PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 April 2024

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hopefully but we might fluke an fa cup which will be bitter sweet when it saves his job
Nah. Too many things had gone wrong. His Rockyesque type of training had destroyed the squad, his tactics are not working, many players are clearly unhappy and the results are appalling. If he survives then it would be solely because INEOS doesn't want to pay the 10m they owe him + the fee needed to get a new guy in

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I'm fed up with our inability to close out games. Time and time again we make stupid decisions.

Here's the situation, only in the PL:

Arsenal (A) 3-1 - Two goals from them 90 +6', 90 + 11' (1pt dropped)
Forest (A) 2-1 - 82nd minute goal (1pt dropped)
Fulham (H) 1-2 90 + 7' goal for Fulham, (1pt dropped)
Brentford (A) 1-1 90 +9' goal for Brentford (2pts dropped)
Chelsea (A) 4-3 90 + 10', 90 + 11' goals. The equaliser was a penalty (2pts dropped)
Liverpool (H) 2-2 84th minute penalty (2pts dropped)
Burnley (H) 1-1 87th minute penalty (2pts dropped)

Just atrocious mentality and composure when it comes to the final 10 minutes of the game and decision making in and around the box. That's 11pts dropped in the last 8 - 10 minutes of games this season. Not good enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We have a very immature front line. Our ability to convert promising situations into goals in incredibly low.

90 + 5min

For the handball decision? Because I'm not sure the Onana incident can be anything less than a penalty.

But we're relying on that to stop us from winning by a single goal against a team who are likely to get relegated. And it's not the first time. We're so shit it's unreal.
Garnacho penalty in first half? Nothing given. Handball in second half? Nothing given. I don't have any complain for Onana penalty but we could have two and nothing given.

But we do.
No we don't. To many similiar things goes unpunished in other games but not when it comes to us. We seem to be a team where referees want to make a point of. From giving ghost penalties like in games against Chelsea, Liverpool, ManCity and so on to giving red cards for dissent that they never give to other teams.

Fully Fledged

No we don't. To many similiar things goes unpunished in other games but not when it comes to us. We seem to be a team where referees want to make a point of. From giving ghost penalties like in games against Chelsea, Liverpool, ManCity and so on to giving red cards for dissent that they never give to other teams.
That's what I'm saying.

We can't have different rules when it comes to us.
This what I mean by we do.

Redstain

Onana cost us 3 points and is still MotM. That's not good.
It's a predicament of where the manager puts the team, United don't have a foundation to comfortably win from. It's on the manager because last season that foundation was in place, especially towards the new year which was also demonstrable when the team KO Barcelona in the Europa. The regression has come down the approach to games and the instructions superseding what we are witnessing week in week out.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Garnacho penalty in first half? Nothing given. Handball in second half? Nothing given. I don't have any complain for Onana penalty but we could have two and nothing given.

Ah, I missed the Garnacho incident. Not surprised I didn't see it in the text commentary I was reading from the first half.

siw2007

Poor performance. Fluffed our chances and too many mistakes. Burnley played quite well and deserved their draw, but we need to see much more quality than what we saw of United today.

90 + 5min

You say this every week. We'd be top of the league if we'd not been robbed by refs as much as you say we have been
Of course not every week. I bring it up when we lose points were I'm not happy with performance of referees and how rules are being interpreted if I see same situations being judged differently in other games.

Not top of the league. We don't actually deserve that. But we should have lot more points.

Nogbadthebad

When we kept winning games late under Sir Alex, we all knew it was not a coincedence, it was a team who played to the last breath, and trained for it, and a manager who wasn't afraid to really go for it when he had to.

Conceding late is not a coincidence or luck either.

We play so open that our players are run ragged, constant sprints to catch up with teams that walk through us. That comes at a cost, tiredness and mistakes at the end of games.

It won't change unless the manager changes it. Or we change him.

Sgreddevil

Typical performance. Tried hard to take the lead and throw away game easily and unneccesarily. We aren't going to be a top team again with Onana as our GK. You can't have a GK that brain fart almost every single game and cost you the game. Kudos to his saves today but I don't expect a world class GK to make such mistakes on regular basis.
ETH is responsible for that too. Some may claim ETH can't expect Onana to have such mistakes but it is the coach's responsibility to point out and correct such acts during trainings. If they see Onana did such reckless claiming of balls, the coach has to stamp that out and not let it be. If the GK can't follow the instructions and continue to do so, then maybe he is not meant to be the right one for us.
Casemiro also has to take the blame too. As a decorated player, I can't imagine he will choose such a cheeky header back to goal to look cool when he should just head that out of play to play safe and close out the game.
A heart surgery is required from top to bottom.

Dazzmondo

Bruno created 9 chances today, including 4 big chances. Our attackers really need to become more clinical. Hojlund is probably the most clinical, but he never seems to make the right runs or be in the right position to score. It's really crazy having one of the most creative players in the world and still scoring as few goals as we do.

GledTheRed

To think I was disappointed at missing out on the Champions league the other week.

Now we're heading for the banter league.

Fully Fledged

I know, we should be putting teams like Burnley away every week.
It's not always Burnley though. Having a player sent off for decent by 2 yellow cards in a matter of seconds wants against Burnley. The pen against Chelsea wasn't against Burnley. The pen where TAA drops his foot into AWB wasn't against Burnley.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That was a good point against Burnley. The team showed character. You have to be blind to not see the progress.

This was deeply satisfying. Bodes well for next season. Another 600m and we are going to be mint.
A Polo with a hole right in the middle.

RuudTom83

The neutral entertainers never disappoint.

Just another day at Old Trafford.

Could of been 3-0, 0-3, 3-3....settled for an end to end 1-1

I've become completely numb to it all these days.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
It's not always Burnley though. Having a player sent off for decent by 2 yellow cards in a matter of seconds wants against Burnley. The pen against Chelsea wasn't against Burnley. The pen where TAA drops his foot into AWB wasn't against Burnley.
I know they weren't against Burnley, I'm saying we should be beating teams like Burnley despite poor officiating. I'm aware we don't play teams in the bottom 3 every week. Good job really otherwise we'd be one of them.

Houdini

We have skilful but not very intelliget players. Manager should be sacked in the morning. Where are the standards?

Matriac

Now, now is when I'd say, do we do that when Rashford is in the team? I don't know because it's Burnley F.C.

andypaps28

I'm pleased that Onana has put the final nail in ETH's coffin. ETH stood by Onana early season when he was dire and made us finish bottom of the Champions league. Onana will never be a reliable Premiership keeper. There has been too many occasions where blood rushes to head and he makes terrible decisons; an absolute liability and you can see he doesn't have the trust of the team.

The only slight plus was that Rashford was injured so Garnacho had his preferred side to play on.

Personally I think ETH needs sacking before the Cup Final. This would actually show that Ratcliffe & Co are not scared to make tough decisions. Ratcliffe and company I think will prove to be useless. I hope I'm wrong but nothing I see feels me with optimism. All I see are a bunch of naive, clueless, out of touch characters very much like the old guard John Murtough and Richard Arnold. If I was as incompetent as them in my job I would have no qualms about being sacked. Depressing.

Yanited__

Yeah I don't really know anymore. It's difficult for me to get behind ETH when I can't see the direction of the side.

19th place side has more control and possession than you, it's worrying. But OK, maybe we want to be a counter attacking side? Not really good at that either, numerous times in that game we had someone like Garnacho or Antony just running up on their own without any support. Just seems to be a team that is reactive to mistakes in the game (from both sides).

The front 3 looks disjointed and lacking chemistry, which is strange cause they are all young and you would expect them to show some promise.

Didn't understand the substitutions. Right players to come on, wrong players to take off. Hojlund, not been very good past few games, would've still kept him on. I know Antony scored the goal but I still probably would've brought him off for Amad at the time. Eriksen, 32 with no future at the club is being kept on ahead of Mainoo.

Not only is the football confusing (if you can even call it football), it's a hard and boring watch. I'd be willing to thug it out with ETH if I saw something promising developing. Not seeing that and so for that reason, I'm leaning more towards a fresh start with a new manager and new core players.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's hard to see how ETH gets anything different than this from the team next season. It's probably time.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 162 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Burnley
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley