mean he’s leaving. One more season please

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It’s nice when a team makes an effort.
Who knew benching downtooling thick players would elavate the performance ?

With rashford, lingard, shaw, maguire, pogba, awb in the team we're literally playing at half strength.

always_hoping

Routine win against opposition with nothing to play for much like United.

Home league season over.

Won 10
Drew 5
Lost 4
Scored 32
Conceded 22

BorisManUtd

Good win. Hopefully we get good results against Brighton and Palace and finish 6th because I'm not interested in watching us play ECL at all.

Jericho

Maguire,Shaw,Rashford,Lingard,Sancho and Pogba are holding us back. Get rid of the lot of them. Martial as well.

So much better without them and their lack of effort.
Sancho too? I thought he was ok this year. But if you’re right it would make sense to move him on while his value is still high.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Almost like some random Dutch coach asked the team to play a quick one touch possession football. Keep the ball all the times and play it from back.

It's criminal that Mata was never given a proper chance under Jose or Ole. Only LVG gave him time but he was as pragmatic as you could be.

redom

I obviously don't know anything about football because I don't understand how we can play like that after the shit we've been spoon fed for the majority of this season. It's not about the level of performance either because I know that can be attributed to the opposition or the fact we have nothing left to play for so the pressure is off but it's more the style of play and the intent we showed tonight.

There was very little dead time on the ball where players just dithered about and then played a pass that was on the whole time anyway, instead we just popped it about and kept the ball moving even when we weren't progressing and it seemed to help the players get their eye in and find a bit of rhythm and confidence in their play.

Surely that "style" is something that's worked on in practise so have we all of a sudden changed up the training drills this week to see that reflected in the game or was it simply down to the personnel, i.e. Mata, and circumstances around the game, but, again, if it's the latter then I could get my head around the players putting more effort in and producing a performance in the last home game of the season but to me that was a pretty significant departure from how we've tried to play all season so I'm left wondering... why?

Okey

Well what sorcery was that? I enjoyed every minute of the lesser seen good football. Been so long I saw us play that well for sustained periods, the whole game even. Hopefully they can finish the season like that. Can't wait for the next one already.

Banana Republic

We played as a team, played for each other, had a positive attitude, fight and drive throughout and every one of them worked hard on and off the ball.

Matic and Mata did themselves proud and had fitting performances for their last home game at OT.
We just need to find 4 or 5 new players with positive, fighting attitudes like that.

Reactions: Penna

steffyr2

Decent win well done lads.

As an aside I think its becoming obvious the camp split seems to be a Portuguese v English thing
Really weird, now that you think about it....last home game of the season and the English players don't play. I think that's a clue.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Just had a look through the individual player performances threads.

If you didn't know we.had won 3-0 you word assume it was a 1-1 or a 2--2 draw. Everyone played shite except for Mata and Matic apparently.

Rustyspider13

Really happy we got to see a comfortable performance today. Fantastic displays coupled with great farewells for Mata and Matic. Bruno played a lot more conservative today, was probably told to let Mata be the adventurous one. Worked out quite well.

But the star was Ronaldo, again. The skills, the running, the confidence in that penalty...performances like this is going to open up old wounds of seeing him leave again. He looked like he was trying to suppress tears at the end, hope he just hurt himself a little and wasn't saying goodbye.

Let's try and finish the season with 2 wins to get some positivity back at the club ahead of a major summer.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

This game showed us the biggest needs for the summer. A mobile, technical cam, a cdm, and two quality fullbacks.

Lecland07

I obviously don't know anything about football because I don't understand how we can play like that after the shit we've been spoon fed for the majority of this season. It's not about the level of performance either because I know that can be attributed to the opposition or the fact we have nothing left to play for so the pressure is off but it's more the style of play and the intent we showed tonight.

There was very little dead time on the ball where players just dithered about and then played a pass that was on the whole time anyway, instead we just popped it about and kept the ball moving even when we weren't progressing and it seemed to help the players get their eye in and find a bit of rhythm and confidence in their play.

Surely that "style" is something that's worked on in practise so have we all of a sudden changed up the training drills this week to see that reflected in the game or was it simply down to the personnel, i.e. Mata, and circumstances around the game, but, again, if it's the latter then I could get my head around the players putting more effort in and producing a performance in the last home game of the season but to me that was a pretty significant departure from how we've tried to play all season so I'm left wondering... why?
Whilst we were good, I wonder how much is to do with Brentford having nothing to play for and our team having no expectation on it. Our fight for top four was done last week, so it was only the EL to go for. Will we be able to replicate that again under different circumstances? That is a big question for next season.

Mata has barely played this season, and he was very good today. I think he made a major difference. Unfortunately, he has been wasted, particularly for these last three seasons where he has almost been frozen out. I think it points to the importance of signing someone in midfield with a heightened technical ability, which we have sorely been lacking.

OrcaFat

Is Bruno a liability in a midfield 3? A lot more control without him in there.
Yeah. Playing him wider seems a good idea because Bruno’s instinct will bring him in towards the box when the ball goes down the opposite flank and he’ll still get goals and assists from there. It leaves room for a more possession-savvy ACM (maybe Hannibal could become that guy).

MalaysianRed7

No AWB, no Maguire, no Pogba, no Rashford, no Lingard, United win excellently. Team spirit was excellent and we haven’t played football as good as this since that first half since Palace. Ronaldo is simply sensational and has to stay.

Matic and Mata, well done and farewell. Two very good servants who with better players around them, we’d have won many more trophies with.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
McT running the show, but of course that's against the rules.
Decent performances all round

edgecutter

McT running the show, but of course that's against the rules.
Decent performances all round
If you mean he wasn't as bad as he normally is I'll give you that. Running the show? Unless you mixed him up with matic

AndySmith1990

Good performance but I'm annoyed they couldn't put in the same effort when we had a chance to get 4th

Irwin99

Well that was very nice. Might be just my imagination but the team has looked a bit...happier and better lately although i'm not blind to the fact Chelsea outplayed us in the previous game. Very good tonight and a bit unlucky against Arsenal.

The passing display was very good. Nice farewells to Mata and Matic and Ronaldo was superb.

redom

Whilst we were good, I wonder how much is to do with Brentford having nothing to play for and our team having no expectation on it. Our fight for top four was done last week, so it was only the EL to go for. Will we be able to replicate that again under different circumstances? That is a big question for next season.

Mata has barely played this season, and he was very good today. I think he made a major difference. Unfortunately, he has been wasted, particularly for these last three seasons where he has almost been frozen out. I think it points to the importance of signing someone in midfield with a heightened technical ability, which we have sorely been lacking.
I get that but for me it doesn't explain why we played in the manner we did, it seemed like we had clear instructions to keep the ball moving with lots of one touch passes and rotations between the players, that's not something that's been a feature of our play regardless of the opposition and stakes. Whatever the case though I enjoyed it and would be more than happy to see it in the remaining couple of games.

Real Name

It's only Brentford and season is all but over soon but we definitely have something to work on next season. Bring on ETH!

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 211 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Brentford
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 Brentford