EL W Europa League Semi-final 1st Leg

Celta Vigo 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2017

Siorac

It was not typical mourinho, no. Before united mourinho's teams always played on counter attack for 90 mins defending deep without holding the ball so much in the game. Still we dint sit too deep after we scored , we holded the midfeild and countered from the midfeild.

the cynisism towards mourinho is a disgrace.
No, that's a very simplistic view of looking at things. Yesterday was also a typical Mourinho win because the team never gave the opponent any opportunities, we squeezed the life out of their game and won relatively comfortably, as comfortable as a 1-0 scoreline can be. It wasn't a backs-to-the-wall effort, no but it was still a textbook away performance.

Ixion

:lol: That Pogba rating, what game were they watching. Yes he was worse than Fellaini, Lingard, and Mkhitaryan, sure.

prtk0811

:lol: That Pogba rating, what game were they watching. Yes he was worse than Fellaini, Lingard, and Mkhitaryan, sure.
Even darmian rating is poor, he totally bossed aspas and marked him out of the game.

laughtersassassin

One of Martial or Mata should start over Lingard or Mhki for me next Thursday purely because they are better finishers.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford and Pogba were really good. Pogba actually looked like he was aware that a football game was going on for once. Baily was good too I thought.

Lingard gets on my nerves. Yes he's fast and yes if you watched a video of all his goals you'd think he was amazing, but he's actually quite useless a lot of the time. Get ball, run into blind alley, dive, repeat...do better than this please. His off the ball movement, particularly when we're breaking, is also just astonishingly stupid at times. He seems to actively run away from where the space is. Why?

Fairly certain that Blind isn't aware that you're allowed to play opposition players offside.

Mkhitaryan's foot seemed to be replaced with a large blob of jelly or something before the game, which was annoying.

Celta were decent, although I'm not sure they were European semi final decent. They didn't seem able to cope with their own pressing/high tempo tactics, which was strange. They made the game really fast right from the off, but then made it look like we were the ones forcing them to play like that.

Aspas is a talented diver. It takes skill to dive and win a freekick when the other player is the one who has the ball.

prtk0811

No, that's a very simplistic view of looking at things. Yesterday was also a typical Mourinho win because the team never gave the opponent any opportunities, we squeezed the life out of their game and won relatively comfortably, as comfortable as a 1-0 scoreline can be. It wasn't a backs-to-the-wall effort, no but it was still a textbook away performance.
No, i Disagree, the difference here is When you loose the ball, How do you win it back. A typical mourinho performance is by going reactive and scampering back to respective defensive positions deep and holding on to your position until the opponents comes at you with the ball and waiting on them to make mistakes in posession.

Our way now, is to stay high up the pitch and press the midfeild very high close the spaces in midfeild itself proactively and force the mistake in a highpress and we do not scamper back to our defensive positioning.

It was a high class posession based attacking game all over, and we should have scored 4 goals yesterday itself and buried the game and the semifinal tie in first half of first leg itself. This is our normal game against every opposition home and away, We squeeze out opponents game every time, And mourinho is a flexible manager with his tactics so sometimes according to the situation and need he goes the typical mourinho way like he did vs city, as they also hold the ball too much.

We dint stop attacking and going reactive after 1-0 , we still were creating more chances against them but could not finish.

Siorac

No, i Disagree, the difference here is When you loose the ball, How do you win it back. A typical mourinho performance is by going reactive and scampering back to respective defensive positions deep and holding on to your position until the opponents comes at you with the ball and waiting on them to make mistakes in posession.

Our way now, is to stay high up the pitch and press the midfeild very high close the spaces in midfeild itself proactively and force the mistake in a highpress and we do not scamper back to our defensive positioning.

It was a high class posession based attacking game all over, and we should have scored 4 goals yesterday itself and buried the game and the semifinal tie in first half of first leg itself. This is our normal game against every opposition home and away, We squeeze out opponents game every time, And mourinho is a flexible manager with his tactics so sometimes according to the situation and need he goes the typical mourinho way like he did vs city, as they also hold the ball too much.

We dint stop attacking and going reactive after 1-0 , we still were creating more chances against them but could not finish.
They had more of the ball though. So I'd say your analysis is a bit off right there...

prtk0811

They had more of the ball though. So I'd say your analysis is a bit off right there...
:D 4% more? does not matter, they had meaning less posession by keeping the ball deep in their area amonst their cb's. they were unsure how to attack.

prtk0811

i guess your not one of the older viewers then :P
ajax was or still is a cleaning product
There are no easy games , when it comes to a final. Ajax are a top club with a strong footballing philosophy so we better not underestimate anyone.

ice-bionic red

Very wasteful again but still a good result all in all. Concentration at OT and we should get through to the final.

marlowe78

I thought we were okay. This wasn't exactly Real Madrid we were playing against but our record in Spain has been poor, so a win in any shape or form there is great.

Was really impressed with Pogba in how he dictated the game. There were passages in the 2nd half where he didn't feature as much but he seems to be hitting some excellent form. The chances that he's created only for us to waste them is shameful.

I don't think Rashford is quite ready to lead the line on his own - but he might cement his place there next season while sharing time with a veteran striker whom we'll hopefully pick up in the transfer market. The maturity he shows is uncanny and his pace is ridiculous. It would not surprise me at all to see him leading the PL in scoring 2-3 years from now.

Some other positives:

- Herrera played entirely as a holder with very little movement forward but did well in that role. Very disciplined with his positioning and moved the ball well.

- What a purchase Romero has turned out to be! Excellent again.

- Darmian, Valencia, and Blind all had good games.

Negatives:

- Shit finishing. Alright, that's done...

- Fellaini raising my blood pressure again with a yellow in the 1st half. Does he have bets on getting sent off every game?

- I thought Bailly was dodgy. He was, as usual, very good at reading plays when the tempo is fast but looked reluctant to get at the ends of crosses or mark opponents. Celta had a couple of 2 v 1s in our penalty area that other teams could've done damage with.

- George Peppard was not in the stadium when they came out for the 2nd half.

Would've liked the tie to be finished off, but we're still in good position for the final. On a 10 scale, I'll give us a high 6-low 7.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
My gripe with him is that he keeps getting attackers on side by failing to up the line. Not the first time I notice this, yesterday he did it again once or twice.
Actually I have also noticed this too! It's shows that he probably needs a CB partner who has a big voice and a leader, maybe Erik develops into that.

Andersons Dietician

For whatever reason I really couldn't get in to the match. Had it on in the background but not sure why that was.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 56% of 683 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Celta Vigo win
  • Draw