FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Coventry City 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2024

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Even up to 60 minutes it was garbage. I called it porridge football yesterday, which was harsh on porridge, it was just bland and did what you needed it to do.

Should have been a routine win at 3-0. But nothing is routine with these players, you could see the first 2 Coventry goals coming a mile away. Lazy defending, not closing people down, dumb players out of position, people pointing and not just taking charge of the situation. The penalty for me shouldn't be given, but comes about from poor defending.

These players are just lazy and have a horrible attitude to the game, we've seen it time and time again. No desire, no aggression, almost like what Arsenal were like under Wenger for the last few years, zero fight, aimless passing and players who clearly just don't give a shit once they keep getting their big fat pay cheques.
There was nothing really wrong with the performance until Coventry scored their first. Sure, it wasn't perfect but we were very comfortable.

The subs put us on the backfoot.

I'm also not convinced the players are lazy. They're clearly still trying and fighting for the manager. The issue is most of them aren't good enough. The question is, could a different manager get anything more out of them? If not, that's probably a case for keeping the manager. At least until there's a long term option available.

singhters

Lets look at it again.

1st goal for coventry lucky off the shin.
2nd goal fluke deflection which should have been saved he did not even try diving.
3rd not a penalty as he tried to move his arm away from the ball where grealish moved his arm towards the ball and was not given.

need to tighten up at the back been saying this for ages, 3-0 up should have pulled men behind the ball and bored it out.

RuudTom83

There was nothing really wrong with the performance until Coventry scored their first. Sure, it wasn't perfect but we were very comfortable.
Yeah I had no issue with the first 70 minutes

I think the ending (obviously) but mostly it was an accumulation of the entire season that caused the reaction at the final whistle.

Oranges038

The subs put us on the backfoot.

I'm also not convinced the players are lazy. They're clearly still trying and fighting for the manager. The issue is most of them aren't good enough. The question is, could a different manager get anything more out of them? If not, that's probably a case for keeping the manager. At least until there's a long term option available.
Nothing really wrong with porridge either.

It was a dreadfully boring game, 3-0 up against a championship team. That only came to life because Utd players shit themselves and couldn't hold the 3-0 lead.

Lazy, braindead or not good enough, take your pick, pointing at runners, not closing down shots, being miles out of position and not bothered to get back, getting outmuscled, outrun and outsmarted almost every other week etc etc...

A different manager won't get anywhere with this squad.

Swearing Budgie

Maybe he is confusing them with his tactics / coaching? Sure he can’t help them make a simple pass but if they are all looking at each other while pointing at runners, maybe they don’t actually know who is responsible for what.

That’s down to coaching, isn’t it?

Wing Attack Plan R

A big problem with our "attack" is we run forward with the ball past the man we're trying to pass to, then stop and pass it square or slightly backwards. There's very little one touch passing, triangles forming, give and go 1-2s whatever. It was particularly bad with AWB and Rashford, who together added up to a negative force down the left.

I don't think it's Rashford's attitude that is the problem but rather he's just been found out. He strikes the ball well, and he had a couple good shots against Coventry, but he's not elite when it comes to passing and dribbling, and now that his pace is lacking (by a muscle injury, I would guess), all he has is shooting but without the ability to move the ball enough to carve open a space to hit anything but the defender's legs.

Amad should start ahead of him for the rest of the season, and Forson should get more minutes by giving Rasmus some rest at the end of matches. Coventry got at us in the second half by persistent fouling, going through backs and ankles of players, and using cynical fouls to stop counters. 5 or 6 yellows would have been handed out if we had been the perpetrators. Then they started pumping it long, and that immediately exposed our back four, and from there they just built on it.

I think Ten Hag says the right things in interviews, getting to the FA Cup final is good but it's really only about winning. Maybe with Rashford sidelined and Casemiro out of central defense we'll be able to string a few passes together, win most of our remaining fixtures.

Bertie Wooster

A big problem with our "attack" is we run forward with the ball past the man we're trying to pass to, then stop and pass it square or slightly backwards. There's very little one touch passing, triangles forming, give and go 1-2s whatever. It was particularly bad with AWB and Rashford, who together added up to a negative force down the left.

I don't think it's Rashford's attitude that is the problem but rather he's just been found out. He strikes the ball well, and he had a couple good shots against Coventry, but he's not elite when it comes to passing and dribbling, and now that his pace is lacking (by a muscle injury, I would guess), all he has is shooting but without the ability to move the ball enough to carve open a space to hit anything but the defender's legs.

Amad should start ahead of him for the rest of the season, and Forson should get more minutes by giving Rasmus some rest at the end of matches. Coventry got at us in the second half by persistent fouling, going through backs and ankles of players, and using cynical fouls to stop counters. 5 or 6 yellows would have been handed out if we had been the perpetrators. Then they started pumping it long, and that immediately exposed our back four, and from there they just built on it.

I think Ten Hag says the right things in interviews, getting to the FA Cup final is good but it's really only about winning. Maybe with Rashford sidelined and Casemiro out of central defense we'll be able to string a few passes together, win most of our remaining fixtures.
Forson isn't a #9. He's an AM / Winger.

If we're going to bring a kid on for Hojlund to play up top then I'd rather it be Wheatley. He's an out and out #9 so at least knows the role. He's also come on leaps and bounds this season so would be getting his chance at a good time (2 more goals last night to win the PL Youth Cup Final v City).

It's far from ideal, but he's the only other #9 we have in the squad and while I could understand playing a more senior player out of position there instead of Wheatley - opting for experience - I don't see the point in playing the not much more experienced Forson out of position rather than playing Wheatley in his primary role and where he's currently thriving (albeit at youth level).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can’t get over how bad that game went.

Still think VAR f**ked us out of a peno.

The gas thing is that your man was offside in the buildup to their 4th, but now there’s a national outcry even though that’s the f**king rule.

Im as angry as anybody about that game, but had United gotten the peno they got and they didn’t get ours there would be chaos. Had United scored a last minute goal disallowed like theirs , there would be nothing mentioned.

Oddly enough , the chaos of uniteds play has over shadowed a lot of crap decisions going against us (“VAR club check). It is a frustration for me with ETH that he doesn’t speak up about it. Maybe he feels he doesn’t have the same authority as the relentless whinge-bags at the tip of the league but we definitely get f**ked a lot and it’s only when something sort of goes our way that we hear about things.
If only the PK is somehow related to the food, United management might care a bit about complaining.

Wolfbot

Can’t get over how bad that game went.

Still think VAR f**ked us out of a peno.

The gas thing is that your man was offside in the buildup to their 4th, but now there’s a national outcry even though that’s the f**king rule.

Im as angry as anybody about that game, but had United gotten the peno they got and they didn’t get ours there would be chaos. Had United scored a last minute goal disallowed like theirs , there would be nothing mentioned.

Oddly enough , the chaos of uniteds play has over shadowed a lot of crap decisions going against us (“VAR club check). It is a frustration for me with ETH that he doesn’t speak up about it. Maybe he feels he doesn’t have the same authority as the relentless whinge-bags at the tip of the league but we definitely get f**ked a lot and it’s only when something sort of goes our way that we hear about things.
This kind of relates to something that's been annoying me about the narrative all over social media since the game.

It was all "poor Coventry, they were the better side and deserved to win.

If that game had happened the other way round, people wouldn't have said we deserved to win, they would have said we scored 2 flukey goals to get back into it.

If that had been Utd getting a penalty for a Coventry player handling like Wan Bissaka did, it would have be a shocking decision, the ref and VAR are corrupt.

And you can be sure as hell if it was us that scored a last minute winner that was offside, noone wouldn't have given a feck and it wouldn't have been the robbery of the century.

I wouldn't have begrudged Coventry the win but they didn't "deserve to win", nor were they the "better team". They came into the game and caused us problems after 70 minutes which we didn't deal with, that's a problem for us, doesn't mean they were particularly great though.

Chumpsbechumps

This kind of relates to something that's been annoying me about the narrative all over social media since the game.

It was all "poor Coventry, they were the better side and deserved to win.

If that game had happened the other way round, people wouldn't have said we deserved to win, they would have said we scored 2 flukey goals to get back into it.

If that had been Utd getting a penalty for a Coventry player handling like Wan Bissaka did, it would have be a shocking decision, the ref and VAR are corrupt.

And you can be sure as hell if it was us that scored a last minute winner that was offside, noone wouldn't have given a feck and it wouldn't have been the robbery of the century.

I wouldn't have begrudged Coventry the win but they didn't "deserve to win", nor were they the "better team". They came into the game and caused us problems after 70 minutes which we didn't deal with, that's a problem for us, doesn't mean they were particularly great though.
No they didn’t deserve it and it wasn’t robbery, I agree. The reason nobody objectively discusses the game is because of the drama and Uniteds capitulation which was the story.

I get it’s the main focus , but there’s some amount of sh*t being written about that game.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Which manager has been sacked by social media?
I didn't say one had. Social media just amplifies the pressure.You can't deny that results in 89 & early 90 were terrible.Worse than now.The green shoots of recovery were coming though if not seen by most.If Social media had existed would the board have kept faith?

lex talionis

The first Coventry goal can be attributed to poor defending, but the second goal was pure freak and the third goal was a properly called pk although many have argued in good faith that it was not a handball offense. I think it was a handball offense but a reasonable argument could be made that it was not.

That's Coventry's three goals.

Wing Attack Plan R

Forson isn't a #9. He's an AM / Winger.

If we're going to bring a kid on for Hojlund to play up top then I'd rather it be Wheatley. He's an out and out #9 so at least knows the role. He's also come on leaps and bounds this season so would be getting his chance at a good time (2 more goals last night to win the PL Youth Cup Final v City).

It's far from ideal, but he's the only other #9 we have in the squad and while I could understand playing a more senior player out of position there instead of Wheatley - opting for experience - I don't see the point in playing the not much more experienced Forson out of position rather than playing Wheatley in his primary role and where he's currently thriving (albeit at youth level).
I'd be stoked if Wheatley got into the first team, it's just that Forson has played as a forward already in the first team, and making Rasmus play every minute isn't helping anyone.

Bertie Wooster

The game should never even have gone to extra time. The penalty decision was outrageous. It would be embarrassing enough emerging 3-2 winners against Coventry, but taking it to pens relied on some massive shitty intervention from VAR.
Yep. Funny how all the officials talk is about the disallowed goal - which was actually correct, which is why people need to make up 'fresh angles' to try and find a conspiracy.

Whereas the actual debatable decision was Coventry's penalty - where recent no penalty decisions in pretty identical situations suggest it was very soft at best. But no discussion about that of course.

It still doesn't reflect well on us that we let slip a comfortable position to only be 3-2 ahead, but the narrative is being twisted by ignoring how soft / wrong Coventry's injury time penalty was; only really mentioning that Coventry came so close by hitting the bar (as if Bruno's ET effort didn't happen); and looking for a conspiracy in a tight but accurate offside call...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
maybe if he knew what his hands are for... sorry but he's not top class. nowhere near the likes of either city keeper or allison and not even close to martinez
Fair enough, but against Coventry he was one of the better players and saved the penalty which won us the match so - maybe the wrong time to single him out? :)

Last edited:

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 33% of 213 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Coventry win