FA W FA Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 3:1 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 March 2023

Loon

:lol:
People bringing up Fernandes and the lino conveniently forgetting the Lino put HIS hands on Fernandes first. There’s a rule about that too, no?

Gjx

Just read through the match day thread for those 3 minutes :houllier:

Why are people streaming a game that’s on ITV?
Why would you listen to Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon when you don't have to? Haven't watched a live match with English coms for a few seasons now, it's a game changer, so much easier to take in the match and not have your piss boiled by stupid remarks or blatent agendas.

JustinC00

Comments here that Fulham “deserved” to win the game need to understand that the game is played over 90+ minutes, not 60 minutes. Fulham were of course the better team for 60 minutes, but that’s not good enough to deserve anything.

As soon as Fulham were finally put under pressure, they imploded. We took advantage of their implosion. We deserved the win.
It's funny because some people act like the Antony-Sancho counter didn't happen when they had 11. Antony replaced McTominay, Sancho went to LW and we went 442 we grew back into it. Willian doesn't get to that ball its 1-1, Fulham still would have had 11 but momentum would have been ours and I would have fancied us to get another

2Injurytimegoal

I can't wait to have Eriksen back to start, he intelligent passing would help Sancho, Antony and may be Wout.

Sancho love to play little triangle in a very tight area, so far only Bruno, Shaw and Rashy is technically enough to play this with him, he is kinda pass and move type of attacker, not Garnacho who always like to take defender 1v1.

Gator Nate

Overall, I didn't think we were that far behind Fulham through the match, and Fulham ARE deservedly one of the top-half teams this season. Given the squad EtH had to pick from, thought we were doing OK.

Steady on there. No, it wasn't a good performance and we clearly are missing Casemiro when he isn't playing (and also, in this case, Varane, Eriksen, Martial and Antony). But I don't think we're that far away. We're doing pretty well even with a horrenduous schedule and several key injuries.

Not sure I'd emphasise McTominay for positives yesterday - he was, I think, our weakest perfomer all in all. Bruno in the end had contributed quite a lot and had a fairly strong game in my view, and Sancho grew into the game well too. And ETH hit the nail on the head with his subs once again - both Antony and Fred had very good cameos.
This point gets totally lost in game day threads and is seeming to get lost in post-match, too. EtH is navigating us through the most ridiculous run of games possible and his lineups and substitutions are a key part of it. We keep winning, and we keep doing it in the last 20-30 minutes of every game.

It's funny because some people act like the Antony-Sancho counter didn't happen when they had 11. Antony replaced McTominay, Sancho went to LW and we went 442 we grew back into it. Willian doesn't get to that ball its 1-1, Fulham still would have had 11 but momentum would have been ours and I would have fancied us to get another
Willian's punch-out at the ball was so blatant...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That was lucky. I hope Rashford, Shaw, Fernandez and Wout do not play much for their call ups. Some good rest will do a world of good for the club.

DSG

Shocker of a performance and what worried me the most was the lack of identity in our play.

We simply cannot play with McT, Maguire and Weghorst in the same 11 again. They are so slow and cumbersome on the ball. Weggy has had his moments at times but when you play McT and Maguire in the same team you get no pace of pass and that lack of tempo of moving the ball makes us far too easy to play against. We've all seen this over recent years but watching yesterday it was so evident that those two are hugely out of their depth here go completely against what ETH has brought to the team and both must be sold in the summer.
I had the same exact takeaways. I was thinking about how poor a fit Scotty is in Ten Hag’s setup. Look, I respect McT, he’s scored some important goals for us and had great performances over the years. But he’s just not neat enough on the ball for the modern game. “Three touch Scotty” should be his nickname. He literally needs 3 touches before playing a pass. On the flip side, Casemiro and Eriksen are such great ball movers, the drop off to McTominay is really severe.

I think that there is no road back for Maguire. You really can’t play him with Lisandro because he doesn’t have pace. In every other category, tackling, distribution, leadership, instincts, tenacity, Lisandro is miles better. Even when paired with Varane, Maguire just can’t seem to fit Ten Hag’s system. We are so much slower playing out of the back with Maguire.

Weghorst. I know we are reluctant to criticize because he was hand picked by Ten Hag, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade. A striker needs to score, bottom line. He’s a willing runner, but rarely makes the right run. He’s slow off the mark, a poor finisher and for being so tall, not particularly great on set pieces.

Lost bear

Yeah it's properly weird that so many people seem to be discounting this fact. We had been on top for 5 or 10 minutes before the red card, Antony had made a big difference to the game. Then if Willian doesn't handle the ball, it is 1-1. Huge momentum shift and likely only one winner from that point. But no, it's all about Fulham.

We can agree we didn't play well without going OTT.
Yeah, agreed.

lex talionis

An important point the crazed British media should be made aware of. We had begun to take control of the game after McTominay was subbed off. 1-1, Mr momentum goes our way and we’re a decent shout to score again as by then we had picked their lock. And De Gea had already shut the door on Fulham with two brilliant saves and one routine save, at least by De Gea standards.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 50% of 283 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 246 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw