EL W Europa League Round of 32 - 2nd Leg

Manchester United 5:0 Club Brugge

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 February 2020

SqueakyWeasel

I am guessing that he was looking at whether the shot was on target. Even if GK could save it, that’s still considered as denying goal scoring chance I would think. But if the shot was off target then it wouldn’t be.
100% this. No one can possibly say it would or would not have been saved. As long as it was on target it has to be red. I think it was quite obviously on target and the delay was bizarre. I’ve seen far less contentious things go unchecked in the PL.
Imagine after four minutes delay standing over the ball Bruno had missed the pen? Should have let him take the penalty as that was not in question - then debate the red card.
My only other problem is how come a four minute delay and three restarts adds up to only three minutes first half ET?

Gator Nate

Watched the game properly last night after I got home from coaching my son's U14 squad.

Can't knock anyone for last night's performance. Really pleased that they played 100% for 90 minutes in spite of the opponent going down to 10 so early. Went on the attack early - probably should have had a goal before the sending off.

Bruno and Fred... Oh, my. What a pair. McTominay complimented them well, too. And they accounted for 4 of 5 goals. Fred was his usual workhorse self, as was McTominay.

Bruno and Mata... Oh, my. What a pair. Ighalo complimented them well, too. And they made the other goal. As many observed, Mata seems a new man. Glad to see Ighalo get that first goal.

Bruno. Oh, my. What a player! He is like a key that unlocked our entire game. Like Joshua leading the people into the Promised Land. Like the dash of salt that opens up the flavor of the whole dish. People are actually making runs now where they seemed scared to do it in the past. Not only do we now have a functional midfield, we now have multiple options in the midfield.

Ighalo really knows how to use his body. One of my favorite things almost resulted in a goal, but he held off a very physical defender right in front of the net to spin and shoot. No one else on this team could have pulled that off - certainly not Martial, Rashford, or Greenwood. We may have a gem there.

James is not the waste of space some seem to think. He would have had the first goal if not for that stupid handball. He still makes runs that pull defenders. He's still a defensive force in the opponent's half. His shooting is not sharp and there were a couple of good chances where he had shots that were just way off.

As for the back line... almost forgot they were there. Each of them did, at some point, meander over to the other side of the field to see what was getting the crowd excited and to get a little action themselves, but they had almost nothing to do.

I do want to highlight Chong. Seemed to me his best appearance yet, especially with that assist. There were a few passes that were beyond his speed to catch, but he was on his way, and he made some good passes. Kind of reminds me of poker: Doing the correct thing doesn't always work, but if you keep doing the correct thing, good things happen. He was making correct runs and passes but they didn't always work. Oh, and that collision with the goalkeeper...

Enough players were rested, and the defense didn't have to wear themselves down, that we should be sharp for Everton.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 56% of 332 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brugge win
  • Draw