g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA L FA Cup Final

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 May 2018

parkthebuslads

I'm surprised so many think we were the better team. Neither side played well, but it looked to me that they had the greater control in both halfs.

During the first they looked the more dangerous and also the more organised in defense. They were also far more composed - we must have given the ball away cheaply 6+ times.

We did improve after the break and of course dominated possession. But imo Chelsea in part allowed it and were comfortable with the game, given how little threat we posed and also given that they were causing our exposed defense problems.

rollingstoned1

Such a shit way to book end the season. Been 2 days and i still don't like the way it makes me feel. feck Mou and the players that they couldn't turn up n Saturday for the one game we had left that really mattered in the last month. Not sure I'm that arsed about who we sign in the summer TBH right now if we can't get a tune out of the present lot, it will just be more of the same and in 2 years we will be calling them deadwood and not good enough. :mad:

Craig Ward

Chelsea allowed us to attack and were confident they could defend our threat.

Chelsea were right.

We were not good enough to break them down in attack - Simple.

Likes of Sanchez, Rashford, Lingard just didn't show up. Pogba tried more 2nd half but it just didn't work.

Hazard is something else though - even been "man marked" we couldn't touch him.

The "man marked" is loose as Herrera was nowhere near him for the majority of the game

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Chelsea allowed us to attack and were confident they could defend our threat.

Chelsea were right.

We were not good enough to break them down in attack - Simple.

Likes of Sanchez, Rashford, Lingard just didn't show up. Pogba tried more 2nd half but it just didn't work.

Hazard is something else though - even been "man marked" we couldn't touch him.

The "man marked" is loose as Herrera was nowhere near him for the majority of the game
I don't think Chelsea "allowed" Utd to attach. I thought Chelsea gave the ball away far too much. Strangely Kante and Fabregas were both to blame in this regard. I thought Utd should have made more of their possession.

I nearly agree with your comments about Sanchez, Rashford and Lingard but thought Azpilequeta did a good job on Sanchez. There aren't many players that can get around him. I've seen Herrera play better and Hazard just about edged that battle. Jones seems to have a mistake in him and that was the deciding factor today. I thought he could have been sent off but apparently he made a genuine attempt to play the ball and the rules dictate he doesn't get sent off for that. What even if he has to go through the player to make that attempt? Apparently so.

It could have been very different if you had some focus in attach and Lukaku had been on the pitch from the start.

Very close and a bit harsh on Utd.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't make my mind up about where the blame lies. Maybe some on players and some on manager. My feeling is next season will be pivotal for Jose: another season without a trophy while playing dull football and i think he'll be gone. What worries me about him is that he doesn't seem to learn. Which other top teams would have the back four we had on Saturday. Yes, one or more of them sometimes has a good game and yes our defensive record looks good but al them are prone to terrible, telling mistakes. I bet at least 90% or the caf would have wanted to see Bailly in the final; I'd have been happier with Bailly and Rojo or Bailly and Lindelof (yes, I think he's better than Smalling and Jones). Would any of our midfielders get into City or Spurs' teams. You only have to look at the PL team of the year to answer that one. And people can blame Jose for this but Marital and Rashford have had very poor seasons. No width, no pace (whatever anyone says). All that said, we should have at east taken the game to extra time: poor miss from Rashford, ridiculous one from Pogba. Any of guys I played with in a league about 100 grades below the PL would have scored. Too many others were anonymous: Sanchez is the obvious one. Disappointed with Matic too - both in the final and as a whole for the season

LordSpud

Its just getting too hard to stomach now - the fact that:

A) we couldn't beat this Chelsea side that were absolutely spanked by Newcastle on the last day. All week leading up to it were all the banners on the Man United social media pages with " WE. ARE. READY." And then we barely showed up! Just really disheartening to throw it away like that.

B) I cannot get excited for next season at the moment. Last transfer window we were signing Matic, Lukaku, etc and it looked like we could be on to great things. Sure enough we were flying up until the first City game. Then it was tedious viewing about 90% of games. Clearly its going to take a proper world class signing to buck us up (which I don't think will happen).

C) Our main rivals seem to be showing no signs of slowing down. City walked the League and look set to do it next season (and many more to be honest). Meanwhile Liverpool are walking into a CL final against a team that hasn't been beat in a CL KO game since 2015.

Tough times at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The game was decided by individual effort. I think we did a very decent match, but as I said since the beggining of the season, we lack creative players.
We don't have "cerebral" players, we just have players that want to jump immediatly into the action only to get halted by lack of space (yes, I'm referring to Pogba, Alexis, etc).

We need a Deco kind of player, a guy with a brilliant decision making.

RedFish

Its just getting too hard to stomach now - the fact that:

A) we couldn't beat this Chelsea side that were absolutely spanked by Newcastle on the last day. All week leading up to it were all the banners on the Man United social media pages with " WE. ARE. READY." And then we barely showed up! Just really disheartening to throw it away like that.

B) I cannot get excited for next season at the moment. Last transfer window we were signing Matic, Lukaku, etc and it looked like we could be on to great things. Sure enough we were flying up until the first City game. Then it was tedious viewing about 90% of games. Clearly its going to take a proper world class signing to buck us up (which I don't think will happen).

C) Our main rivals seem to be showing no signs of slowing down. City walked the League and look set to do it next season (and many more to be honest). Meanwhile Liverpool are walking into a CL final against a team that hasn't been beat in a CL KO game since 2015.

Tough times at the moment
We finished 2nd.

stu_1992

I've avoided writing about this now because I was too sickened at the result. Such a disappointing end to the season, and to lose in that fashion leaves a sour taste too. A game that lacked a lot of quality on both sides, but we were particularly bad in the first half. Couldn't get going and the sloppiness that so often rears it's head was apparent once again. We didn't even get the usual wake up call once we conceded.

Second half was at least a better show of ambition, but it wasn't good enough. Not sure what the plan was for the attack in the second half. We did at least have a couple of chances and Rashford and Pogba should have done better in those moments for sure. Rashford in particular looked poor all game, and I've mentioned it a few times but it really showed that we lacked Lukaku.

Disappointing stuff, and have a summer to dwell on a loss. Hate when we don't have a game the very next week to try and bounce back. Need some exciting transfer stuff to build up hope for next season now.

AndyMUFC

It wasn't a great final to be honest, both teams were poor so it was annoying to lose to Chelsea. Was just terrible defending from Jones that separated the teams.

We were better than them but our attacking threat has let us down all season so our inability to create sums up what we drastically need to improve next year.

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 367 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Chelsea 0:2 Man Utd