PL W FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 14 December 2016

Oyibo

As mentioned by Mr Helsinki above, the knee high challenge on Bailly was a disgrace, soon after him receiving treatment for it.

So pre-meditated, should have been a red card.

Rojo is going to get a reputation for himself though, and soon will be sent off for nothing....

After the handball and disallowed goal, I immediately felt sorry for Mou, who would be having to pretend he didn't see injustices again. Thankfully it was all irrelevant, come final score :)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ref was poor for both sides, nothing wrong with Matas goal and we should of had a stonewall pen, but Rojo should of been sent off early doors.

Looks like it's all beginning to click on the pitch.
Considering how little pace we had in our forward line,it was a deserved if hard earned performance. Zlatan was excellent.

OK there were a couple of crucial decisions that, had Pawson made may have changed the score but not the result IMO; Lee could have had a red and if that had been shown then Rojo goes. After that Pawson lost confidence and was poor though the Mata non offside can hardly be considered his fault.

It's going to be a lot harder against WBA and I hope we have a couple of quicker players to support Zlatan

John Blund

I felt it was a game of poor passing for us. Pogba and Blind went for the same balls, and searched the same rooms. I'd rather have Shaw there and Blind as CB with Smalling or that other new beast. The one with Skrtel light on is arm. I love his photo in the player ratings..

LouisDanGaal

A lunge and a miss is not a red. For the last time; if Rojo had caught him, it was a stonewall sending off. Since he didn't and Zaha dove, it was rightly called differently.
That's not the rule. It is dangerous because Zaha has to rejig his feet to avoid the tackle if he doesn't he takes the hit. I don't necessarily agree it should be a red, just that it is.

Oyibo

That's not the rule. It is dangerous because Zaha has to rejig his feet to avoid the tackle if he doesn't he takes the hit. I don't necessarily agree it should be a red, just that it is.
Unless its United, Pogba avoids a tackle and gets a yellow bloody card

iHicksy

Pogba's concentration levels need to improve for consitency sake. He played a few really, really bad passes and I think it stems from an arrogance about his game. Don't get me wrong I like that he is confident but he needs to harness it better, every game he hangs on to the ball for too long when surrounded by players, or tries to trick his way through 2-3 players when he should have released the ball. But then he put in some incredible passes and plays elsewhere, when he cuts out the mistakes he'll be one hell of a player for us.
Rojo and Jones were fantastic (although Rojo is getting sent off within the next 5 or so games). Bailey looked immense on the right, he was a like for like replacement for valencia, they couldn't get near him or strong arm him off the ball. Looked really handy on the ball going forward as well. Blind gave a standard performance, decent in defence but offered nothing going forward.
Herrera was everywhere as always, Carrick normal 8/10 performance, Zlatan had a realy good game. Would have liked to see a bit more from Mata, he didn't light things up after being used to Miki's performances on the right. What I really like about this Mourinho team, apart from the physicality is that we seem to be getting some fight, our heads don't drop after conceeding a goal anymore and there seems to be a belief in the team that we'll score. It's nice to see.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fryers career has gone downhill since he basically stood up Sir Alex. This pleases me.
Yeah, it pleases me not because he stood up SAF but the way he left with all the cheap drama with Spurs and other foreign club to avoid compensation.

iHicksy

Also, my God. That linesman needs to be relegated from the prem. Buckled under the pressure of the home crowd and could have cost us.

MrBest

I think the first 40 minutes of the game we were so boring and slow. Lack of pace and playing possession football did not help.

Ref was rubbish; decisions against both sides so I cannot really complain. We should have been down to 10 men, they should have had a few more yellows, we should not have been up 1 goal at half time, we should have had a penalty and Mata should of scored. Awful performance and I find it so annoying that they are massively protected when they do a bad job.

All in all I think this was a confidence win. Hopefully we can win the next 3 or 4 games on the bounce and get a good set of results going. Apart from City away and Liverpool at home, we have a good run of games.

Credit to the players; its not easy playing the amount of games that we have played and the strange timings of them. Sunday, Thurs, Sunday, Weds. The last three were wins so credit where due. After West Brom on Sat (this will be a challenge), we have a good 9 day break (bad for us viewers) before the next game.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Also, my God. That linesman needs to be relegated from the prem. Buckled under the pressure of the home crowd and could have cost us.
Linesman fecked up, but Howard Webb and BT Sport offered the opinion that the decision against Mata was correct. Rojo was jumping with a defender, but they drew the offside line from his boot (not his position projected onto the ground). Pathetic.

Danillaco

I don't think Pogba is the man of the match. To me, his performance is average. Many misplaced pass, unable to pick up players. A good win, let's string some wins together and see where we stand come January.
Agree so much with this. Even chatted with a guy on twitter who had sais it was a Mint Performance by Pogba.

I thought he was poor for the majority of the game, with flashes of brilliance. But in the end, was utterly decisive. Good on him to have this, and build confidence.

Danillaco

It was a good game after all, but I felt we should have played Mata more. He's very creative and he was missed yesterday, especially substituting a guy that has a incredibly positive game.

Tincanalley

The BBC (MOTD) interpreted the scene differently, using a different camera angle. It shows that a really brilliant goal was denied credit by poor officiating. (To be completely nerdy about it, their line should be a bit tighter to Mata, as the defenders feet were also off the ground. It was close, but never offside. What a leap Rojo makes, by the way, perfect timing by Mata, too.

Stactix

The thing is, Ibra was pretty much blocking the Linesmans view of Mata. Atleast that's what I gathered.
Which could explain why he thought it was offside?
But there is no fecking way, he saw Matas boot was offside. Seeing as he got the Pogba decision wrong and that was a much easier decision to call. So the fact the media / BT are analysing this as a good call by linesman shows their agenda.
They wouldn't of done this for any other team.
You could probably crawl through all the goals this season and disallow a dozen or so where the 'boot was slightly offside'

daveyjones

It's been a long time since I've seen such horrendous refereeing. Not biased by any means, just bad.

Tincanalley

The thing is, Ibra was pretty much blocking the Linesmans view of Mata. Atleast that's what I gathered.
Which could explain why he thought it was offside?
But there is no fecking way, he saw Matas boot was offside. Seeing as he got the Pogba decision wrong and that was a much easier decision to call. So the fact the media / BT are analysing this as a good call by linesman shows their agenda.
They wouldn't of done this for any other team.
You could probably crawl through all the goals this season and disallow a dozen or so where the 'boot was slightly offside'
Ibra is behind Mata and the linesman is on the right wing, so Ibra isn't blocking his view, in fact linesman is well placed. And no part of Mata is offside, not even a boot, that's only achived by wrongly interpreting the images. Admittedly it happened very, very fast; linesman's job, which asks him to make sense of what is happening at the millisecond the ball is played, is a hellish difficult one.

Jaxdan

Ibra is behind Mata and the linesman is on the right wing, so Ibra isn't blocking his view, in fact linesman is well placed. And no part of Mata is offside, not even a boot, that's only achived by wrongly interpreting the images. Admittedly it happened very, very fast; linesman's job, which asks him to make sense of what is happening at the millisecond the ball is played, is a hellish difficult one.
That's why, in my opinion, it shouldn't be such a split hair call. It IS a hard enough job and call to make. Player should be clearly offside, not by his freaking shoelace. :cool:

iHicksy

The thing is the rule says that the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt if there is any doubt whatsoever. You're not telling me that the linesman is stood where he is and thinks Mata is so far offside to remove any doubt (hell he's a mile on).

Robertd0803

Great result (always is when you win late) at a fairly tough place to go. Shocking decisions from the officials and Rojo is going to get himself sent off for tying the strings on his shorts too close to an opponent one of these days.

Fantastic finish from Ibra, didn't even realise it had gone in. Loved seeing Jose on the pitch after the match as well.

Also Pardew is still a muppet.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hated, adored…

Over the last 3 years, we were the butt of many jokes. People felt sorry for us.
For the first time since SAF, we are once again top of the hate list.
This is the way it should be.
Great stuff.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rooney - Impressive range of ways to give the ball back to the opposition which included volleying it against his own leg, dummying the ball away from space and into an opposition player, and just casually running off and pretending not to notice when the ball was passed directly to him.

Pogba - King of the completely pointless backheel to the person standing about a metre behind him, which he also, somehow, managed to under hit or bakcheel to an opposition player every single time. Good play for the goal though.

Cabaye - What kind of complete idiot dives when the opposition player has the ball?

Zaha - What kind of complete idiot beats their man and then dives anyway, and then carries on doing it even after the ref doesn't fall for it the first 50 times?

Lazy passing - there was too much of it. We should have won the game easily but again made it difficult for ourselves with unnecessary pratting around.

Reaction after the goal - Was the most impressive thing about the evening for me. No sulking or moping around, acting rattled, or anyone letting their heads drop. We were just straight at their throats from the kick off.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Rooney - Impressive range of ways to give the ball back to the opposition which included volleying it against his own leg, dummying the ball away from space and into an opposition player, and just casually running off and pretending not to notice when the ball was passed directly to him.

Pogba - King of the completely pointless backheel to the person standing about a metre behind him, which he also, somehow, managed to under hit or bakcheel to an opposition player every single time. Good play for the goal though.

Cabaye - What kind of complete idiot dives when the opposition player has the ball?

Zaha - What kind of complete idiot beats their man and then dives anyway, and then carries on doing it even after the ref doesn't fall for it the first 50 times?

Lazy passing - there was too much of it. We should have won the game easily but again made it difficult for ourselves with unnecessary pratting around.

Reaction after the goal - Was the most impressive thing about the evening for me. No sulking or moping around, acting rattled, or anyone letting their heads drop. We were just straight at their throats from the kick off.
LMAO!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
One thing is certain, next time Rojo plays the ref will be waiting for him to fcuk up.Someone needs to have a word with him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol:

Amazed me how the commentators were saying it was disguised one touch pass.. he fell to pieces every time he had to control the ball in the 18 yard box.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
A lunge and a miss is not a red. For the last time; if Rojo had caught him, it was a stonewall sending off. Since he didn't and Zaha dove, it was rightly called differently.
Zaha didn't dive. Attackers have a right to avoid fouls. Defenders can still be called for a foul even if the attacker was not touched. Read the laws and the interpretations. And you can certainly get a red even if you miss the attacker. Should have been a red IMO.

ThaReaper01

You're wrong. It was a red. You don't need to make contact to get sent off, you just need to be reckless and dangerous, which Rojo was. The moment you leave the floor with both feet you are no longer in control of your movements. He jumped in studs up and could have seriously injured a fellow pro. If it happened against us we'd rightly be demanding a red card.
Yes you do. You're wrong. A "reckless" tackle, which Rojo's was, means that "the player was acting with complete disregard to danger to or consequences of his opponent." That was Rojo's tackles.

It also states that "if there is physical contact (which their wasn't), the offense then becomes punishable". Again, no contact, but it was deemed reckless because Zaha dove. Thus, he was booked for a reckless tackle.

Nowhere does it state "intent" in the rules and the examples given for the kind of tackle Rojo made show actual contact with studs to the shin. It wasn't a red. It's never a red without actual contact and potentially hurting an opponent.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Yes you do. You're wrong. A "reckless" tackle, which Rojo's was, means that "the player was acting with complete disregard to danger to or consequences of his opponent." That was Rojo's tackles.

It also states that "if there is physical contact (which their wasn't), the offense then becomes punishable". Again, no contact, but it was deemed reckless because Zaha dove. Thus, he was booked for a reckless tackle.

Nowhere does it state "intent" in the rules and the examples given for the kind of tackle Rojo made show actual contact with studs to the shin. It wasn't a red. It's never a red without actual contact and potentially hurting an opponent.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf
From the FA's website.

VIOLENT CONDUCT

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
Q4: How can an offence be violent conduct if no contact is made?
In Law 12 ‘attempts to kick’ and ‘attempts to strike’ are offences – so attempted offences should be punished. Just because a player avoids an opponent’s punch or violent kick it does not mean that the offence is any less serious. Attempted violence must be punished as a sending-off (RC) offence as it has no place in football.

PieCrust

The officials had a shocker all around. Calls for both sides missed all match. Rojo two matches in a row lucky not to see straight red. Missed most obvious hand ball you'll ever see, etc.

Big win. Try to get some momentum up and carry it through the New Year.

I also thought the atmosphere at the stadium was top notch. Really was a fun one to watch, thanks in large part to the CPFC fans.

devips

Excellent suggestion, but I think you would have to give it a different name to attract them there :)
Maybe one can think of something like that TWD tactic where Rick & Co get the zombie horde on for a long march to nowhere!

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 540 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 23% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd