PL W FA Premier League

Everton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 November 2023

Oscar Bonavena

2nd half performance was comfortable, particularly after the 2nd goal.

Onana and defence played well but were under enormous pressure in the 1st half because we had zero control of the game, even after Garnacho's early goal. Everton should have scored 2 or 3 goals easily but just didn't have the quality to punish us.

Game sums up where we are at the moment. Even not playing well, we have just about enough quality in the team to get wins against teams in the bottom half of the table.

But any objective observer would concede that 1st half performance would not be good enough against pretty much any team in the top half (of which we've played 4, lost 4, with a 2-11 goal difference).

RedIan

Rashford and Bruno I both scored a 2.
Rashford because the pen was good but gave the ball away almost every single time he had it.
Ditto for Bruno but lovely pass for the pen.
Mainoo head and shoulders above everyone else. Not sure what that says about us, perhaps he really is special but there are two players in particular who aren’t delivering at the moment and it’s hurting us.
Can’t complain about a 3-0 away at Everton though!! (Even though I just have)
Rashford was a 4, he wasnt great but his confidence which was on the floor improved after his goal..
Bruno was a solid 7 - a 2 for Bruno smacks of an agenda

mav_9me

Mainoo has the very rare gift of looking like he has time on the ball...in the midst of midfield scrap in that atmosphere...suggests a great future for him...
Exactly. I didn't watch today's match as i was flying but saw a brief compilation. Couldn't agree more. That is a reliable indicator of a great CM.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Fabulous goal by Garnacho.Super ball from Lindelof to Rashford to start it.
Very encouraging performance from Mainoo.Fingers crossed for him.
Have mixed feelings about Bruno handing the pen to Rashy. Let’s just say it worked but I wouldn’t approve.
Good to get Shaw back.
Good result.
Keep it going now.
I don't, that was good captaincy, Rashford is well short on confidence and Bruno knows that, scoring a goal might kick start him

The Purley King

Rashford was a 4, he wasnt great but his confidence which was on the floor improved after his goal..
Bruno was a solid 7 - a 2 for Bruno smacks of an agenda
Rashford did the square root of feck all apart from the pen.
Bruno likewise. 1st half was utterly dire and second half maybe passably average (being polite).

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Mainoo's pass accuracy was apparently 86%. I thought it was better than that, but even though Everton were not very good, for him to have that effect on the game - and he was up against some well seasoned pros, was astonishing. there's going to be some bad day, for sure, but Ithink we can let Casemiro go to Saudi for a few bob. Mainoo is good enough now.

justsomebloke

Great result but gash performance. It’s not a good sign when a 18 year old makes his debut and has more class and composure than everyone else. People will say we were better after the 2nd and whilst we were it was deffo largely down to Everton giving up.
yes, and they still outshot us by a massive margin AND out-xGed us too.

We had 5 -five - shots. 3 on target. Prior to 2-0 we had pretty much no offensive game at all, save for Garnachos wonder goal.

Very weird game.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

That first half was an bad as anything we’ve served up in the post Fergie era. Just an absolute disasterclass from all involved (Mainoo & Garbacho aside).

ETH is lucky that Garnacho is a genius & Ashley Young is a crap defender.
:lol: there's being overdramatic and then there's essentially admitting you didn't watch any of Mourinho's or Rangnick's last 3 months in charge.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Surprised there’s not a “are we about to break our 08/09 clean sheet run record?” thread yet. That’s 3 in a row in the league.

Yanited__

Garnacho with one of the goals of the season and up there with one of the best individual technique goals I've seen for United. Top stuff. That's all I'll say for the first half.

Second half though, much better. Midfield, in particular Mainoo, dropped even deeper and dictated well. Very composed for an 18 year old. Impressed with how calmy he received the ball and always seemed to turn well. But what surprised me the most is his physicality. Swear he's had a growth spurt or something, he looked small in preseason. Today, he looked up to the challenge from a physical point of view.

Shaw played well I thought for his first game back. Onana looked much more composed in goal in terms of shot stopping, on the ball seems to invite too much pressure. He can handle it but his backline can't. Needs to know when to just hoof it and not sit on the ball for too long.

Bruno got a couple of assists. Rashford got the goal, good for his confidence and so did Martial. And on that note, ridiculous from the referee to book him for simulation. It's almost like at times, they just see the player being fouled and make their minds based off that, rather than actually looking for the foul. Young should've been sent off too. But either way, we take these 3 points and move on to Istanbul.

lex talionis

Job done against a plucky but under talented opponent. Alejandro and Kobbie, our teenagers, stole the show.

Alemar

I hope Mainoo starts against Newcastle. He deserves to.
He will now be starting majority of games, most likely. At the very least one start a week, health permitting, but maybe even more

Yorke to Cole

Newcastle is going to smash us
I fear for our midfield with Joelinton smashing into everyone. I watched their match yesterday and was hoping he was going to get sent off.

I notice he goes down a lot so the rest of the team can regroup. He does the dirt work so Guimaraes can play.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Bruno likewise. 1st half was utterly dire and second half maybe passably average (being polite).
Yeah and who provided the passes for the penalty and Martial's goal?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
After the first half it's kinda hard to think we'd win 3-0 :lol:

Mainoo was excellent. That cracking bicycle kick. Onana made some very good saves. Lot of good things today especially must be first time this season all the goals came from our forwards :lol:
Yeah I had to go to bed at HT cos it was 1:20am and I had to be up at 7am. Was fearing the worst after they mauled us for 25 mins and had 2-2 in my head.
Was not expecting a comfortable win.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
First time I've seen a replay of the whole move to Garnacho's goal as most clips only show it from Dalot taking the ball from Rashford but Lindelof's long diagonal pass onto Rashford's toes was magnificent.

Gator Nate

Three years ago (Nov 7, 2020), we won at Everton, 3-1, with Ole in charge. Seven of today's starters started for us at Everton - Martial, Rashford, Fernandez, McTominay, Shaw, Maguire, and Lindelof. And van de Beek sat the bench the whole game, just like today. Wan Bisaka started that day, where today he subbed in to the same position at the 76th minute. Starter Garnacho and sub Pellistri were signed during Solskjaer's tenure. Mejbri got his senior debut under Ole, too. This was Ole's team winning today. :lol:

All that aside, things had gotten to the point for me that games were hard to watch. Today was not that way. I enjoyed it. Everton had been on a fairly good run of games since the Luton Town loss, and with everything swirling around them, this one scared me. Garnacho took the crowd out of it with that stunner. It took another 25 or 30 minutes for Everton to get their feet again, and they had a good run against us for a bit. I thought we played much better, though.

One thing I did notice is that the backfield _is_ getting better playing the ball around under pressure - it's the midfield that's not able to progress the ball after that. Mainoo had a great game, though, and deserves more starts. I thought Martial did a good job for as little service as he was getting and did take his defensive responsibilities seriously. Rashford struggled in possession. Garnacho did fairly well apart from the goal.

Maguire and Lindelof were more than adequate against this team. Shaw looked respectable coming off his injury. Dalot did well enough. Onana's shaky start to the season needs to be kept in the past. I think he's done well the last several games and today he was on again.

For all the pessimism in this thread today, I rather liked what I saw today compared to what we've seen up to now. People are ignoring that we are the best in-form team right now. As long as we keep getting points, I can put up with a lot. We're not that far away from top four.

BorisManUtd

First half wasn't exactly great except for first 15, 20 minutes. Pressure from Everton fans, whole intensity of the stadium was really fun to watch, even though we struggled with it. In the 2nd half though Everton dropped off, we actually got better and in the end it looked like a comfortable win.

Mainoo great. Garnacho won't sleep tonight thinking about that goal. Onana was good.

We're 6 points behind league leaders so in that regard it's not terrible 1/3 of the season. December fixtures are really difficult though so it'll be crucial month for our season.

Alek M

Da manic one
The future is bright for United. Mainoo, Amad, Mejbri. Love ETH giving Mainoo start over Amrabat. Risky to give first start to a teenager in a tough game. Balsy. Love him bringing Peliatri off who provided positives.

Mainoo will be a star. Quick feet, great vision

Rashford did not do anything right apart from the gimme pk

Mainoo was everywhere
Maguire was so solid.

Mainoo was excelent

Onana had a solid game.

Rashford was horrendous. Bruno’s pass was equisite.

McT didn’t make a single positive forward pass.

Thom Merrilin

Looks very much like Martial had decided to hit the deck before Young's attempt at tackling him. Otherwise known as a dive.
That would actually be imbelishment seeing as contact was in fact made. I don't think it's the case anyways, he went down easy but it wasn't a dive.

croadyman

Delighted with the result and what an unbelievable goal,can’t be giving more clinical teams that many chances though or will get punished

NICanRed

So five of Evertons players (starters and subs) were formerly with United. (Young, Garner, Harrison, Mc Neill and Keane) Would you take any of them back? If your answer is "No" then that might explain why we beat them! They're not good enough.

croadyman

Do people think Erik could have given Hugill a cameo after Martial put us 3-0 up

Ace Krampus

Garnacho won't sleep tonight thinking about that goal.
After that goal I’m sure there will be a bevy of reasons he’s not sleeping tonight.

Good game. Good win. Encouraging stuff. Onana stepped up majorly and made some huge saves. Considering they’re a doomed team Everton looked very dangerous for large stretches which I obviously didn’t love but this is the kind of result you hope the squad can build on.

lysglimt

Scout
I rewatched the game this morning to try and make an opinion on Branthwaite since we have been linked to him. And I understand why he is linked to bigger clubs. He made some minor errors which is down to lack of experience but his pace is impressive. There was an episode near the end of the game where he kept up with Rashfords pace. He reminds me of Pallister - really big, composed, a bit of a slow starter, but his max-pace is great.

Yeah - I think we should keep track of that guy

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
So five of Evertons players (starters and subs) were formerly with United. (Young, Garner, Harrison, Mc Neill and Keane) Would you take any of them back? If your answer is "No" then that might explain why we beat them! They're not good enough.
I will probably take Jimmy Garner back to cover the bench/replace McTom. Garner actually had a good run recently

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Was expecting the worst given we are normally dreadful after international break, its Goodison and they had a reason to be fired up more than usual against us.

Then Garnacho scored the goal of the season and the game was over. Never thought we would lose after that bizarrely, it just took all the fire out of the crowd it was brilliant.

Last 20 minutes of the first half were messy but we seem to be a team that will always give chances away sadly.

Second half much better, Rashfords weird behaviour after scoring aside (that was weird). Lovely 3rd goal and job done, Everton can enjoy being 13 points off the pace now.

Mainoo was fantastic, really tough place to make his first start (and Evertons midfield is pretty decent in fairness) but he did really well.

Special mention for the goal again, it was just stunning. Viva Garnacho :)

Captmfla

Everton will finally relegate this season with high probability. Guess they deserve it.

Great job by Ganarcho, Rashford and Martial in destroying them.

RedIan

So you scored Rashford and Bruno both 2 as both “did absolutely f all.” ?
Rashford overall wasn't great, i scored him a 4, below average but off the top of my head i recall, he controlled lindeloffs long ball with a deft touch and made a lovely weighted pass into dalot to cross for Garnachos goal, he scored a pen whilst low and confidence and under great pressure. He later briefly switched to the left flank and immediately had more impact, making a run and firing a cross in that Garnacho blasted into the side netting. should have been a goal.

Bruno had a pretty decent game, not brilliant but a solid 7, two assists with slide rule passes into martials path into the centre of the box, one led to the penalty and one to the martial 3rd goal. So that ranks him a 2 In your eyes??

lets hope Rashfords confidence improves, hes clearly struggling with it, hopefully he gets back to last years superb. Meanwhile lets all get in his back and fire out the hate..??

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Very good: Mianoo
Good: Garnacho, Martial, Maguire, Pellestri
Decent: Shaw, Bruno, Dalot, Lindelof, AWB
Poor: Rashford, Mactominay
McTominay should be categorized as Invisible, not poor.

Man of the Match

Kobbie Mainoo image Kobbie Mainoo 74% of 326 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 306 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw