PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 03 March 2021

RazorOz

This is the constant problem at the club. Our transfer spend in the summer was still around £70-80m. Not a single one of those players gets in our best 11. Maybe Cavani now but most wouldn’t have said that at the beginning of the season. Why spend that sort of money if there is no improvement? I stand by we would have been better off buying Sancho for the daft transfer fee than getting in the 4 players we signed.
To me it's not even necessarily we should have bought Sancho. It's that we'd have been better off signing nobody in the summer and saving our money for next summer if in effect we were saying we couldn't afford him because of covid or whatever. Instead we done the worst of all options. Throw money about in desperate scattergun fashion at the end of the window at players it doesn't even seem Solskjaer wanted (van de Beek). What has that achieved exactly? Absolutely nothing, we'd have been in better shape going into next season if we'd just saved the money. Instead expect the same excuses for why we don't get our targets this summer, we're kidding ourselves for example if we think we will get Haaland, no chance.

RRCE

If the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial are burnt out already, then imagine what would happen if we really get going, anytime in future. They wouldn't even make the team sheet.
I don’t pretend to know what the problems with individual players might be (aside from some not being suitable for the positions they’re being asked to play). At present, though, many of them are just showing nothing out there. Very little movement, pace or desire. Rashford and Martial are the prime examples, but they’re certainly not the only ones. They’re still capable of moments, but they’ve looked awful lately.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don’t pretend to know what the problems with individual players might be (aside from some not being suitable for the positions they’re being asked to play). At present, though, many of them are just showing nothing out there. Very little movement, pace or desire. Rashford and Martial are the prime examples, but they’re certainly not the only ones. They’re still capable of moments, but they’ve looked awful lately.
You need a good system for attacks to work. Several well drilled movement set agreed upon prematch.

If you have no clear approach then this is what you get. A scatter gun approach relying on individual brilliance.

Nothing wrong with relying on magic moments in a tight match, but that should be the icing on the cake.

At this moment we have icing all over but no cake.

City relies on alot of off the ball movement to disrupt the opponent. Which is why it looks so simple for then to score, those didnt happen out of thin air.

RRCE

You need a good system for attacks to work. Several well drilled movement set agreed upon prematch.

If you have no clear approach then this is what you get. A scatter gun approach relying on individual brilliance.

Nothing wrong with relying on magic moments in a tight match, but that should be the icing on the cake.

At this moment we have icing all over but no cake.

City relies on alot of off the ball movement to disrupt the opponent. Which is why it looks so simple for then to score, those didnt happen out of thin air.
I agree with you. It’s evident that we’re not a well drilled team.

croadyman

Smiling? Really? After hardly creating a thing and not even testing their keeper. Walking pace football.
I don’t think the players trust him anymore
Smiling?
Yeah the smiling has reached beyond irritating levels

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We look like we looked for the last 5 matches of last season with too many tired legs and too many knocks. The perfect example is Rashford. His first touches were poor, he loses the ball just dribbling, his passes are off and his thinking is slow. The same is true for Bruno and Fred.

This is going to be a long 11 more PL matches and cup ties.

croadyman

Sammy McIlroy saying the tempo was all wrong, it rarely has been all season. This is the culmination of lots of bad games.
Presumably that was on MUTV so he will know to choose his words very carefully and deep down he knows Ole isn't the man too

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
3 wins from 9 since we were joint top of the league. We are fecking bottlers with a manager who enables it.
Absolutely spot on about the bottler part. Every. Feckin. Time. Whenever we have a chance to make life easier for ourselves we bottle it. Ole not solely to blame for that tonight. You can't blame him for players not being able to make a feckin 6 yard pass or control a ball. You can blame him for the general lack of intensity and desire to feckin win the feckin game. Feck!

ken11

Thank goodness I was too busy with work to tune in. Time spent productively.

bugmat

Fred was absolutely abysmal along with every other player. creeping up on LVG terrible form
So why single him out then? Sounds like an agenda.

Rashford and matic were also bad - the formercouldn't pass or shoot on target, the latter was his usual slo-mo self taking ages to take a ball off the defence and find Shaw or bruno. masonc oudln't trap a ball most of the night. Bruno made twice as many loose bad passes as anyone else. Bailly and maguire could barely dribble out their half despite acres of space to do so. They were all awful bar maybe Luke Shaw and AwB (the latter still doesnt pass well as his passes force the receiver to recover the ball too much).

They all look exhausted and completely busted. I think Ole's lack of rotation, our hectic schedule, plus the fact we never do well vs two banks of 4s have caught up to us.

bugmat

We looked fecked and the season is now taking its toll. In previous Ole slumps we lost a shitload of games. At least now we’re only drawing them
People don't realieze the break the covid-19 outbreak gave us enabled us to power through in Project restart. the schedule this season (plus our lack of cerativity vs defensive sides) have put a double whammy on us,

croadyman

Can you imagine the players giving a toss about performing when your manager comes over like this after the worst performance of the season?
Yeah the players are probably laughing behind his back when he is so friendly with the other manager after such a garbage showing

Nickelodeon

Imagine the entire coaching staff and players sitting in the training room and analyzing this game. The only question I would ask is that why was no one bothered?

This is the second time in recent weeks I’ve seen that even when we’re not winning, we aren’t even trying to get the ball forward in added time. Maguire, Bailly and Matic should look at this game and hang their heads in collective shame. Don’t get me wrong, everyone else was quite poor too. But these 3 just kept on passing to each other, slowing down the entire game like they were paid to do just that. And to think that the Maguire is our captain who’s supposed to bring other players to the required standard during games.

This was at par with our most cowardly performance in recent time Spurs away 2-0 defeat under Mourinho. Honestly, losing this game would’ve been more acceptable than what we saw.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
The lack of Pogba is a mitigating factor, but it should be a real concern that if Bruno under performs, then the team generally does as well. That’s one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen.

Your record and deep game plan against the big six isn’t fantastic or effective whatsoever, but there’s at least some reason behind playing that way. To only register one shot on target against Palace is embarrassing and questions definitely need to be asked about Solskjaer’s future and some of the players’ priorities.

That’s the worst performance I think I’ve seen from Fred, and it took Ole 74 minutes to realise it? The quality is definitely there and with a few more tweaks this squad will be capable of challenging. It’s only the manager and some mental fragilities that are holding you back.

48 hours

I developed a migraine whilst watching the match. At around the 65th minute I started to vomit and then went to bed with an excruciating headache.
I think I had the better evening compared to everyone who watched the full 90 mins

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah there would have been a bit of "your not fit to wear the shirt" with any Utd away supporters in that ground no doubt about that
Considering we've not sung that in living memory and we are currently 2nd in the league I highly doubt that.

manunited1919

If the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial are burnt out already, then imagine what would happen if we really get going, anytime in future. They wouldn't even make the team sheet.
You can add Bruno to the list. It seems Ole doesn’t really know how to fix the issue about our forwards seemingly burning out.

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
Out of boredom after my lunch break I made an 18 match accumulator. Football, volleyball, tennis, handball, ice hockey, 15 quid to win 2500.

17/18. Guess the one team that ruined my accumulator.

What a useless bunch United are. One shot on target v the mighty Palace. Let that sink in.

I see so many in here taking digs at City for spending too much and discrediting their trophies, but if it were for a combined 11 thread of United and City, the same fans would probably choose Bruno Fernandes over De Bruyne or Gundogan, Rashford over Sterling, Greenwood over Mahrez, Shaw over Zinchenko (who is not even a full back but still ten times the full back Shaw is) or Wan Bissaka over Cancelo/Walker.

When the truth is that NONE would make City's team. NONE!

And the Hudson Odoi thread in here is pathetic, can't believe there is nine pages already. Can't seem to remember Maguire's MMA move on Azpilicueta thread, though.

Roane

DVdB made himself second string by being shit. Amad is already so good that, judging from the matchday thread, him not being brought on today is why we didn't win.
He has been poor no doubt, when rarely given a game.

However my point was more that we needed to bolster the squad to compete. Cavani is the closest we have come to signing a player that could help the first 11, if not as a starter even but to help rest or in case of injuries.

We knew about games coming thick and fast and went with youngsters without game time or for the future.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Same problems we've had for years, without Pogba we can't create anything from midfield and we can only attack down the left so we're too predictable. Still no idea how to break down a stubborn defence.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Looking forward to hearing why a team with Maguire, Fred, Pogba and Fernandes (4 players wanted by City that chose United instead) can't compete with City, and why it's City's oil money that's causing you to post a points average of 1.8 per game.
Yeah Pogba was immense yesterday. Good point.

humiliated

Unfair result!

Palace created more chances and deserved 3 points.

Pathetic from us.
It's not just the results, it the dire boring and dull formation the manager and his staff send out , to play for us. Lack of tactical knowledge, lack of thrust and basically, an embarrassing lack of guts !

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Too a large degree my take on your game yesterday was from a neutral standpoint although I look slightly more favourably on you as opposed to Palace .

We at Chelsea had our issues with the tactics deployed by Lampard but I see the exact same issues at Utd.

For me the players like Rashford and Greenwood that should be allowed to play with the handbrake off are being stifled due it seems because the whole team are being more concerned with protecting the clean sheet . Add to that players like Fernandez are clearly being overplayed and you are in a perfect storm

Someone on here talks about the next 11 matches indeed a lot of teams are treading water and slowly but surely more and more clubs performances and results will become unpredictable but the biggest concern is the players welfare and as we have seen players playing in the red zone risk serious injury and ironically the majority of those clubs that voted against adopting the 5 sub rule will in all likelihood be the ones suffering the most injuries

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Presumably that was on MUTV so he will know to choose his words very carefully and deep down he knows Ole isn't the man too
He said there was no passion either. They can be a bit biased, but I like Ben Thornley on the commentaries. If we are awful he doesn't sugar coat it.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
3 games in a row without scoring, honestly I prefer all those 3-2's and 3-3's than this.
It seems that we cannot attack while defending and we cannot defend when attacking.

Eddy_JukeZ

One of the worst performances I can remember.

Felt like a training scrimmage.

Sing you a song

Why Fred with Matic? Just why.......
I think Mctominay carrying an injury and Ole wants him to be ready for city.Pogba , VDB and Mata all not available so left us no options apart from kids who were only on the bench in case we went 3 up so they could get some minutes

Sing you a song

3 games in a row without scoring, honestly I prefer all those 3-2's and 3-3's than this.
It seems that we cannot attack while defending and we cannot defend when attacking.
The forwards look awful Mason desperately needs a goal ,Rashford looks shattered, Cavani thrives on service but got none,Martial having dreadful season,I honestly don’t know where the goals are going to come from. Top 4 is going to be a scramble

48 hours

Out of boredom after my lunch break I made an 18 match accumulator. Football, volleyball, tennis, handball, ice hockey, 15 quid to win 2500.

17/18. Guess the one team that ruined my accumulator.

What a useless bunch United are. One shot on target v the mighty Palace. Let that sink in.

I see so many in here taking digs at City for spending too much and discrediting their trophies, but if it were for a combined 11 thread of United and City, the same fans would probably choose Bruno Fernandes over De Bruyne or Gundogan, Rashford over Sterling, Greenwood over Mahrez, Shaw over Zinchenko (who is not even a full back but still ten times the full back Shaw is) or Wan Bissaka over Cancelo/Walker.

When the truth is that NONE would make City's team. NONE!

And the Hudson Odoi thread in here is pathetic, can't believe there is nine pages already. Can't seem to remember Maguire's MMA move on Azpilicueta thread, though.
A kick in the nuts isn’t allowed in MMA surely?

Zeno

It’s human nature folks. Why bust a gut when there is nothing to play for? Crystal Palace away on a cold damp Wednesday night. Why bother? You see it in sport in life. The league was lost against Everton. Top 4 is more or less assured. Attention has turned to the Cups. You will see better performances against Leicester and Milan.

We will see a better performance against City. Guarantee it. We have something to play for. Beating City, derby game, winning run etc. It’s a Cup Final for us. City have the league won. They won’t care as much. So we will probably beat them.

So honestly, calm down folks. My emotional investment in the league ended after Everton. I’d advise you to follow suit. It can’t be good for you to get so worked up.

Man of the Match

Dean Henderson image Dean Henderson 53% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 248 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw