PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 January 2019

MrSingh2002

Here is my theory.

Dalot is a good passer but not that a good crosser. Our entire attack is from the left side. Having Dalot behind Rashford and Martial, and him link up with Matic and Pogba is a very good tactical move by Ole. Notice his pass for Rashford's goal.
Dalots a great crosser. Not sure if serious....

JK-27

3 points off 4th and 4 points off 3rd, who would have thought that 6 weeks ago? Ole's army on the march!!

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Yes! Three more pointsss! Non-stop! 4 points away from 3rd!! Chelsea and Arse finally on target!

3rd spot is alive! Save the dream! Fight for the dream!

Cockney Phil

Great game and not because I predicted the result second time on the bounce. For 65 minutes we again looked like a different side from the previous regime and Rashford’s goal again showed his class. Then they attacked us and we melted into chaos and struggled to get over the finishing line after they scored. Is that fitness or concentration, whichever we fold from that point in a game and struggle. Ole needs to build up the ability to see a game through to the end and keep the running going to the final whistle. Rashford, my MoTM, but gets angrier as his stamina runs down and he makes mistakes. I think a better sub might have been Sanchez for Rashford for the last 20 minutes and solely for the fresh legs. This game was the closest yet to a team performance than just the stars playing crazy good. Ander, Matic and Jesse played very well but often get overlooked. We will need to dig deep against Arsenal.

croadyman

Anyone know why Mata came on instead of Sanchez, is he still not 100% fit from that knock against Reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Taking the positives of today/last month, it's another win and means top.4 battle massively changed;

Then......

4. Chelsea: 17, 37, +21
5. Arsenal: 17, 34, +14
6. Manchester United: 17, 26, 0

Now...

4 Chelsea 23 14 5 4 21 47
5 Arsenal 23 13 5 5 16 44
6 Man Utd 23 13 5 5 13 44

That said, today was "ok" at best and at home vs Brighton, I was expecting a better performance (even if same/similar result).... Brighton seemed to have so much running in them? Fair play, they gave it a good do.

I thought Ole should have put subs on earlier, if only to get some fresh legs on. With Arsenal game coming up, thought he might have put Sanchez on for Rashford (moved Martial to centre forward) and/or Fred on for Matic (told Herrera to sit).

heyho, glass half-ful, three points and we move on after win No.7 or.......

(If anyone is techy minded, change the heads for Ole, Dave, Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Lindelof....... but leave Yul. no-one replaces Yul Brynner :nono:)

Eddy_JukeZ

Good win again.

Played really well for 70 odd minutes. Faded at the end. Need to do a better job of closing out games.

Still think we were unlucky to not win by more though. Conceded a soft goal. Missed some good chances.

Member 113277

When Liverpool play average and win they're the champions elect.

When we do, our own fans say we're shit.

You can't win every game 4-0 and dominate for 90 minutes. Under Ferguson we had at least 100 matches just like that one against shit sides.
And Brighton are not a poor side, they are useful and awkward.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Thoughts from a Brighton fan....

A really good game, you lot are a completely different team from the one that lost to us at the Amex. I thought Herrera and Matic gave you a great platform to operate from, Rashford was brilliant while Martial caused all sorts of problems for us down the other side.

Back in the autumn when we won, you kept trying to play through the middle and as a result we never really lost our shape, yesterday your forwards pulled our back line all over the place in the first half and you should have been 3 or 4 up by half time.

You guys definitely fell back after we pulled the goal back and for the last 20-30 mins we bombarded you aerially and I think that’s your biggest weakness. In the end it could have been a draw, but you definitely deserved the win. Your new centre back, if and when you get one, needs to be able deal with the aerial threat. Having said that I thought Lindelof had a really good game, he is growing into a top defender and gets better every time he plays.

Still really pleased with the way we never gave up and it really looked like we could get another. If we continue like that we won’t have a problem this season and as your lot get used to this new high press fast movement game, you should reel in the top 4, you look a lot better than both arsenal and Chelsea at the moment. And with Kane and Son out Tottenham too.

Really looking forward to your games against City and pool - win those and who knows what you can do this season!

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its clear that the players aren't fit enough to sustain Oleball for more than 60minutes. There is a clear drop off in tempo and intensity after that point. A bit like Klopp's teams when he first got here.

Question is whether Ole can improve their fitness levels during the business-end of the season. Otherwise, we will be found out soon.

Rajma

Thoughts from a Brighton fan....

A really good game, you lot are a completely different team from the one that lost to us at the Amex. I thought Herrera and Matic gave you a great platform to operate from, Rashford was brilliant while Martial caused all sorts of problems for us down the other side.

Back in the autumn when we won, you kept trying to play through the middle and as a result we never really lost our shape, yesterday your forwards pulled our back line all over the place in the first half and you should have been 3 or 4 up by half time.

You guys definitely fell back after we pulled the goal back and for the last 20-30 mins we bombarded you aerially and I think that’s your biggest weakness. In the end it could have been a draw, but you definitely deserved the win. Your new centre back, if and when you get one, needs to be able deal with the aerial threat. Having said that I thought Lindelof had a really good game, he is growing into a top defender and gets better every time he plays.

Still really pleased with the way we never gave up and it really looked like we could get another. If we continue like that we won’t have a problem this season and as your lot get used to this new high press fast movement game, you should reel in the top 4, you look a lot better than both arsenal and Chelsea at the moment. And with Kane and Son out Tottenham too.

Really looking forward to your games against City and pool - win those and who knows what you can do this season!
Some good points, especially, around the need for us for an aerially dominant CB. People craving for Kalibouly must have missed him being a bit average on the 2nd floor, we need to look elsewhere.

Lam

Expected better from the team but happy with the points. We’ve played 7 games in 25 odd days and it is bound to have an impact.

Hopefully the team is working on fitness side. We seem to lose concentration with time- primarily because of tiredness. Thought Rashford got a bit carried away with his first half performance and became a bit selfish. Matic needs a rest. Jones and Young should be replaced during the summer.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Should have burried the chances we got. On normal day one of those shots (Lingard, Pogba, Martial) goes in and its a 3/4: 0 before BHA scores their goal.

Somebody said/wrote that new regime was not happy with players' fitness levels. Last 30 minutes last weeks and yesterday prove that claim to some degree.

rpg

We were in total control of the game until 75th min Brighton goal. After that the players looked afraid and started to clear away balls at every opportunity.
I can see Lingard is a liability in our attack but he did well in our defensive part.
Ashley Young as RB makes our team looked so pitiful on the right as he either pass back or cross into defenders.

cerdan689908

Should have burried the chances we got. On normal day one of those shots (Lingard, Pogba, Martial) goes in and its a 3/4: 0 before BHA scores their goal.

Somebody said/wrote that new regime was not happy with players' fitness levels. Last 30 minutes last weeks and yesterday prove that claim to some degree.
Was about to say more or less the same. Looked a little jaded towards the end there. All about squad rotation over the coming weeks i would have thought.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I think if we’d been more clinical with our chances we wouldn’t have gotten so tense after they scored. Really should have been out of sight before then. We’re still heading in the right direction and from what I saw yesterday, I actually think the defending has improved a tiny bit. The problem is we do still need another as Jones loses concentration too much. Anyway that’s for the summer to get a good one. We also need someone to step up who can deputise for old man Matic. He was good yesterday but getting caught out a bit defensively as time went on. He was really tiring. Don’t know who can step up for him but feel the midfield is an issue as well as injury to one of Andre. Pogba or Matic and it will be tough.
Lindelof really impressed me wow. Are we sure he can’t play as a mudfielder:wenger:
Anyway relieved to get the 3 points.

Foxbatt

Rashford is empty by the 70th mark or so. I am not blaming him as he puts in so much during his effort. Maybe Sanchez can come in around that time and he is a player who can put in a non stop running effort too. It is a team game.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 66% of 662 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 413 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw