g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CL D Champions League Group B

CSKA Moscow 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 October 2015

fan1996

DIEHARD: Changes support more than his underpants
Rooney is playing like Chicharito without the finishing, or worse, in some games Chicharito hold-up play were actually not that bad.

By this point I actually prefer we start playing Wilson ahead of Rooney.

Best line-up atm:

------------------DDG-----------------
Darmian---Smalling---Jones----Blind
--------Schneiderlin---Bastian--------
Mata-------Herrera-----Perreira/Lingaard
----------------Martial------------------

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We really miss Shaw, he actually added so much to our attack

SalfordRed1960

Goals aren't everything though! We put 3 past Sunderland but nobody can tell me that was a great performance? Nor was the Southampton game!

I accept that away from home in Europe you do need to be a bit more controlled. But last night wasn't the exception to the rule.

Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Swansea, Arsenal, Sunderland, Wolfsburg, CSKA, Southampton were all pretty boring dire performances. For some people it's about results and that's fine. Results wise overall it's been pretty good this year but I don't care so much about results.
I think there is also the lack of taking what is being done on the training pitch to the match pitch. Nearly every one of those games LVG has responded in post match PCs that the starting tempo is too slow. He needs to knock a few heads together. It is almost as though certain players see we have all the ball, so they just go into ball keeping mode, rather than carry out any plan that has been worked on.

markhrad

We may look boring and I think Martial needs to go back to being our centre forward but at least I now go into every match thinking we are going to win. That alone tells me that I should not be complaining too much.

Dr Fink

I thought Schneiderlin was a bit off the pace in Europe again, particularly first half. Woeful keep ball football with no penetration. Lingard did not look out of place and did a good job. I think Martial would be better up top, he's wasted out wide. Did a job against Everton. The same selections and formations did not work as they did at Goodison, almost lazy management in a way. I thought Herrera was not as effective. Rooney, though I love him needs dropping; a decent cross and a tame header, just not at the races. Valencia deserves his place, playing well, but can't cross still. Memphis doesn't cut it either, needs a wake up call. Interesting team selection for Sunday. A good point away in a tough place.

ice-bionic red

What really pisses me off is after the slow, build up possession football, we will make it to the edge of their box then either put in an appalling cross everytime OR pass the ball back to KEEP possession and end up back on the halfway line?!

TAKE A feckIN SHOT! OR TAKE A RISK FFS!!!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm happy for Martial. He made a mistake but that didn't affect him. He's composed as feck.
Herrera did well too. The rest were average to shit. Also we played some uninspired stuff (as per usual) but that also happens to most of the teams in this away fixture. It's a tough one.

Let's show some speed and desire vs City now. They're not the greatest at closing down so we will have time on the ball. Hopefully we'll do something with it.

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
Can't copy my final posts in the newbs but essentially this point is a lot bigger than some are taking it for.

We can win the group, realistically, because of this point.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It was a boring, uninspired performance.
Basically we played for a 1-1 or 1-0 scoreline and got it.
Towards the end it seemed that both teams were happy with the result.

In any case, it is a difficult fixture, so 1-1 is actually a decent result for us.

Will Absolute

Can't copy my final posts in the newbs but essentially this point is a lot bigger than some are taking it for.

We can win the group, realistically, because of this point.
It was a very big point. A loss would've turned the home fixture into a must win. Now, if we draw the next game, we'll be under pressure but not behind the eight ball.

Lewis.no.9

lets be honest though, are we all actually fine with finishing 2nd?. I want to top this group and avoid some tough teams. At this rate we could easily finish 2nd, then get battered in the next round by some top European club. Lets be honest if we play the way we did yesterday, against Real Madrid, Barcelona or whatever. We are getting beaten....and probably pretty badly.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
We will have to agree to disagree. Goals are EVERYTHING.
The aim of the game is to score more goals than the opposition. <- I have got this right haven't I?
And that there lies the difference mate... To you yes goals is everything but to me it's not. It's the reason why I love the NFL and why I'm bored of football. The NFL isn't all about scoring touchdowns to bring excitement. It could be a brilliant run, catch, tackle, pass, interception or any number of things. It boils down to entertainment and that's down to personal choice.

I think there is also the lack of taking what is being done on the training pitch to the match pitch. Nearly every one of those games LVG has responded in post match PCs that the starting tempo is too slow. He needs to knock a few heads together. It is almost as though certain players see we have all the ball, so they just go into ball keeping mode, rather than carry out any plan that has been worked on.
If LVG came out and said the tempo was good after most games we'd crucify him. I don't buy that he's doing what he can and the players aren't following through on that. He's had well over a year now and 3 transfer windows to buy players to meet what he wants. Those players have included Blind with no pace, Schweinsteiger with no pace, Schneiderlin though he's there more to protect... So I'm sorry but the way we are playing boils down to him.

lonelyred

Is there any way to view the player ratings without having to rate the players?
You need to klick the button (under the line up) "I don't want to rate the players for this game", or something similar. After that, you're going to see the ratings, but won't be able to rate the players anymore. Same for (not) voting the man of the match.

SalfordRed1960

If LVG came out and said the tempo was good after most games we'd crucify him. I don't buy that he's doing what he can and the players aren't following through on that. He's had well over a year now and 3 transfer windows to buy players to meet what he wants. Those players have included Blind with no pace, Schweinsteiger with no pace, Schneiderlin though he's there more to protect... So I'm sorry but the way we are playing boils down to him.
Could look at it like that,or you could say Martial, Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schwienstieger (50% of the team) have been there for just over 2 months.

LVG probably didn't tell the players to play like they did against Arsenal, that was piss poor from the players. Then again,Everton, was good. So I stand by my original point that if 11 players turn up on the day, we move the ball quicker and we tend to be better to watch. This season, in most games I believe we have had 9 at best at the races. Yesterday it was Rooney and Schwienie who were the culprits, usually it is Rooney and Depay,though Mata, Valencia and Darmian can also have a bad day at the office. The system needs movement and when players are not on their game and do not move, less technical players like Jones and Smalling get found out.

Rich_H_1989

Could look at it like that,or you could say Martial, Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schwienstieger (50% of the team) have been there for just over 2 months.

LVG probably didn't tell the players to play like they did against Arsenal, that was piss poor from the players. Then again,Everton, was good. So I stand by my original point that if 11 players turn up on the day, we move the ball quicker and we tend to be better to watch. This season, in most games I believe we have had 9 at best at the races. Yesterday it was Rooney and Schwienie who were the culprits, usually it is Rooney and Depay,though Mata, Valencia and Darmian can also have a bad day at the office. The system needs movement and when players are not on their game and do not move, less technical players like Jones and Smalling get found out.
OK... So let me ask this then... When will the excuses end? When comes the point where actually we accept that LVG isn't right for the job?

Because last season it was too early for him as a coach and there were too many changes. Now its because of the number of players he's signed. Or because players haven't turned up. Or because players don't meet his philosophy. What next? Next season we'll have the same excuses because next summer he'll need to go and sign 3/4 players again.

It's all excuse after excuse. It was the same for Moyes for a few months. Maybe we just have to accept he's not right for the job.

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
OK... So let me ask this then... When will the excuses end? When comes the point where actually we accept that LVG isn't right for the job?

Because last season it was too early for him as a coach and there were too many changes. Now its because of the number of players he's signed. Or because players haven't turned up. Or because players don't meet his philosophy. What next? Next season we'll have the same excuses because next summer he'll need to go and sign 3/4 players again.

It's all excuse after excuse. It was the same for Moyes for a few months. Maybe we just have to accept he's not right for the job.
Well. The question of whether he is the right man for the job is down to the owners. They think he is. In fact, they are quite impressed. Now they are not football men but over the past decade, they've probably picked up a thing or two to know if things need changing.

Like under Moyes. They gave it as much time as they realistically could and then made a change.

Under LvG we've gone from that point, to the Champions League. We've also started with about 50% more points than we had at this stage last season. Were still in the league cup, compared with the rather humiliating exit last season.

Were also 2 points of the top, so were very much in the title race at this early stage. From this point last season until the just before the end of the season, we had title winning form. So of we can repeat that, from our much improved position, then come May, were going to be right up there.

Of course if he goes and loses the next 20 and plays like Bayern met Barca, he will be sacked quicker than you can say his full name.

NecssryEvil

I would say in the state the team was in when he took over the contract that he signed for 3 years would be the amount of time he should be given to work things out... AS LONG AS we are seeing progress. Which I think we are. People wonder why smartass comments like "this aint FM" are tossed about, well it's this reoccurring impatience displayed on threads like this that make me wonder where people have seen this kind of success IRL and not just FM/FIFA.

Rich_H_1989

Well. The question of whether he is the right man for the job is down to the owners. They think he is. In fact, they are quite impressed. Now they are not football men but over the past decade, they've probably picked up a thing or two to know if things need changing
Yes OK its down to the owners but that doesn't mean we have to put up with it. OK there's nothing we can actually do but it doesn't mean we have to like who's in charge. I support the club not the manager.

Under LvG we've gone from that point, to the Champions League. We've also started with about 50% more points than we had at this stage last season. Were still in the league cup, compared with the rather humiliating exit last season.
So we're arsenal are we? Happy just to get in to Europe but never have any real chance or ambition to win it? Finishing in the top 4 is like winning a trophy?

Maybe LVG will be successful and win a trophy. And for some that'll be more than enough. And some will say I'm just hard to please but actually I'm not. I'd take 5th place and the occasional cup run with good exciting football over boring title wins.

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
Yes OK its down to the owners but that doesn't mean we have to put up with it. OK there's nothing we can actually do but it doesn't mean we have to like who's in charge. I support the club not the manager.

So we're arsenal are we? Happy just to get in to Europe but never have any real chance or ambition to win it? Finishing in the top 4 is like winning a trophy?

Maybe LVG will be successful and win a trophy. And for some that'll be more than enough. And some will say I'm just hard to please but actually I'm not. I'd take 5th place and the occasional cup run with good exciting football over boring title wins.
Would you really? And would we really be boring if we won the title? I think we would be the best side in the country, wouldn't you?

And who said any of us were happy with a rinse and repeat of last season , year after year? We made progress and continue to do so. We've only gone forward under van Gaal, its just that we started from such a poor standing so its taking a little longer.

Rich_H_1989

Would you really? And would we really be boring if we won the title? I think we would be the best side in the country, wouldn't you?

And who said any of us were happy with a rinse and repeat of last season , year after year? We made progress and continue to do so. We've only gone forward under van Gaal, its just that we started from such a poor standing so its taking a little longer.
Winning the title doesn't make you the most entertaining side though! Chelsea are far from it yet they are the current champions. Best doesn't mean great to watch it just means you've gained the most points though I appreciate I'm now stating the obvious.

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
Its not a competition to find the most entertaining side. They give no awards for that.

Feedingseagulls

So now I have seen the first half. Yes we were poor after the first 12 mins or so, but in reality little of that really seemed to be down to zombie/backwards passing.

For a team supposedly under rigid instructions btw, Lingard was all over the pitch.

In the second half we played with more discipline, AND looked more likely to score than the opposition. Which was unfortunately not the case in the first half. Mind you, DDG had a pretty quiet night really.

SalfordRed1960

You seem to ignore the foundation that he is putting in place. Can the football be more entertaining definitely, but you seem to go OTT after most disappointing results. Accepting that ADM was a mistake, he has done well in the transfer market, they are good players. He is not afraid to put youth into the team, and they have largely not let him down. We have a couple of players not producing the goods at the moment. Maybe, we can argue he seriously underestimated Arsenal.

What I do not understand is why you put so much focus on LVG as though he is some incompetent manager that is going to take us no where. It is clear the road we are on, and it is pretty obvious the road still has an inclination which is slowing things down. If you were bashing him for not taking off Rooney, I could understand your frustration. However, I can only see things getting better as the team becomes more stable.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 598 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Moscow 0:2 Man Utd
  • 24% Moscow 1:2 Man Utd