FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Manchester United 4:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 March 2024

Hughie77

Great win , there was a dipper on the Radio Monday.. he was getting realy agitated as Goldstien was winding up ..ohh it was great ..
I don't realy care how we played in 2nd half , we were better in 1st half and 30 mins of extra time.. stupid Red though come on what a rule, Ref saw that missed the numerous fouls the Dippers were doing...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Not a chance. The Liverpool player played the ball on the Bruno's foot, who threw himself to the ground, brainfart AWB stands and complains to the ref and Liverpool take the ball and score. Completely stupid and pathetic from the two of them.
You might have had replies since or rewatched but he hits Bruno first, then gets a foot on the ball. I posted a video in the John Brooks thread.

Trying to be unbiased but I’d err on a foul. Soft maybe (and Bruno’s rep possibly didn’t help)

Heinzesight

You might have had replies since or rewatched but he hits Bruno first, then gets a foot on the ball. I posted a video in the John Brooks thread.

Trying to be unbiased but I’d err on a foul. Soft maybe (and Bruno’s rep possibly didn’t help)
And the ref had given us a free kick for exactly the same foul (maybe even softer) moments earlier with the same two players involved.

RuudTom83

It was such a great cup tie!

Makes you wonder how the league match will go in a few weeks. You would still favour Liverpool but beating them twice in the space of a month would be a huge statement.

Oldyella

It was such a great cup tie!

Makes you wonder how the league match will go in a few weeks. You would still favour Liverpool but beating them twice in the space of a month would be a huge statement.
Wil probably be a drab game, as will be a lot of expectation for another barnstomer and they normally fall flat.

I’ve been rewatching it (third time now) and I noticed that somehow “the greatest CH the Premier League has ever seen” was around and about most of our goals but surprisingly (given he’s the greatest, etc, etc) couldn’t do anything to prevent them.

I also noticed the weird kick he does after Antony’s shot goes past him. I know it’s instinct but he looks like he’s got a tic and his leg has randomly kicked out at a ghost ball

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Still smiling thinking of it but occasionally I think of Amad getting yellow carded and I get mad! The first yellow was so unjustified.The Liverpool player tries to take the freekick about 5 yards from the correct spot FFS! Amad stops him and gets a yellow! Then the yellow for talking his shirt off? I mean Fcuk that rule!

NLunited

Still smiling thinking of it but occasionally I think of Amad getting yellow carded and I get mad! The first yellow was so unjustified.The Liverpool player tries to take the freekick about 5 yards from the correct spot FFS! Amad stops him and gets a yellow! Then the yellow for talking his shirt off? I mean Fcuk that rule!
That ref was a scouse wanker.

mav_9me

Two games (ExG):

Liverpool - Man Utd 2.46 - 0.55
Man Utd - Liverpool 2.81 - 0.65

Aggregate:

Man Utd - Liverpool 3.36 - 3.11

Which two games?
That's the 7-0 game. Not sure about the other one, maybe our home win last season?

Stig

He is a very silly boy with no common sense is probably the politest way to describe him.

Wing Attack Plan R

Mainoo is going to be one heck of a player!
Not for sale at any price. He danced through the Liverpool midfield, he felt no pressure having 3 or 4 opponents harry him. He’s going to be world class. He will anchor our midfield for next decade.
I like this article, starting with the title, then the 2nd headline

Erik ten Hag the dreamer reaps reward for letting adrenaline run wild | FA Cup | The Guardian

Manchester United’s FA Cup quarter-final win over Liverpool shows that sometimes chaos can triumph over structure

And that word chaos seems to remind me of something Del Bosque once said about Ferguson, calling him a tactical anarchist
Ten Hag’s final formation makes the craziest manager seem like a traditionalist.
Get in there

By Christ that was amazing thought we were done in extra time but that was something else altogether.

Amads red card is easily our best red card of all time.

Still buzzing
I liked Keane stamping on Gareth Southgate’s ribs too.
Well, seven goals wasn't a huge surprise... I just thought we might only get one or two of them! But by 30 mins in, I thought some United teams in the past would have had the game won, Liverpool were that ordinary.

The fact that heads didn't drop (making a nice change) was great but it was an odd game: as a team we were not great but so many really good performances individually: Onana (although I do wonder about the save before the second goal; it needed pushing away from the danger area), Dalot, who was fantastic, McT (most will disagree, I'm sure) he actually was a box-to-box midfielder with some excellent blocks and defensive headers, and the MoM for me Garnacho, who drove their defence mad. And Mainoo would get into their team... just needs to get a bit stronger.

Also pretty good from Rashford by recent standards and even Antony made a difference. plus Maguire's attitude was spot on. Lindelof did well too despite having to play in abut three different positions, AWB some good things some bad. As for Varane, i've been a huge fan but and he's always made up for a slight lack of pace by reading the game so well, but he may be done sadly.

And then there was Amad.. don't want to get carried away but he does look good player and it was a top-class finish because he ball from Garno wasn't perfect.

The boss? Well, he gambled and won - not that he had much choice. But the line-up by the end was hilarious. When Rashford missed right at the end, ii couldn't see how we could play the 30 minutes with so many players out of position. But I repeat, Liverpool just weren't that good. We actually had more (and, in general, better) chances.

Can we beat City in the final? I don' think so... just have to hope Chelsea play out of their skins. And trivia time: has the FA Cup Final ever been played by the same two clubs in successive years? i can' remember it happening.

PS - I didn't even notice until just now that Mount got on! and whichever pen-pusher thought it was a good idea to book players for taking their shirt off (especially if they've got another one underneath), is a sad little f*ck)
Mitchmouse you gotta believe. Everything you said I agree with.
I forgot to mention AWB in my earlier post. He was immense. Coming back from injury and putting in an awesome shift like that, very proud of him. Defending and controling the ball. Dalot and him were amazing.
Every single player in our team earned praise from the fans. They all gave everything they had. It makes me feel dirty for criticizing any of them. They clearly care, they clearly want to play for this manager and the fans. Every single United player was a legend.

Grande

Two games (ExG):

Liverpool - Man Utd 2.46 - 0.55
Man Utd - Liverpool 2.81 - 0.65

Aggregate:

Man Utd - Liverpool 3.36 - 3.11

Which two games?
Last seasons 2-1 and 7-0?
That's the 7-0 game. Not sure about the other one, maybe our home win last season?
One is right (0-7), the other is wrong. :) We are talking about the 4-3 game on Sunday, according to Statsbomb according to MUSCSB (2.81-0.65). Going back, I can’t find the stats on Statsbomb on the free stats, and I see different sources have different numbers.

Opta has Man Utd - Liverpool 3.93 - 2.25
The XG Philosophy: MU - Livp 4.25 - 2.18
(3.13 - 1.91 after 90 mins).

Still, curious that the xG should more or less average out over the two 7-goals-games. Though I did remember that last year, more or less every scouse attempt flew in.

Red00012

Spotted that on the Utd app they did a 120 in 20 highlights. So I watched it again and I’ll probably watch it again tonight !

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
How many times have people watched highlights from the game?

Think I'll have another watch this morning.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Spotted that on the Utd app they did a 120 in 20 highlights. So I watched it again and I’ll probably watch it again tonight !
I literally didn't know you had just posted this before I wrote my post. Great minds haha

NLunited

Whatever happened to that Korean streamer Gamst? He was hilarious.

GregM40

We've had such a crap season I can't help but savour this game for as long as I can, probably until we play Brentford, then it's back to business. I hope this is the result that spurs the team on to top 4/5 and the cup, which considering how bad it's been, would be a fantastic end to the season.

Spark

Whatever happened to that Korean streamer Gamst? He was hilarious.
Is it this one? Because yeah, he is fecking hilarious.

19 mins for the Diallo winner. but the run around the chair for the Antony goal is top notch.

NLunited

19 mins for the Diallo winner. but the run around the chair for the Antony goal is top notch.
Thanks! I‘m glad he‘s still at it.

Gator Nate

Watching through for the second time last night, I don't think we were nearly as ineffective the second half as is being made out. It was more even, maybe, but I really think we had the better game going most of the way through. I really thought our ball movement was better than it has been all season throughout the game. Our passing wasn't as delayed as it usually is and one-touches were much more common. Heads were up and aware more than usual. Hoping that means it's starting to click with everyone.

I’ve seen loads of these ‘fans watching games’ videos and always thought they’re dreadful.

THIS GUY is fantastic!

His baby sulk when Rashford missed in the last seconds of normal time…

Riding the giraffe (with a Ji Sung park United top) when we got to 3-3…

Singing some United song, going all serious/standing to attention like it was a national anthem and grabbing the giraffe to line up next to him :lol:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Not sure if this angle has been shared on here yet but it's probably my favourite out of all the clips I've rewatched dozens of times.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Not sure if this angle has been shared on here yet but it's probably my favourite out of all the clips I've rewatched dozens of times.
Liverpool players look kind of weirdly helpless. Fast break. It was a sublime hit by Diallo tbf

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool