PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Luton Town

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 November 2023

Bestietom

We still can't get it right in Midfield. If Casemiro is sold in January we need to bring in Andre. Mainoo should be given his chance now.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
We still can't get it right in Midfield. If Casemiro is sold in January we need to bring in Andre. Mainoo should be given his chance now.
Well something needs doing with the midfield because it isn't working either in attack or defence at the moment.
Eriksson looks done. Absolutely no legs.
McTominay is an ok 8, terrible 6. He will never get to play 8 effectively with Bruno in the team as they are in each others way.

Hughie77

It's another win. It should have been more than 1 but they can't finish there dinner so far.. to be 5 pts off Spurs with the dreadful Start isn't that bad even with a - goal difference..

The team cannot score goals ..and maybe thats why Mitchel was watching MG in Spain?

Bestietom

We can't buy a goal atm.Need to find someone who can kickstart a goalscoring spree for us ASAP. We may have to bring someone up from Academy or under 21s.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

The XG backs up immediate impressions regarding chance creation and general performance: 2.74. It's been quite a long time since we had as much as 2, last against Fulham it was 0.7.

Edit: Actually, it's our second highest xG in the PL this season, only the Forest game was higher.

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

We can't buy a goal atm.Need to find someone who can kickstart a goalscoring spree for us ASAP. We may have to bring someone up from Academy or under 21s.
What position do you think we need to improve to start scoring goals? Striker seems the most obvious but there is no one in the Academy or U21s anywhere near Hojlund.

Bestietom

What position do you think we need to improve to start scoring goals? Striker seems the most obvious but there is no one in the Academy or U21s anywhere near Hojlund.
Didn't mention anything about dropping Hojlund. It's someone to help him i'm talking about. Rashford and Antony don't seem to work and although Garnacho is trying hard we still can't buy a goal.

justsomebloke

You’re only annoyed because it’s true
No, I'm annoyed because it just puts the obvious into a current narrative template. It would have been more appropriate after the Fulham game, here there were actually quite a few positives. But that's how it is - on the way down we get better press than we deserve, once the negative view has been entrenched we get it worse than we deserve. Like they're writing on delay.

crossy1686

career ending
No, I'm annoyed because it just puts the obvious into a current narrative template. It would have been more appropriate after the Fulham game, here there were actually quite a few positives. But that's how it is - on the way down we get better press than we deserve, once the negative view has been entrenched we get it worse than we deserve. Like they're writing on delay.
They usually do this though so people don’t accuse them of over reacting to one game, and the appetite for these kind of articles only increases when more and more people are starting to come to an agreement that things are actually shit. All the stories about the players have been sat on for weeks and they’ve just started coming out also. It’s called keeping your powder dry.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Onana - he actually looks the part since everyone decided he was shite

Dalot - dont like to keep banging on about this but he really is stupid. Watch how Regulion overlaps or runs inside depending on whether hes running into the space or cresting it for his winger. Then watch Dalot, who just, I dunno, randomly runs 20 yards in field because he hasn't done it for a few minutes, then gets there and just stands there because there was no purpose to running there to begin with.

Mount - please stop playing him instead of a midfield. I thought he was fine when he came on in terms of his performance (apart from channelling Fred with the odd kamikaze pass), but Luton were suddenly able to keep the ball for 5 minutes at a time because our midfield was just Mctominay. If it doesn't work at home against Luton, guess what?

Luton - So their tactics were what? Inflict suffering and misery upon themselves and everyone watching to try and make it feel more like they were still in Luton?

Ten Hag - I've had enough of him refusing to have a basic understanding of how a midfield works and why literally every other team has one.

Refereeing award for the top 5 pieces of quality refereeing in a game where nothing even happened:
5) Repeated awarding of throw ins to the wrong team on the basis that one of their players half claimed for it so must be telling the truth
4) lengthy stoppage so he could go give his uber eats order to the touchline assistant..
3) Lindelof being awarded a foul for rugby tackling an opposition player
2) Foul awarded against Mctominay because the ball hit a Luton player in the face while Mctominay was stood sort of near them
1) Garnacho being offside due to being trodden on while running after a pass from Garnacho

Detailed overall analysis - What an awful game

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Bit late but that was a slog. Should have been clean out of sight but we seem to have forgotten how to score.

El-Manos

Well something needs doing with the midfield because it isn't working either in attack or defence at the moment.
Eriksson looks done. Absolutely no legs.
McTominay is an ok 8, terrible 6. He will never get to play 8 effectively with Bruno in the team as they are in each others way.
Christ.

didz

The XG backs up immediate impressions regarding chance creation and general performance: 2.74. It's been quite a long time since we had as much as 2, last against Fulham it was 0.7.

Edit: Actually, it's our second highest xG in the PL this season, only the Forest game was higher.
And it actually should have been higher. Garnacho's one on one chance was only valued at 0.08xG, due to him making the goalscoring opportunity significantly worse with his extra touch. Rashford's biggest chance measures at 0.26 even after making a similar mistake. Fine margins in decisive moments and all that.

Lentwood

I think our fullbacks are a huge problem.

Our tactic was clearly find Reguilon in space on the left, and we did several times. Unfortunately he lacks that extra bit of quality to make him a real attacking threat so we didn't do much with it.

The threat from Dalot on the right is non-existent. Funny this forum decided a while ago that he was an 'attacking RB'...bloke has like fewer than 10 career assists!

Might be telling that without Shaw and AWB we've struggled to create as much

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I didn't think it was as bad as I see the reactions in here. We need to start being clinical, we created several clear cut chances we didn't take, against a side who came to defend.

Small improvements, but I am seeing them. Shaw and Martinez need to come back pronto though, I can't stand to see us playing out from the back as it stands.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I didn't think it was as bad as I see the reactions in here. We need to start being clinical, we created several clear cut chances we didn't take, against a side who came to defend.

Small improvements, but I am seeing them. Shaw and Martinez need to come back pronto though, I can't stand to see us playing out from the back as it stands.
It certainly suits the doom mongers on here. Perhaps I'm hopelessly optimistic but soon than later Rashford will start scoring again and he will go from being dross to being one of the best players on the planet....overnight

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It certainly suits the doom mongers on here. Perhaps I'm hopelessly optimistic but soon than later Rashford will start scoring again and he will go from being dross to being one of the best players on the planet....overnight
I think I'm giving Rashford an extra long leash, as I thought we should have sold him to PSG couple of seasons ago - then he went on to have a blinder of a season. I hope the faith is not misplaced, but as you say, he surely has to revert to the mean at some point? That would be a massive improvement from what we're getting now.

RedDevilRoshi

Just watched the highlights now as been away on holiday, so had no idea how the game went other than what the score was. Going by the highlights, thought we played well & should have won by a bigger margin if our players knew how to score.

Glad our numerous missed chances didn’t come back to haunt us later in the game.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Luton Town
  • 17% Man Utd 3:0 Luton Town