PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 February 2023

RopersReturn

Sabitzer should have received a yellow.
Didn't watch the Spurs game, but Rashford was onside. In my view, I think VAR should not be used for offside calls. I think the laws should be changed back to the "daylight" standard between attacker and defender. If they are close enough, as in you can't see daylight, then feck it, it's onside. I absolutely loathe that we have to do these VAR lines and shit. The offside law is to keep a player from gaining an unfair advantage, or goal hanging. I don't think VAR and lines drawn on the screen are needed.

Also, can we get our money back on the Maguire deal?
Well said sir.

Edgio

Didn't watch the Spurs game, but Rashford was onside. In my view, I think VAR should not be used for offside calls. I think the laws should be changed back to the "daylight" standard between attacker and defender. If they are close enough, as in you can't see daylight, then feck it, it's onside. I absolutely loathe that we have to do these VAR lines and shit. The offside law is to keep a player from gaining an unfair advantage, or goal hanging. I don't think VAR and lines drawn on the screen are needed.

The Twitter debates with people who are unable to comprehend perspective are hilarious though

lex talionis

At the time inside OT it didn’t look like much, but watching the video after the game Sabitzer could have easily gotten a red.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Yup. Agree. It should have been a yellow. It was clumsy more than anything. It was definitely unintentional. If it was, I would imagine he would have step on it harder with much more force. He wanted to flick the ball away. These kind of incidents are normal in football.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City

It was a leg breaker, red all day. No you may not.

justsomebloke

To try and get back on the game; a very good performance with gamebreaking performances by De Gea and Rashford, and mostly very good performances by most of the others. It's all been covered, but I have two observations that's sticking with me.

1. Dalot. Defensively, he's still looking a lot more like the mess he was last season than the much improved player he was this season before getting injured. The issues are the old familiar ones: He's way too passive one-on-one, stands off his man at such a distance he isn't able to meaningfully interfere, which frequently results in dangerous passes and crosses. And his positioning and marking is all over the place. At least two of Leicester's biggest first-half chances were directly connected to brain farts where he's not covering his man. He really needs to get his defensive game back, or the RB problem is back on the table. The way he's playing currently, AWB is a better and safer option, in my view.

2. Sancho. That's two starts where he's been downright awful, and twice coming on as a sub where he's been absolutely dominant. What I take from that is he's well on his way back, but not fully there yet.

It was a leg breaker, red all day. No you may not.
Why didn't it break his leg or cause any damage then? Usually, when bad tackles don't seriously injure, it's because the leg isn't planted. In this case Faes' leg was, the reason no injury was caused was because Sabitzer tried pulling out at the last moment and went in with very little force. If he'd seen red I'd have no complaints because end of the day it's high and studs up, and the fact that he didn't see yellow at least is laughable, but it's not a clearcut red because of several mitigating factors. I do think if Faes had rolled around a bit it would've been one.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It was a red card type tackle, but didn't appear forceful. He certainly didn't go through on him. Garth Crooks hilariously called it the worst tackle he had seen in years. I wonder how he makes his teams of the week cos he clearly can't be watching football regularly.
The cannot comment with exaggerating everything, it is either the best they have ever seen or the worst.

Member 125288

Why didn't it break his leg or cause any damage then? Usually, when bad tackles don't seriously injure, it's because the leg isn't planted. In this case Faes' leg was, the reason no injury was caused was because Sabitzer tried pulling out at the last moment and went in with very little force. If he'd seen red I'd have no complaints because end of the day it's high and studs up, and the fact that he didn't see yellow at least is laughable, but it's not a clearcut red because of several mitigating factors. I do think if Faes had rolled around a bit it would've been one.
If you watch it in real-time instead of fixating on slow-motion replays or freeze-frames deliberately at the point it looks worst, it was nothing at all.

Yellow would’ve been fair, it lacked excessive force and clearly wasn’t dangerous or Faes wouldn’t have been running around 30 seconds later like nothing happened.

Suggestions it was a “leg-breaker” or the “worst tackle in years” are laughable.

arthurka

I do worry that Bruno running himself into the ground as often as he does will result in a shorter career, that's basically what happened with Rooney. High chance he'll be spent by 31/32.
Bruno doesn't strike me as a over eating and the booze bender type. Rooney had problems with many other things during his playing days than always being fit.

georgipep

To try and get back on the game; a very good performance with gamebreaking performances by De Gea and Rashford, and mostly very good performances by most of the others. It's all been covered, but I have two observations that's sticking with me.

1. Dalot. Defensively, he's still looking a lot more like the mess he was last season than the much improved player he was this season before getting injured. The issues are the old familiar ones: He's way too passive one-on-one, stands off his man at such a distance he isn't able to meaningfully interfere, which frequently results in dangerous passes and crosses. And his positioning and marking is all over the place. At least two of Leicester's biggest first-half chances were directly connected to brain farts where he's not covering his man. He really needs to get his defensive game back, or the RB problem is back on the table. The way he's playing currently, AWB is a better and safer option, in my view.

2. Sancho. That's two starts where he's been downright awful, and twice coming on as a sub where he's been absolutely dominant. What I take from that is he's well on his way back, but not fully there yet.
What were the two starts he was awful? His off the ball performances have been amazing. He tracks back and marks his fullback so much better than Garnacho and Rashford when playing on the wing, and is a safe outlet when in the #10 position.

justsomebloke

What were the two starts he was awful? His off the ball performances have been amazing. He tracks back and marks his fullback so much better than Garnacho and Rashford when playing on the wing, and is a safe outlet when in the #10 position.
Barcelona and the 2-0 over Leeds, where he barely contributed anything - at least not in the attacking part of the game, which is after all the primary reason he's out there.

RuudTom83

Only just realised that United started against Leicester without a bunch of the new guys EtH has brought in...Malacia, Eriksen, Casemiro and Antony.

Impressive!

georgipep

Barcelona and the 2-0 over Leeds, where he barely contributed anything - at least not in the attacking part of the game, which is after all the primary reason he's out there.
I do not have fresh memories of the Leeds game but vs Barcelona Sancho was fantastic in both attack and defence. I suggest you re-watch the game.

justsomebloke

I do not have fresh memories of the Leeds game but vs Barcelona Sancho was fantastic in both attack and defence. I suggest you re-watch the game.
I respectfully invite you to do the same. Sancho was a total non-factor offensively against Barcelona.

I do try to watch games attentively, and don't go on vague general impressions. If one doesn't, I'm well aware that let's say the more systemic contributions tend to get overlooked in favor of a few dramatic key moments. But I'm genuinely flabbergasted by the notion of Sancho providing much at all offensively, let alone being "fantastic". I also note, although that is hardly conclusive, that he drew a 5.8 rating at this site (worsted only by Weghorst), which I for one thought rather generous, and was substituted at 61 minutes. I know you're no fool, and if you'd like to explain to me what you think I've missed, I can at least promise I'll give it a fair hearing.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

Martinez getting smashed in the face with an elbow (against Palace) also not a red.

Sometimes catching someone in a dangerous way doesn't automatically result in a red. The players reactions to Sabitzer's tackle says a lot, it was minimal force and caused no damage...the only footage you will see that is red card worthy are the 3 still frames.

lex talionis

Sancho and Bruno worked some pretty decent magic. This look of Rashford/Sancho/Bruno could become a thing of terrifying beauty.

Gator Nate

Outstanding game. I missed most of the second half live; came back and watched it through the first two goals. Didn't think the first half issues were so much our poor play as it was Leicester showing up to play. The game started very evenly matched but the Foxes couldn't keep that going. We could, which is much of the difference in our play this year - we either outlast our opponents or ETH makes changes that put us over the top.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Outstanding game. I missed most of the second half live; came back and watched it through the first two goals. Didn't think the first half issues were so much our poor play as it was Leicester showing up to play. The game started very evenly matched but the Foxes couldn't keep that going. We could, which is much of the difference in our play this year - we either outlast our opponents or ETH makes changes that put us over the top.
Yeah, agreed. Standard caf response to any time the opposition causes problems is to blame anyone and everyone in red (including the manager) without giving the opposition any credit at all. Leicester have come good recently and their last three results (10 goals scored in 3 games vs Brighton, Villa and Spurs) puts their first half performance in perspective. It will be interesting to see how they do in their upcoming fixtures vs Arsenal and Chelsea.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, agreed. Standard caf response to any time the opposition causes problems is to blame anyone and everyone in red (including the manager) without giving the opposition any credit at all. Leicester have come good recently and their last three results (10 goals scored in 3 games vs Brighton, Villa and Spurs) puts their first half performance in perspective. It will be interesting to see how they do in their upcoming fixtures vs Arsenal and Chelsea.
Looking forward to seeing Leicester v Arsenal, could be a cracking game. Let's hope Leicester can convert some of the chances they undoubtedly will create, whilst I expect Arsenal to score at least one goal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Looking forward to seeing Leicester v Arsenal, could be a cracking game. Let's hope Leicester can convert some of the chances they undoubtedly will create, whilst I expect Arsenal to score at least one goal.
I just hope we haven’t knocked the stuffing out of them. After their shitty start to the season they must be fairly fragile mentally and they looked broken by the end of the game.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I just hope we haven’t knocked the stuffing out of them. After their shitty start to the season they must be fairly fragile mentally and they looked broken by the end of the game.
If
If Brendan Rodgers is worth his salt, he will point out how well they played before United scored, and I would expect to see them attack Arsenal as they did us early on. Mind you, Arsenal play well on the counter attack, so it could well be end to end stuff.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 349 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Leicester
  • 25% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester