PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 April 2017

mav_9me

Excellent performance. This is not the first time where we have controlled it so well. There have been so many other games where we have completely controlled the game with the opposition doing nothing. Difference was today we scored 2 goals.

ijc

As professional an away performance as you are likely to see.

Thursday is even more huge now. Realistic chance of grabbing 3rd after Liverpool lost vs Palace again.

Bailly was immense. Fellaini imperious - unsung hero.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is he calling for Smalling and Jones to play with an injury? I thought it was the physios' job to decide whether a player is fit to play or not.
Most players play through minor injuries. This is "normal" and has been mentioned by several current/former footballers.
The problem with Jones/Smalling is that they only want to play if they feel 100%. If they have a minor niggle, they'll say "injured". Jose wants to instil the winning/battling mentality into all our players. Consider this: the only way Rojo/Ibra left the pitch before the final whistle was when they suffered cruciate ligament injuries.
Against Anderlecht, Jose asked Shaw @ 90 mins, if he wanted to be subbed. Shaw said, "No!"

That's the sort of mentality which Jose demands of all his players and he is giving them the opportunity to stand up and be counted. The ball is in their court now.

The_Order

As one of Felliani's most unrepentant critics, I hope his heroics remain unsung, he seems to perform better when no one is really looking.

Fracture90

Zlatan's or Rojo's? Or Jones who gets injured regardless the manager?
Those as Bailly's and Pogba's, but you can add Zlatan there as well, never subbing off a 35 year old big, heavy guy and playing him always the entire game is virtually an invitation for the injury.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
I'd pick both for this game, Rash as a LW, and Martial as num 9 and they can change positions during the game.
Martial was given chance as centre-forward earlier this season and he was dreadful, he is much better on the left. Against Burnley he still played in a wide position but more centrally than he's used to if my memory serves me right, where he was excellent and dangerous on the counter. To play Martial in that position again on Thursday could make things difficult for City.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Dyche on St. Joey not committing a foul on Martial.

“Joey knows the game and it’s the unfortunate side of the game but he should make a foul and that kills the move,” Sean Dyche said. “If that move continues with sides of this quality then can hurt you as they did.

“I wouldn’t say it was a no-brainer, because you want your players to play in the right manner as best they can, but with his experience, usually, he would make the foul.

“It’s his honesty because he’s running shoulder to shoulder with him and I think he generally thought he could get a foot in, but by the time he probably could’ve he’s released the ball and continued the run.”

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Great away performance considering 120 minutes of football on Thursday and our injury setbacks. With Liverpool result and City loss which puts so much pressure on Pep it was a perfect weekend.

Mourinho, tactically, on point also. Closed them down with extra protection from Fellaini, managed to rest Rashford and to bring great attacking performance from Martial. The decision to put Martial, not Rooney up top was a crucial one. I was afraid before the match that he will go with Rooney but thankfully he is aware that Rooney can't lead the line any more.

Where I am most positive is the feeling that there is a good team spirit and that players seem to be fully behind Mourinho. He definitely improved discipline, dedication and determination in the team. We have a really tough run-in, but whatever happens, that alone is a good base for the future and the next season.

Robertd0803

Well that was a lot easier and more straightforward than I thought it would be. Good to see Martial and Rooney on the scoresheet, Martial in particular looked very good.

Would have thought Burnley would have been a tougher test given that they aren't safe yet.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Well done. Burnley had no Tools to put us in Trouble so we did the Minimum after the second Goal. No risks taken.

One negative for me is that I would like to see Martial, Mkhi and Rashford all together on the pitch to see what those front 3 could do if given time.
With Ibra out I guess a big Name for our attack will be a main priority in the summer but if the correct Player is not available I still believe those 3 could turn into something Special.
Mata and Lingard are good Options to have as well.

Andersons Dietician

Martial was given chance as centre-forward earlier this season and he was dreadful, he is much better on the left. Against Burnley he still played in a wide position but more centrally than he's used to if my memory serves me right, where he was excellent and dangerous on the counter. To play Martial in that position again on Thursday could make things difficult for City.
That was against Wigan and to be fair to the kid the team played as if he was 6ft5 16 stone Zlatan expecting him to hold the ball and win aerial duels.
Difference yesterday the team seemed to realise that the kid has movement so played to that instead of treating him like a lamp post.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
That's just over exaggeration. Carrick came on in the 89th minute. You really think they would've scored 2 goals just if we had put TFM in
Why not? After the first goal, the pressure would be on us and it would be nervewracking to deal with all their long balls and crosses. And, by the way, didn't United won a Champions League that way?

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Most players play through minor injuries. This is "normal" and has been mentioned by several current/former footballers.
The problem with Jones/Smalling is that they only want to play if they feel 100%. If they have a minor niggle, they'll say "injured". Jose wants to instil the winning/battling mentality into all our players. Consider this: the only way Rojo/Ibra left the pitch before the final whistle was when they suffered cruciate ligament injuries.
Against Anderlecht, Jose asked Shaw @ 90 mins, if he wanted to be subbed. Shaw said, "No!"

That's the sort of mentality which Jose demands of all his players and he is giving them the opportunity to stand up and be counted. The ball is in their court now.
Well, it didn't work out so well last time Smalling started with the minor injury of a broken toe. We got trashed by Chelsea.

efraim

Can't be accused of being a gloryhunter
What makes you say that? Any stats in support of your point?
He hasn't been playing centrally this season for a reason, Jose gave him a chance to play as the main striker one game but I don't remember against which team, but I do remember that he constantly lost possession and made wrong decisions. People on here also thought he played bad.

There's a reason why Jose puts Martial in a wide-position.

That was against Wigan and to be fair to the kid the team played as if he was 6ft5 16 stone Zlatan expecting him to hold the ball and win aerial duels.
Difference yesterday the team seemed to realise that the kid has movement so played to that instead of treating him like a lamp post.
Martial doesn't play the way Jose wants his striker to play apparently. If I recall correctly even Van Gaal moved him to the left during the season. Why he's better out wide can depend on a lot of things, maybe the tactics don't serve him right, his team-mates might over or underestimate him, maybe he's more comfortable on the left. During his time at United he's definitely been better on the left whereas Rashford is more lethal centrally.

Andersons Dietician

He hasn't been playing centrally this season for a reason, Jose gave him a chance to play as the main striker one game but I don't remember against which team, but I do remember that he constantly lost possession and made wrong decisions. People on here also thought he played bad.

There's a reason why Jose puts Martial in a wide-position.

Martial doesn't play the way Jose wants his striker to play apparently. If I recall correctly even Van Gaal moved him to the left during the season. Why he's better out wide can depend on a lot of things, maybe the tactics don't serve him right, his team-mates might over or underestimate him, maybe he's more comfortable on the left. During his time at United he's definitely been better on the left whereas Rashford is more lethal centrally.
Hmmmm thinking about their finishing Martial looks the more clinical to me and he is the more well rounded out of the two. Both kind of give you different things and neither are anything like what I would see as a Jose striker so Jose needs to change his tactics to them.

Like I said the game you're talking about is Wigan and like I said the team played him like a target man. As for LVG moving him out wide well he is a better dribbler than Rashford and Rashford seemed to settle in to LVg's wants in his system. For me Martial is the more talented player.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hmmmm thinking about their finishing Martial looks the more clinical to me and he is the more well rounded out of the two. Both kind of give you different things and neither are anything like what I would see as a Jose striker so Jose needs to change his tactics to them.

Like I said the game you're talking about is Wigan and like I said the team played him like a target man. As for LVG moving him out wide well he is a better dribbler than Rashford and Rashford seemed to settle in to LVg's wants in his system. For me Martial is the more talented player.
Martial is more comfortable with a pass to his feet rather than running for through balls. While Rashford is the other way around. Just because of that I would say Rashford should play as no 9, if they both play.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 521 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Burnley 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Burnley 1:2 Man Utd