PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 April 2024

Gordon S

We actually played some decent football here and there, which isn`t something i can say often for our games under him. A huge stepup from the Brentford game where we were bullied for about 60 min straight…
The 2 pens were extremely unlucky and soft. There would have been riots on the streets if we were awarded these pens.

But all in all, we have been here before, loads of times under Eriks reign.
Sometimes we get the luck to see the game out, this time we didn`t.
The squad isn`t great but he has to be able to do more than this.

CtrlAltDeLigt

Extremely complacent post 80 minutes of the game, our performance and game management are absolutely terrible.

ETH has to be a crazy genius to have been able to convince the squad and management that this is the style. Clearly month on month of it not working.

There are literally 2 styles we play, one is hyper active, coke fuelled running, which is generally the first 20/30 minutes.

Or being lax on and off the ball, as soon as we get a lead. The middle phase is more on and off.

I’m not sure eth out is the way to instant success, but his unwilingness to change tactics, and understand chaos football is unpredictable, he should go. He’s had 8-9 months to sort this tactic that clearly is on/off.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I know we’re shit but I don’t think I have ever seen a team get so many deflected goals against them as us this season.

Butty19

I know we’re shit but I don’t think I have ever seen a team get so many deflected goals against them as us this season.
It’s probably due to the amount of shots we concede. The last goal, 3 players stood pointing at Palmer before the corner was taken, no one thought to go out to him. The team lacks football intelligence in all aspects, making terrible decisions attacking and defending.

Oldyella

Teams are getting 20 or 30 shots against us per game. ETHs supporters claimed this was fine as they were low quality long range shots. It was always going to happen that deflections would start happening.

JeffFromHK

It’s probably due to the amount of shots we concede. The last goal, 3 players stood pointing at Palmer before the corner was taken, no one thought to go out to him. The team lacks football intelligence in all aspects, making terrible decisions attacking and defending.
I also think it is related to our team's lack of concentration. A lot of deflected goals could have been blocks if our defenders were concentrated enough to make deliberate attempts to block the shots

Savlehest

I can see us easily getting out of distance to Europe league. So the season is definitely not over yet.
After all the spendings, this is simply unacceptable.

Gordon S

We constantly let oppos close to our box, we let them get the opportunity to shoot. Constantly. Even Newport, sitting at bottom half league two got the opportunity to shoot and test Onana multiple times, they got 2 goals because of this. When you concede about +20 shots each games these kind of goals become a normal occurence.

Correct me if i missed something but i think Palace in the league cup was the only game this season where our oppos didn`t get a sniff?

Ghirahim

United are leaking lots of goals. But imagine losing against Chelsea, Chelsea are terrible.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Up to March 9th:

Season90min goalsAve. match length
2023/2487101m 39s

Ye had less than the average time to hold on
Longer than average. That 101min 39seconds includes first half stoppage time. Our match last night was 104 minutes I think.

Reynoldo

Not gonna lie, slight pang of relief this morning now that the little glimmer of top 4 hope is gone. It was highly unlikely to happen anyway so now we can just get on with accessing and planning for next year.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
I’m assuming 101 mins is total of both halves time on pitch?

With first half added time, that game would be 116 ish minutes?
93814, member: 95650"]
Longer than average. That 101min 39seconds includes first half stoppage time. Our match last night was 104 minutes I think.
[/QUOTE]

Fair, my bad,

So I guess it would of been about average if it ended on 98 but the penalty was given before that and they took a number of minutes to check VAR which extended the extra time and the a restart after the last goal.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
93814, member: 95650"]
Fair, my bad,

So I guess it would of been about average if it ended on 98 but the penalty was given before that and they took a number of minutes to check VAR which extended the extra time and the a restart after the last goal.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe. Even saying it’s average though… that will include games with the ref warning goalies, lengthy injuries. I still don’t see where eight minutes is from… 4 ok, 5 maybe.

Doesnt excuse the way they played the added time, just seemed overly long for that game

Last edited:

justsomebloke

From Total entropy Football to Total chaos football. Other than that, this was the sort of game that seems to defy rational comment. I can't even manage to get worked up over conceding two goals deep into added time, that just seems perfectly in keeping with the nature of the game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fair, my bad,

Maybe. Even saying it’s average though… that will include games with the ref warning goalies, lengthy injuries. I still don’t see where eight minutes is from… 4 ok, 5 maybe.

Doesnt excuse the way they played the added time, just seemed overly long for that game

To me if you have to spend that long looking at a penalty is isn't a penalty. You are just trying to convince yourself it is one.

Last edited:

Mullet_Man

The most disappointed I've been with the outcome of a match in a long, long time. It hurt proper. Two extremely soft penalties and a deflected shor.

After the red card we struggled to do much with the ball at all. Tried to keep possession and kill the game, which we're dreadful at
Red card?

G-manc

The naivety for the last goal man. You could argue we needed to win the game to keep any (feint) hope iof top 5 alive , but surely you just make sure you don’t lose at that point. Just overcommitting and losing the ball in the attacking third again. Our inability to control a game at any stage stresses me out - we’re like Luton with marginally better players.

I’ve become so emotionless when watching games that I sort of don’t see the point any more. I couldn’t bring myself to celebrate Mount’s goal at Brentford and I couldn’t bring myself to be overly disappointed at Chelsea’s 4th last night. Any enthusiasm has been drained from me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The naivety for the last goal man. You could argue we needed to win the game to keep any (feint) hope iof top 5 alive , but surely you just make sure you don’t lose at that point. Just overcommitting and losing the ball in the attacking third again. Our inability to control a game at any stage stresses me out - we’re like Luton with marginally better players.

I’ve become so emotionless when watching games that I sort of don’t see the point any more. I couldn’t bring myself to celebrate Mount’s goal at Brentford and I couldn’t bring myself to be overly disappointed at Chelsea’s 4th last night. Any enthusiasm has been drained from me.
Same

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Surely 8 minutes of extra time were excessive ?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yeah when this version of Chelsea effectively end your league campaign, and do that so late on, it’s surely the end of the road for the manager?

Of course we all know it’s a combination of the manager, some players and the behind-the-scenes structure, but you can have Ten Hag front this with such fundamentally basic principles missing from games leading to pretty embarrassing points being dropped across the entire season.

We deserved nothing at Brentford, but you have to win that when you score so late. We deserved something against Chelsea and made so many individual mistakes that you have to credit Chelsea for capitalising.

Mike Smalling

On a positive note, I had a bet that it would be level at half-time and Chelsea would win. Don't think it could be realized in a more convoluted way.

UpWithRivers

When you play chaos football then crazy sht happens. Its both a structure thing but more so a mentality thing. They say ETH can't influence it and its just the players fault. But he can. He needs to stop this basketball football and instill shutting up shop mentality. Practice it on the training ground. Ok you are two up. Now close out the game. Its no coincidence that players are doing crazy sht. Bruno is still launching balls, Mctominay and others players are still launching forward. Dalot tries to take on the whole team. It's lack of discipline. Like if you throw civilians into a battle zone and they are all over the place and won't hold the line. It's the training that differentiates what happens.
All this madness is created before a ball is kicked.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You just know some of these d*ckheads were crying in the changing room at full-time. Shower of p*icks.

freddie the red

Ten Hag post match......

"....Manchester United dominated...individual mistakes cost us the match but the team play was brilliant..."

:houllier:

Last edited:

Scanny

Went to bed angry and woke up angry.
Why do I invest any time in this team? - it’s like an abusive relationship this season.

buckooo1978

thought we managed the end of the game well until that first Dalot error for penalty - where did 8 mins come from. Just a stupid error to run behind him like that.

this season has been one of the craziest, frustrating

woke up in shit form today

the kinda mood only a result of some type at weekend will lift a little

AndyMUFC

The more I see that Palmer winner the worse it gets.

The amount these idiots get paid and they switch off like that against the most dangerous player they have late on.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
thought we managed the end of the game well until that first Dalot error for penalty - where did 8 mins come from. Just a stupid error to run behind him like that.

this season has been one of the craziest, frustrating

woke up in shit form today

the kinda mood only a result of some type at weekend will lift a little
Completely agree, we were actually impressive holding onto the ball very well.

But then we implode/bad pen decision.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Professional footballers these.

Keep conceding same type of goals every game. Must be amazing training for Utd these days as you literally have to just show up.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 87% of 164 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 171 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw