PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

Tony247

Don't have words. How on earth Ole thought James should start over Greenwood? for what? To punish the boy? God knows what was the reason.

Then when Pogba just coming out of covid and VdB played well in villa match any common sense would suggest Donny would start the match and Pogba on bench, not the other way.

Squad doesn't have depth, we can see that. But the manager is not making the right calls is making the situation even worse.

redom

We're not building a fecking thing, there's no clear direction or progression, we're just stumbling about in the dark smacking our shins on tables and stepping on Lego as we go. Top 4 is the absolute best we can hope for and that's probably going to be a struggle.

Don't care how knee jerk that sounds as we need to call a spade a spade, that performance wasn't something new or out of the ordinary so there's no reason to believe we won't see the same thing multiple times this season.

dal

They are not match fit, it’s so obvious.

How the hell is know one fit. Wtf is going on.

The only one with energy wasn’t a Man Utd player until two weeks ago.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’ve been shit for ages now. We tailed off towards the end of last season, even the games we won we needed penalties to bail us out. Got schooled by Chelsea, then Sevilla, then today we put out the most uninspiring lineup in years and guess what? We make palace look like Brazil 1970.

Tapori

Things that haven't changed:
-Our poor performances
-Dan James starting and being completely ineffectual
-Rashford shooting from about 35 yards and it being nowhere near the goal
-Lindelof and Maguire being done by any sort of pace or trickery
-Chasing a game but lacking any real intensity
-Moss and Atkinson being terrible officials

Side note - How can you be allowed to change your penalty taker for a re-taken penalty?
This. Should be same personnell.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
United 1 Lindelof 3 and Lindelof was unlucky not to get more.

Bad performance by the team but Lindelof was disgraceful, hopeless, hopeless weak and clueless not just for the goals but all the other errors he made. Killed the end of our season last seaon and kills the start of this one . If he isn't replaced and continues to play we are in trouble. Forget forwards or left backs, either buy a Centre half as top priority or play Bailly or Smalling or even Rojo, none of them are as bad as this clown .

McT played well covering the other errors of Lindelof
Rashford anonymous , not enough quick forward play. James is out of his depth. VdB looks lively and got his debut goal.

Our defence looks like a sieve but if Lindelof is not there confident we will still do well this season .

PSV

This is just swells from our Europa League participation. First few games will be iffy because we're less cohesive and fit than other teams.

If we wanted a smoother start to the season we should have sent the U18s to see out the Europa League and sent our players on immediate holiday following last PL fixture last season.

I don't think we'll be good/catch up until after next international break.

Nori-

Some of these players are on 100s of thousands a week. They have the best training facilities. World class staff around them.

WTF does is take to get them to put some heart into their performances?

Im so angry. With the players, with that piece of s**t Woodward, with the leeches who own the club. The lot.

Wouldn't blame Pogba if he changes his mind and won't resign now.......which will mean selling him for very little next summer.

Untd55

People will use the penalty decision and Lindelof as covers for the awful performance.

Every single player on the pitch was crap.

I said this last season that I thought our defence will be found out this season, and teams will start utilising their pace against them, a major weakeness. Zaha, Townsend, and the other guy (Schlup?) were toying with them all game.

It was also concerning towards the end of last season how we became so reliant on penalties to turn the game around. No penalty today, no turnaround.

Certain players are carrying on their dropped off form from the end of last season: Fernandes, Rashford etc.

Choosing to play McTominay over midfielders who can pass (Fred and De Beek) was a shocking decision. It put us on the backfoot from the start; we were negative from the team selection onwards. I know people will say De Beek isn't a DM, but neither is McTominay.

Honestly, it should have ended 5-1.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is just swells from our Europa League participation. First few games will be iffy because we're less cohesive and fit than other teams.

If we wanted a smoother start to the season we should have sent the U18s to see out the Europa League and sent our players on immediate holiday following last PL fixture last season.

I don't think we'll be good/catch up until after next international break.
I said at the time we should have sent a load of our youngsters and squad players there. Was a poor decision to play these players intk the ground.

Smudgers

Shocking start to the season were well off the pace , got what we deserved , why Van Der Beek didn’t start is beyond me

Strelok

What a shit show. We looked like we've never played together before. Everyone is bad, surprisingly except DDG.

I'm a vocal voice for new signings but if this continues no amount of signings in the world would save our ass. What the hell Ole was thinking featured that shitty lineup? Did he play a Jose? Who knows but this lost is entirely on him. One or two playing badly it's probably the players, but an entire team play like shit? It's the manager. And I'm a fecking Olein.

And please never play that weakling Lindelof again. That idiot cost us the fecking game. Three goals, what kind of a CB who make mistakes in three fecking goal a match? I'm mad. God please save us.

DarkDog

STOP BLAMING OLE!
This has nothing to do with Ole. Those 3 points are on them muppets running our club.

Triple.Threat

Got what we deserve today and a reality check to go with it.

We are a top 6-8 team with our hopes pinned on the wheels falling off on others to be able to scrap a top 4 fighting chance.

ravi2

Im so pissed at Ed and the Glazers I couldnt bring myself to watch the match today and Im glad I didnt. feck the management at OT

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It’s incredible how you have zero width these days. The wingers like to play on the inside, your fullbacks don’t overlap or aren’t able to create on their own.

Given the attacking talent you have, you’re clearly capable of beating anyone, but in the games where it’s close, or the opposition doesn’t allow you any space in the middle, you look incredibly toothless. Has become particularly apparent when you’re behind and chasing the game. The opposition has no problems with crowding the middle and giving you room out wide, as you’ve no-one who’s a threat there.
Agreed. Palace sitting back meant we needed to be better at drawing players away towards the wings, leaving more space in the box for the likes of Martial and Bruno to attack. Rashford and James (later Greenwood) were too one-dimensional and it really played into Palace's hands.

Roboc7

Shambles on and off the pitch at the moment, the new Utd way. Few more bad results and it would be total cop out for Woodward to sack Ole and bring in Poch but it would still be 100% correct decision.

I’ve rarely seen any manager so utterly clueless when things aren’t going his way, he’s not far off Moyes in that regard.

Tony247

Agree. His attitude is absolutely toxic. Hunt the ball down instead of waving your arms ffs. What a pathetic display.
I would cut him some slack, at least for now as he just came out of covid, probably not fully fit.

buckooo1978

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ole asked the players to lose on purpose here. Looks like no one was arsed. I’m only half joking.

Terrible performance.Has a defender ever been majorly responsible for 3 goals in one game? If we don’t sign anyone after this, good luck to our mental health this season.
seriously

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Atrocious. The team and Ole owes me and every other person that watched that a personal apology.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank goodness we can't get in at the moment.
Imagine stewing on that one with a long drive home.

YzWayne

Just need some more minutes and we’ll be fine. Typical CAF over reaction as usual. Europa killed our pre-season unfortunately
you want the club to aim for the league title or top 4 again? This club is going nowhere the top and you thought this were overreactions

MiceOnMeth

If Palace can do that to us imagine how bad we'll look against Europe's elite...

Jev

Struggling to believe what I've just witnessed to be honest. So many shocking performances, Lindelöf, Maguire, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford, James. Such a soft, soft defence and zero energy, potency or determination in attack. Sancho or not, that did not bode well at all. I can't fathom how we could be that bad

rooney2009

This is on the Manager
We just were not match fit
How can we not be match fit(have we not be training) I don’t understand
We look like a clueless club run by a bunch of inexperienced amateurs

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
We have no combinations, no patterns of play. Each player has no idea what they are meant to do when they are on the ball, they stop and "think" then complete their action. That time kills us because we are not coached.

Kearnkoff69

We were utterly crap. The only bright spot was Donny coming on, injecting real life and sharpness to our attacks, and bagging his first goal. Shaw and Rashford either lack the talent or the desire to take a man on 1-on-1, resulting in every single move down the left coming back and being recycled or cutting into the center where multiple Palace defenders were waiting. People ragged on James and TFM, but our best moves in the first half came down the right because they actually drove at their defenders and tried to make things happen. What gets me isn't the lack of quality in the team, but the lack of conviction. We didn't play with any serious purpose or desire today and that was what made this result so utterly depressing.

manunited1919

Don't have words. How on earth Ole thought James should start over Greenwood? for what? To punish the boy? God knows what was the reason.

Then when Pogba just coming out of covid and VdB played well in villa match any common sense would suggest Donny would start the match and Pogba on bench, not the other way.

Squad doesn't have depth, we can see that. But the manager is not making the right calls is making the situation even worse.
Ole must have thought this was just a friendly to get the squad ready?

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Awful. Everyone of pace. Pogba in particular.

Hopefully this sends a message to board to pull their finger out. This team needs an injection of quality.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace