PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2023

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I think City will shit on us bar a miracle. Our best 11 are knackered and they've got the guts of 3 starting elevens. Stranger things have happened, or have they?
You never know mate. Huge occasion - 11 men versus 11. One thing I’ve learnt in my life as a football lover is never, ever write off Manchester United.

Loon

:lol:
Do Sky always have dressing room cameras now or is it onlywhen United play grudge matches against big time after the Lord Mayor’s Show dressing room celebration Charlie’s?

croadyman

Do Sky always have dressing room cameras now or is it onlywhen United play grudge matches against big time after the Lord Mayor’s Show dressing room celebration Charlie’s?
Yeah it's sickening to say the least but don't worry we won't forget about those scenes

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Personal opinion: I am proud of Antony for standing up to Lewis Dunk. That feels like a proper Red Devil spirit. Thankful that he didn't get straight red, but considering he got away with it - well done!

NICanRed

Like most on here I was surprised that that foul was called on Shaw but really couldnt understand the yellow card. I can only presume he told Marriner a few home truths

always_hoping

Like most on here I was surprised that that foul was called on Shaw but really couldnt understand the yellow card. I can only presume he told Marriner a few home truths
Was said it was for back chat. Hopefully i don't see Marriner in charge of United match this season.

ArbeitervonWien

De Zerbi: “There is a God of football because we deserved to win in the semi-final”

I hate this pretentious fecker and his silly hedgehog head. The God of football gifted you a freekick in the dying minutes of the game and is named Andre Marriner. This is your God, Roberto, this is the one you declared as your God: Andre fecking Marriner. Are you happy now?

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Was said it was for back chat. Hopefully i don't see Marriner in charge of United match this season.
This year, more than any other I can remember, has been the worst for officiating. The standard of some of the refereeing has been abysmal - with a lot of refs repeatedly having terrible performances. Mariner is one of them. Anthony Taylor is the worst though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think City will shit on us bar a miracle. Our best 11 are knackered and they've got the guts of 3 starting elevens. Stranger things have happened, or have they?
After the west ham game we have a normal 5 games in 4 weeks. Very different from the two games every week thing we've had going on since August. Also ten hag has done well with us in the big moments, cup finals, semi finals, Barcelona tie, big games at Old Trafford. The big games away yeah we've been shit but not like they were ever all that important tbf, clearly as we are still hitting all our targets.

City are the best team around but I'd expect a fight at least and not to be hammered. Martinez a loss, but hopefully Varane is in.

Kopral Jono

De Zerbi: “There is a God of football because we deserved to win in the semi-final”

I hate this pretentious fecker and his silly hedgehog head. The God of football gifted you a freekick in the dying minutes of the game and is named Andre Marriner. This is your God, Roberto, this is the one you declared as your God: Andre fecking Marriner. Are you happy now?
I will enjoy every second of it when Brighton's honeymoon period comes to an abrupt end as players leave. The love-in has reached a nauseating crescendo.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I will enjoy every second of it when Brighton's honeymoon period comes to an abrupt end as players leave. The love-in has reached a nauseating crescendo.
Hasn’t it? Their fans are insufferable as well. Plastic club, with a plastic, fake derby as well. I hope they get absolutely pillaged over the summer.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Feels like I watched a different game from everyone. We keep blaming these sort of performances on not scoring but it’s untrue.
We have been bad in central midfield and any team confident enough to play at a slower pace by design dominates us.
Brighton played with a few changes today but it didn’t matter because our so called top players were clueless. We kept trying to make the game end to but they didn’t let it, so we basically had no reply. If our ambition is to keep scrapping for top 4 then I’m fine with this cup team approach but if we want to dominate the league again it has to be different. We can’t be spending 200m and blame lack of quality, when Brighton started with Gilmour, Enciso, Buonanotte and Caicedo at RB plus senior players like March, Gross and Veltman not starting.

I’m fine with losing but not in a clueless manner. When we lost at City I felt we played like a team working towards something and it will come good in time. Recently even when winning our games looks disjointed but hey football is all about scoring. Tiredness has nothing to do with this, we just look a team with a flawed plan.

I have no doubt we will beat City because we play cup football but come next season this is not the type of football I’d like to see us play. I trust the manager will sort it out but he has to stick to his guns and play his football, even if it costs us points. We are not blind and we will appreciate it when significant on pitch progress is being made.

TheRedHearted

Feels like I watched a different game from everyone. We keep blaming these sort of performances on not scoring but it’s untrue.
We have been bad in central midfield and any team confident enough to play at a slower pace by design dominates us.
Brighton played with a few changes today but it didn’t matter because our so called top players were clueless. We kept trying to make the game end to but they didn’t let it, so we basically had no reply. If our ambition is to keep scrapping for top 4 then I’m fine with this cup team approach but if we want to dominate the league again it has to be different. We can’t be spending 200m and blame lack of quality, when Brighton started with Gilmour, Enciso, Buonanotte and Caicedo at RB plus senior players like March, Gross and Veltman not starting.

I’m fine with losing but not in a clueless manner. When we lost at City I felt we played like a team working towards something and it will come good in time. Recently even when winning our games looks disjointed but hey football is all about scoring. Tiredness has nothing to do with this, we just look a team with a flawed plan.

I have no doubt we will beat City because we play cup football but come next season this is not the type of football I’d like to see us play. I trust the manager will sort it out but he has to stick to his guns and play his football, even if it costs us points. We are not blind and we will appreciate it when significant on pitch progress is being made.
I said for us to play with another midfielder for this game and I got laughed at. Our front three sucks besides rashford. i would rather take off an Antony or Anthony and play with another midfielder.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I said for us to play with another midfielder for this game and I got laughed at. Our front three sucks besides rashford. i would rather take off an Antony or Anthony and play with another midfielder.
The manager needs a plan to get that midfield area right, it’s embarrassing because individually they are all fine players but as a unit it gets overrun.
I don’t like my team not controlling the game and I will never accept surrendering possession is a good tactic. Top teams don’t chance it but impose themselves and we chance it in the guise of being direct.

croadyman

That's the only consolation I can think of from the shit show of reality that we are living in. If it comes to that, I expect them to at least have the firepower to push back against all this nonsense
Yeah and sod feeling it's tainted either

meamth

I don't see the link other than us never again signing anyone even close to peak van Nistelrooy, Rooney or van Persie.
It's quite bizarre. We never signed a proper, cream of the crop, high level striker since Lukaku. It feels like we given up after Lukaku's project failed.

Since then we have this habit of signing past it mercenary strikers. Quite infuriating when you think about it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I don't understand why our performances dip in second halves.
It didn't dip, we were the better side from 70 minutes til 85 minutes.

They started to dictate the last 5 minutes or so, despite that they only had two clear opportunities to score.

Hughie77

Yeah it's sickening to say the least but don't worry we won't forget about those scenes
Thats a joke that last night, you'd swear they won the world cup ffs, Sky kissed there ass all night . Fecking Redkapp tit, he sees one side every time.

Xaviboy

We just never seem to have control in midfield in our games and alot times we get cut open

Hope we get in 2 central midfielders in summer.

ArbeitervonWien

Actually I kind of liked Brighton this season. Only recently I realized what a whiney little penis De Zerbi is.

Besides that, we didn't deserve any better, failing to take any control in the second half.

moodyred

Fred has been poor for us in recent games. We should avoid using these 4 players in the run up to the end of the season.

1. Maguire
2. Fred
3. Martial
4. Weghorst

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Us or them ? We had some divers today. No doubt about that.
Brighton players were play acting all game. Mitoma dived twice for a penalty. Not to mention the horrible challenges they were putting in. Webster should've been sent off for that one on Bruno.

feck Brighton!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I hope you don’t mind, but I’m cross-posting this from the now largely dead match thread. Mods - apologies if this is against the rules and I will delete.

Just home from the match.

Good game tonight, once again very evenly matched. In first half your lads edged it and were set up beautifully to manage how we play. You weren’t drawn into the press, held a very solid shape and hit us fast and early over the top into the channels, which is the perfect way to play against us. You could tell this was designed by Ten Hag, and worked perfectly.

Antony/Mitoma very early chances aside, we bossed possession and territory as expected, but Rashford looked extremely dangerous on the break and you could’ve easily gone in 2/3-1 up at half time.

I thought we were fully on top in the second half, however. Your lads’ mentality was not right in the second half. Martial, in particular, had terrible body language and frankly looked gassed.

Two very evenly matched games considering the cup semi final, both matches could’ve gone either way, so a “win each” is about right for the par.

A quick note on the referee Mariner, who had a very poor game. We got away with several bookings (Gilmour in particular stands out), and Casemiro could’ve easily seen a second yellow card.

The one that stood out though was Antony’s hack. As a guest on your forum and a football lover I pride myself in being polite and fair, but quite how anyone could argue that wasn’t a straight red card is beyond me. It is violent conduct rather than serious foul play, and he was extremely lucky to only see a yellow.

But as I say, he was poor for both sides. The penalty (given by VAR) was pretty much indisputable.

All the best for the rest of the season guys.

- UTARetro
Great Post and can't argue with any of that. Pity so many of our fans are unable to see that ten Hag's tactical skills very nearly won us that game in the first half.

If we don't get top 4 then I hope you lot somehow get it.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 186 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd