PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 April 2024

Mike Smalling

The squad is absolutely rotten to the core. New manager or not, we’re years away from being competitive again.

Redfrog

I think we will be in the Conference next season - give us the chance to be the first team to win all three European cups.

We are dreadful though, our season has been finished for a few weeks now. Is there even any point showing up for the FA Cup final?

Roll on next season.
Better than Madrid then ! :wenger:

Captmfla

It's great to see Antony scoring. Always great to hear about story of redemption from players.

BorisManUtd

Thankfully couldn't watch the game as it seems we were poor again. Not looking forward to Fa Cup final at all.

It could be that we don't win another game this season. Palace have picked up form recently and we do tend to struggle vs them, Arsenal and Newcastle are obviously difficult games and then there's Brighton away, team that beat us 4 out of 4 times in the league under ten Hag.

Red00012

Good. Saw this not long after the game… glad something done about it and well done Burnley who quickly got involved and said they’d assist with finding him and taking action.

Moron.
I enjoy the banter as much as anyone but why in the feck would you do the airplane ? He deserves everything he gets.

Maticmaker

Please explain why would ETH play both Erikson and Bruno in the same team. This sort of mid field selection will ruin Mainoo.
The lad was out of his depth trying to cover the mid-field on his own.
In the second half in particular lost count of the times Burnley, from a throw out from their keeper ran straight down the middle of the field, from box to box with only Kobbie trailing in their wake. Luckily they got ahead of themselves and couldn't find the killer pass and when they did Maguire or Onana came to the rescue.
It was a very difficult watch dreading Palace and Arsenal.

If we take all our lucky charms to Wembley with our luck in the cup up to now...who knows?

Mike Smalling

Name them. Most of these players came in during the last 2 seasons.
Ok, sure.

Players that are good, reliable and mature enough to be starters (Keep): Bruno, Martinez, Dalot.
Players that can be squad options or have potential to improve (Keep): Maguire, Mount, Mainoo, Høljund, Garnacho, Amad, Shaw, Kambwala.
Players that aren't good or reliable enough (Get rid): Onana, Wan-Bissaka, Varane, Lindelöf, Amrabat, Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominay, Martial, Rashford, Antony.

Some can be argued. You could put Mainoo as starter, Shaw as not reliable enough, McTominay as squad option, etc. But the reality is we have precious few players that should be starting games for us, and half a squad that have massive issues. And yes, many of those have come in under ETH.

miked99

Where is the midfield? Whoever is in midfield always joins in with the forwards in attack. All of them at the same time. Then the opposition gets the ball and they're running straight at our defence with our midfielders chasing back ten yards behind them.

It's just bizarre :lol:

lex talionis

There was no cohesion between the front line players, leading to very few big chances. Of all the deficiencies in our play this season, the absence of any cohesion to create chances is the primary reason why we've dropped stupid points throughout the season and barely scraped points in matches on some level we deserved to draw or lose.

Melville Red

The squad is absolutely rotten to the core. New manager or not, we’re years away from being competitive again.
Off the top of my head I would get rid of Rashford as he does stink the place out if he’s as lazy on the training ground as he is on the pitch he shouldn’t be earning a wage as a professional footballer. His attitude rubs off on others.
Who else is rotten? I’m not sure, I think Casemiro is just past it in this faster league than on the continent so I wouldn’t count him.
No one else I can think of obviously Martial but he’s off anyway, yes there are players not up to scratch in which I include Anthony but rotten? Not sure.

Mike Smalling

Off the top of my head I would get rid of Rashford as he does stink the place out if he’s as lazy on the training ground as he is on the pitch he shouldn’t be earning a wage as a professional footballer. His attitude rubs off on others.
Who else is rotten? I’m not sure, I think Casemiro is just past it in this faster league than on the continent so I wouldn’t count him.
No one else I can think of obviously Martial but he’s off anyway, yes there are players not up to scratch in which I include Anthony but rotten? Not sure.
By rotten, I don't mean that many of the individual players necessarily have bad attitudes. I mean that the quality of the squad has been allowed to reach a depressing low, where almost every player has a problem with their overall quality, their age, their fitness or indeed their attitude.

Melville Red

By rotten, I don't mean that many of the individual players necessarily have bad attitudes. I mean that the quality of the squad has been allowed to reach a depressing low, where almost every player has a problem with their overall quality, their age, their fitness or indeed their attitude.
Oh yes I agree there, well how could I not :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Ok, sure.

Players that are good, reliable and mature enough to be starters (Keep): Bruno, Martinez, Dalot.
Players that can be squad options or have potential to improve (Keep): Maguire, Mount, Mainoo, Høljund, Garnacho, Amad, Shaw, Kambwala.
Players that aren't good or reliable enough (Get rid): Onana, Wan-Bissaka, Varane, Lindelöf, Amrabat, Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominay, Martial, Rashford, Antony.

Some can be argued. You could put Mainoo as starter, Shaw as not reliable enough, McTominay as squad option, etc. But the reality is we have precious few players that should be starting games for us, and half a squad that have massive issues. And yes, many of those have come in under ETH.
Your comment was that the squad was rotten to the core, not that some players weren't reliable enough. While I generally agree with your list for the most part, the squad isn't rotten, they've just been flogged to death by a manager that doesn't know what he's doing at this level. These players are capable of playing well above their current levels but they don't stand a chance with the way they're currently being asked to play, which is beyond most of them, and almost most players on the market.

Mike Smalling

Your comment was that the squad was rotten to the core, not that some players weren't reliable enough. While I generally agree with your list for the most part, the squad isn't rotten, they've just been flogged to death by a manager that doesn't know what he's doing at this level. These players are capable of playing well above their current levels but they don't stand a chance with the way they're currently being asked to play, which is beyond most of them, and almost most players on the market.
Maybe I chose the wrong word with "rotten", but I genuinely believe the squad quality matches our league position. I have nothing against the likes of Eriksen and Casemiro, but their ability to run is far gone now, that they are barely functioning footballers. Their reputation far exceeds what they are able to do on the pitch. Then we have other players with a general lack of quality, and others with big injury problems.

Almost every single player has some big problem attached to them, and they don’t really form a cohesive unit. That’s what I meant.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe I chose the wrong word with "rotten", but I genuinely believe the squad quality matches our league position. I have nothing against the likes of Eriksen and Casemiro, but their ability to run is far gone now, that they are barely functioning footballers. Their reputation far exceeds what they are able to do on the pitch. Then we have other players with a general lack of quality, and others with big injury problems.

Almost every single player has some big problem attached to them, and they don’t really form a cohesive unit. That’s what I meant.
Eriksen should have been replaced last summer but the manager chose to jettison the GK (upgrade needed but not a priority with MC and ST more needed) so we stupidly spent £50m unwisely there, and lets not forget that someone, or multiple people at the club made that decision to rely on a man that was once pronounced dead at the side of a pitch. Casemiro on the other hand would still be playing in Spain as much as he's playing here, look at Modric and Kroos also. The league is too physical and it's not helped by the fact we play basketball instead of football.

Sometimes you have to play to your players strengths, that's the managers job. These players are comfortably top 4 quality but the brand of football we play ensures their weaknesses are exposed every single week.

Gator Nate

A game that highlights our frankenstein's monster of a squad.

We've got Bruno and Garnacho wanting to play a fast transitional game, but Mainoo and Eriksen are too young and old respectively to run up and down the pitch all day long, they need a side that has control and dominates midfield to make the most of their clever passing angles.

We've got a striker that plays high and therefore needs penalty box service, but we've got an inverted winger on one side and a goalscorer on the other, so he gets none.

We've got CBs that can probably play a safety-first high line game ok, or can defend the penalty area deep, but we're doing neither of those things.

The full back situation is like deciding between wearing two left shoes or two right shoes.

We've got a keeper who loves to play fast long passes, but our entire frontline is dreadful at holding up the ball.

We can criticise the individual players for their form and we can acknowledge the glut of injuries that has made things worse. But this is such an incompatible group of players that, however we want to play football, half the team can't manage it.

The squad is not equipped to sit deep and play counter attack, not equipped to press high and transition from the front and not equipped to control the ball and dominate. Instead we switch between doing each of these badly, and doing nothing at all.

What a shambles. I don't care which manager we have next season, the team overseeing our recruitment is 100X more important.
Perfect summation.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 162 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Burnley