EL W Europa League Group A

Manchester United 4:1 Fenerbahce

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 October 2016

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Post up the vids of Mourinho post match when you get them.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Happy with that.

Looked a bit slow first half until we scored and then kicked on. Game time for a few players and leg 2 of a very ticky 12 days done.

On to sunday.

Roosney

Such a great thing for Pogba to score a brace, hopefully it boosts his confidence to get it going in the Prem.
Overall a positive performance.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good match, some really good performances tonight. The players all looked good, hopefully we've got no injuries and hopefully everyone can be fresh for Sunday. In a side note, can we sign RVP back? He'd be the ideal bench striker :drool:

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I actually think the performance could have been better. We were poor in that first half until a moment of magic from Carrick and another one immediately after from Mata essentially ended the game as a contest. It might seem strange to say, but apart from those cracking passes leading up to the penalties we were dull, uninspired and didn't look like creating anything. Then we had two moments where we did actually create something - the Pogba and Lingard goals, before the match pretty much petered out.

It's odd to be picking at a 4-1 win, but I would have liked to see more sustained quality - Fenerbache were poor and it was the right stage for us to put in a dominant performance, but it never came despite the scoreline. Saying that, it was a changed line-up, so there is some mitigation.

podurban2

Seemed a lot of players made a good case for themselves against Chelski. Mata, Lingard, Martial, Carrick?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Im glad we are in the Europa league.
No Midweek football is annoying.
Plus our squad is so bloated we need the fixtures plus Jose can assess the fringe players.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good win tonight once we finally got going. I wouldn't normally say this about the opposition but it was nice to see RVP get a goal on his return and a truly classy applause from our fans.

Ibi Dreams

It's odd to be picking at a 4-1 win, but I would have liked to see more sustained quality - Fenerbache were poor and it was the right stage for us to put in a dominant performance, but it never came despite the scoreline. Saying that, it was a changed line-up, so there is some mitigation.
I don't really know what you'd call that if not dominant. We were in complete control for virtually the entire game, and the game was over after about 30 minutes. We hadn't created many chances up to that point but I felt they were always going to come, we were pressuring them relentlessly and playing some nice quick football around the box. They gave away two stonewall penalties because we had forced them into trouble twice in quick succession, it's not like we just got lucky. Then in the second half we created a few really decent chances and could have scored a couple more.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Started out all possession and no punch, as the commentator said. Seemed like the usual story of getting stuck in the final third with nowhere to move.

Thankfully the pens opened it up and it was very enjoyable. Great to see Pogba get a decent goal. Looked like he was itching to shoot before that.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't really know what you'd call that if not dominant. We were in complete control for virtually the entire game, and the game was over after about 30 minutes. We hadn't created many chances up to that point but I felt they were always going to come, we were pressuring them relentlessly and playing some nice quick football around the box. They gave away two stonewall penalties because we had forced them into trouble twice in quick succession, it's not like we just got lucky. Then in the second half we created a few really decent chances and could have scored a couple more.
We were in control, yes. But I mean a really dominant attacking game. We had 2 penalties and the goal in injury time in the first half, but apart from those moments we looked stale. Like I say, it sounds like a strange complaint, but what I mean is that I would like to see more consistent quality and threat. We've had 0-0s and defeats where we were more consistently threatening throughout.

Drz

Boom shaka laka laka, PogBoom Shaka laka!!!

Ok got that out of my system.
Good overall performance, the team still lacks cohesion though. Playing out of defence is one of the things to be worked on some more (notably when pressed high).

Rooney had a decent game, and his shortcomings didn't impede him from helping the team.

Lingard provided good movement, an assist and a cracker to brag about, fully deserved. (We those "duets" were coming)

His dance partner / teammate Pogba had a good game. The quality of his finish on both goals itself make it a good game. He started a bit "iffy" (leaving Carrick stranded on occasion in the beginning) but grew into the game. Can and should improve further, no rest for the true warriors.

Martial is growing in confidence, and was a willing runner behind the defence, which was a breath of fresh air. Looked fit and willing to run, just needs more minutes to find form.

Memphis has totally lost confidence, and rumours are he will have to look for it elsewhere, a shame.

Shaw had a poor game in my book, very "50/50" thought he intercepted well but then seemed confused and dillie-dallied on the ball, it was encapsulated by letting Van Persie in for an easy tap-in. In fairness though he wasn't the only responsible for that goal, Bailly was exhausted and didn't do enough to block the crosser also, Rojo was out of position.

