PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Hull City

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 February 2017

Fully Fledged

completely irrelevant.

so is the rest of your post because we had the chances before that happened so the game would have changed. You can't ignore all our dominance and chances so that you can fish out their one chance in injury time or whenever it was.
What's irrelevant who we are playing against? We can't beat the team that was bottom of the league That's totally relevant. It's is as simple as that.
What I was saying is that saying if this happened or that happen then we might have beat the bottom team in the league is irrelevant. We didn't score we haven't been scoring all season.

RedMilo

I went to game last night and have to say it never felt like we were going to score which is worrying. I thought Jose had turned a corner with this team but we have gone backwards in recent weeks since the Liverpool game.
Even the 4-0 against Wigan flattered us.
We have a squad full of average to good players, our only true world class player remains De Gea despite all the money we have spent.
Rooney is a spent force regrettably & Zlatan is lazy and gives away more fouls which I put down to his age.
Our best player this season has been Valencia and if he doesn't play well, we don't look like scoring.
In midfield, Pogba is hit & miss, Carrick is another spent force & Herrera has moments of brilliance and then gets lost in the game.
Mata tries and chips in with goals but is too lightweight for our style of play. I cant understand the managers thinking with Martial & to a lesser extent Shaw. To not bring on Martial ahead of one of Rooney or Mata was criminal and the amount of times I thought Blind should be helping Rashford more but I cant recall him overlapping him once.
Man of the match was Phil Jones before his injury. Ref was appalling but we cant blame him for drawing 0-0 vs Hull City at home FFS.....

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I went to game last night and have to say it never felt like we were going to score which is worrying. I thought Jose had turned a corner with this team but we have gone backwards in recent weeks since the Liverpool game.
Even the 4-0 against Wigan flattered us.
We have a squad full of average to good players, our only true world class player remains De Gea despite all the money we have spent.
Rooney is a spent force regrettably & Zlatan is lazy and gives away more fouls which I put down to his age.
Our best player this season has been Valencia and if he doesn't play well, we don't look like scoring.
In midfield, Pogba is hit & miss, Carrick is another spent force & Herrera has moments of brilliance and then gets lost in the game.
Mata tries and chips in with goals but is too lightweight for our style of play. I cant understand the managers thinking with Martial & to a lesser extent Shaw. To not bring on Martial ahead of one of Rooney or Mata was criminal and the amount of times I thought Blind should be helping Rashford more but I cant recall him overlapping him once.
Man of the match was Phil Jones before his injury. Ref was appalling but we cant blame him for drawing 0-0 vs Hull City at home FFS.....
Agree with some parts, but think you're woefully harsh on others.

How many "world class" players do any of our league rivals have out of interest?

If you're not rating Pogba as such, then i'd suggest you'd find Liverpool 0 , Arsenal 1 (can we count Ozil the way he's in and out? No), Chelsea, 2 at tops? City, 2 at tops? (Aguero hasn't been great this season though), Tottenham, 0.

Valencia i'm a big fan of, but he never seems to get a cross in. He's marvellous at getting up and down, but unless he literally has acres of space beyond his man, always seems to get blocked.
I really wish Beckham could coach him on how to get crosses in, even with a man in front of him

Overall, I think the players are plenty good enough to ruin most teams In the league, but we're playing too slowly, with the parts not quite connecting.
Martial and Shaw are a big worry for me. That should be up there with any team's left side, but both are having very frustrating seasons. Most worrying with Martial, as he was at points a one man attack last year

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Presumably you did something useful at half-time then.:cool:
I'm in the USA and I always record and watch later without knowing the result. If I zip through goal kicks and some throw-ins I can usually watch a whole match in 85 minutes. I'm too busy to take much time to watch football.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I'm in the USA and I always record and watch later without knowing the result. If I zip through goal kicks and some throw-ins I can usually watch a whole match in 85 minutes. I'm too busy to take much time to watch football.
It's probably closer to an hour. I think the ball was only in play 59 minutes against Hull.

If you're looking for a bad-fan shortcut... for games I cant watch live in NZ I bring up the form table first thing in the morning. (http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html)

- If the last square is green (win) I watch the whole 90 and set proper time aside, not knowing the score.
- If it's orange (draw) I watch casually
- If it's red I check the result and make as much time as the result warrants.

It sucks, but after 2 seasons of Moyes and LvG kicking out unpredictable results I couldn't justify 3am viewings anymore.

Tonjo

I think it is time to utilize Blind in the defensive midfield role. he can take over Carrick in the longer term.
Of all the left backs United have, none of them can cross the ball with accuracy. Only Blind comes near to that. That is why, United wanted to recall Borthwick-Jackson who can come with some decent crosses.
Maybe Ashley young should be transformed into another left back just like Valencia.
With some good crosses, I am sure Zlatan can score more goals than he has.

Tonjo

I have a suspicion that not playing Martial regularly could be coming from the top management and If I recalled correctly, there are bonuses (millions) that United has to pay Monaco if he clocks more league matches excluding cup games. If not why change a winning team when he did well against Wigan.

Jaxdan

Same here. I have DirecTV with PL Extra Time, etc., so I have every match in the league available to record and fill up my Genie DVR on most weekends. I always watch Utd start to finish, usually just an hour or so behind, but I zip through most of the others unless it's a compelling match. It's sometimes hard to not know the score though with all the 'alerts' etc. on my devices and social media. I admit, I sometimes peek at the score in advance. :cool:

unitedforeveral

Everybody has to relax. Of course we didn't play well, of course we're looking clumsy and also of course it was at Old Trafford and finally of course it was Hull City who are 19th at the moment but regardless of all that, we still didn't lose the run in PL. I know, i'm not saying i'm happy with the draw but i'm saying there can be such frustrating days in a long season. Mentality is our ONLY problem, we do not lack in skill,stamina or technique.

For things this United team should be briefed about before match day,

1) Building from the back is something every team wishes to do and in order for that to happen, everyone in the team has to contribute when on/off the ball.
2) We definitely cannot cannot go back towards our own goal.
3) Identify or select one midfielder who can set the pace and always feed him the ball. (I think it should be Herrera and not Pogba)
4) The front 3 along with Pogba have to get their act together. It simply is not good enough if you bottle your chances. Set smaller goals and ask them to achieve it.

OR

1) ONLY ACCEPT 90% and/or above PASS ACCURACY from EVERYONE! only meaning that the goal will eventually come.

If we cannot get our heads high and go on a run now, i don't think we'll be able to achieve anything! It is just a mentality factor, the games at OT are annoyingly slow all the time. Jose is not the one with the problem, the boys are. Top 4 still up for grabs.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fellaini doesn't bring anything different to the attack, in fact he would made the attack more slower.
The ball was already in the final 3rd. We were camped in front of their goal.
The problem was that playing balls through the middle, using intricate passing was not working because there were so many bodies in the penalty area.
You may not like the guy, but Fellaini adds chaos and vital goals, when Plan A is not working. This has been proven on multiple occasions during the last 2 seasons.

Fitchett

The ball was already in the final 3rd. We were camped in front of their goal.
The problem was that playing balls through the middle, using intricate passing was not working because there were so many bodies in the penalty area.
You may not like the guy, but Fellaini adds chaos and vital goals, when Plan A is not working. This has been proven on multiple occasions during the last 2 seasons.
Agreed, I'm no fan of Fellaini, but he should have been used as the Plan B in the 2nd half. Bringing him on to support Ibra would have doubled our aerial threat, as we were getting nowhere with our passing game. We were too predictable and rarely looked like unpicking a packed defence. Fellaini's strength is that he can cause chaos and havoc in a packed defence. It would not have been pretty, but he'd have been our best bet to unsettle Hull's defence and engineer a goal, for a team mate if not himself. I'd much rather see him in the opposition box, instead of giving away two penalties as he has done in our box this season.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Why wouldn't a person who takes the effort to register for a football forum on the internet know about Lev Yashin, though?
Because some people have no time for history; unless it pertains to "your" team, shame really.
I bet there's a shit load of youngsters aren't even familiar with Gordon Banks, let alone "The Black Panther". (For those who don't remember goalies jersey's of the past, there was a time when English keepers all wore green; Yellow was reserved for the national team and NO keeper even thought to wear an all black strip like Yashin!
I hope I'm wrong but the talent of the 50's, 60's (and other bygone era's) are lost on most, despite there being plenty of videos about. Sign o' the times methinks :confused:

LeftyBlaster

I think it is time to utilize Blind in the defensive midfield role. he can take over Carrick in the longer term.
Of all the left backs United have, none of them can cross the ball with accuracy. Only Blind comes near to that. That is why, United wanted to recall Borthwick-Jackson who can come with some decent crosses.
Maybe Ashley young should be transformed into another left back just like Valencia.
With some good crosses, I am sure Zlatan can score more goals than he has.
Completely agree with this

MuranoLover

Mata didn't play badly. If he scored that goal which 99% of the time would have gone in (save for that crazy save last night), you would be saying different. He created and did a hell of a lot more than Rooney.
We only started playing well when Mata came on the pitch...
What he must have done is score that simple chance , everything else vanishes when you miss such a sitter

Esquire

What he must have done is score that simple chance , everything else vanishes when you miss such a sitter
If you play football on any level, you would realise that sometimes the goaltender simply robs you even when you have a sitter.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 448 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Man Utd 2:0 Hull City
  • 30% Man Utd 3:0 Hull City