PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

Banana Republic

A lot has been said already, but it all boils down to the same old problems.
We can’t score goals and the central midfield is soft, slow and can’t stamp their authority on a game.
ETH put McT in there with Casemiro to bolster the CM, but they were both the main reason why we lost our early domination of this match.
They we’re both next to useless.

I‘m not sure we can blame ETH for that, because he has no other options, until Amrabat and a very young and inexperienced Mainoo are available to play.

Rashford was lively and our main threat early on, but his poor decision making and zero off-the-ball effort should not be acceptable at this level.
As good as some of his early attacking play was, we are never going to win things if he’s considered one of our most important players.

Some positives in this game though.
Sergio Reguilón looked good and more positive than our other RB options.
Dalot kept Mitoma quiet for most of the game, until the last 10 minutes.
Højlund gave a good account of himself, in the circumstances. Unlucky that his goal was rightly chalked off.

I thought Eriksen was our most influential player in the first half and early in the 2nd, but as usual, he ran out of gas after about 50/60 minutes and he has zero physicality to his game.

You‘ve got to give some credit to an under strength Brighton and De Zerbi.
They didn’t panic at any stage in this game and just bided their time, until their attacking opportunities came up.
When it comes to the stats, I’m sure most of their shots on goal, came in the last 10 mins plus injury time, when the game was already won.

Banana Republic

I like Rashford a lot, but his 'fake' press needs to stop. He is beginning to look lazy up top doing that.
It’s not a fake press. it’s no pressing whatsoever.
Half heartedly, slightly moving towards a player, with no intention of getting close, putting any pressure on them, or presenting any sort of physical threat, is not pressing, fake or otherwise.
He’s a disgrace when it comes to this aspect of his performances and has been for several years now.
In the first half, Brighton players were moving and passing the ball around at the back and I lost count of how many times Rashford was literally only a few yards away and he showed no interest at all, just ignoring them and jogging slowly around.

sdb4884

We still have players here that should have been moved on; Maguire, McTominay, Martial, Lindelof & we haven't bought well, thats what it comes down to. The funds have been there at the right time it's just been squandered on the wrong players. Who's to blame for that ? ETH, Murtough?

Banana Republic

We still have players here that should have been moved on; Maguire, McTominay, Martial, Lindelof & we haven't bought well, thats what it comes down to. The funds have been there at the right time it's just been squandered on the wrong players. Who's to blame for that ? ETH, Murtough?
It’s been stated over and over.
It’s the wages these players are on, which makes it difficult to shift them.
Nobody is buying and the players won’t accept a worst deal.
We’ll be stuck with some of them until their contracts end and they can be released….for nothing !

sdb4884

It’s been stated over and over.
It’s the wages these players are on, which makes it difficult to shift them.
Nobody is buying and the players won’t accept a worst deal.
We’ll be stuck with some of them until their contracts end and they can be released….for nothing !

The team is more broken then it was under Ralf.

moodyred

The loss was down the attitude of the players. Started well and once a goal down, body language is all wrong and the attitude completely switched.

OrcaFat

EtH has his hands full, that’s for sure. This Brighton team is well drilled and filled with players who have the right attitude. We look like the polar opposite of that.

yeti

easy day for brighton. more possession more shots on target, Playing it out from the back zero pressure. Sorry but martinez and lindelof were terrible. Im going to say it... Maguire should start next game.

Redbandito

This game showed me: 1) Lindelof wasn’t up to the task. Just not good enough there. Really wish we would have signed Kim Min Jae this summer (or any of the other CB options). 2) McTominay should not play again for Man United. 3) Martial should not play again for Man United. 4) Not the best game for Licha. 5) Not sure why Dalot started over Wan Bissaka at RB today. Bad decision. 6) Love Hojlund. Is going to be a great player for United. 7) If Reguilon can bring that production from fame to game, he’s a keeper. Player of the match for me. Consistently provided width and quality service from the left…also allowed Rashford to play more through the middle. 8) Midfield was solid, not spectacular. 9) We weren’t even close to clinical. Rashford created some opportunities, but has to do better.

Cantonagotmehere

It’s not a fake press. it’s no pressing whatsoever.
Half heartedly, slightly moving towards a player, with no intention of getting close, putting any pressure on them, or presenting any sort of physical threat, is not pressing, fake or otherwise.
He’s a disgrace when it comes to this aspect of his performances and has been for several years now.
In the first half, Brighton players were moving and passing the ball around at the back and I lost count of how many times Rashford was literally only a few yards away and he showed no interest at all, just ignoring them and jogging slowly around.

Don't feel as strong as you mate, but he sure needs a wake up call.

Cantonagotmehere

This game showed me: 1) Lindelof wasn’t up to the task. Just not good enough there. Really wish we would have signed Kim Min Jae this summer (or any of the other CB options). 2) McTominay should not play again for Man United. 3) Martial should not play again for Man United. 4) Not the best game for Licha. 5) Not sure why Dalot started over Wan Bissaka at RB today. Bad decision. 6) Love Hojlund. Is going to be a great player for United. 7) If Reguilon can bring that production from fame to game, he’s a keeper. Player of the match for me. Consistently provided width and quality service from the left…also allowed Rashford to play more through the middle. 8) Midfield was solid, not spectacular. 9) We weren’t even close to clinical. Rashford created some opportunities, but has to do better.
Good post mate but I disagree with 8. Not close to enough energy and tracking back. This difference between Brighton busting a lung to get in both boxes was miles better than our middies. Love, Case but he needs some subbing. Erksen does not have the legs to be an EPL starter.

goalscholes

Look at our record with varane. Look at our record without varane.

All good other football teams have fast, strong CBs who can pass

stoinz

this loss is on ETH. Tactically set us up wrong. No width and midfield too ineffectual. I still have hope but a lot less than yesterday.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
The loss was down the attitude of the players. Started well and once a goal down, body language is all wrong and the attitude completely switched.
The chalked off goals have been like a monster body shot to the liver. They can gee themselves up but once that happens they're finished. I get it, in someway the crowd reaction was similar.

We have to score when we were on top in the first 20 minutes. That's it.

Marcus

Lindelof was really poor. Bring back Maguire for Bayern. Really.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The result was no surprise, Brighton are just a comfortably better side than us.

The team looked so weak on paper before the game.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why are we so ponderous in possession? Our players seem to walk alot or jog rather than attack the space. Very frustrating to see

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Lindelof was really poor. Bring back Maguire for Bayern. Really.
We dont have to bring Maguire to help Bayern score more goals. They are capable enough to score on their own.

Fitchett

The sooner we cash in on Rashford, the better. He is the epitome of what's wrong with our players.

Plays for himself, and has an incredibly poor tactical understanding of the game.

He is one of the top earners in the league, yet one of the worst decision makers, the laziest presser and an ego overblown to the 'nth degree.

We made him the talisman and face of our club. We get what we deserve.
Absolutely spot on!

patch1

You. could have put 11 complete strangers on the field and got a better result.
At the moment it’s like guess the professional Player on the pitch.Lazy and clueless.

Captmfla

Brighton got lucky.

Rashford actually hit the post and Hojlund's goal could have been ruled in. By then, united would be leading 2-1 and that's when Welbeck has a lucky stray pass for him to shoot.

L1nk

Make what you will of this but I thought the only bright apots were Reguilon, Hojlund and Hannibal when he came on. So you tell me what it means when players who’ve been not been at the club long or a player who has rarely ever seen first team action are better and more passionate than our seasoned well paid pro’s

Hughie77

Poor defending on all goals.... Keeper should save 2 and 3... Poor in front of goal Rashford had so many chances and fluffed them all.. only 2 angles of the ball that was out of play for Hojlund goal.. it was imo exactly like the goal given in the World cup but they had the over head camera to see that not all the ball was over the line..it took so long the goal should have been given..
Hanibal goal was cracker .. unless they start following runners from CM and not leaving the full backs isolated that's what happened for all the goals.. we're fecked .. looking at a 4 -0 v Bayern .. Kane hattrick

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Poor defending on all goals.... Keeper should save 2 and 3... Poor in front of goal Rashford had so many chances and fluffed them all.. only 2 angles of the ball that was out of play for Hojlund goal.. it was imo exactly like the goal given in the World cup but they had the over head camera to see that not all the ball was over the line..it took so long the goal should have been given..
Hanibal goal was cracker .. unless they start following runners from CM and not leaving the full backs isolated that's what happened for all the goals.. we're fecked .. looking at a 4 -0 v Bayern .. Kane hattrick
Felt exactly the same about Onana

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
People are mentioning Rashford a lot here and I pretty much agree but not sure why he was playing as a second CF rather than wide left and, to me, there's a much bigger elephant in the room: the captain!

Either we need to get Bruno playing as he did in his first six months at the club, or he shouldn't be playing at all: I have a strong feeling he is on of those players, SAFG would have taken one look at and moved him along...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
People are mentioning Rashford a lot here and I pretty much agree but not sure why he was playing as a second CF rather than wide left and, to me, there's a much bigger elephant in the room: the captain!

Either we need to get Bruno playing as he did in his first six months at the club, or he shouldn't be playing at all: I have a strong feeling he is on of those players, SAFG would have taken one look at and moved him along...
What is a SAFG?

SirScholes

Thought maybe the third but would of been a good save
No chance with the other two

The_Midfielder

Make what you will of this but I thought the only bright apots were Reguilon, Hojlund and Hannibal when he came on. So you tell me what it means when players who’ve been not been at the club long or a player who has rarely ever seen first team action are better and more passionate than our seasoned well paid pro’s
Dalot was good too..handled Mitoma well..
Out problem is the midfield..
We have Casemiro and Erikson..
We need mobile players..
Is Arambat mobile ?

Banana Republic

People wondering why AWB didn’t start (apparently he’d been ill in the week or something?), but Dalot almost completely nullified Mitoma for most of the match.
It was only when AWB came on and Dalot moved over to LB that Mitoma paused any serious threat.

Apart from not being able to finish our chances and the criticism around Rashford’s poor decision making and off the ball effort, our main problems came from Casemiro and McT not holding the CM and picking up Brighton players. They looked static and lost.

Almost every other team in the PL can read us like a book.
Our MF is slow and soft and most of our players, particularly the attacking MF and forwards can’t or won’t press, can’t tackle or challenge.
We make it easy for them to play out from the back and give them the time and lack of pressure to pick their way through the lines.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's me trying to type SAF with two bandaged fingers!
Fergie would have absolutely loved Bruno. He just would have made them work together better and work harder. He wouldn't have stood for a forward not working hard AND not scoring goals though, Rashford would either be scoring or tracking back. I think Ole coached him like he was Ronaldo and it turned out he wasn't Ronaldo.

dpansheth

Professional athletes playing lazy. some popular clubs are not playing good but they dont look lazy.
our players have looked lazy from last few years, not just with ETH.

The challenge here for ETH is not only to evolve his own tactical game, but weed out this lazy attitude. That will make or break his role at United.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Fergie would have absolutely loved Bruno. He just would have made them work together better and work harder. He wouldn't have stood for a forward not working hard AND not scoring goals though, Rashford would either be scoring or tracking back. I think Ole coached him like he was Ronaldo and it turned out he wasn't Ronaldo.
Maybe - but wouldn't accept what we're seeing right now

VictoriaRed

It is quite difficult to watch us play. Was in a bad mood all of yesterday. Early in the first half Rashford had a change to slide a pass in for Rasmus for a tap in and instead went left and hit the side netting. His decision making in these situations is still shite and I'm afraid will never get better. And please don't give me the, 'well he's a striker and he's got go for goal' argument. Was so pissed when that happened. We score early, we are set.

Savlehest

Anyone know why Garnacho didn’t get more minutes? Still recovering from the angle? Or just ETH weird 5 min + extra subs?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton