PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 25 February 2018

jem

United started the game slowly because of the new formation which took the players some time to get adjusted to.

Conte took Hazard off because he was tired. (Probably because McTominay was hounding him the whole match).
Two things: First, I'm so jealous of people like Lukaku, people with such a casual fluency of a second language (perhaps even 3rd language in Lukaku's case;) Second, McTominay is becoming one of my favourites for his post-match interviews alone. He just stands there in cyborg-rest mode and then seemingly comes out of hibernation to answer the question, with the same lack of fuss that she shows on the field, before going back into rest mode.

ghagua

Good performance in the 2nd half after being poor first half. Not sure if going behind a goal pushed the team, but they showed that they were capable of producing a decent display and getting a result. Want the same performance if possible from the start against Liverpool and eventually City when we play them.

RAVred

Lukaku will get all the plaudits... and rightly so.

Think Matic, McTomminay and Smalling deserve praise too!
Smalling would be getting slaughtered if Morata buried the two sitters gifted to him right at the start of the game!

Jonno

Smalling would be getting slaughtered if Morata buried the two sitters gifted to him right at the start of the game!
I wouldn't call the shot where he smashed the bar a gift, that was from some superb attacking play that was almost unplayable.

Sterling Archer

Great result to come back from the goal down. Can't recall the last time we did that against one of the top teams.

Lukaku was tremendous at times. Glad to see him getting some love. If only he could get the delivery from out wide that he is providing!

Also really pleased with McTominay. He quite decent wasn't he? Looks like he has a great future ahead with us .

Klopp_De_Klown

Good second half performance.

We were a bit lucky to get the 3 points. Haven't seen replays but it looked like their goal for 2-2 should have stood.

Lukaku MOTM.
ammm no can’t agree with that on a whole. Was 100% off side pictures prove it despite all the media saying different at the time.

Good result, entertaining game. What was going on with De Gea? :lol:
I know, DDG was our worst performer on the day by far! But he is by far our best player so we have no complaints with him!

fecking awful. Was sat in the Sir Alex Stand in the gods having to pretend I was in some way alright with United scoring. Our confidence shot striker finally scores and its ruled incorrectly offside. Shambles.
Thanks for coming on and commenting, I would be sick for at least a week. I think Barca was a real kick in the teeth for your lot, more than people would of thought. Definitely more so than our game against Sevilla. And you probably exerted more energy too last Tue!

Next big test, upcoming game against Liverpool.
naaa mate, Palace even today proved they are no walk in the park. They are another Watford on their day they are trouble!

I don't understand the onside claims from Chelsea. Morata's shoulder was offside so it's the right call. Didn't they disallow Mata's goal the other week because his knee was offside?
shoulder don’t count, but luckily his hip does. It was offside and it didn’t even get a mention on MOTD2 by the pundits! But during the game and just after they were all claiming it was onside. It wasn’t in fact it’s obvious he’s off once examined objectively.

I missed the match today typical we win lol. Was it good play by us or were chelsea poor?
my main comment below.

Pogba was man of the match for me.
Not better that McTominay Valencia Matic or Lukaku and probably Lingard for the bit he was on.

Ohhh where to start!
I do not buy the, we were crap in the first half, some are saying. If I asked you Saturday, who will have more possession between United and Chelsea if they played 100 times. Most would say Chelsea. It’s just their style of play and our form right now. Then if I asked which of these teams could afford to lose this game, we nearly all answer neither. So knowing that both teams would set up to concede abd Chelsea would have slightly more ball. It should come as no surprise that Chelsea seemed to dominate the first half but really they didn’t do a lot.

They hit the bar after a minute but Sanchez should have scored and banged it first time from 8 yards out in space For some unknown reason he chose to take a touch and not hit it first time! Well we do know, he’s out of form right now but that will come! After slowly working out way into the half and starting to look dangerous they caught us on the break.

I’m sure it will be the last time that McTominay let’s his man runs off him and he doesn’t go with him. But to be honest if Willian tried that goal again he’d never score it. DDG was very bad for it, it’s the type of shot he blocks with his knee or leg nearly every game. Beaten at his near post, he will be annoyed.

Understandably we dipped and Chelsea could of got in again but fluffed up and it never materialized. Again we ground our way back into it and got our goal with some nice triangles in the tight and a lovely ball from TonyM, Lukaku did the rest!

Second half we were far more aggressive and competed better Lukaku was unlucky with a volley and was off target with a header but eventually he put in a peach of a cross that Lingard ran onto for a simple header that left courtois stranded!
Chelsea for their part had the odd skirmish at United but offered little until they were 2-1 down. DDG tried his best to gift them a goal a few times but apart from a Willian shot which for him was an easy save. Chelsea offered little. The offside was called to be a mistake at the time and it turns out it was a great call.

Lukaku was hands down MOTM. Matic and McTominay were immense. Held hazard and Willian quiet. Pogba had a solid game on the ball very little off it was to blame for the break for 0-1. But much better than he’s been of late. However he only passed to Sanchez once all game. Who himself was the opposite. Solid without the ball but inconsistent with it. Defence was good. Martial was a little like a cross between the two. But not as good on the ball or defendinG. Showed flashes but not enough.

Lingard was good as was Bailey after coming in.

They had 3 chances we had 5 had DDG been his usual self we’d not of concede the one we did! But we shaded it in a tight game!

Chairman Woodie

I missed the first half of the match because I fell asleep. But United played well in the second half. In particular Matic, McTominay and Lukaku.

Despite predicting the opposite, I was thrilled with the result. Even more so against a team United have a mixed record against.

moodyred

A really great result for a great weekend! Too bad Arsenal couldn't make it better.

Many positives. Lukaku putting the "Morata or Lukaku" debate to rest. He is an absolute monster! Matic was also key to winning this game.

There are many posters asking for better full backs. Young and Valencia will retire soon and will definitely need to be replaced. However, the inability to provide good crosses may also be down to tactical reasons. The play today was rather static and it is difficult for them to run the flanks and put in good crosses.

On McTominay, what a prospect! However, one must be careful with how we use him as he is still rather inexperience. He failed to track Willian which led to the goal.

DevilRed

Lukaku is going from strength to strength after a slight dip in form which was obviously over reported by the media.

Compared to all the other new signings such as morata, lacazette etc. he was proven to be much more prolific in front of goal and setting up team mates. Not a surprise considering he is used to Premiership football.

People tend to forget he is only 24 years of age and has plenty of improving to do. His crossing/passing is very underrated.

moodyred

Lukaku is going from strength to strength after a slight dip in form which was obviously over reported by the media.

Compared to all the other new signings such as morata, lacazette etc. he was proven to be much more prolific in front of goal and setting up team mates. Not a surprise considering he is used to Premiership football.

People tend to forget he is only 24 years of age and has plenty of improving to do. His crossing/passing is very underrated.
Van Nistelrooy from 2001 to 2006 scored 36, 44, 30, 16, 24 goals for United in all competitions. Lukaku's 21 goals is a good haul for a first season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not better that McTominay Valencia Matic or Lukaku and probably Lingard for the bit he was on.

Lukaku was hands down MOTM. Matic and McTominay were immense. Held hazard and Willian quiet. Pogba had a solid game on the ball very little off it was to blame for the break for 0-1. But much better than he’s been of late.

Lingard was good as was Bailey after coming in.
I thought Matic McTominay (goal aside) Pogba (not to blame for goal) and Matic were all quality today. Pogba looked the one most likely when he was on the ball and started to drive us forward in the game. Pogba played very well (forget price tag or any other nonsense) he was man of the match for us and Lukaku was a danger also (touch was a mixed bag though) but he provided a great out with his pace and runs. Great goal and even better assist.

Denis' cuff

I thought Matic McTominay (goal aside) Pogba (not to blame for goal) and Matic were all quality today. Pogba looked the one most likely when he was on the ball and started to drive us forward in the game. Pogba played very well (forget price tag or any other nonsense) he was man of the match for us and Lukaku was a danger also (touch was a mixed bag though) but he provided a great out with his pace and runs. Great goal and even better assist.
Aye, Rom was a bit off touch early in the game but grew into it. Lovely to hear applause ripple around the ground when he launched that lung bursting run from his own half, diagonally across the pitch to take the pressure off late on. Cool finish for his goal and cross for Jess. Seems to relish coming in from the rw. Matic looking better again with McTom at his side.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Aye, Rom was a bit off touch early in the game but grew into it. Lovely to hear applause ripple around the ground when he launched that lung bursting run from his own half, diagonally across the pitch to take the pressure off late on. Cool finish for his goal and cross for Jess. Seems to relish coming in from the rw. Matic looking better again with McTom at his side.
Thought McTominay was positionaly struggling first half but played well on the ball plus plenty endeavour. In the second half I felt he sat more closer to Matic and we benefited massively with Young and Valencia edging forward more due to this screen that choked Chelsea’s attack through the middle. Tactically astute by Jose the way we set up so credit when due.

Robertd0803

Massive result, I feared for the result after we went 1-0 down considering its been ages since we came from behind in a game like this.

Lukaku, McTominay and Matic were outstanding. Every time Matic has even a half decent game I question the wisdom in Chelsea selling him. How stupid was Bakayoko squaring up to him :lol::lol:

Pogba looked much more himself as well so thats another positive.

I can only imagine the reaction to Martial coming off for Lingard only for Jesse to score the winner. Glorious.

No idea what Chelsea are doing-not the first time this season they have appeared to be quite un-Chelsea like during games. Ill be surprised if Conte is there next season. (Ill also be surprised if he actually sees out the season.)

Less said about the bad call on the Morata offside the better, but then again its Chelsea so boo hoo.

Tingen

I don’t understand the blame on Mctominay and Pogba for the first goal. Mctominay stops his run to put Willian offside.

The fault is mainly on Valencia who is standing 2-3 meters behind the defensive line putting Willian onside - not to mention the lack of a save from DDG near the inside post.

Okey

Great character from the team to come back from behind and win. Well done to the lads! Lots of the old problems, not the most fluent performance, but boy I'll take that result every day! Same again vs Liverpool please.

Denis' cuff

Thought McTominay was positionaly struggling first half but played well on the ball plus plenty endeavour. In the second half I felt he sat more closer to Matic and we benefited massively with Young and Valencia edging forward more due to this screen that choked Chelsea’s attack through the middle. Tactically astute by Jose the way we set up so credit when due.

Re: McTom, tall order for the lad, chucked straight into a contest with a tricky/snide player. HT adjustments etc..

Thisistheone

So chuffed with that result.

Big month coming up and we needed that.

Hats off to Lukaku, Matic and McTominay.

Infra-red

So chuffed with that result.

Big month coming up and we needed that.

Hats off to Lukaku, Matic and McTominay.
Matic's best performance in months, Lukaku with possibly his best performance in a United shirt, McTominay looks like he could become a Fletcheresque big-game player and a vital three points. Good day at the office for sure. Got to get a result vs Liverpool.

Thisistheone

Matic's best performance in months, Lukaku with possibly his best performance in a United shirt, McTominay looks like he could become a Fletcheresque big-game player and a vital three points. Good day at the office for sure. Got to get a result vs Liverpool.
Agree. Said in the McTominay thread, think he is a must now for that Liverpool game. His tenacity and desire is a big plus. He can also play a bit as well.

DevilRed

Mctominay did well in the second half. Played that ball over the top to Rom which led to the goal. More of that needed if he is going to make it full time.

First half wasnt too bad but real lapse of cocentration (or lack of experience) by not tracking willian.

High hopes for the young man to replace Carrick next season. Hopefully Fellaini leaves and we bring in one more top class midfielder, but Mctominay will still get the odd game here and there.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Great character from the team to come back from behind and win. Well done to the lads! Lots of the old problems, not the most fluent performance, but boy I'll take that result every day! Same again vs Liverpool please.
It was a good result and coming from behind does show character too. While never willing too many victories for you, I am content with that one as it gives a little space between us and Chelsea for top 4. Will be a big game for both our teams at OT and I would gladly take a point in an injury free, card free game!

markelphick

I thought it was going to be one of those days but we started to pull it together eventually. Great to see Lukaku put in a better performance and Lingard he just keeps surprising me year after year! Great win!

Hasawi Red

Good 2nd half especially from Matic and Lukaku. However, the 1st half was quite bad though both in terms of shape and application.

Also, shout out to Scott McTominay as apart from his lack of tracking back for their goal was so assured and kept it simple and ticking and sometime that is a very important attribute to have especially as a 3rd midfield player.

Hope to see more of the 2nd half performances against big teams and less of the 1st going forward.

Reactions: Penna

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Thought Chelsea let Utd off the hook here. Couldn't believe how Chelsea were allowed to pass the ball around in the first half. The crowd seemed quite content with this as well. Utd seemed happy to stand off and didn't seem to have an answer to Chelsea's passing game. Chelsea took their foot off the gas in the second half until they went behind.

Well done Utd but don't read too much into the result. Chelsea switched off when they clearly had the beating of Utd.

Kapardin

Thought Chelsea let Utd off the hook here. Couldn't believe how Chelsea were allowed to pass the ball around in the first half. The crowd seemed quite content with this as well. Utd seemed happy to stand off and didn't seem to have an answer to Chelsea's passing game. Chelsea took their foot off the gas in the second half until they went behind.

Well done Utd but don't read too much into the result. Chelsea switched off when they clearly had the beating of Utd.
Conversely we played well in the second half after that equalizer late in the first half. Could read both ways.

Chelsea were the better team for about 20-25 minutes, but they were not brilliant even then. Both of us are bang average at the moment, and the less average team won, that's all.

Rajma

Difficult to explain but anyone else found yesterday's game incredible weird? Kind of felt like an anticlimax, almost like two teams weren't overly bothered by the result from the start and the game was at such slow pace. Game with no spark if you will, and two teams going through the motions. Jose and Conte laughing around too. Couldn't even get angry myself. :lol:

RedDevil@84

That run from Lukaku towards the end put a smile on my face. It is so nice to see him put that effort so late in the game.
Also Scott had an excellent match. Hazard seemed so fed up. Jose is becoming an expert in this.
Hope we can see this more.

Disappointed with Sanchez though. Expect him to do much more in such important matches.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Difficult to explain but anyone else found yesterday's game incredible weird? Kind of felt like an anticlimax, almost like two teams weren't overly bothered by the result from the start and the game was at such slow pace. Game with no spark if you will, and two teams going through the motions. Jose and Conte laughing around too. Couldn't even get angry myself. :lol:
I felt exactly the same. It was almost like nobody really cared and everybody was just waiting for a football match to break out. It just seemed to me that in the first half Utd looked perplexed at Chelsea's play and Chelsea we're perplexed at how Utd we're letting Chelsea play.

It could of course been that the respective managers had laid down very strict team orders and neither teams players had really bought into them and we're standing around waiting for something to happen.

Chelsea certainly looked as if they were waiting for something when Utd equalised.

What's all that with Jose and Conte having a laugh? I would love to know what that was about.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Fantastic result yesterday. I'm still buzzing now, superb. Conte's Chelsea were really beginning to get on my nerves as a bogey team. I was hoping for a 1-0 before hand, then at 0-1 started chewing my nails when all the 15 times they've lead, 15 times they've won stats came up. Gulp. Conceding with an hour to put it right worked in our favour. Matic, Pogba and Lukaku rightly got all the plaudits, but for me... Hazard going off and Lingard coming on resulted in a big energy switch, and great that he scored the winner. How cool in a big game like that to have the Black Panther celebration lined up!

Out of interest where did Bailey play when he came on for Sanchez?? Did we really finish with a bus parking back 5 ?!?

RedDevil@84

Yesterday was only our 2nd win in the last 15 matches overall vs Chelsea.

2nd in the last 3 so trending upward anyway
I guess Chelsea are probably the team we have struggled even in our best of forms in PL. It is a very tough match at home, away is a disaster almost always.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I guess Chelsea are probably the team we have struggled even in our best of forms in PL. It is a very tough match at home, away is a disaster almost always.
Yes, I believe they're the only team in the PL era we don't have a winning record against. The post-Abramovich is even worse.

Thankful that we have Liverpool at home as well, Anfield always gives us problems like Stamford Bridge. Certainly more confident of taking on City at Etihad than either of those other two.

Feedingseagulls

Had to miss the game. Gutted to find that the usual option for the full game after the event is not working.

Lovely result, and pleased that a number of players showed good form. It seems that Sanchez was asked to perform a specific tactical role that restricted his performance in expressive terms. The new multi-task Rooney-tool? - used to make the team better.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It certainly felt like what it was, two ex big hitters playing out for a lesser role in the table.
However, thank goodness we won that, as even a draw would have had us right in the scrap.

We have a little comfort zone over Chelsea now, but need to win the next 2.

The biggest anger I saw yesterday was a strange guy in the East 2 lobby going absolutely apesh!T at a poor server girl, and refusing to calm down for at least 10mins even when burly stewards got involved.

I wonder if anyone else who was around saw it. Most bizarre, and why they didn't kick the fool out I don't know. How much more abusive does someone need to be?

Conversely I saw them kick out two guys a row or 2 away for apparently drinking in the stand. Good spot, being right in the middle! Tough to get them out mid game though!

Klopp_De_Klown

How stupid was Bakayoko squaring up to him
was it not Rudiger?

Less said about the bad call on the Morata offside the better, but then again its Chelsea so boo hoo.
i know. They got me too. But in fact when the offside was examined properly it was actually offside. It was the right call!

I must dig up a picture. It’s clear Moratas hip is the point closest to the goal not Lindelofs foot.

Last edited:

ti vu

I don’t understand the blame on Mctominay and Pogba for the first goal. Mctominay stops his run to put Willian offside.

The fault is mainly on Valencia who is standing 2-3 meters behind the defensive line putting Willian onside - not to mention the lack of a save from DDG near the inside post.
Mctominay can still play offside while continued to track Willian run. Mctominay had shown he has the same mistake prior, so it's better to see it as issue so he can learn to iron it out.

Yes. Valencia was the most fault for the goal

For Pogba though, it's nut to criticize him. Sure he needs to improve his ability to compete aerially. However, in this instance his shoe got off. He couldn't run at any optimal speed to catch up on Chelsea fast break.

Verbalkint

Interviewer to Drinkwater: "What can you improve on?"
Drinkwater: "I think we can improve on not conceding as many goals and scoring more goals."

The intelligence of the modern footballer really does despress me sometimes.
He's attained Boring Milner levels :)

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 79% of 908 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 615 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win