g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL L FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 06 May 2024

yeti

David Moyes lost his job as Manchester United manager on April 22, 2014 following a 2-0 defeat at Everton. That team would finish 7th in the league.

Van Gaal was sacked following the 2015-2016 campaign when the club finished 5th and scored only 49 goals for the PL season

Mourinho’s final game in charge at United came against Liverpool at Anfield in December 2018. Sadio Mane’s strike and a brace from Xherdan Shaqiri gave the hosts a 3-1 win, leaving United sixth in the league.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lost his job as Manchester United manager on November 21, 2021 following a 4-1 defeat at Watford that left his side eighth in the table. They had won five of their first 12 games of the league season and had the worst defence in the top half of the Premier League.

See a pattern here?

Don't be surprised if ETH is gone before the next game. Probably for the best, give us a head start on finding a new manager. Break the bank for Emery.
would love Emery but i can't see him leaving villa if they achieve CL this season.

Moriarty

any other scouser would be better. Jamie carragher is a scumbag, ego driven, scumbag. not that I would be giving sky any money with their greed anyway but their decision to have that W...anchor on screen is disgusting.
Yep. He can feck right off.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The worst thing about tonight is it's not even a surprise. The horror and shock of these kinds of defeats has long since subsided. How many times have we been embarrassed this season? Same s-t, different day.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Still playing in morally broken team full of inept players. The poor guy can't do it on his own. Antony was on for three quarter of the game and did absolutely nothing. As he has done all season.
We had 2 shots on target and Antony had one of them, now he wasn't great but he wasn't even close to being the worst today

Partridge

Are we moribund? I thought we would concede but good god.. :lol: and you know I always keep my bar super low...I couldn't even conga under this new low bar...

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Antony did nothing? He probably had our best effort on goal other than the disallowed goals and more than once was back in our area doing the CB's job.
We had 2 shots on target and Antony had one of them, now he wasn't great but he wasn't even close to being the worst today
Did I say he was the worst. The discussion was whether Amad was better than Antony.

Woziak

ETH has sealed his fate. I don't even think an FA Cup can save him. And he might be the best choice for manager next season!

But he's done. And it's not just the unprecedent number of team losses he's managed this season, or even the the UCL dud.

It's that he needs his best players to play just to have a chance. And without them, he has no strategy or make-shift approaches in his lunch pail.

I'm pretty sure the play of the players today reflect their personal feelings about him behind closed doors.

He's done. And we may not come close to UCL for years as a result of this season. The 95 million Euros for Antony and the 50 million Euros for Onana are the final nails in his coffin. FFP will see to that.

Is anyone telling me that Dean Henderson (no transfer fee needed) would not have done a better (or even the same) job this season?
He’s a much better GK than Onana for sure?
James Garner is much better than Amrabat
Andreas Pereira is currently better than Mason Mount.
Sancho is miles better than Antony
Potentially that’s £200m saved that we could gone on an elite Spine.

This is on ETH he sold and wanted all those players ?

He is 99% responsible ?

Kinky Melinky

He’s a much better GK than Onana for sure?
James Garner is much better than Amrabat
Andreas Pereira is currently better than Mason Mount.
Sancho is miles better than Antony
Potentially that’s £200m saved that we could gone on an elite Spine.

This is on ETH he sold and wanted all those players ?

He is 99% responsible ?
I agree, and I wish certain characters on the Caf would just kill their egos and accept what you post is spot on. There is just no getting around the choice of players ETH brought in, accompanied with his inability to do anything worthwhile with them. It's almost sinful the amount of money spent on the current crop of absolute shite. That's on the manager.

PvsNP

To think this team actually played CL earlier this season...

Overhaul FC

What’s worse is he keeps playing Anthony?
When Amad is clearly the better player just reeks of nepotism!
Ten Hag was dealt a lot of bad cards, but he hasn't helped himself either.

Antony starting over Diallo and Eriksen over Amrabat was insane today.

Today had to have a proper CDM. That was obvious.

Woziak

Ten Hag was dealt a lot of bad cards, but he hasn't helped himself either.

Antony starting over Diallo and Eriksen over Amrabat was insane today.

Today had to have a proper CDM. That was obvious.
Especially seeing as their Midfield had more energy and mobility, ETH has sealed his fate tonight!

Coops73

I’m agog, yes injuries are an issue but feck me we surely have to be set up in a more organised fashion at the back. I’m done with Ten hag, surely there has too be a change.

The Irish Connection

Can’t decide which is worse, the recruitment under ten Hag or the mad midfield system he has us playing since the pre season games.
Onana, Mount and Hojlund. Mount got a start in his best position tonight and was crap.

bitcoin

I see ETH is blaming the players tonight for “not following the plan or the script”.

He seems to use this excuse a lot and speaks to a broader issue of whether the players fully understand his instructions or game plan.

Or maybe I’m overthinking and it’s just a good old limp excuse.

Last edited:

Fr. Todd Unctious

Why the feck were the cnuts getting applauded when they went over to the fans. They were a disgrace tonight just as they have been numerous times this season

Not advocating them being abused but they certainly shouldn't be getting applauded

Reiver

Some others have also said it but the result wasn't even that surprising.
I've no enthusiasm for the rest of the season, I could see us losing all our remaining games.

Flying high

If the Ineos people have been telling the manager to tighten up and just try to get results then he's failed and has to be sacked.

If, as I suspect, they've told him to stick to his plan and we'll sort out the squad in the summer, then I'm guessing they'll stick to that even if we keep losing the next four games.

I get the frustration, I really do. It's terrible right now. Confidence is shattered. The team looks pretty clueless most of the time. But, let's be honest, it's a crap team we're fielding game after game. And we have no good options in reserve. Amad might be better than Antony, but he's not really showing it apart from the odd flashes. He's had several poor defensive mistakes and is not going to make the difference that we need. Who else is there? Amrabat? He's leaving soon so what's the point in playing him now? Maybe Mount should get more game time, but I don't think playing him alongside Mainoo is the answer.

We have some great young prospects who should be rotated in and out, but we're reliant on them even when their form dips. Casemiro should have been dropped months ago, but for who? Evans shouldn't be playing for us any more, especially when half fit. AWB simply isn't good enough. Nor is Eriksen any more. Of the team who played today, ideally only Onana and maybe Dalot would be starters for us next season, possibly Garnacho and Mainoo too but again, not every game. Our squad is ravaged by injury and it really wasn't great to start with. None of us thought we'd win the title this season. If we'd had a normal year injury wise then I think we'd have been 4th or 5th. Even with a decent season we'd have needed to replace a big chunk of the squad due to age and so that our backup players also fit how the manager wants to play.

If ETH gets the sack I won't complain. But if he stays I wouldn't mind either. We are finally(hopefully) getting our shit together behind the scenes with people who have a proven record and a clear desire to run the football operation properly. It's too easy to hang the couple of bad signings around the managers neck and blame it all on him, but at a club the size of United, it shouldn't be solely up the manager to make those choices and bring in desperation signings to fill the huge gaps left by Glazer incompetence.

ETH has been pointedly called the coach by Ratcliffe. If he stays, that will be what he is next season. Relieved of the responsibility of deciding on signings, he will be given a more suitable squad hopefully capable of competing. He will either sink or swim and be judged on results and performances with a more favourable situation.

Hang in there fellow reds. Finishing 8th might feel like the end of the world, but we've been much lower before and we'll rise again one day. The bad times make the good times feel even better!

Reactions: moses

Lee565

Why Has not tried a back 3 with dalot, bissaka and on this occasion evans instead the kamikaze walking pace defence of casimero and evan/Maguire in the last few games?

Woziak

I agree, and I wish certain characters on the Caf would just kill their egos and accept what you post is spot on. There is just no getting around the choice of players ETH brought in, accompanied with his inability to do anything worthwhile with them. It's almost sinful the amount of money spent on the current crop of absolute shite. That's on the manager.
As a fanbase we need to heal, stop arguing amongst ourselves and admit that ETH is and has been out of depth for about 14 months. The club is too big and he will get exactly the same issues if Bayern are stupid enough to appoint him?

ETH has form for only picking the players he likes, those players that follows his dogmatic instructions as he tells them and young players who he can bully.

He can’t deal with two/three players in his squad that are competing for a starting place. He really doesn’t understand the PL and how competitive it is.

I look forward to seeing this muppet tell Kimmich, Goretzka that they need to watch FDJ or L Sane, K Coman, S Gnabry or Musiala to watch Antony play.

He will be sacked at Bayern after 6 months when they are bottom of their CL group and he starts picking his 4-1————2-3,

Ineos are not exempt from any blame either, when they officially took over on 20th February United were in a top 4 fight with 44 points from 25 games!

ETH under Ineos in the EPL has
P10 W2 D4 L4 GS 17 GC 21 -4 PTS 10 that’s relegation form so Sir David what are you actually doing not another Nice we hope?

If it’s the manager and his methods, sack him and turn the club around, so far INEOS have actually started in the same way they have managed all their other current sporting projects, abject failure!

Sir Jim whilst I totally agree with the youth teams not keeping carrington up to the correct cleanliness standard, they’ve just done something the full team hasn’t, they’ve won the Double so maybe a quiet word in Academy Director’s ear, maybe a nice internal memo to set standards but maybe not to brief the media and make it all about you!

Talk is cheap, we still waiting for DOF and CEO and any Owner of Man United who doesn’t think 18 defeats from 48 games played all season is untenable then maybe isn’t the right one and the club needs an owner that is ruthless, after all you went to an Fa Cup Semi Final and saw this coach collapse, something he has form for, and yet he’s still here stinking the club out, struggling to beat the worst PL team in the last two decades, being outplayed at old Trafford by Burnley and then getting thrashed by Palace.

Ineos are about to find out that their honeymoon period is over just as much as ETH has been over since Xmas!

JediSith

On a bright note. If INEOS thought the problems at hand could be resolved by a few signings and selling a few squad players or older players they surely now know they are in for one hell of a project.

Look on the bright side. Seasons almost over. One last pasting by City in the final to kill our last hope of some success and then in the summer we can look for the first signs of if things are really changing.

redmanx

I’m agog, yes injuries are an issue but feck me we surely have to be set up in a more organised fashion at the back. I’m done with Ten hag, surely there has too be a change.
I agree, yes we've had terrible injury problems....but the players are all professionals, they get paid very well as professionals to play like professionals but any kid in the playground knows the basics better it seems than some of these so called professionals do. Defending, marking, tracking back, tackling, passing, keeping the ball, you'll see kids doing all these and doing them better and more effectively than Casemiro, Antony, Eriksen, Wan Bissaka, Onana and Hojlund did tonight. If we cant even get the basics right, passing, tackling etc how can we expect to have a positive GD rather than the minus one we've had most of the season? And then of course theres attitude and desire, things most of our players dont possess and never will. Next we play Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton and Im only slightly confident we'll beat Brighton, and God only knows what Arsenal will do, not forgetting the Cup Final against City...May 20th cant come soon enough for me when our sad, sorry, pathetic season will be over. But tonight was as bad as it gets......surely? Next season must be better....mustnt it?

oz insomniac

This all started when the Glazers basically gave control of the club to the hooray Henry’s, the nucleus of the side is due to their incompetence .ETH just hasn’t understood the EPL , and even if he does, his signings and tactics are a major part of the problem.

The Premier a league is not the Dutch First Division, and boy signing players who look good there and expecting the same is hopeless.

It’s taken 15 years to see Man Utd move from the pinnacle of the game, to a disastrous mid table at best of the club we saw under Fergie. It’s going to take much more time to sort the mess out, wont be easy to move overpaid, slow and deficient players on stupid wages to other clubs. Thank goodness the greedy EPL moved the live games here in Oz to some mobile phone streaming service that no one watches for more $$$$.

Back to rugby league until next season.

Waynne

Its not long ago that on this very forum people were speaking about Ole like this.

We thought getting in a manager looking after a top Ajax team would be the change we were looking for and look now. This guy is on the chopping block.

Yet another manager under fire.

Aren't we due a break from all of this crap already FFS!!

Woziak

If the Ineos people have been telling the manager to tighten up and just try to get results then he's failed and has to be sacked.

If, as I suspect, they've told him to stick to his plan and we'll sort out the squad in the summer, then I'm guessing they'll stick to that even if we keep losing the next four games.

I get the frustration, I really do. It's terrible right now. Confidence is shattered. The team looks pretty clueless most of the time. But, let's be honest, it's a crap team we're fielding game after game. And we have no good options in reserve. Amad might be better than Antony, but he's not really showing it apart from the odd flashes. He's had several poor defensive mistakes and is not going to make the difference that we need. Who else is there? Amrabat? He's leaving soon so what's the point in playing him now? Maybe Mount should get more game time, but I don't think playing him alongside Mainoo is the answer.

We have some great young prospects who should be rotated in and out, but we're reliant on them even when their form dips. Casemiro should have been dropped months ago, but for who? Evans shouldn't be playing for us any more, especially when half fit. AWB simply isn't good enough. Nor is Eriksen any more. Of the team who played today, ideally only Onana and maybe Dalot would be starters for us next season, possibly Garnacho and Mainoo too but again, not every game. Our squad is ravaged by injury and it really wasn't great to start with. None of us thought we'd win the title this season. If we'd had a normal year injury wise then I think we'd have been 4th or 5th. Even with a decent season we'd have needed to replace a big chunk of the squad due to age and so that our backup players also fit how the manager wants to play.

If ETH gets the sack I won't complain. But if he stays I wouldn't mind either. We are finally(hopefully) getting our shit together behind the scenes with people who have a proven record and a clear desire to run the football operation properly. It's too easy to hang the couple of bad signings around the managers neck and blame it all on him, but at a club the size of United, it shouldn't be solely up the manager to make those choices and bring in desperation signings to fill the huge gaps left by Glazer incompetence.

ETH has been pointedly called the coach by Ratcliffe. If he stays, that will be what he is next season. Relieved of the responsibility of deciding on signings, he will be given a more suitable squad hopefully capable of competing. He will either sink or swim and be judged on results and performances with a more favourable situation.

Hang in there fellow reds. Finishing 8th might feel like the end of the world, but we've been much lower before and we'll rise again one day. The bad times make the good times feel even better!
Since Ineos took over in February 20th
EPL P10 W2 D4 L4 Pts 10 relegation fodder
ETH won’t be here next season!

EchoCharlie7

Terrible....

I can't figure out if Casemiro was really that bad or playing like that on purpose. Some of his decision making was ridiculous.

EtH should be writing out his resignation tonight.

croadyman

We are lucky they missed those chances at the end otherwise it could have been 5/6 nil. They really had their foot on our throats in that spell

Banana Republic

With no CB’s apart from Evans, who was rushed back from injury, it was imperative that CM was set up with the strongest players available.
As we’re very limited with this squad, Amrabat was the only player available to fit into that role, but ETH sets up with young Kobbie and a physically feeble Eriksen.
Madness !

Bright_Eyes

You got it! Give yourself a lollypop! What did the next thing I wrote say?
I thought there would be a pattern to see that showed ETH is likely to be sacked before the next game. All I saw though is just a list of times when United sacked their manager, during the season, after a season, after a defeat, after a win, after not being able to qualify anymore for cups, after winning a cup.. Like, what's the pattern that shows he's likely to get sacked now instead of after the season LVG-style?

You asked if we can see the pattern and I couldn't. If the only pattern is we sack our manager when they aren't doing well, that's not much of a pattern, it's just how clubs tend to operate with varying degrees of patience.. He hasn't been doing well for a while now.

RedDevil@84

Why Has not tried a back 3 with dalot, bissaka and on this occasion evans instead the kamikaze walking pace defence of casimero and evan/Maguire in the last few games?
He hasn't even figured out that AWB plays better on the right than left.

Player Ratings

2.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Crystal Palace 2:1 Man Utd
  • 14% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd