FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Coventry City 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2024

Stig

I'd take anyone at this point. Pardew, Ole, Big Sam, Lampard (OK maybe not Lampard).
Totally agree with you but,well, not Pardew and not Big Sam. And well, we've had Olé.

But I agree with everything you said

BorisManUtd

If we lost those penalty shoot-outs I don't think I'd be able to watch us again this season. Horror show from 70th minute until the penalties. Coventry's 1st goal is terrible as no one is covering Simms so that was already frustrating. Second goal is a fluke but you could say that about our 3rd as well, though their was weirder. Then AWB making another penalty recently. Shock after shock.

Thank god they got 4th goal disallowed because that would've been too much. Also great penalties apart from Casemiro who was trying to Copy Bernardo Silva from the other night.

Think our chances vs City in the final are even smaller than last season when they were on their way to the treble, unfortunately. Avoid embarassing ourselves if we can.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The most damming thing about this team is if you'd told me before the game we'd be 3-0 up midway through the second half and end up having to win on penalties after a 3-3 draw, I'd have had no reason to doubt it. If anything it juat sounds like a natural progression of the season.

Where as if you'd said we'd be 3-0 up and seen the game out without incident I'd have called bullshit.

Now we have to wait to find out whethet winning the penalties avoided or created the biggest embarrassment of the season.

NiceGuyEddie

So angry we couldn't hold onto a 3-0 lead. My initial reaction was sympathy for Coventry City, but on reflection, their first goal came out of nowhere, their second was jammy and the pen was harsh, so not arsed for them anymore.

BorisManUtd

So angry we couldn't hold onto a 3-0 lead. My initial reaction was sympathy for Coventry City, but on reflection, their first goal came out of nowhere, their second was jammy and the pen was harsh, so not arsed for them anymore.
Yeah first one was also basically a mishit from Simms. But they showed great determination to come back and raised their energy, while it looked like our players lost their heads. I don't blame players for bottling a 3-0 lead today, I'm blaming them for losing leads and conceding bunch of goals all the time this whole season. It looked all too familiar too all of us.

MyDevil

Never felt embarrass and not celebrate after a win. That's how bad it is.

redmanx

ETH is slated for overplaying young players, the game should be dead and buried at 3-0 with 20 to go, in hindsight it looks terrible but in the context of the match at that point it made sense, Rashford though, that's a different matter, he should been off at half time
Rashford should have been on the bench from the start.

redmanx

VAR is a joke, and a sick joke at that. Chelsea should have had a pen for hand ball against City, but it was turned down and then, for a similar but completely innocent offence today by Wan Bissaka Coventry are gifted a pen. There is no consistency, no rhyme and no reason to the deliberations of VAR. Of course, a more cynical person might say that City and Pep, like Liverpool and Klopp are more often than not given the benefit of the doubt regarding VAR.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
There are a lot cnuts on this forum pretending to be United fans it seems to me.Saying we didn't deserve it, wanting everyone sacked, hoping Coventry won in extra time, hoping Coventry won on pens.
All of these comments were made on the match day thread. What a bunch of wusses!
It's football. Teams come back from the dead sometimes, freak goals are scored, bad decisions are made etc etc.
But it's not over till its over.Never throw in the towel.
Name on the trophy.
C O R R E C T. We need a place to chat about games free of those whiny pr*cks. Internet warriors. Supporters in Wembley were great. Fluky and gutsy in equal measure Coventry, they gave it a great go. Let’s beat UAE 115

Reiver

Just watching highlights on MOTD. It was nice to see the Coventry fans joy turn to dust when the goal was disallowed for offside and we won on penalties.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Matterface is just awful. To think what ITV’s commentary was like in the late 90’s with Moore then Tyldesley, now they’ve got that melt and decided to put Dixon beside him.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I went to sleep with 3-0 thinking that it would be 4 or 5. Wow, I must say 3-3 and reaching final with penalties. ETH must be sack, he is the worst manger in the history on United. I don't care if he won a cup and finish 3rd last season. As far as I am concern, he is shit. Rashford is so poor, one of the worst player on the pitch yet he continues playing. No manager in this world would allow a passenger in a team. We are playing with a man down every game. ETH buy a ticket and get out of United.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I went to sleep with 3-0 thinking that it would be 4 or 5. Wow, I must say 3-3 and reaching final with penalties. ETH must be sack, he is the worst manger in the history on United. I don't care if he won a cup and finish 3rd last season. As far as I am concern, he is shit. Rashford is so poor, one of the worst player on the pitch yet he continues playing. No manager in this world would allow a passenger in a team. We are playing with a man down every game. ETH buy a ticket and get out of United.
Yep, the fact he keeps playing Rashford shows he has no clue. It's almost as if he wants to sabotage the season.

I've said this before, we could have a decent attack if Mount plays on the left and Amad on the right. Garnacho is hot and cold, but Rashford and Antony offer nothing and they play match after match.

Stop this insanity!

Stig

Felt like Karma for the absolute BS penalty in normal time.

I think if you look where the ball hit him and where his arm was you would say no penalty.

But the indicent begins with Awb having both his arms out wide like airplane wings.

Then as the ball comes at him he drops his right arm down and behind him, BUT he's moved his arm from outstretched inwards, and therefore towards the ball, so it's given. His left arm remains outstretched in airplane wing mode.

So I see why it's given.

I don't think I've ever see a player decide to defend a cross in his penalty area starting with both arms stretched out as wide as possible.

He is an incredibly thick individual.

Stig

I reckon that offside was only given cos of the dodgy penalty against us to begin with. I’d be fuming if it was the other way around.
He was offside. The lines show it. You could see it even without the lines. Unlucky for CC but the correct decisions

I don't think that the penalty was dodgy. See my comment above.

Partridge

Rashford; the place attacks go to die.

I was out this afternoon, endured a tedious gathering with no internet/phone activity and saw the match on a watch again. Utterly diabolical. They literally walked through us from the start of the second half and they had decent chances in the first. We are so poor I multiple positions.
you watched the match on a watch? :lol: christ that's commitment. you must have the eyes of a german badger...

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We have drawn / lost from winning positions 3-4 times this month, every single time he does the same thing, we go 1 or 2 up he takes garnacho off and possibly mainoo off, rashford is in shit form so we all lose all attacking threat / pace meaning the other team pushes up with no risk.

It’s bad enough against Chelsea and Liverpool it’s an absolute disgrace against a championship side.
“Oh look this exact move has gone wrong multiple times for me I’ll do it again”
We drew 3- 3 with Oldham in 1990.I don't remember our own fans whinging about that back then. Fans used to support the bloody team not whine like entitled bitches.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I think if you look where the ball hit him and where his arm was you would say no penalty.

But the indicent begins with Awb having both his arms out wide like airplane wings.

Then as the ball comes at him he drops his right arm down and behind him, BUT he's moved his arm from outstretched inwards, and therefore towards the ball, so it's given. His left arm remains outstretched in airplane wing mode.

So I see why it's given.

I don't think I've ever see a player decide to defend a cross in his penalty area starting with both arms stretched out as wide as possible.

He is an incredibly thick individual.
Ashley Young did much the same in the Everton/Forest game , no pen. Grealish yesterday no.pen. It's all BS.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Yeah I know what you mean.

This is the first time this season we've witnessed this type of game from these players

It's not like we've looked consistently out of control against every team we play against, from the mighty Manchester City right down to the lowly Newport County. I don't know why people are giving them such a hard time.
What about the Liverpool game? Were you whinging then? Grow up ta feck.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
We have drawn / lost from winning positions 3-4 times this month, every single time he does the same thing, we go 1 or 2 up he takes garnacho off and possibly mainoo off, rashford is in shit form so we all lose all attacking threat / pace meaning the other team pushes up with no risk.

It’s bad enough against Chelsea and Liverpool it’s an absolute disgrace against a championship side.
“Oh look this exact move has gone wrong multiple times for me I’ll do it again”
Maybe he knows best ? Do you know what's going on within the squad? Maybe you should just support the team too!

Partridge

We drew 3- 3 with Oldham in 1990.I don't remember our own fans whinging about that back then. Fans used to support the bloody team not whine like entitled bitches.
We also drew with west brom in fergies last game. The point is, we have been shit for so long, it's become the norm. absolute feckin dross, with a periodical "high" of playing ok football. ten years of shit certainly entitles people to wonder what the feck happened to this club. (not a literal question..we all know what happened. i blame jp mcmanus and his bumboy :lol:

OmarUnited4ever

I thought it was a wrap after Bruno's goal, and I went to sleep.

I just woke up and Coventry almost won :lol::lol::lol:

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Wow just saw the highlights, what an amazing game for the neutral. Coventry were fantastic and it makes you wonder if they didn't sit back early on, things might have been different. Cup competitions always have an element of chaos and unpredictability but I never thought they'd claw themselves back from 3-0 with 30 minutes to go.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Couldn't catch the match today, just saw the extended highlights. Seemed like one way traffic for the most part and then an implosion. What's the take on the conceded goals? First one who is most at fault, AWB, Maguire or Casemiro? I thought the second one was the most strange as it seems Onana has ample time to save that but hesitates, it's not like he's wrong footed. Third one can go either way, we've seen those be pens and allowed all season.

Kinda felt for them at the end there with that disallowed goal given the euphoria that must have been, but delighted we're in the final of course.

Watching that bench we had, five youngsters with virtually no experience and a slow as feck backline (including AWB in that) a haphazard midfield, I can't say I expected this match to be easy. But of course 3-0 up and that golden chance to make it 4-0 (Maguire and Garnacho in the same attack) is criminal really. The mentality is just so far from a top side.

Relieved.

croadyman

Maybe he knows best ? Do you know what's going on within the squad? Maybe you should just support the team too!
£5 says you are definitely Erik in considering you are taking shots at everyone embarrassed by the result but happy to be proved wrong

lex talionis

We scraped the win, but dropping a 3-0 lead to a Championship side warrants concern.

leeroyTX

the handball was a 50/50 decision and highlights the lack of consistency in applying the law (looking at the Grealish decision yesterday), for me it’s harsh. Regarding the offside, whilst I agree, If we’re giving offside for being a toe offside then it defeats the purpose off the game
50/50 and right vs wrong is not the same thing. The Grealish non-call was simply wrong. The AWV call was correct. Neither were calls that should’ve/could’ve gone either way. Just the Grealish one was terrible and incorrect.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There it is, the predictable "SAF also had a similar result at some point in his 26 year tenure" reply.

IRELANDUNITED

Didn’t get to watch the game live as I was at a GAA match but my god the mood is bad. There can’t ever have been an FA Cup semi final victory that has felt more like a defeat in the history of the competition. Compared this to say when we beat Arsenal in 99, my god, this is grim.

ManRed

Saying for months the manager needs the sack. Didn't watch as cant be bothered with this manager and team. No surprise the way game played out

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Watch, we'll win and ETH will get sacked.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
you watched the match on a watch? :lol: christ that's commitment. you must have the eyes of a german badger...
I watched the EURO final on an iPhone 6 in 35C heat in my car with the A/C running because we were in the middle of a 3 day power cut!

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 33% of 213 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Coventry win
  • Draw