LC W League Cup Round of 16

Chelsea 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 30 October 2019

Superunknown

Beautiful free kick from Rashford for the winner! That's what the game will be remembered for.

An away win against Chelsea is a great result. I did tense up a little every time McTominay went in for a tackle after being carded, and looking back on it maybe he was a bit lucky to survive the whole game. Aside from that, another great performance from him and is probably our most consistent midfielder at the moment. Him and James will start virtually every game this season, and for good reason.

Member 90887

Chelsea looked pretty average yesterday against us. Now, granted they changed 5 outfield players but most of them were in their defense and even with Abraham, Pedro and Mount in in the last 20 minutes i saw nothing of the 'Lampard' style.

And this is in SB.

Robertd0803

Buzzing after that win. Nice to put an x through Rashford scoring penalties and free kicks in the same game.

Plus another win at Stamford Bridge for Ole is pretty incredible considering.

RedDevilRoshi

Just watched the full 90 mins as missed it last night. My thoughts:

1st half - Despite all that Chelsea possession, we didn’t look as if we were under severe threat. Romero didn’t have a single save to make. I personally thought we were the better side in that opening half and out of the two teams, we looked the more dangerous going forward. Clear penalty for the foul by Alonso on James and comfortably tucked away by Rashford.

2nd half - Chelsea started a hell lot better and were well on top for the opening 20 mins. Poor defending from ourselves, particularly Maguire (who I thought had his worst game in a Utd shirt) for there equaliser. We eventually changed our shape and went back to our customary 4-2-3-1 formation and it worked. We nullified that earlier Chelsea onslaught as they didn’t really create too many chances in the final 30 mins. Any openings/chances they did have, we comfortably dealt with. Then that wonderful moment that is worthy of winning any game of football. Pedro fouls Fred about 35 yards away from goal and Rashford hits a wonderful strike into the top corner that any GK in world football would have struggled to keep out. Simply magnificent! We managed the game well in the final stages. Chelsea had ran out of ideas on how to break us down and we deservedly held on for the win.

Overall, I’m happy with that. A lot better than what was served up before the recent international break, which looks like it came at the right time for us. Still a lot more needed but it’s very good to see the players have restored a bit of confidence back into themselves and the club. We go into the Bournemouth game with a wee spring in our step.

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Comfortable first half without creating a great deal.

Second half started sloppy and until Lingard and Lindelof went off we didn't look much of a threat but Chelsea's threat then diminished and we were better going forward.
Lingard totally pointless as usual, how much longer do we have to put up with this waste of space

Superb free kick from Rashford - MoM followed by McTominay.

Three away wins in a row,let's make it four.
Beaten our bogey team twice by the end of October.

Dr Fink

A decent performance last night. Williams is getting better by the game. McTominay was again the best on the park in red. He's becoming our solid "7/10 every game" player.

A bit concerning we have conceded two similar goals - a striker or forward driving straight down the middle going past and through our CBs. Maguire looked a bit rope on occasions.

The next game is a further gauge of if we've improved, away from home.

Roosney

The team and Ole did well indeed.

Chelsea's game was quite odd really, they started both halves very strong but after a while we got on to them and controlled the rest of the half leaving them looking helpless.

EwanI Ted

Loved our pressing in the first half yesterday, probably the best we've seen so far this season. It wasnt piecemeal like it was earlier in the season, the front line looked like they were all on the same page. Just as importantly our energy levels are good enough now that we can press hard early on and still have something left in the tank for the last 20 minutes of games, which was crucial yesterday as it allowed us to see out the Chelsea second half pressure.

imamuppet

Can you smell the unmistakable whiff of burning plastic?
Yes mate, can smell it very well, but no sign of those idiots

With the help of a bent ref, a suspect penalty and a freak free kick your old pros did scrape, foul and time waste their way to a narrow win against our brave kids.

Nah, we were shit first half, better second bit not good enough on the night.

McTom and Williams should both have been sent off though.
said as a true butt hurt Chelsea fan :lol::lol:

@Mainoldo will be devastated.
I think all of these copy and paste characters will be disappointed!

Rashford post match interview on Sky:

“it’s all about getting the three points”

Someone needs to tell him it’s a cup game :lol:

Beautiful free kick from him.
Hahahahahahaaa :)

It’s almost as if managers need longer than five minutes to build a team from the tatters left by previous managers..........snip
Sarcasm On :: Keep your voice down, this is the most important secret in the history of football! :: Sarcasm Off

Have you watched his other videos posted on YouTube? The kid has single digit IQ. He was just thinking going into this interview "I was the star of the show, what did they teach me to say when that's the case? Ah right 3 points"
Disgraceful, jealous much ??

I didn't think he was very good tonight. There were a few times where when a player is dribbling at him he just keeps backing up and backing up. You can't just let a guy walk into the 18 like that. At some point you have to step up and force him outside, make him pass, or make a tackle. If it were Young backing up the way that he was the Caf would be losing their minds...
Mind boggling stupidity, I guess Ashley Young is still 18 and has made a handful of appearances, you were doing OK till you decided to mention Ashley as a means to back up your opinion .............

The goal Chelsea scored is a big dark spot on the entire match. AWFUL DEFENDING AND WORST IN YEARS.........snip
You cant have watched much football .......

I just want to extend a 1 finger salute to the 50% of the so-called "supporters" that picked us to lose. These are the same doom and gloom idiots that constantly moan and put down our manager and players.

"You are out of your depth". Go support Liverpool or whatever team is the flavour of the month these days.
100% whole heartedly agree

Guys you do know we played Chelsea's reserve side?
Are you a Manchester United supporter ????

Confused as why else would a Manchester United fan choose to dump on the happiness some are experiencing ??

cyberman

I remember when the draw was made and Frank was doing his post match after the earlier round drubbing with the journos basically laughing at us with their questions.
Frank had to remind them that we beat them on the first day.
Get that up ye

StrettyEnder07

It felt watching the Liverpool match that it might be this team turning a corner. 3 away wins later and the signs are encouraging, but obviously we have a long way to go still. At least we continue to see further signs of the type of team that the staff want us to be. The team look hungry and happy to play together. McTominay might just be on the road to becoming a complete central midfielder.

Only 6 pages after a good away win at the Bridge though? This thread would have been 15 had we lost, with the Ole haters sharpening the knives and vomiting their toxicity all over the forum. Many of them cant bring themselves to congratulate the team on a good win.
THIS! Top post mate they just love to see us fail yawn

romufc

It felt watching the Liverpool match that it might be this team turning a corner. 3 away wins later and the signs are encouraging, but obviously we have a long way to go still. At least we continue to see further signs of the type of team that the staff want us to be. The team look hungry and happy to play together. McTominay might just be on the road to becoming a complete central midfielder.

Only 6 pages after a good away win at the Bridge though? This thread would have been 15 had we lost, with the Ole haters sharpening the knives and vomiting their toxicity all over the forum. Many of them cant bring themselves to congratulate the team on a good win.

A win away from home when they were flying scoring for fun.

Sometimes you have to also take note on the opposition and current situation. If we were on a 7 game winning steak and Chelsea where we are and we played like that then it would be different.

We need to be realistic, results like this will get confidence up.

Sea-Cow

I thought the performance was more of the same really. We weren't under threat and looked defensively solid, but we were simply awful in possession and our "attack" is again non-existent. I don't remember us creating a single chance or forcing their keeper into any meaningful action. The team falls apart when we get beyond the half-way point and its a number of sideways or backwards passing until we lose possession.

Oh well I guess. Hope Harry isn't injured and I hope Rashford and James can summon some energy for Saturday.

Gasolin

For tactics lovers

Oh yeah but Ole is so inept and doesn't know anything... right?
I like the fact that we exploited the same corner routine against Chelsea. It shows that we do our homework.

lysglimt

Scout
I remember when the draw was made and Frank was doing his post match after the earlier round drubbing with the journos basically laughing at us with their questions.
Frank had to remind them that we beat them on the first day.
Get that up ye
Think Lampard and Ole both come across as sensible, intelligent managers.

ReddBalls

A lot better than what was served up before the recent international break,
Interestingly, Ole stated earlier (like, september) that he counted everything up until international break as pre-season. That would imply first and foremost getting the players in shape, which actually would somewhat explain muscle injuries and the lethargic play. United have certainly looked better after the break (bar the game against Partizan playing cast-offs, youth, and players returning from injury).

Obviously, i can't find the quote anywhere, so it might also be a product of my imagination.

davidmichael

Think it’s about time we (by we I mean all United management/coaching staffs) accepted Lingard is at best a back up option (as is Mata even though he didn’t play) as he contributes nothing other than he chases/presses a lot.

Devil may care

I never got a chance to comment on the game last night but I thought it was a decent performance and another building block after the Norwich game. Collectively the teams energy and movement seems to have improved and I thought the way we switched from the 5-3-2 to the 4-2-3-1 to wrestle momentum back in the 2nd half was the best bit of tactical nous Ole has shown in ages.

USREDEVIL

That free kick from Rashford was EPIC!

I was sitting on my couch, couple beers in and eating dinner (watched on ESPN + stream) and i was just remarking like, that's pretty far for Rashford and he's been off the boil a bit. But he's capable of it. Expecting it to hit the wall or over the goal and then BAM! I almost spat out my beer. EPIC!

Gator Nate

I suppose it might be unpopular to point out that Lingard had one shot on target and was second in passing accuracy (ignoring Martial, who was 100% on three passes). Granted, he was 7th in total number of pass attempts, but I didn't feel he was totally useless last night. Granted, that was a bright spot on an otherwise dull season for him.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Yes mate, can smell it very well, but no sign of those idiots

said as a true butt hurt Chelsea fan :lol::lol:

I think all of these copy and paste characters will be disappointed!

Hahahahahahaaa :)

Sarcasm On :: Keep your voice down, this is the most important secret in the history of football! :: Sarcasm Off

Disgraceful, jealous much ??

Mind boggling stupidity, I guess Ashley Young is still 18 and has made a handful of appearances, you were doing OK till you decided to mention Ashley as a means to back up your opinion .............

You cant have watched much football .......

100% whole heartedly agree

Are you a Manchester United supporter ????

Confused as why else would a Manchester United fan choose to dump on the happiness some are experiencing ??
Oh wow. I’ve been on here for years and I can wholeheartedly say you totally are the fkin muppet you claim to be.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

[/QUOTE]

Read the entire context of the reply before you start with the name calling. When I said "I didnt think he was that good tonight" I was referring to the OP talking about how great he was.It thought he was ok, but it's all about the standards and expectations we have for players. SOmeone like Young can put in a 7/10 performance and the Caf will still mock him and say he was a 4. Meanwhile Williams can put in a 6/10 performance and the Caf will talk him up like he's the next Irwin. He's good with the ball and makes smart runs, but he seems nervous when someone is dribbling at him. As a defender, you can only back up so much. But from the little I've seen of this kid, he looks promising. Just needs to work on his 1 on 1 defending more and luckily that's the easiest part to learn and improve on...

imamuppet

Oh wow. I’ve been on here for years and I can wholeheartedly say you totally are the fkin muppet you claim to be.
I will take that as a compliment

:lol: :lol:

imamuppet said:
Read the entire context of the reply before you start with the name calling. When I said "I didnt think he was that good tonight" I was referring to the OP talking about how great he was.It thought he was ok, but it's all about the standards and expectations we have for players. SOmeone like Young can put in a 7/10 performance and the Caf will still mock him and say he was a 4. Meanwhile Williams can put in a 6/10 performance and the Caf will talk him up like he's the next Irwin. He's good with the ball and makes smart runs, but he seems nervous when someone is dribbling at him. As a defender, you can only back up so much. But from the little I've seen of this kid, he looks promising. Just needs to work on his 1 on 1 defending more and luckily that's the easiest part to learn and improve on...
Firstly I didnt call you any name, what I asserted to was your statement i.e. dont attack the poster but the argument.

More importantly it looks like I owe you an apology, that I read your post as a 'one off' statement i.e. out of context is me bad, sorry about that

:)

And I probably have named called on these forums, but most times the name calling is en mass i.e. not towards a single person but more towards a group of posters

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I will take that as a compliment

:lol: :lol:

Firstly I didnt call you any name, what I asserted to was your statement i.e. dont attack the poster but the argument.

More importantly it looks like I owe you an apology, that I read your post as a 'one off' statement i.e. out of context is me bad, sorry about that

:)

And I probably have named called on these forums, but most times the name calling is en mass i.e. not towards a single person but more towards a group of posters
You insulted me with "mind boggling spupidity". I guess it wasn't so stupid afterall was it. God I love the internet. Bunch of keyboard warriors who are so quick to judge without looking at all the facts. But I guess when you name yourself "muppet" I shouldn't expect any less...sigh

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ole has Chelsea’s number :wenger:

Glad they didn’t avenge the 4-0, and I’m pleased for Rashford to finally get a good game under his belt, and to finally score a free kick.

imamuppet

You insulted me with "mind boggling spupidity". I guess it wasn't so stupid afterall was it. God I love the internet. Bunch of keyboard warriors who are so quick to judge without looking at all the facts. But I guess when you name yourself "muppet" I shouldn't expect any less...sigh
Can only say you must be a very sensitive person that you were 'insulted' by me calling your comment "mind boggling stupidity".

Is English your first language ? As that could be another explanation.

Your comment as a standalone statement is "mind boggling stupidity" and seeing that I already apologized for not reading the full context of your conversations (as if everybody does that as a norm) which you decided not to acknowledge I can only assume that your ego has got the better of you.

Nvm, I will call things as I see them and apologies when needed.

All the best on your adventurers in this big bad World....

TRUERED89

Chelsea looked pretty average yesterday against us. Now, granted they changed 5 outfield players but most of them were in their defense and even with Abraham, Pedro and Mount in in the last 20 minutes i saw nothing of the 'Lampard' style.

And this is in SB.
They’d also been unbeaten in 8, or won 8 straight! So massive result, without mentioning it was at Stamford Bridge. Great bit of experience and a learning curve for Williams, who had Reece James and CHO working him hard! Overall we can have no real complaints.

Strelok

Hahahaha hahahaha gotta love this type of bravado after beating Chelsea's second string team in the fecking League cup! How standards have fallen!

Take that win though, I'm hoping for an easy draw so we don't need to have first team mainstays (Rashford, Maguire) picking up knocks in a pointless midweek cup game.
Honestly I'm a bit worried about you. Better see some psychologist asap mate :(

Vanrouge

What? The guy gave the ball away countless times and ran around like a headless chicken.
Huh? His pass accuracy (80.4 percent) was higher than that of AWB, Brandon Williams, Harry Maguire, Andreas Pereira, Marcus Rashford, Marcos Rojo, and Ashley Young, and just behind Dan James and Scott McT. And only AWB and Scott McTominay had more touches than Fred (58). You must have been watching a version of the game set in hell!

Hughie77

With the help of a bent ref, a suspect penalty and a freak free kick your old pros did scrape, foul and time waste their way to a narrow win against our brave kids.

Nah, we were shit first half, better second bit not good enough on the night.

McTom and Williams should both have been sent off though.
Yep not good enough, hell of a free kick though must say, Romero had 1 save from Alonso, suspect defending by him as well, good player in those situations not the first time he's been rash, he's your Phill Jones.. got a fair record at the Bridge in getting a result. That's the bent refs that go there.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd