PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 April 2019

purgethefallen

Not good enough. When we need to win we bring on McTominay? WHY???

We are where we are and don’t deserve the CL football next season. Season over
Because midfield was being overrun. He brought a bit of stability but unfortunately, no one else in midfield decided to play the second half.

el3mel

Because midfield was being overrun. He brought a bit of stability but unfortunately, no one else in midfield decided to play the second half.
It gave stability to midfield but isolated our only 2 forwards upfront and killed any attacking presence of us. We were never going to score with just Sanchez and Lukaku upfront and 4 midfielders behind them. It was a good sub to keep the result as it's but we didn't want that. We wanted the win.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Winning the Europa League might yet prove not to be beyond us but if the season is a blank and we finish 5th/6th missing out on CL again, I feel we have made some progress after the final dog days of Wenger - I'm looking on the bright side
:lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watching the highlights back for the first time today, and talk about fine margins.

Bailly heads in, rather than an inch or 2 wide, and making better use of a lot of other situations, plus obviously De Gea not making two huge errors in the mishandle, and then woeful positioning straight after, and we all feel a lot better about things.

reddevil80

Only watched first half and caught very few snippets of 2nd half. I thought it was a marked improvement throughout the 1st half and I marked them from that half alone. I have to say that we are enormous in marketing terms and yeah, we would love to have the success we had under SAF. BUT we are simply just not good enough. We have had our decades in the sun, we have been supremely successful in english football terms but our time is up.

This is where real fans will start to show their true colours. Too many of the fans on these forums are too young to remember when we fluctuated season after season. Almost every game was completely different from the previous but we always supported the team. Fergie almost got sacked because he didn't have immediate success yet look what happened when he brought his style and passion through.

I hope that the younger " fans " accept that we are not the team we once were and OGS is having to do a huge revamping job after a few months in charge. From what I saw, 1st half we won, albeit 1-1 at the whistle. We have players who can do it, they NEED to work on their fitness. Lukaku was huffing and puffing after half an hour!!! OGS has a huge job ahead of him and we should look at supporting him. SAF spoilt us with decades of success, hopefully Ole can bring some of it back but it won't be overnight, be patient.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Winning the Europa League might yet prove not to be beyond us but if the season is a blank and we finish 5th/6th missing out on CL again, I feel we have made some progress after the final dog days of Wenger - I'm looking on the bright side
We won't be winning the Europa League anytime soon.
It is a very very difficult competition to win, with teams in it, who are far better than us.
Jose was a serial winner, which allowed him to grind out trophies.
People on this forum don't seem to understand this.

I realise that a lot of people dislike Jose, but his results cannot be argued with. His final year with us did go pear shaped, but his first 2 seasons' results were the best we've had under any manager since Fergie.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
OGS has a huge job ahead of him and we should look at supporting him. SAF spoilt us with decades of success, hopefully Ole can bring some of it back but it won't be overnight, be patient.
This sentiment was spoken with Moyes came in.
And repeated when LVG came in.
And repeated with Jose came in.
And repeated when OGS came in.
4th time lucky?

Are you implying that there is going to be some sort of clear out in the Summer and that Ole will be working with new players to create a winning squad? Or are you suggesting that Ole will work with the existing players and turn them into winners?

Lee565

This where Solskjear seems to have changed since getting the job, against PSG we were far worse in getting bossed in midfield but it didn't stop him throwing on inexperienced forwards, the situation was quite similar against Chelsea where we really did need a win but this time he went for a safe option?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We won't be winning the Europa League anytime soon.
It is a very very difficult competition to win, with teams in it, who are far better than us.
Jose was a serial winner, which allowed him to grind out trophies.
People on this forum don't seem to understand this.

I realise that a lot of people dislike Jose, but his results cannot be argued with. His final year with us did go pear shaped, but his first 2 seasons' results were the best we've had under any manager since Fergie.
Well I certainly don't dislike Jose and must be one of the very few who realise what he managed to achieve with us.
I also don't blame him completely for what happened this season.
He got us to 2nd last season which in hindsight was a fantastic achievement but he knew that we were not good enough to progress and made his requirements know.
A combination of lack of support from the club and players not performing (something of a common theme) turned his understandable frustration into anger.
Anyway. Water under the bridge now but it is fundamentally wrong to blame him for everything.
As you say. A serial winner.

redmanx

Shit from our attack but DdG has cost us top 4 with his mistakes since the Arsenal game.
I was surprised he played v Chelsea, his confidence is shot and Romero must feel like hes pissing in the wind, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to leave for a club where he might be more appreciated. Forgetting tactics, formations, substitutions most of which Ole has handled well especially as had to start from scratch with his players, I think omitting Romero from the Chelsea is his first real mistake and it could come back to bite him.

redmanx

Only watched first half and caught very few snippets of 2nd half. I thought it was a marked improvement throughout the 1st half and I marked them from that half alone. I have to say that we are enormous in marketing terms and yeah, we would love to have the success we had under SAF. BUT we are simply just not good enough. We have had our decades in the sun, we have been supremely successful in english football terms but our time is up.

This is where real fans will start to show their true colours. Too many of the fans on these forums are too young to remember when we fluctuated season after season. Almost every game was completely different from the previous but we always supported the team. Fergie almost got sacked because he didn't have immediate success yet look what happened when he brought his style and passion through.

I hope that the younger " fans " accept that we are not the team we once were and OGS is having to do a huge revamping job after a few months in charge. From what I saw, 1st half we won, albeit 1-1 at the whistle. We have players who can do it, they NEED to work on their fitness. Lukaku was huffing and puffing after half an hour!!! OGS has a huge job ahead of him and we should look at supporting him. SAF spoilt us with decades of success, hopefully Ole can bring some of it back but it won't be overnight, be patient.
Bravo, well said.

reddevil80

This sentiment was spoken with Moyes came in.
And repeated when LVG came in.
And repeated with Jose came in.
And repeated when OGS came in.
4th time lucky?

Are you implying that there is going to be some sort of clear out in the Summer and that Ole will be working with new players to create a winning squad? Or are you suggesting that Ole will work with the existing players and turn them into winners?
Yeah, 4th time lucky I believe. I personally think and hope that Ole has the balls to stand up to the "stars" and tells them what's what. Shape up or ship out, simple! I think OGS has a relatively unique opportunity here. He has his own individual style and tactics plus the added inside knowledge of what helped make us the tremendous force we were under SAF. I will say that I think he will get rid of the ones he doesn't see as having a future at OT, I honestly do. I, personally, want him to be given the full backing from the board and that they have the faith that he will bring success back. It is unfortunate that in todays society, success must be immediate, however, we have to be patient.

LVG, DM, JM, all successful managers in their own right but they didn't have Utds vision, only their own hence fans getting on their backs when things didn't go our way. Ole does have the Utd vision as well as the history and his individuality too. I'm gonna say he will bring the good times back, with or without the current squad.

reddevil80

I was surprised he played v Chelsea, his confidence is shot and Romero must feel like hes pissing in the wind, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to leave for a club where he might be more appreciated. Forgetting tactics, formations, substitutions most of which Ole has handled well especially as had to start from scratch with his players, I think omitting Romero from the Chelsea is his first real mistake and it could come back to bite him.
My sentiments exactly. Romero has been superb and is possibly the worlds best GK understudy. I feel for him myself and yeah, I agree, it might come back and bite his ass.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea