PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 May 2015

Spoony

The People's President
I don't agree. Fergie wanted at least one more European Cup. I thought that after Rome, he'd demand a big transfer kitty but that never transpired and we lost another final that we might have won had he strengthened the side. Water under the bridge now but the rebuilding job now in progress illustrates to me that Fergie had to make do and mend.

I agree. Also SEP mentioned RVP, I think that was actually proof that we only had eyes on players that fitted a certain transfer structure. £24m for the best striker in the PL was a bloody bargain, I doubt we'd have forked out...say £40m had not been in the last year of his contract. In a nutshell, all the stars aligned. Or something. And last season was an eye opener for the management which is why we've been flashing the cheque book since January last year. No more budget buys, we're desperate.

Spoony

The People's President
Woody works for them. I believe the Glazers are buiding the club up to be sold..probabaly to the Quatar group....

they will pack us up with big stars... expect us to be sold in a couple of years.

I think they know we have to remain competitive or else it's going to be difficult to maximize our revenue.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think they know we have to remain competitive or else it's going to be difficult to maximize our revenue.
sure. They want to make as much as they can. But the Glazers are investors. Their aim is not to run a football club..certainly not a high profile one like ours. They hardly show their faces with anything to do with the club. This will be their best deal.....they will make tons from people who will know feck all about the club....

the younger fans will love all the Galacticos....

ah well. nothing remains forever...

Spoony

The People's President
sure. They want to make as much as they can. But the Glazers are investors. Their aim is not to run a football club..certainly not a high profile one like ours. They hardly show their faces with anything to do with the club. This will be their best deal.....they will make tons from people who will know feck all about the club....

Well, yes, it's their cash cow, so why sell when there's more money to be made. That said, if it's going to cost too much to have us amongst the European heavyweights again, they could look to sell.

Stretford End Phil

Woody works for them. I believe the Glazers are buiding the club up to be sold..probabaly to the Quatar group....

they will pack us up with big stars... expect us to be sold in a couple of years.
Yep. I agree with you but I think we're going to be candidates for franchising. Not certain but have been tracking the NYSE movements and the recent noise about the OT name that lead me to that conclusion. The Glazers are not sentimental and don't see what United means to Manchester people especially. I think govenments and FIFA need to protect football teams', their traditions, and their role in local communities. This not an attack on fans outside Manchester it's just observations about the need for clubs to make money but also remain locked into their locales.

Red Dreams

Yep. I agree with you but I think we're going to be candidates for franchising. Not certain but have been tracking the NYSE movements and the recent noise about the OT name that lead me to that conclusion. The Glazers are not sentimental and don't see what United means to Manchester people especially. I think govenments and FIFA need to protect football teams', their traditions, and their role in local communities. This not an attack on fans outside Manchester it's just observations about the need for clubs to make money but also remain locked into their locales.
mate... lets just give up.....

Stretford End Phil

Well, yes, it's their cash cow, so why sell when there's more money to be made. That said, if it's going to cost too much to have us amongst the European heavyweights again, they could look to sell.
I would argue with you that it's not a true cash cow in the business model sense. It's tied to a community, and has strong liabilities that require servicing. It's really an institution and a brand that makes money. It's also more than just a cash cow because it demands regular investments to retain and add to its value...IMO

Crashoutcassius

They're investors who are making plenty of money from the club already. They've paid 100s of millions of dividends and only put up something like half the cash for the club in the first pace, it was mostly funded by debt. If they held the club for 20 more years they'd be very rich men

Stretford End Phil

we have already lost it....

none of us can control what happens now. Its a matter of how much the Glazers get from whom.

Sure I will still watch United...but I'll be more interested in FC United.
I understand and largely agree with you but too old school to give over. There is a growing trend against taking clubs out of their communities. I remain hopeful but maybe that's a stupid call.

Red Dreams

They're investors who are making plenty of money from the club already. They've paid 100s of millions of dividends and only put up something like half the cash for the club in the first pace, it was mostly funded by debt. If they held the club for 20 more years they'd be very rich men
what you say is true. But would I want to be hanging on to something with all that hatrad coming my way? I could make a lot more money now by selling the club now instead of waiting all those years.
I hope for all of us supporters your scenario is the more likely.

Times have changed....we cannot go back.

Stretford End Phil

fully understand where you are coming from mate. But whatever happens they can never take away our memories.
I should have known where things were leading when I found myself surrounded by foreign businessmen waiting for Bobby Charlton to come out back in the 90s. I hang on to my STs for the memories, sentimental is really stupid but what's the cure?

Crashoutcassius

what you say is true. But would I want to be hanging on to something with all that hatrad coming my way? I could make a lot more money now by selling the club now instead of waiting all those years.
I hope for all of us supporters your scenario is the more likely.

Times have changed....we cannot go back.
I don't know if they'd make a lot more money by selling the club considering they'd have to pay off the debts.

Anyway, we're through by far the toughest part of the glazer period. We averaged 17m transfer net spend in fergies final 10 years. Now they have made us 3x as profitable as when they came, lowered the debt burden massively and we enter the age of FFP. I don't think the hate will continue if we get back on top of europe

Red Dreams

I should have known where things were leading when I found myself surrounded by foreign businessmen waiting for Bobby Charlton to come out back in the 90s. I hang on to my STs for the memories, sentimental is really stupid but what's the cure?
not stupid at all mate. we have invested our lives in the club...we the supporters are the club...I never trusted owners. Old man Edwards was ok I suppose....but his son...he is the one I cannot stand. He could have made an allocation of say 10% of the ownership to only go to season ticket holders...At least we would have a voice. But the club was sold right from under us.

If we are lucky enough to get an owner who has some love/recognition for the history of the club...we may have a hope. Now I give to MUST...the dumbest thing we can do is alientate owners no matter how justifield we may feel.

Red Dreams

I don't know if they'd make a lot more money by selling the club considering they'd have to pay off the debts.

Anyway, we're through by far the toughest part of the glazer period. We averaged 17m transfer net spend in fergies final 10 years. Now they have made us 3x as profitable as when they came, lowered the debt burden massively and we enter the age of FFP. I don't think the hate will continue if we get back on top of europe

we will always be owned by somebody...so hopefully what you say is how it turns out.

yamo123x

Get in. One of the worst games I've seen from us all season to be honest, and on top of that Rooney and shaw got injured. No idea how we won that but thank feck we did.

Young, De Gea and Valencia the only 3 who had good performances really. The rest were all well below par
Valencia????!! You must be joking surely he was the stand out worst player got slaughtered defensively gave silly free kicks away and cannot cross his legs!

C'est Moi Cantona

Just when I thought the anxiety I have felt during games this season couldn't be topped they mange to offer up this age reducing game, but we did it, I am still alive, and it's all good.

On a side note all the final day games could have nothing on them, top 4 sorted, 5-7 potentially sorted, and if results go against Hull next week then relegation sorted.

Stretford End Phil

not stupid at all mate. we have invested our lives in the club...we the supporters are the club...I never trusted owners. Old man Edwards was ok I suppose....but his son...he is the one I cannot stand. He could have made an allocation of say 10% of the ownership to only go to season ticket holders...At least we would have a voice. But the club was sold right from under us.

If we are lucky enough to get an owner who has some love/recognition for the history of the club...we may have a hope. Now I give to MUST...the dumbest thing we can do is alientate owners no matter how justifield we may feel.
Son Edwards often told City execs that he preferred rugby and their kinds of supporters. He was a plastic and a disgrace. Andy Mitten was on his case in the 90s, pity he didn't press it. Nobody was thinking of the fans and their loyalty. Tommy Doc told me after the Norwich game when we got relegated the players found it hard to face us, and were determined to get back. By 92 that sentiment was gone and fans became a secondary consideration to corporate sponsors and the stock exchange. My loyalty lies with the spirit of the club, the squad and fellow fans. I pay the monies but that is going on over 30 years - horrible thought! Btw I hope FCU make it and the lads success, I'm still not ready to jump ship, gutless I suppose.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This is pure bs. The football we played this season was some of the best of the past 7 years. And that says a lot since most matches were still pretty bad.

The last SAF 5-6 years under SAF (with the exception of like 3-4 months in 2012 i think) was an absolute nightmare football wise, result wise it was like always phenomenal.

The amount of times i was ashamed to win and celebrate a victory...oh dear. There was no difference in how Chelsea wins titles, and how we did back then. Glad as feck we are now aiming to atleast play good football. And i happily watch us fail and learn for another year if thats what is needed.
We played well for 1 month, and that was only up to the standard we'd come to usually expect in the past 5-6 years. The only thing out of character from what we'd regularly produce under Fergie was that we actually turned up for a game at Anfield.

Using twatty phrases like "pure bs" to try and pretend otherwise doesn't make it true. Our football this season (and last) has been the worst since at least 2004.

This PL season as a whole has been the worst I can remember for a long time. We've repeatedly won games where our performance level has been comically bad. Yesterday was another example, but you can add Southampton away to that list. Burnley at home, Newcastle away, Palace at home, West Ham at home, Stoke at home, Arsenal away, Liverpool at home, basically every FA cup game, etc.

Then there's the games we haven't won to add to that list.

I watch United this season fully expecting a terrible performance. The idea that this was ever the case under Fergie is just plain fantasy. At worst under Fergie I'd expect an uninspiring performance.

Arguing that you expect an improvement is one thing, but just pretending to see things that aren't happening is pointless.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
At the end of the day 3pts is 3pts, at least we get things done and the pressure is off.

I hope our players will be relaxed coming against Arsenal and produce good things. We might be able to snatch 3rd and get the qualification out of the picture.

"Win against arse and you'll have one week extended holidays la"

Rezyuz

We played well for 1 month, and that was only up to the standard we'd come to usually expect in the past 5-6 years. The only thing out of character from what we'd regularly produce under Fergie was that we actually turned up for a game at Anfield.

Using twatty phrases like "pure bs" to try and pretend otherwise doesn't make it true. Our football this season (and last) has been the worst since at least 2004.

This PL season as a whole has been the worst I can remember for a long time. We've repeatedly won games where our performance level has been comically bad. Yesterday was another example, but you can add Southampton away to that list. Burnley at home, Newcastle away, Palace at home, West Ham at home, Stoke at home, Arsenal away, Liverpool at home, basically every FA cup game, etc.

Then there's the games we haven't won to add to that list.

I watch United this season fully expecting a terrible performance. The idea that this was ever the case under Fergie is just plain fantasy. At worst under Fergie I'd expect an uninspiring performance.

Arguing that you expect an improvement is one thing, but just pretending to see things that aren't happening is pointless.
You are just a person who bases "good football" on result instead of actually playing good football.

Dr Fink

A woeful second half. We got away with it. Really, really poor for me after a promising first half. United are not consistent enough and this game summed up our season in a nutshell.

Ashley Young was probably our best player - the only player who takes defenders on and mostly delivers a decent cross. why can't Falcao get on the end of them? Positionally he's all over the place - the wrong place at the wrong time. Young deserves more credit than he gets from posters on here.

Jonny Evans played like a novice. A back-up defender at best for us.

Depay will give us another option - he takes players on. Imagine that - a winger on each side, capable of beating a man an delivering a cross. (Remember Becks and Giggs? I could have scored 30 goals in those seasons, as a striker!)

Credit to "average" Palace, who gave us a run for our money - a draw would have been a fair result. Yes, we are in the CL and our "keep the ball" style will be suited to Europe, but can we score goals in Europe? That remains to be seen without 3-4 personnel changes.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 53% of 725 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw