FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Manchester United 4:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 March 2024

Woodzy

Who else was screaming at McTominay for making the wrong pass just before Rashford scored?

redmanx

Nobody gave us a chance, I was just praying we werent humiliated, but, for the first time this season every player did his bit, and more! Every player showed passion, spirit and desire and although that dropped off a bit in the second half they rallied and came again, not once but twice! Theres still a lot of room for improvement, we still gave the ball away needlessly and carelessly, a few heads did drop around the hour mark, but games like this can and surely must be the spur to kick on! This was one of those games, like in 1999 against Juventus in Turin, Arsenal at Wembley and Bayern Munich in Barcelona, that fans who were there will remember all their lives!

Captmfla

Well done! Old Trafford is where legends are made. Amazing performance from the lads showing they wanted it more!

moodyred

My stream was lagging and when I saw the comment "great goal" while pools were taking the corner, I feared the worst. That fear became elation in seconds. What a game! What a game!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The final is on my birthday too. So hopefully.. HOPEFULLY
It struck me before the game started and I held on to it throughout...

Last time we had a Dutch manager he missed out on CL football but won us the FA Cup and then got sacked the next day.

ETH following his footsteps, clearly.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
although at times, Liverpool dominated us, they kind of lost momentum just passing the ball around trying to take the piss. then United kinda went berserk and Liverpool just couldn't regain the same momentum. I found it ironic that some of the most castigated players on here scored - Rashford and Antony (although Id still rather have Amad on the bench than Antony) and that old carthorse Maguire played like a man possessed. Everyone of them contributed. Just exhilarating and like TedLasso on here, I shed a few tears at the end, too (and Im an old git). please, please, maintain that mindset, guys

Robertd0803

Get in there

By Christ that was amazing thought we were done in extra time but that was something else altogether.

Amads red card is easily our best red card of all time.

Still buzzing

BorisManUtd

Well I watched most of our games this season and then I miss best one it seems. Great to see we won and in such a dramatic fashion.

Also I'm not so sure about our chances vs Liverpool in few weeks when we meet them again in the league so brilliant that we won today.

Will be difficult to actually go and win the cup given that City are so good but we'll see. First we'll have to beat Coventry anyway.

James Jones

That might be the greatest game post Sir Alex. The fans intervened and willed us to withstand the onslaught. Football bloody hell

Cantonagotmehere

Not felt as good about a United win since the PSG game.

Yeah it's just the fa cup and we're still outsiders with City in it, but we will never, ever again, beat Liverpool like that.

We were trash most of the second half but we also got hit with unlucky goals at horrible times and just refused to go away.

Last few minutes and extra time were proper old school United. We're gonna come at you with everything and it's up to you to do something about it.

Garnacho just never stops, Bruno playing about 8 different positions, Mainoo looking like he's played in these games 500 times before, Rashford sticking it to Liverpool as he always seems to. All of the subs making a big impact. Dalot suddenly being one of my favourite players. The idiotic ITV agenda punditry flying back in their faces. Not really any player I could pick out and criticise. 90% of our good for the season so far packed into one game.

If we'd lost that on penalties or even 3-2 I'd have genuinely thought, you know what, fair play for once, we threw everything we could at them, probably deserved better. Great when it actually gets rewarded.
Summed it up mate. Great post. Said about 90% of all that to my 16 year old son post game. :)

Stig

Gret result, one I didnt expect. glad TH said were building for the near future (he might not be here though) With Amad Garnacho Mainoo and Hojlund. Others to come through as well.
That was ETH defending his position to Sir Jim.

The Oracle

Absolutely sensational from Utd.

Wembley, Wembley, we're the famous Man Utd and we're going to Wembley!

reelworld

Garnacho impressed the hell out of me tonight.
His work rate and determination was fantastic tonight, always running, never stop trying to make something positive with the ball.
Mainoo too, what a fecking player he'll turn out to be.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I haven't seen the entire team, including subs, playing so hard and for each other, in years. Everybody gave their all, and as a team, not just running around aimlessly individually. That night in Paris, when we beat PSG under Ollie comes close but in a way this was above and beyond anything since Fergie. It may have been just one FA Cup match, but it was also the spirit I had no idea we had left in our team.

Young kids were sensational - Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad. So proud of them.

Happy day, a very happy day. Well done everybody, including Erik

Last edited:

Wisqo

What a game. Neutrals must have loved it. Great to see us play with passion. Really dug in and got the result we deserved. Beauty of the cup, and how sweet against our bigger rivals. Mainoo is going to be a world class player. Oozes quality and confidence.

always_hoping

United was the better team in the 1st half mostly certainly did not deserve to be 2-1 behind. Not great 2nd half but subs brought a spark back into the team and for extra time United was the best team. Correct call by posters here to name Garnacho man of the match. All through the 120 minutes he kept trying to make things happen and ran himself into the ground. That win will be all the more sweeter if United go on to win the FA Cup.

the_cliff

Got to love Yorkie, he was tryna stay neutral but it came out. 'you're not better than us'.

NICanRed

When I saw how we started with AWB at left back I thought "that's interesting - they won't have expected that," But that was just the start - no-one (not even the Caf) could have predicted the line-ups in the last 40 minutes - and it was changing all the time. They couldn't help but be confused. Was that clever planning or just mayhem?
As many have said I had forgotten what a win like that felt like.
Sad, of course, that Amad had to get that yellow - I agree that it's a silly rule but maybe not as silly as taking off your shirt - why do that? (I have sometimes ripped my shirt off in excitement but that was when I was anticipating scoring!!)

Red & White

This reminded me of those incredible matches in 1999 against Juventus in the CL semis, Arsenal in the FA Cup semis, and Bayern Munich in the CL Final!
Exactly my thoughts! Highs like this is what it’s all about.

Betson

You, wonder is it all worth i t , but days kike this make it all worthwhile. i haven't stopped smiling fr the last 8 hours.

Last edited:

noelyman

Got to love Yorkie, he was tryna stay neutral but it came out. 'you're not better than us'.
Even after the game still sour grapes from Mcateer. Acted like we were under the cosh for the whole game. The delusion is real.

Sgreddevil

ETH was visibly more animated than usual. Ineos might have told him it was his crunch match to prove he deserve to stay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
ETH was visibly more animated than usual. Ineos might have told him it was his crunch match to prove he deserve to stay.
I'm sure he understands whats at stake the rest of this season. If it looks like CL football is gone (which it isn't) then getting bounced out of the FA Cup could've been curtains for him. Now, it looks like we have a decent shot of making the CL, which when you factor in injured players returning, could make for a stronger than expected finish.

foolsgold

Wondering a bit about the Liverpool decision to pull Salah in the 77th minute, he certainly faded a bit in the second, I was wondering if this might be because he couldn't take on any fluids or food after sunrise due to fasting. It's certainly going to have an impact on a top level athlete.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 365 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 18% Man Utd 1:3 Liverpool