PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 02 September 2018

Jeffthered

We played very well, I thought. Moved the ball quickly, and kept going for goals, even after the red card. Very few scares from Burnley, who didn’t really manage much. Lukaku was unplayable for long periods, got in behind their defence at least 7 times off the top of my head. Missed a pen and an open goal, could have had two more penalties as well.

Think 1st half vs Tottenham, for most of the game (and without defensive mistakes). We took 21(I think) shots (9 on goal), which should also give a good indication.

Shaw, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard, Valencia and Fellaini all had a very good game. None were poor though, so that’s maybe what I thought was the main thing to take away. We also attacked from both sides and the middle, not ‘just’ the left side.

Burnely were very poor, but could easily be because at the moment we look a completely different beast from last season.
Sounds great. I really hope we can just chill in the international break, no announcements, no press-conferences with unnecessary comments, and just go into the next game with the same, positive attitude and (seemingly) good tempo and variation to our game. I wouldn't even mind too much about the result if we could achieve that.

Handré1990

Sounds great. I really hope we can just chill in the international break, no announcements, no press-conferences with unnecessary comments, and just go into the next game with the same, positive attitude and (seemingly) good tempo and variation to our game. I wouldn't even mind too much about the result if we could achieve that.
Agreed. Thing is, I’d expect a few duds like vs Tottenham with this apparent shift in style and mentality. However, with the players we have I expect more wins than not, even while establishing a different style. I was shocked to see us keep going for a third goal after the red, something I can’t remember us doing since SAF. Very pleasing:)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That was disgraceful from Bardsley. Yes Rashford should not have reacted, but Bardsley got him sent off. Also that was at least a corner kick on Lukaku, possibly a penalty. Moss is as incompetent as you can get. Second look again it looked a penalty to me.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The fact that you feel the only way to be a 'genuine' supporter is to blindly get behind them regardless of what happens on the pitch is enough to disregard your opinion.

Everybody sees things through a different lens from everyone else and we all have genuine love for something even if we're criticising it, rightly or wrongly for perceived problems.

Some people are naturally positive, some are negative, often it's a direct result of what's going on in the rest of their lives.

But TOP REDS™ don't do that and have to tell other people how they should support the club so...
Mathern.
I have just re-read my post and nowhere do I say that Manchester United supporters should 'blindly get behind' or even tell others how to support the team.

You will have read that I said, by all means, criticise poor performance. My point is that true supporters get behind their team when things are not going well and I stand by that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yep, sure was a very good attacking performance. Much better than Spurs.

cyril C

We played very well, I thought. Moved the ball quickly, and kept going for goals, even after the red card. Very few scares from Burnley, who didn’t really manage much. Lukaku was unplayable for long periods, got in behind their defence at least 7 times off the top of my head. Missed a pen and an open goal, could have had two more penalties as well.

Think 1st half vs Tottenham, for most of the game (and without defensive mistakes). We took 21(I think) shots (9 on goal), which should also give a good indication.

Shaw, Smalling, Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard, Valencia and Fellaini all had a very good game. None were poor though, so that’s maybe what I thought was the main thing to take away. We also attacked from both sides and the middle, not ‘just’ the left side.

Burnely were very poor, but could easily be because at the moment we look a completely different beast from last season.
A few points to take away.

1. Fellaini was playing deep when defending, I saw him man-marking their striker when we were defending, then move up the field to intercept as DMF should. Do that again big man on Watford.

2. Sanchez finally was productive. There was much more passing and running from him, instead of taking on defenders every time. His 1st assist goal was the main point. Pass it, not dribble so unnecessarily. His goals will come from counter-attack, but on build up to goal, he should pass it more.

3. Pogba had plenty of long pass. Not sure this is good over the long run but at least cut out his dribble game a bit. Keeping it simple.

4. We seemed to be playing with 2x DMF but the game wasn't defensive at all. Just less fancy small pass, more long ball to the big man. Not sure this will be the main theme every time, but at least it worked well against certain types of teams.

Handré1990

1. Fellaini was playing deep when defending, I saw him man-marking their striker when we were defending, then move up the field to intercept as DMF should. Do that again big man on Watford.

2. Sanchez finally was productive. There was much more passing and running from him, instead of taking on defenders every time. His 1st assist goal was the main point. Pass it, not dribble so unnecessarily. His goals will come from counter-attack, but on build up to goal, he should pass it more.

3. Pogba had plenty of long pass. Not sure this is good over the long run but at least cut out his dribble game a bit. Keeping it simple.

4. We seemed to be playing with 2x DMF but the game wasn't defensive at all. Just less fancy small pass, more long ball to the big man. Not sure this will be the main theme every time, but at least it worked well against certain types of teams.
Mostly agree, but I think you’re way off with the bolded part. Sanchez has been productive so far this season, but far from good at the other aspects you describe. Even when people said he had a poor game vs Leicester he managed to create 4 good opportunities. He is always dangerous around the oppo box, the difference for me now, was that he wasn’t a burden for our balance and control of the game.

Decomposing In Paris

At least they talked about it. That’s an arguable opinion, Lukaku’s penalty call wasn’t.
Then why are you arguing it? Not all penalties were created equally. Salah got a pretty soft one a few weeks ago. I don't think there would have been uproar if a penalty had been given, and I think with the two incidents combined, Mee was very lucky.

Devil star

Have to remember we were playing a poor Burnley team although was nice to see a few good performances, once again Shaw putting in a good shift.

We need to start being a lot more consistent with our performances especially with big games coming up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

b20times

Hello people, I'm new to these parts, please be gentle. Great 3 points, just what the doctor ordered.

Crisis what crisis?

b20times

Shaw is like a man possessed, god bless him for his desire and drive, I think we could have seen the end of young at left back.
Thought the red card was harsh, both was handbags and both should have been yellows.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Then why are you arguing it? Not all penalties were created equally. Salah got a pretty soft one a few weeks ago. I don't think there would have been uproar if a penalty had been given, and I think with the two incidents combined, Mee was very lucky.
I’m being forced to argue with red eye balled feckers, not because the decision whether it should’ve been a pen is arguable. Can almost guarantee they’re not arguing it on other non-United football forums, minus a few.

soad

When the team deserve it, we must tell 'em. We were very good throughout the game. I see some critics again for Pogba who easily could finish the game with a goal and assist (the long pass to Lukaku who missed the one-on-one situation). He was good enough for this type of games I think.

Cantonagotmehere

G
Anyone know who was co-commentator for NBC yesterday? He was some Ex-Footballer. Anyway, my favourite moment was when Rashford was sent off and he blamed Mourinho. He said it was Jose's fault because Rashford is clearly annoyed at not getting any game time and this was his anger from the manager's treatment coming to the front. Amazing. I was just waiting to hear how Pogba's missed penalty was Jose's fault but he never got around to telling me.
Graeme Fecking Le Seaux. Fabulous anti United prick. He’s the worst.

Davs

Good performance yesterday. Very solid, we were a class above Burnley and I feel there was still room to up it a gear or two.

Like Lukaku said post match, our best performances are yet to come.

Hopefully this is the start of a great run up until Christmas.

Decomposing In Paris

I’m being forced to argue with red eye balled feckers, not because the decision whether it should’ve been a pen is arguable. Can almost guarantee they’re not arguing it on other non-United football forums, minus a few.
Well of course they're not arguing it on non-United related football forums... it had almost no impact on the whether of not we were going to win the game, only how many goals we would win by. If you are trying to say that it was 100% never a penalty, then you're entitled to that opinion. I imagine most people who watch football would agree that a penalty could have been given. Lukaku appealed for it too, so if there was no question, he should have been booked for trying to deceive the referee. Using media focus as some measurement of truth would be madness.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Finally got to see the game.

Played very well, fast passing , solid midfield and defence.

Lukaku, Shaw, Smalling and Fellaini the pick although everyone played well except Rashford who should know not to react and put us under necessary pressure which should have been a more easy and comfortable win.

Hope we play like this more often, enjoyable to watch.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We shouldn't get carried away, Burnley looked poor and disinterested (pretty much like us at Brighton), but we did play well. I know some people think Rom should have scored more but to me he was blatantly pulled back by Mee after going round Hart and would have scored if he hadn't been. I thought he looked really sharp (admittedly in the 30 minutes of highlight I saw) and Fellaini was very good too. As for Shaw, well I've been saying he didn't suddenly become a poor full back and is now showing the same form he produced (and better) prior to that horrendous injury. In fact he should have been sent off twice: that fould and the cler handball that the idiot ref missed. And Bardsley's kick out at Rashford was also a clear red. Negatives: time for Pogba to stop being a clown at penalties and the defence still looks likely to make a mistake at any moment but this was a win at a notoriously difficult place to go but we dominated completely. Watford away will be a bigger test and we will need to defend properly given they way they've started the season. I reckon Sanchez could be key: if he plays well, we should get goals...

Needham

There was a distressing sadness to the manner of Lukaku's celebrations.

Lee Voisey

Just watched the highlights on the Iplayer disgraceful behaviour from Phil Bardsley, he kicks out at Rashford then after Rashford moves his head towards him he does the same back. I can understand why Rashford was sent off but why wasn't Bardsley as well?! Never liked him always thought he was a dirty player. Consistency from referees still a big problem in this league.

Canagel

Can someone summarise what happened in the game? Unfortunately I didn't have any internet connection for 4 days and my TV wasn't working so I've only just found out the result. :lol:

Craig Ward

RE: Point 3.

Disagree. Pogba hoofing it long at every opportunity doesn't strike me as "keeping it simple" I thought Pogba was better than previous, his penalty miss atrocious but all in all he was solid. The quiet kind of performance we need from him without his showboating. He attempts so many long balls for me, needs to pick a player more.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lukaku's miss was one of those that was greatly exaggerated by most. It's probably scored about half the time? You'd want a top striker to score it more often than not, but it was at a wide angle whilst running towards the byline. Top players miss several of those each season. Hell, I think his miss under pressure from Mee was an even better chance by xG.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Away at Turf Moor can be a tricky fixture for anyone and not many teams will go and have as much dominance as we had there today.

1) Shaw looks great. I'm praying he stays fit.

2) Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingard all showing why they are getting game time and Rashford and Marital are on the bench. Great work rate and movement.

3) Fellaini played exceptionally in front of the CBs. This is why we kept him as he's the ideal man for games like this. Totally ran the midfield and frustrated Woods.

4) Rashford silly but how did Bardsley not get a red himself? Not only does he kick Rashford to the floor off the ball he then sticks his head in his face (identically to what Rashford was sent off for) and gets a yellow. One of the most bizarre bits of refereeing I've seen.

5) Jon Moss. Was awful after the above incident. Ben Mee should have been sent off for deliberately handling the ball which denied Lukaku a goal scoring opportunity 1v1 with Hart. Not only that but he failed to award a second penalty when Mee knocked Lukaku off balance as he tried to finish in an open net.

6) Mourinho. Got everything right today.
Burnley are one of the poorest teams at the moment, Watford went to there ground and smashed them and even in a must win Europa game Olympiacos held them to a draw at Turf Moor.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Not to take away your positivity about United (God knows you need it at the moment)

Just perspective that Burnley/Turf Moor atm isn't the scalp your quite describing it as

Coops73

Saw the entire game yesterday. Thought we played well, quicker, crisper passing throughout.

Shaw done well again and I thought Lingard and Sanchez had particularly good games, plenty of movement and clever passes.

But as the saying goes, one swallow doesn’t make a summer and Watford will be a completely different animal with their current form.

It’s a shame the international break came when it did, let’s hope we don’t get any bullshit or cryptic messages from the likes of Pogba or whoever to piss on our chips.

redrash

That was disgraceful from Bardsley. Yes Rashford should not have reacted, but Bardsley got him sent off. Also that was at least a corner kick on Lukaku, possibly a penalty. Moss is as incompetent as you can get. Second look again it looked a penalty to me.
was hoping to see some sort of retrospective punishment handed out to Bardsley for that kick, shitehouse

Denis' cuff

Imagine the media outrage if these incidents went in United’s favour instead of Burnley’s

Well of course they're not arguing it on non-United related football forums... it had almost no impact on the whether of not we were going to win the game, only how many goals we would win by. If you are trying to say that it was 100% never a penalty, then you're entitled to that opinion. I imagine most people who watch football would agree that a penalty could have been given. Lukaku appealed for it too, so if there was no question, he should have been booked for trying to deceive the referee. Using media focus as some measurement of truth would be madness.
You mean like the FA have always done?

Trizy

Lads anyone can tell me where can I watch the entire game online? Download maybe or something? I missed large part of the first half, if anyone can give some advice, I'd be very grateful.
Didn't see the game, but I am just pleased we won. That's how it is for now.

How did we play? An honest version please... it sounds like Luke Shaw had another influential game.
Google fullmatchesandshows, it's the first one.

Don't be fooled by the long stupid sounding name. It has all top European games both halves, highlights and Match of the Day. Somethings there are links in the comments too if the stream doesn't work. You can also watch highlights of the games but it links you to another site but it's fine. Just use adblocker.

Kostov

Google fullmatchesandshows, it's the first one.

Don't be fooled by the long stupid sounding name. It has all top European games both halves, highlights and Match of the Day. Somethings there are links in the comments too if the stream doesn't work. You can also watch highlights of the games but it links you to another site but it's fine. Just use adblocker.
I’ll try it, thanks! :smirk:

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Burnley are one of the poorest teams at the moment, Watford went to there ground and smashed them and even in a must win Europa game Olympiacos held them to a draw at Turf Moor.
They absolutely dominated Olympiakos, i saw the entire game and it should have been like 5-0 or something. Burnley are not as bad as some say, they will survive the season, just three hard games to start the season with and european games inbetween, i actually think they will beat Wolves away in the coming matchday.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 505 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Burnley 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Burnley 1:2 Man Utd