Van Persie, you beauty!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Decent performance. We would never get 4 past ANY team above Sunday League standard last season let alone do it with ease, so don't buy this idea we haven't improved. The last two goals were classy too...well everything apart from the celebration, which my dad just looked at me in disgust to explain, and I couldn't.

- I thought Mata's final ball was poor on far too many occasions. He played some good balls too and got into good positions all game. By no means a rubbish performance, but he kept overhitting easy passes...and seems to lack the ability to not pass the ball to someone in a LESS good shooting position than he is.

- Carrick played some good stuff but I think demonstrated more why he won't play on Sunday than why he should. He STILL seems to think he can take as long on the ball as he wants, and when we're not in possession opposition players just run past him. Away to Chelsea is definitely not the game where you can get away with that kind of luxury.

- Darmian still looked a bit rubbish but at least he looked like he was trying not to be. He's been upgraded to me feeling soorry for him and wanting him to do well, from his previous rating of just hoping he got lost on his way to the stadium or something.

- I thought Rooney, despite being pointless and not very good, was less rubbish than Zlatan has been in any recent games. Purely by not fecking up 90% of our attacks.

- I was happy for RVP, but that goal was absolutely pathetic from our point of view. Why did Shaw and Carrick even bother running back if they were not going to btoehr picking up the ONE player they'd run back with? Why even bother being on the fecking pitch when the other team have the ball if you're going to be that useless?

- There needs to be an off button on Robbie Savage...and I don't mean as in you turn the sound off to his mic. An actual off button, on him. So he shuts down and you just wheel him off into a storage cupboard somewhere.

- The commentary in general. At one point Ian Darke was talking about Paraguay...why? He just kept waffling on about stuff that had nothing to do with anything. He explained why, according to the rules, the referee COULDN'T give a red card for the second penalty, then less than a minute later went into a massive whinge about how it should have been a red card. How can you be "officially injured"...you get a certificate for it from the FA or something? "Ander Hrrrerer" "Irahmmmmvch"

Mitser

Good to see us run riot against an average side.
Great that certain players (Tony M, Shaw, Carrick etc) got some much needed game time, was particularly happy to see TFM come on for Pogba. Thought he did ok, man he looks quick too.

Glad we look injury free for Chelski on Sunday. Want a good performance there, Ibra better be on his game.

Kopral Jono

Imagine being a Fenerbahce fan, travelling all the way to Manchester from Turkey (or Haringey), and see your team producing a disgrace of a performance like we saw earlier. Comfortable win but the opposition made it easy for us. Impressed with Mata and Lingard.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great performance, what can't we do this every game? Just attack from the off and close down opponents like theres no tomorrow.

beergod

It really was the perfect game plan for what Fenerbahce wanted to do. Unlike last season where we would've focused on retaining possession, we moved the ball around with the more pace and freedom and used losses of possession to ratchet down the pressure even more with our surprisingly good pressing instead of allowing the team a respite. They never had time to rest and regroup and the result was well deserved.

suheilsworld

Decent win. Important win. Hope it was a confidence booster for the players. It is high time we get a 3 point in PL. We need to keep pace with the leaders.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Enjoayable game

Memphis looked decent when he came on. TFM looked impressive in midfield when he came on.
Seriously? I thought he was bog average again. Did nothing that stood out at all and made a couple of bad passes, one of which with his left was into the box for someone running in who would have had a great chance of a goal had Depay managed to get it past the only defender near him.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm surprised the MoM vote is so heavily favoured towards Pogba. I knew he'd get votes because of his two goals but I thought it'd be closer between him and Mata, who got my vote. Juan was absolutely fantastic. Did everything a number 10 needed to do. Personally thought he was better than Pogba.

Coops73

Good game, I thought Carrick, Pogba, Lingard and Mata all had good games but for me Carrick just edged it, great passing and vision and always forward thinking. I personally would like to see him get more premiership game time but with the form of Herrera I don't see it happening anytime soon. Good to see Pogba really step up, again, great vision and distribution and I hope this game will give him the confidence to play like that against the chavs on Sunday, I'd even put up with those wanky dances with Lingard if they continued to play like that.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 58% of 632 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 445 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fenerbahce win
  • Draw