FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Coventry City 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2024

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We drew 3- 3 with Oldham in 1990.I don't remember our own fans whinging about that back then. Fans used to support the bloody team not whine like entitled bitches.
I was there and yep we didn't fecking whinge and moan, and neither did we in the Final against Palace when Ian Wright scored 2

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We also drew with west brom in fergies last game. The point is, we have been shit for so long, it's become the norm. absolute feckin dross, with a periodical "high" of playing ok football. ten years of shit certainly entitles people to wonder what the feck happened to this club. (not a literal question..we all know what happened. i blame jp mcmanus and his bumboy :lol:
You could also argue that we're at our historical level, aside from 2 periods covered by the Sir's we've been pretty meh!

Red00012

We drew 3- 3 with Oldham in 1990.I don't remember our own fans whinging about that back then. Fans used to support the bloody team not whine like entitled bitches.
2 fans decided to kick the living daylights out of each other in the upper tier after the game so don’t you dare call us fans bitches :drool:

always_hoping

71 minutes played United 3-0 ahead and at that stage Coventry had no shot on target in the game. No other side in the Premier League would have allowed themselves to finish that match at 3-3 and needing a shoot out to progress and that's as much on that group of United players than anything else IMO

berbasloth4

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

we know Casemiro has got caught by Father Time legs gone etc. we only today had one centre back free. Is the obvious emergency centre back not mctominay considering he has played there often enough in youth and for his country??

ETH didnt show right respect??

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Was travelling so only saw the highlights. Coventry scored 1 good goal, 1 lucky deflection and a very dubious penalty.

Take the win, move on.

Josep Dowling

I was there and yep we didn't fecking whinge and moan, and neither did we in the Final against Palace when Ian Wright scored 2
I’m sure many United fans did back then, the difference now is the social media era where with a click of a button you can see millions of fans moaning online.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Can anyone explain why we didn't get the penalty for handball when they did? Coventry defender is jumping with his arm extended, his arm was more out than AWB.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can anyone explain why we didn't get the penalty for handball when they did? Coventry defender is jumping with his arm extended, his arm was more out than AWB.
Nope, well I can, but I don’t want to be called a conspiracy theorist.

SuperSub81

There are so many things to be said about that shambles, but top of the list for me is Antony. You're an absolute disgrace to this club.

didz

There are a lot cnuts on this forum pretending to be United fans it seems to me.Saying we didn't deserve it, wanting everyone sacked, hoping Coventry won in extra time, hoping Coventry won on pens.
All of these comments were made on the match day thread. What a bunch of wusses!
It's football. Teams come back from the dead sometimes, freak goals are scored, bad decisions are made etc etc.
But it's not over till its over.Never throw in the towel.
Name on the trophy.
I think yesterday was a bit of a case of emotional whiplash. Even Bruno and Maguire looked completely dejected with the win after the game.

In the end though, this was nowhere near as bad as it seemed in that moment. A shinnie, a massive deflection, and another soft penalty all happening within 20 minutes would have been a very harsh way to get knocked out.

It's pretty clear that the decision to sub on Antony and Eriksen for Garnacho and Mainoo were what made it so unnecessarily difficult. Both players came on and kept shooting into bodies to give Coventry counter attacks, with Antony's cheap giveaways the catalyst for their second. I have no doubt they were brought on because they're regarded as pretty safe players in possession. Unfortunately they were anything but that yesterday.

Yet we got through anyway and we've proven once again that it doesn't really matter who we play - it's always gonna be a topsy turvy crazy battle that leaves everyone involved breathless. And that's probably not a bad thing going up against City in the final.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I couldn't watch the game live yesterday (agreed to spend the afternoon/evening with some friends ages ago) - so I recorded it, turned my phone notifications off so I woulndn't find out the score with the idea of watching it later (done this a few times this season and it's worked pretty well)

Anyway at my friends house blissfully unaware and at some point my friends dad comes by to pick something up, looks at me and says "Oh you'll be a happy man then!" - Well that's my plan fecked, but still - I figure I'll stick to my plan and watch it without knowing anything, but I'm a bit more relaxed now at least.

Gets to about 11:30 when I can actually watch the game... and low and behold we're 3-0 up and comfortable, so yeah I'm a happy man! Great stuff this.

3-1, agh so they got a consolation, fair enough
3-2... hmm, must have been a nervy finish? Or we scored a fourth?
Penalty... what the feck? Ah this must VAR'd 'cos of Grealish handball!
Nope, 3-3, what the feck is going on....

I then start doing the math and work out I must have saw my mates dad at 5:30, and he was probably in a car for 20 minutes, so he saw probably the score 3-0 and thought - quite reasonably - it was a done deal.

I'm now having feckin' kittens and losing my shit over how crap we are... rest of the game plays out (the offside goal was something else), penalties, we win... and I'm sat there at 2am so nerve-shredded and so feckin' angry that I can't sleep for shit.

So here I am at work, on about 2 hours of sleep, and I'm still angry.

TLDR - United are bad for you.

Last edited:

McTerminator

It’s a good reminder and I agree.

Feels like losing a game here or there was more acceptable before City bought enough players to comprise the two best 11’s in the league and routinely go for 90 plus points.

They have destroyed football.

DavelinaJolie

Made the mistake of listening to TalkSport and a call-in after. Apparently the off-side was questionable and Coventry fans reckoned they deserved to win. Not sure what game I watched because Utd had it in the bag for 70 minutes and Coventry were absolutely awful in the first half.

The end result/collapse may have been embarrassing for Utd but it's not like Coventry were that good.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Made the mistake of listening to TalkSport and a call-in after. Apparently the off-side was questionable and Coventry fans reckoned they deserved to win. Not sure what game I watched because Utd had it in the bag for 70 minutes and Coventry were absolutely awful in the first half.

The end result/collapse may have been embarrassing for Utd but it's not like Coventry were that good.
And we were so unbelivably shit for the next 60 minutes that yeah, Coventry probably did deserve to win.

In fact we were pretty much straight garbage from 60 minutes onwards.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
How can we not maintain possession when needed to, even with this fancy gk is beyond me.
Because the people in front of him can't keep possession. Two thick full backs, Maguire, McT, Bruno, Rashford. One is too many and we have most of the team completely clueless about possession. I've been saying it for ages - these are not players suited for modern football. It's Mourinho/Oleball or nothing with them. Sit back deep and kick it long to Rashy. ETH thought they'll change - they'll never change.

Jeffthered

As soon as they stopped sitting back in their own box they were the better team. Says it all.
Exactly. And we have seen this time, and time, and time again, all season. We cannot control a game, never even look close to it. Coventry, Luton Town, Sheff Utd.. I have watched these teams clearly, easily outplay us this season. That's not down to injuries.

That's poor coaching. Simple as that.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think yesterday was a bit of a case of emotional whiplash. Even Bruno and Maguire looked completely dejected with the win after the game.

In the end though, this was nowhere near as bad as it seemed in that moment. A shinnie, a massive deflection, and another soft penalty all happening within 20 minutes would have been a very harsh way to get knocked out.

It's pretty clear that the decision to sub on Antony and Eriksen for Garnacho and Mainoo were what made it so unnecessarily difficult. Both players came on and kept shooting into bodies to give Coventry counter attacks, with Antony's cheap giveaways the catalyst for their second. I have no doubt they were brought on because they're regarded as pretty safe players in possession. Unfortunately they were anything but that yesterday.

Yet we got through anyway and we've proven once again that it doesn't really matter who we play - it's always gonna be a topsy turvy crazy battle that leaves everyone involved breathless. And that's probably not a bad thing going up against City in the final.
This argument would have a lot more merit if the complete mental collapse didn't happen in pretty much every game we have a lead. If it was just a one-off people would chalk it up to craziness and look forward to the final, but seeing it happen again against such a limited team has understandably cracked a lot of folk.

jasveron

I think if ETH took off McTominay instead of Mainoo (for Eriksen), it would make a huge difference. McTominay was pretty much invisible anyway. Also, I don't agree that Eriksen was as bad as some people said. He provided some composure and control. However, the match was already very chaotic on the pitch since the first conceded goal. Keeping Mainoo could have provided a much better defensive presence.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
So I couldn't watch the game live yesterday (agreed to spend the afternoon/evening with some friends ages ago) - so I recorded it, turned my phone notifications off so I woulndn't find out the score with the idea of watching it later (done this a few times this season and it's worked pretty well)

Anyway at my friends house blissfully unaware and at some point my friends dad comes by to pick something up, looks at me and says "Oh you'll be a happy man then!" - Well that's my plan fecked, but still - I figure I'll stick to my plan and watch it without knowing anything, but I'm a bit more relaxed now at least.

Gets to about 11:30 when I can actually watch the game... and low and behold we're 3-0 up and comfortable, so yeah I'm a happy man! Great stuff this.

I then start doing the Math and work out I must have saw my mates dad at 5:30, and he was probably in a car for 20 minutes, so he saw probably the score 3-0 and thought - quite reasonably - it was a done deal.

I'm now having feckin' kittens and losing my shit over how crap we are... rest of the game plays out (the offside goal was something else), penalties, we win... and I'm sat there at 2am so nerve-shredded and feckin' angry I can't sleep for shit.

So here I am at work, on about 2 hours of sleep, and I'm still angyr.

Enjoyed this story :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s worth pointing out that yes whilst we bring pressure upon ourselves, the second and third goals were just utter bollocks. As we’ve had to deal with a lot recently.

The flukiest deflected goal you’ll see (also see Cole Palmer’s winner, Harvey Elliot & MacAllister’s goals) and then a terrible pen decision (see also the two Palmer pens in the league, Elliot’s dive in the league game)

didz

This argument would have a lot more merit if the complete mental collapse didn't happen in pretty much every game we have a lead. If it was just a one-off people would chalk it up to craziness and look forward to the final, but seeing it happen again against such a limited team has understandably cracked a lot of folk.
That's a very, very fair comment. I think all I can really say is that all of our collapses and leads lost over the last few weeks have happened when the two players I've mentioned were withdrawn.

It's crazy that we seem to be so reliant on a pair of teenagers, but it's becoming a common theme that when we don't have Mainoo to move the ball and Garnacho as an outlet, we instantly look more vulnerable.

Edit: Mainoo did play the 90 against Chelsea, but Garnacho came off having played arguably his best match of the season up to that point.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I then start doing the math and work out I must have saw my mates dad at 5:30, and he was probably in a car for 20 minutes, so he saw probably the score 3-0 and thought - quite reasonably - it was a done deal.

I'm now having feckin' kittens and losing my shit over how crap we are... rest of the game plays out (the offside goal was something else), penalties, we win... and I'm sat there at 2am so nerve-shredded and so feckin' angry that I can't sleep for shit.

So here I am at work, on about 2 hours of sleep, and I'm still angry.

I find if they are bad I actually sleep well. It is when we play well and I am elated I can't sleep. I have slept well this season.

McTerminator

I have been seeing an awful lot of narrative online suggesting that we have somehow cheated our way through and gotten a favourable refereeing decision. This is mostly centered around the offside goal which is incredibly tight.

However, nobody is talking about the penalty decision at 3-2… There were three identical penalty decisions to be made this weekend being the one in our game, Everton v Forest and City v Chelsea. All three incidents are almost materially identical and yet only one of the three was given as a penalty. About the fifth soft penalty against us in the last few weeks as well.

So I wondered does anyone know why this is just ignored when considering the balance of the referee impact on our game and why we keep conceding the softest of soft penalties!?

My personal theory is that ETH has given PGMOL licence to do so by never calling these decisions out. By way of comparison, Klopp forever calls officials out and gets his way, Pep the same, Arteta writes open letters, SAF used to absolutely end people and Jose once told Phil Dowd he was too fat to keep up with play… It was an essential skill and Erik doesn’t seem to have it.

Thoughts?

Jeffthered

I have been seeing an awful lot of narrative online suggesting that we have somehow cheated our way through and gotten a favourable refereeing decision. This is mostly centered around the offside goal which is incredibly tight.

However, nobody is talking about the penalty decision at 3-2… There were three identical penalty decisions to be made this weekend being the one in our game, Everton v Forest and City v Chelsea. All three incidents are almost materially identical and yet only one of the three was given as a penalty. About the fifth soft penalty against us in the last few weeks as well.

So I wondered does anyone know why this is just ignored when considering the balance of the referee impact on our game and why we keep conceding the softest of soft penalties!?

My personal theory is that ETH has given PGMOL licence to do so by never calling these decisions out. By way of comparison, Klopp forever calls officials out and gets his way, Pep the same, Arteta writes open letters, SAF used to absolutely end people and Jose once told Phil Dowd he was too fat to keep up with play… It was an essential skill and Erik doesn’t seem to have it.

Thoughts?
I think this conspiracy-creep amongst some managers, players, fans, pundits is silly. VAR is still settling in, yes, still after a couple of seasons. That's all. It's frustrating, and there are inconsistencies, but we have to accept it. Notts' Forest outburst yesterday was daft.

We concede penalities because we have defenders, who are limited in their ability, but more importantly, we have no defensive structure to our team. After they made it 3-1 (also a sloppy goal to concede...) Coventry looked dangerous every time the ball was turned over to them.

That's why we concede penalties.

Lentwood

Unconscious bias.

Officials are told relentlessly that they favour United, and this seeps into their subconscious. Therefore they avoid giving us anything that's potentially contentious and set a lower bar for decisions against us.

That's why we always have the marginal decisions go against us and especially so this season because of the huge fuss made over the Onana incident vs Wolves

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It’s worth pointing out that yes whilst we bring pressure upon ourselves, the second and third goals were just utter bollocks. As we’ve had to deal with a lot recently.

The flukiest deflected goal you’ll see (also see Cole Palmer’s winner, Harvey Elliot & MacAllister’s goals) and then a terrible pen decision (see also the two Palmer pens in the league, Elliot’s dive in the league game)
It is flukey obviously, but I also think the way AWB chooses to block the shot is so bad, you're basically inviting something unliucky to happen.

If you're going to try block a shot you have to do it with force, you can't dangle a lazy-leg or turn your back like that - you're asking for it to loop in.

If anything our 3rd goal was more flukey, as their defender was at least trying to make a decent block.

didz

Thoughts?
Yeah I think that's kind of fair. He does try to call them out on the pitch, but he just gets cautioned for the slightest of outbursts compared to his peers. It's clear that the place to fight the officials is in the media though, and it's a little depressing that he doesn't seem to get that.

But then you see people having a go at us for Onana taking a bit of time for a restart, or Bruno getting lambasted for going down when the shit gets kicked out of him every week and you wonder if we're somehow expected to be held to some weird moral standard. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the players and staff are shit scared of the refs and their organisation.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

This.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Casemiro asleep for their first goal.You see Dalot shouting at him to cover just before the cross comes in.
But we are playing with a makeshift defence all season virtually.Thrse things will happen.
I think Arsenal have had the same back 4 for 30 consecutive games! That's the difference.
Also is it just me or does AWB look like he doesn't give a fook? Far too casual.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 33% of 213 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Coventry win
  • Draw