PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 April 2024

Partridge

Fortunately for me, I didn't watch the game, so saves myself some mental frustration. Kept an eye on the score. Laughed at the Burnley equaliser. Moved on.

always_hoping

The goal from penalty was Burnley's first shot on target in the 2nd half and would have one more after that hmm. United in the 2nd half 8 shots on target. Lack of consistency on the hand ball rule seen again when a penalty was given against Wan Bissaka last week and not against the Burnley defender on the Antony cross today.

Fully Fledged

Imagine if Rashford had 50% of Antony’s effort.
It doesn't matter how much effort Anthony puts in, he is still not going to match Rashford's goal involvements in one of Rashford's worst seasons.

I'm not sticking up for Rashford, just saying that Anthony is not the answer.

Hoof the ball

The tragedy isn't that Burnley had as many opportunities as us in this game....

The tragedy is that Burnley created more transitional opportunities than we did, and if they weren't so bad, they'd have ended with many more overall chances than us.

We were saved by Burnley's sheer ineptitude today.

RedDevil@84

Are we having a Rashy vs Antony discussion? Battle of the shittiest??

We are stuck with both for some years.

Reiver

Why so down and angry?
It sounds like another match where we barely managed to field eleven due to the squad being the first and only one to be decimated by injury. We're lucky to have EtH because I don't know who else could have cobbled together a team that could have taken a point off Burnley at home.

cyril C

It's not but to be fair to him, he made a lot of saves and the outfield players really should have scored at least two more goals.
Culprit was Casemiro, who's high loop header back to goalie instead of clearance to the side, caused that mistake.

davidmichael

If I was an under 21’s or under 18’s player I’d be wishing ETH gone as it doesn’t seem to matter how many of them train with the first team during an injury crisis they don’t get played, it’s clear that Casemiro’s legs have gone so a home game against Burnley is a decent chance to play Louis Jackson and Amass is the best left back under the age of 21 in the country.

The biggest thing for me is that I’m never surprised when we draw at home to a relegation threatened team or lose to mid table teams, just listening to Soccer Saturday and they’re saying what we keep saying on here about our non existent and non running midfield and it being down to ETH which is right as he never addresses it or changes anything tactically other than personnel on the pitch.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's a predicament of where the manager puts the team, United don't have a foundation to comfortably win from. It's on the manager because last season that foundation was in place, especially towards the new year which was also demonstrable when the team KO Barcelona in the Europa. The regression has come down the approach to games and the instructions superseding what we are witnessing week in week out.
The main problem is trying to play a certain kind of football without the right players. ETH has to press forward with his plan even if the right players aren't yet there. He's very stubborn. But I'm not sure he's wrong.

roseguy64

Yeah and putting a shift in is nothing if your form is terrible and you can't outscore the guy with less effort who's having a horrible season.

Matriac

I'd much rather have Antony busting a gut every game, whilst not being particularly good, than Rashford mopping around all the time.
Imagine if Rashford had 50% of Antony’s effort.
You're both too easily convinced by bad faith "influencers" with an agenda.

Could Rashford have a better season, definitely. Is he being lazy? Far from it.

Read this thread:

Particularly this one and followups:

AndyMUFC

Another game closer to the end of the season. Big point for Burnley.

Lee565

Who can be surprised we drew this when only in mid week we were struggling to beat Sheffield United who get hammered by every other team in the league.

Ten hag has this amazing ability to make every side we face look far better than they really our

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We are always in trouble when we take Mainoo off. McT needed to be brought on, because we needed some goal-scoring threat, but Eriksen was absolutely useless - why not take Eriksen off, instead of taking Mainoo off?

Ten Hag keeps surprising us, not in good ways

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Given how crap this season has been, I was willing the penalty to go in so I could get my both teams to score bet cash out.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He was good i think, Garna on the other hand...
Antony was pretty good the 2nd half. That's one good half in maybe 5 months, but ETH will think he is going to score and be good from here on out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
At the end of the day, fair result. Thought we didn't play too bad but that simply is not enough. Did nothing to earn 3 points here. I'd love to know what the idea was behind the Amad and McTominay subs...
Mainoo was knackered, off the pace a bit and TBH had a poor game, Hojlund was not getting a sniff, McT coming on as a sub has worked for us before

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
ETH really doesn’t know it, his fate was settled three months ago, I’ll drive him back to Amsterdam.

He has supporters, but surely even they must have finally given up on his huge tactical deficiencies as a coach, Another £200 made by putting £20 on at 10-1 at 83 minutes standard ETH can’t hold a league, you think the bookies might have worked it by now!

I’m sure like most United fans, I’m simply oblivious to this team and coach now!
Why, he doesn't come from there

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Ah, I missed the Garnacho incident. Not surprised I didn't see it in the text commentary I was reading from the first half.
It wasn't a penalty, you'd be mighty pissed if that was given at the other end, the handball though,if that was a penalty last week then it should have been one this week

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
It doesn't matter how much effort Anthony puts in, he is still not going to match Rashford's goal involvements in one of Rashford's worst seasons.

I'm not sticking up for Rashford, just saying that Anthony is not the answer.
Pity the fans can't even make an effort to spell his name right when they're having a go

Fully Fledged

It wasn't a penalty, you'd be mighty pissed if that was given at the other end, the handball though,if that was a penalty last week then it should have been one this week
I agree with you, but was it that different to the TAA pen that was given against us?

NewGlory

Fortunately for me, I didn't watch the game, so saves myself some mental frustration. Kept an eye on the score. Laughed at the Burnley equaliser. Moved on.
Maybe you should watch the games before jumping to conclusions, next time?

It was actually an enjoyable game to watch. Way too basketball-type back-and-forth if we were still a powerhouse, but not boring at all and quite intense to watch. Considering the number of injuries, not much to blame the lads for, as a group.

As for the equalizer, legs-and-mentality-gone-Casemiro, midfielder playing a CB again, did shit the bed, bit what are you going to do about it... One of those things...

NewGlory

I don't think anyone is saying Antony is the answer, but at least he puts a shift in.
His goal was superb. The cheetah-level acceleration, staying on the feet despite the push, and managing to score a precise goal in the corner, despite being halfway through a fall - it took immense grit and a steel mentality. Much to admire with his goal.

He's not always been good, but today he showed top class, and I think he deserves a lot of credit, today.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 162 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Burnley
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley